PDA

View Full Version : Rapidspeeds Gbit NL review/discussion

Thelen
08-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Doesn't seem to be one of these yet so I'll just make it :)

I've had it (4GB 1TB version) for about 48 hours now, so far nothing that impressive. Download hit 45MB/s from a 85GB SCC pack with plenty of peers. Upload on 6 small public torrents (TV shows) isn't going above 12MB/s, definitely lack of BW (5Gbps per rack of 35 servers =~140Mbit each roughly)

However, given it is all new, everyone is thrashing the connection so perhaps in a few more days it will settle down a bit. For the price, still very decent for unmetered 100Mbit LW.

So far haven't tested file up/down speeds, will test that shortly once the torrent BW stops being capped.

satya87
08-28-2010, 04:33 AM
Be it NL or OVH or any other country, 99 pounds for an unmetered 1000Mbps server is too low for good speeds, your download seems to be fine for a shared line remember SCC has all ovh boxes and OVH -> anywhere in the world outside of ovh is basically crappy routing so i would say 45MB/sec is fine to download

check ftp with another NL/OVH and see what you get with a single thread, that should give you a better indicator. Test upload via ftp too and also on private trackers with a lot of leechers and few seeders to get the best indicator. Never ever rely on public torrents (they are the worst for indicating speeds)

I just realized you are on ovh forums too LOL :P the amount of bitching there that goes on is amazing (i am there too). Was flipping out on internal bw being counted a week ago.

Thelen
08-28-2010, 09:06 AM
I did check via SCP and the total speed stayed at 12MB/s, it just stole 3 from the torrents. Public torrents are perfectly fine for testing, you are wrong about them being worse since private sites rarely have a lack of upload. But either which way, it is so consistently 12MB/s it is obviously being capped somewhere.

I've done all the maths and 99GBP for Gbit isn't too bad, they can easily deliver 200Mbit or more without a problem (normally anyway, perhaps not in the first few weeks of this new setup), so in that regard it isn't too bad. But not seeing much more than this, would be better off with a SP mini unmetered version.

I'll update this thread as time goes on, for a little last night I was 15MB/s but it has dropped down again.

satya87
08-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Well ask rapidspeeds why it is maxing out at only 12-15MB/sec it could be the set up it could be BW rapeage

mr.Dman
08-29-2010, 03:18 AM
There is a thread open on their forum maybe post something there so they can see it and answer questions there.

And others that have the servers can see what is going on with them

Thelen
08-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Why are you two treating me like a noob? This isn't a help thread, it is a review/discussion thread. I know perfectly well why it is maxing out there, and I have a ticket open and they are working on it as it is a general problem.

Perhaps you should take notice I run a seedbox company, and therefore know everything there is to know about this and probably don't need your advice....

spiridonov
08-29-2010, 08:33 AM
A guy at the RS forums is claiming his HDD is showing as "VMware Virtual Disk"
Is the 1TB model (D-1000) a real physical server or a VMware VPS?

heiska
08-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Why are you two treating me like a noob?

Perhaps you should take notice I run a seedbox company, and therefore know everything there is to know about this and probably don't need your advice....

Arrogance FTW.

Thelen
08-30-2010, 06:43 AM
I don't see that anywhere, where did he see it?

It performs far to well to be a VPS, it would have to be the bigger 2x1TB 8GB server with dual quad core split into only 2 users to be anywhere even close and even then only if the other person wasn't doing anything, which isn't the case.

heiska why don't you contribute something instead of being a total asshat troll?

satya87
08-31-2010, 05:48 PM
This is the exact attitude why noone wants to help you out when your server got hacked on OVH forums..noone was treatign you like a noob people are merely chipping in ideas..and helping u..big deal if you run a seedbox company..so do many others and do a much better job than you..you want to be arrogant so can everyone else be.

heiska said exactly what he had to..your language is rubbish and immature to say the least..when people are actually involved in discussions be it offering help or reviewing you have issues and then you have issues when people say the truth. grow up kiddo.

/end rant and gtfo :)

Thelen
09-01-2010, 06:39 AM
You do realise that thread was completely facetious right? I never expected anyone to help, it was all for teh lulz of seeing what reasons people could come up with for posting. I'm glad you think my posts, which are full of proper grammar and punctuation vs your drivel, is immature, as it shows your complete lack of maturity and rationality.

