PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Warnings

Beck38
08-18-2010, 04:54 PM
I'd probably have a few more items, if I spent any more time trying to work out problems with this new OS, but despite many folks giving this a thumbs up (maybe because of the near universal rejection of Vista when it first came out), there are some extreme problems with Win7 folks should know 'up front', and here are the 'biggies' (after a couple weeks):

1. Even though Win7 comes with .NET Framework 2.0, there are a TON of programs that require pieces of previous (.NET 1.1 etc.) Frameworks to properly work, and Win7 won't allow them to be installed. Finding those specific pieces, and getting information into exactly where in the OS they need to be attempted to be 'shoved in', is a real exercise. Note that these DO work just fine, as well as installing the actual full .NET Framework(s) on VISTA and earlier OS machines, just not on Win7. Have fun :pinch:

2. Win7 locks the Directshow and associated Windows Media Center drivers/codecs into a Microsoft Only mode of operation (sounds like Apple!). The only way one can 'attempt' to get other player systems to work is through a s/w
'Filter Tweaker' device, and it's operation is iffy at best. In short, one cannot run 3rd party media players with any reasonable expectation they will work.

3. For some bizarre reasoning (again, those who went through the early days of Vista can probably relate), Microsoft has changed course completely on their networking strategy, one that has existed in a pretty straight line since before Win95, through NT/2000/XP and Vista. Trying to make Win7 'play nice' with a heterogeneous networking environment with earlier Microsoft networks is an absolute horror. Like points 1 and 2 above, there are a plethora of 'work arounds', some that work for a while, then mysteriously quit, most that don't work at all with either XP or W2K (although they are somewhat stable with Vista, and I'll underline 'somewhat').

In short, 'What a Disaster'. Although I didn't try Vista until after the first Service Pack was released (and I'll have to say, it's performed rather well with only a few OS related problems that are well documented at this point), I think I can fully relate to those 'early adopters'.

Avoid if you can. I'm having this machine changed to Vista. I guess the old saw of 'wait until a service pack is released' admonition is still in full force with Microsoft OS products!