PDA

View Full Version : rapidpeer turboFTP fast for OVH seedboxes (the best seedboxes)

seeder22
08-13-2010, 10:32 PM
ive had seedboxes for about a year now, xirvik for about 7 months and then rapidpeer for the past 2 months. Xirvik was great, i had an OVH shared box/package there and it often times maxed out the 100mbit (doing 11-12 MB/sec)

i only do private torrent sites like ipt and bitme so for me ive always found NO other data center even comes CLOSE to OVH for speeds. if you are doing private that is.

Im in the US and everyone knows OVH has not so good peering to outside their large private network (ive read they have like 100k server and are one of the largest DCs in the world) so when i read about turboFTP at RapidPeer it seemed like the perfect solution for OVH's slow peering to the US and rest of the world essentially. this is why i switched from xirvik a few months ago (i cant afford 2 even shared seedboxes). that and RapidPeer was a small bit cheaper.

anyway the turboftp maxes out my ftp connection in both directions (i have 20mbit cox modem) and i can also do ftp to my actual seedbox at the same time from another colo box i have and thats fast too..its pretty cool feature. it does look liek xirivk now has tons of new features they must have added after i left a few months ago..like LOTS of features and addons, but no turbo ftp type feature.

ive also read a lot of bad stuff about rapidpeer around but i guess ive been luck or they have cleaned up their act recently

spiridonov
08-17-2010, 01:23 PM
turboFTP seems like a nice feature.
It won't get around routing problems though, since it's in the same datacenter.

I've heard some seedbox providers (Custom?) can give you an FTP proxy for free if you are a customer.
The proxy is on a different network/datacenter so it can get around US<->Europe routing issues (especially with places like OVH).

seeder22
08-21-2010, 02:56 PM
having a FTP proxy server at a DIFFERENT data center than you seedbox will NOT help with the speeds / routing.

if the routing from ovh to you is bad, odds are the routing from OVH to FDC (or other USA datacenter) is also very bad too.

the only real point to FTP proxy servers is to use the data centers internal bandwidth to move the files to your home, as your seedbox will always be maxed out either upload or download bandwidth.

EDIT:
just to be clear your seedbxo will be maxed out bandwidth wise at the Datacenter core router level, not full 100mbit intranet thus you can still use the internal network to move the file to your FTP proxy which has little to no usage/load.

spiridonov
08-29-2010, 08:44 AM
having a FTP proxy server at a DIFFERENT data center than you seedbox will NOT help with the speeds / routing.

if the routing from ovh to you is bad, odds are the routing from OVH to FDC (or other USA datacenter) is also very bad too.

For some people in Asia/Australia connectivity to OVH goes through 1-2 intermediary carriers.
Having a proxy in between can help avoid some bad intermediary routing.

Home ISP <-> Carrier-1 <-> Carrier-2 <-> OVH

A bad/overloaded connection between Carrier-1 and Carrier-2 can really screw up the connection.
This for some people can speed things up considerably:

Home ISP <-> Carrier-3 (Proxy) <-> OVH

But I agree, "turboFTP" is really a cool idea. I wish my dedi could do that :)

seeder22
08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
true i didnt not think of that scenario, but unless they have a huge mass of customers over in those areas....

rapidpeer has turboFTP offtered on my dedicated box with them and i use both ftps to fully max out my 45 mbit line here in the usa...