PDA

View Full Version : PS3 running backups? It's more likely than you think!

rewtrewt
08-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Well guys, it appears that the PS3 has (finally) been hacked! According to PS3News.com aswell as other reputable sources a new USB-based modchip is able to transform a regular PS3 system into a debug unit, which allows us to run unsigned code!

To quote from their page (linked above) on the PSJailBreak Specifications:

- PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.
- Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.
- Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA
- PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.
- Supports all games (it does not allow backups of bluray movies , dvd movies , or past consoles games)
- Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blueray burners and costly blank media.
- Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blueray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.
- Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.
- Fully updatable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.

PSJailBreak F.A.Q.:

Q: Is PS Jailbreak easy to install?
A: Yes, it is a plug and play solution. It takes 1 second to fully install, without modifying or opening your console.

Q: Does it permanently modify my console?
A: No of course not, once you unplug it from the usb port it is completely disabled.

Q: How do you install PS Jailbreak?
A: Please consult our downloads page for our instruction manual. We have done our best to make it as thorough as possible to answer all setup and troubleshooting issues.

Q: What is the warranty?
A: PS Jailbreak is sold with a 1 year warranty. All our resellers will take care of warranty issues.

Read more: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-hacks/psjailbreak-playstation-3-jailbreak-ps3-consoles-arrives-112034.html#ixzz0x2Evbgg7

So, anyone else really excited for this?

iLOVENZB
08-19-2010, 09:54 AM
So, anyone else really excited for this?

By excited do you mean the constant battles with Homebrew devs and Sony then yes :D. Or do you mean games sky rocketing because of the supposed profit loss due to piracy? In the piraters defence Sony never (http://www.geek.com/articles/games/activision-ps3-price-too-high-might-stop-supporting-sony-20090619/) did too well with the PS3.

By the way here's a demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOEbZEkp9A

rewtrewt
08-19-2010, 11:19 AM
By excited do you mean the constant battles with Homebrew devs and Sony then yes :D.

Yup, that's what I meant! As long as the PS3 doesn't become a new PSP where noone ever buys games anymore this could be very exciting, homebrewwise. Will be interesting to see what the homebrew devs can do on the PS3.

iLOVENZB
08-19-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't think Homebrew devs can ruin the PS3. There are so many cool features that are possible that Sony hasn't implemented for various reasons.

Can't wait to hear Sony's next announcement.

jackywky
08-28-2010, 06:31 AM
$169 and no PSN support, I wont buy it.

rdtphd
08-30-2010, 07:49 PM
sony's next announcement is they want to ban this device (=

S!X
08-31-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but is a mod like this patachable with a simple firmware update from Sony? It's surprising it took this long to finally run back-ups on the console. Sony must of did something right in terms of anti-piracy...... until now.

Quarterquack
08-31-2010, 06:29 AM
S!X: The console is a complete lock down, the way it was finally cracked is by using pre-configured priority access. So, I'd say that was a vulnerability, over a crack method.

Onto your question, yes, the next firmware will probably patch this issue, by altering some parameters, or even sandboxing/randomizing them, effectively ending this vulnerability's graceful run. I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's incredibly easy for game developers to "disallow" their games from running on any systems except for the "latest" firmware bearers at the time of the release, or for games to start requiring internet connection on the very first start-up. Game hackers could start altering rips/images, but the issue will truly start to arise in about a year, when newer games are dependent on firmware-based commands/parameters.

In short: You're probably going to spend 169$ on the chance that you could own every game released on the PS3 upto this point. However, you'd need to buy a new PS3 to play future games in the not too distant future, ultimately making any savings worthless.

The best thing to do is wait and see how the story unfolds, but I doubt it will be much different than what I laid out here.

l33tpirata13
09-02-2010, 07:04 AM
You dont have to spend $169, you can just buy a blackcat usb for 40usd and thats it. I had one laying around and i got it up and running backups.

ELearner
09-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Great news.

Krunch
09-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Finally broke into the PS3