PDA

View Full Version : DVD authoring software.

devilsadvocate
08-19-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm looking for a decent free (not cracked) easy to use, full function, DVD authoring program pretty similar to windows DVD maker.

I used to use windows DVD maker which is IMO fantastic for my needs, however the program stopped functioning a while back and the consensus is that it was caused by codecs from other sources and fixing it requires a system restore that I don't wish to do.

At the moment I'm using roxio creator and it blows donkeys.

The ability to make a DVD without menus would be a plus.

Any reviews of programs you've used would be much appreciated.

bigdogg2020
08-22-2010, 07:13 PM
if you really don't want to pay for nero, roxy is problaby one of your only options. You should really think about paying for software, as you get what you pay for. Roxy does blow, but it come free with a lot of packages. maybe try this: InfraRecorder...haven't used it, but heard good reviews.

devilsadvocate
08-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Infrarecorder isn't really what I'm looking for, but thanks anyway.

The limited use I would make of the extra functions of the commercial programs wouldn't justify the cost.

What I am doing is transferring family video onto the computer, editing it with movie maker and then making DVD's from various clips. So I want menus and others I don't. Windows DVD maker had great menus.

I can still burn DVD's, just prefer a certain type of software.

bigdogg2020
08-22-2010, 08:42 PM
are you familiar with editing programs that you can actually just create the entire file, then just burn it? MAybe in like flash or in other programs

did you change operating systems? where the movie maker could've stopped working? I was just looking around, and maybe the service pack update?

devilsadvocate
08-22-2010, 09:27 PM
are you familiar with editing programs that you can actually just create the entire file, then just burn it? MAybe in like flash or in other programs
I already do that for discs where I don't want a menu
did you change operating systems? where the movie maker could've stopped working? I was just looking around, and maybe the service pack update?

Windows DVD maker came with the OS (vista). I can import photo and video files into it, either from files or directly from movie maker. The problem happens when I get to the select menu stage, I get the stopped working and needs to be closed down error message. Almost every question about this problem pins down to outside codecs and simply removing the codecs doesn't solve it. The only solution offered (and it's offered everywhere) is to factory restore the system and I REALLY don't want to do that.

There may well be a solution but so far I have been unable to find it.

pone44
08-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Why not try another program?
Here is a list of free video editing software similar to Win DVD maker with reviews. Not sure if that will help.
http://www.isoftwarereviews.com/free-video-editing-software-programs/

I already do that for discs where I don't want a menu

Windows DVD maker came with the OS (vista). I can import photo and video files into it, either from files or directly from movie maker. The problem happens when I get to the select menu stage, I get the stopped working and needs to be closed down error message. Almost every question about this problem pins down to outside codecs and simply removing the codecs doesn't solve it. The only solution offered (and it's offered everywhere) is to factory restore the system and I REALLY don't want to do that.

There may well be a solution but so far I have been unable to find it.

Did you uninstall Windows DVD maker and then reinstall it?

ziggyjuarez
08-22-2010, 10:57 PM
DVDFlick
Free.Easy.

grekko
08-23-2010, 11:02 AM
DVDFlick
Free.Easy.

Couldn't agree more, so simple to use and so quick.

devilsadvocate
08-23-2010, 01:08 PM
DVDFlick
Free.Easy.

Downloaded and took a quick look, will try it out fully later. Seems to be pretty much what I'm looking for. I appreciate the tip

thanks.

Appzalien
08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Look here in the answer right beneath the intial question:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/545286-solved-dvr-windows-dvd-maker.html
Near the end of the page its mentioned they cannot rename the file you can try using unlocker ro do what they did go into safe mode to do it.

.ax files are parts of codecs that sometimes get left behind when unistalling, because their locked from corruption. If the freeware Unlocker can't unlock them, then use safe mode where only a few drivers and services get installed.

devilsadvocate
08-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Look here in the answer right beneath the intial question:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/545286-solved-dvr-windows-dvd-maker.html
Near the end of the page its mentioned they cannot rename the file you can try using unlocker ro do what they did go into safe mode to do it.

.ax files are parts of codecs that sometimes get left behind when unistalling, because their locked from corruption. If the freeware Unlocker can't unlock them, then use safe mode where only a few drivers and services get installed. Thanks for the link, but I actually did all that some time back, I think from the same link you posted, without success. I did quite a lot of research trying to solve the problem.

ziggyjuarez
08-24-2010, 08:42 AM
DVDFlick
Free.Easy.

Downloaded and took a quick look, will try it out fully later. Seems to be pretty much what I'm looking for. I appreciate the tip

thanks.

Make sure under project settings, Burning, You click burn project to disc.I just started to burn dvds myself so i dont know if all dvd software have this simple easy to miss problem.I've made 10 dvds in 3 days:01:

Appzalien
08-30-2010, 01:27 PM
"Thanks for the link, but I actually did all that some time back, I think from the same link you posted, without success. I did quite a lot of research trying to solve the problem."

It just seems to me that if one app appears broken, replacing it with another does not make the issue go away. If you do not fix the problem with one software who's to say it will not popup on another. On that note I can tell you I have had issues with only one codec, XVID. For some reason it likes to crash causing its drivers to become corrupted. It can easily be fixed by installing the exact same installer over itself, or by uninstalling, cleaning the registry and reinstalling a new version. I have been told and its my experience (I don't always listen well) using codec packs will usually cause more issues than they solve, yet its the first answer many people give when you have problems "install the Maxy Stupid Moron Codec Pack its great". When it does work its usuually because it correctly overwites the xvid codec without issues. If you do not have a registry cleaner you use, go to the mydigitallife website and in the search box put "tuneup utilities" then look for the link to the 2008 version where you will get both the app and a serial for it. Its an older version but it no slouch and its registry cleaner is the cats meow. I do not like it one click mantenance however and I immediately turn it off after install from the upper right "gears like thingy" settings drop down. Besides, cleaning the registry every so often avoids issues too.

devilsadvocate
09-05-2010, 05:35 PM
It just seems to me that if one app appears broken, replacing it with another does not make the issue go away. If you do not fix the problem with one software who's to say it will not popup on another. On that note I can tell you I have had issues with only one codec, XVID. For some reason it likes to crash causing its drivers to become corrupted. It can easily be fixed by installing the exact same installer over itself, or by uninstalling, cleaning the registry and reinstalling a new version. I have been told and its my experience (I don't always listen well) using codec packs will usually cause more issues than they solve, yet its the first answer many people give when you have problems "install the Maxy Stupid Moron Codec Pack its great". When it does work its usuually because it correctly overwites the xvid codec without issues. If you do not have a registry cleaner you use, go to the mydigitallife website and in the search box put "tuneup utilities" then look for the link to the 2008 version where you will get both the app and a serial for it. Its an older version but it no slouch and its registry cleaner is the cats meow. I do not like it one click mantenance however and I immediately turn it off after install from the upper right "gears like thingy" settings drop down. Besides, cleaning the registry every so often avoids issues too.
I had a problem with xvid on my previous computer. The dvd would be written with half the screen being a green bar. It was a simple fix by checking the Compatibility Renderer box for xvid. I've never installed codec packs, but have had issues with codecs that come with 3rd party software.

The DVDFlick is working fine. It could do with some better menu choices, but it's pretty much what I was looking for.

There are plenty of programs available, I just wanted to hear from people that have actually tried one.

SelfMadeMMAn
10-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Free and easy to use is DVD Shrink, does everything I need and probably what you want

devilsadvocate
10-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Free and easy to use is DVD Shrink, does everything I need and probably what you want As far as I'm aware DVD shrink makes copies, not dvd authoring.