PDA

View Full Version : obscure music tracker?

baskinghobo
08-17-2010, 12:56 PM
is it legal to upload copyrighted music to the web that cannot be found on itunes store etc? Many people cry foul when a mp3 private tracker shuts down that all the obscure music that has dissapeared and cannot be found anywhere else on the internet. I think someone should create a private tracker solely for obscure music that cannot be found on the web and ban people for posting music that can easily be bought on the itunes store.

ca_aok
08-17-2010, 01:44 PM
I think you're describing indietorrents, they have a no-RIAA/major labels allowed rule. In many cases what people call "obscure" would still be on major labels though, and they're not really about being an archival site.

And no, it's not allowed to upload files that aren't found on the iTunes store (LOL). Whether or not something is in the iTunes store has nothing to do with whether it's copyrighted... there are tons of albums that aren't available there (just an example of why piracy will always be a better alternative to for-pay online stores).

anon
08-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I've heard Shellife is an "obscure" music tracker. :unsure:

ca_aok
08-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Shellife is mostly shoegaze, dream-pop and post-rock.

IdolEyes787
08-17-2010, 05:31 PM

47411 to the idiots that feel the need to categorize music down to ridiculous sub-sub--sub genres in a ludicrous attempt to try and prove how cool they are.

To quote William Martin Joel "It's still Rock and Roll to me ".

senegal
08-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I recommand dimeadozen. Very obscure tracker.

ca_aok
08-17-2010, 07:00 PM

47411 to the idiots that feel the need to categorize music down to ridiculous sub-sub--sub genres in a ludicrous attempt to try and prove how cool they are.

I wouldn't say any of those subgenres sound anything like "Rock 'n' Roll" as Joel envisions it. I find subgenres are nice for giving a clearer picture of a band's general sound, though the sub-sub-sub genres do get a bit ridiculous, especially in electronic music.

senegal
08-17-2010, 07:28 PM
here is something obscure:

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1073911/6a475199/dumpert_muziek.html

Funkin'
08-17-2010, 07:54 PM

I completely agree. Spend anytime at some music forums, and you'll read people rattling off the most stupid sounding metals genre's. It seems like a new one pops up everyday. It's all metal me to me. Not grind core, or math core, or turkey core, or monkey core, etc. :rolleyes:

Anyways, at the OP, as caaok mentioned IndieTorrents is pretty good for music you won't usually come across elsewhere. But I personally think Soulseek is even better for it. Give it a download/install and have a look around.

ca_aok
08-17-2010, 08:11 PM
As a general rule, anything that ends in "core" should be avoided :P

For an example of metal that sounds completely different, maybe compare some Doom stuff like Sun O))) to any generic thrash stuff like Slayer. Doesn't sound similar at all.

Oh and I find Soulseek to be bad for finding new music (as there are no descriptions, comments, etc). Most of the time I turn to Soulseek with something specific in mind. And yeah you can browse user lists or hang out in the chat channels and pick up suggestions there, but still...

Quarterquack
08-18-2010, 01:40 AM
As a general rule, anything that ends in "core" should be avoided :P

And yet metalcore/melodic death metal is one of the most popular genres of metal out there (right under viking/folk metal in the hierarchy, and I hope that joke isn't wasted).
Linkinpark's rapcore seems to be embraced by many a new band.

:whistling

4rainertunes
08-18-2010, 02:25 AM
I'd recommend a filesharing program called Soulseek (slsk.net). I know standalone filesharing programs aren't cool these days, but it's the best source I've found for rare music. It's slow, you have to wait in line for files, etc...but it's great if you're looking for that rare b-side. I use Waffles for What.cd for everything else.

th0r
08-18-2010, 05:00 AM
For an example of metal that sounds completely different, maybe compare some Doom stuff like Sun O))) to any generic thrash stuff like Slayer.srsly, if you're going to mention this group of pure brain melting drone awesomeness, at least spell it right:

sunn0)))

beshawn
08-18-2010, 05:16 AM
The problem with the idea of an obscure music tracker is getting a userbase together that actually appreciates it. It's generally obscure for a reason... Right now there's quite a few obscure/rare albums on soulseek, which other people have mentioned as a source. There's also blogs dedicated to obscure music, some contain all genres while others focus on very specific types of music or releases (e.g. rare 7" records, country-specific releases, or era-specific releases).

So if you care about finding obscure music (and more importantly HEARING it) and aren't an audiophile who needs FLAC, you really have more options than ever before by having a good music tracker (what.cd comes to mind), soulseek, and a folder of bookmarked blogs :)

The quality of MP3s you find on soulseek and blogs will vary, 128 bit MP3s are still prevalent, but slowly going the way of the dodo; considering the releases may be vinyl only, limited to X amount of editions, or just very rare if you want to hear the music its still worth it, at least it is to me.

Google is your friend for blogs, and you can learn about Soulseek here: http://www.slsknet.org/

elbuitre
08-19-2010, 07:35 AM
The best thing you can do is to have all sources you can get, Soulseek/private trackers/google is often your best chance of getting something you're looking for. As for obscure music trackers to, i guess the obvious that have been mentioned indietorrents and shellife. Shellife having a similar rule to what you are mentioning, no mainstream releases allowed, regardless of label. Both are different sites though no doubt, with a different style of music and in general. If you're looking for things harsh, like punk or noise, go for IT; If however, you are more interested in the lush, pretty side of music shellife has more of it.

As a repository of obscure music, that's the whole idea of p2p, am i right? We all backup some stuff, and we need websites to gather to share. what (or a huge site like that) is the best for that end right now, and it's on the hands of its users to not letting files disappear. All too idealistic i know but it's surprising how big this thing is.