Seems the standard response on forums is either deliberately trolling, or posting with such arrogance and "zomg I score 25:3 on halo so I'm 1337 and know everything" that it seems the same, and this thread is no different. You might have actually stood a chance to look intelligent if you said something related to the discussion, rather than participating in the mutual blow-jobery between the trolls in the thread.

On to more sane posting, I've done a bunch more testing. Download FROM OVH to RS, did 40MB/s for about 5 seconds then dropped to about 15, then 6 by the end of the 600MB file. The reverse, all of about 350KB/s. Download FROM hostnoc to RS, did full 100Mbit, reverse the basically the same. From random other Gbit file mirrors in EU, barely hit more than 20MB/s down, couldn't test up obviously but it definitely wasn't a stable connection as the speed fluctuated heaps.

lmn8r
09-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Claiming you "know everything there is to know" is arrogant. I think hes referring to your signature. It's almost impossible for an operator of a competing seedbox company to impartially review any other seedbox company. I think you'll get a lot of antagonism based on that.

As the operator of a seedbox company you've got the burden of proving your credibility beyond that of a normal user in this situation. Automatically assuming X company sucks meanwhile surreptitiously promoting your own is called astroturfing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing).

Rilly
09-02-2010, 12:17 AM
A guy at the RS forums is claiming his HDD is showing as "VMware Virtual Disk"
Is the 1TB model (D-1000) a real physical server or a VMware VPS?

There was an answer in that thread now on that.. all the servers run esxi apparently (but are true dedi's)

Thelen
09-03-2010, 03:26 AM
I got no idea what you are smoking lmn8r, but rapidspeeds are NOT a seedbox company, they are a dedicated server company. Whether or not I run a seedbox company has nothing to do with my 'review'; i could easily just be a biased normal person and post a bad/good/whatever review.... Saying "It's almost impossible for an operator of a competing seedbox company to impartially review any other seedbox company. I think you'll get a lot of antagonism based on that." is stupid as well. Clearly seedbox users are going to be biased, they might just lack the financial motivation to be biased, but they are certainly still biased.

Saying I have the burden of proof for credibility BECAUSE I run a seedbox company is just stupid too. Do astronauts who have gone to space have to prove they know how to put on a space suit? That's just stupid... Likewise is "Claiming you "know everything there is to know" is arrogant." Claiming someone doesn't know all there is to know because they run a seedbox company, while you yourself can't even compile rtorrent, is beyond stupid. You are just embittered because you bought some cheapass seedbox and didn't get delivered because the provider was a 15yo scamming for money so he could buy gold in WoW.

Rilly if they all run esxi, that is possibly the problem, and completely and utterly stupid. Advertising as dedicated if it is virtualised (even such that it is only 1 user per server still), completely wrong. Though, all my torrent testing has shown similar results to all my other test servers, as a minimum guide, but the issue isn't that, it is exceeding the 15MB/s or so upload.

lmn8r
09-03-2010, 03:43 AM
When logic fails, use insults. I sure hope someone else does the customer support for your company :dry:

Thelen
09-03-2010, 11:53 AM
As in you displayed any logic? Lulz...

I do the customer support, and I treat the customers well, who treat me well. Those who complain that they aren't getting 500MB/s from their shared Gbit slot or any number of other stupid assumptions, or plain thinking they have a clue about how to setup a read-only FTP/SCP user or anything like that, promptly get the hard line.

I don't need smartass dickweeds like you for customer, you always take 100x as much energy to keep happy, and often ruin it for everyone else (eg using it for 29 days, doing paypal dispute on the last and thinking to get away with it (which btw you don't, 14 disputes and not one refund yet from people trying to scam like this)). If you think you have the zen touch, perhaps you should start a seedbox company, since by your logic I can't possibly have any customers due to my insults...

Bottom line is, I've yet to see much more than 15MB/s outgoing from this server, or more than 45MB/s incoming, and frankly that is pretty poor performance however you cut it.

Rilly
09-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Rilly if they all run esxi, that is possibly the problem, and completely and utterly stupid. Advertising as dedicated if it is virtualised (even such that it is only 1 user per server still), completely wrong. Though, all my torrent testing has shown similar results to all my other test servers, as a minimum guide, but the issue isn't that, it is exceeding the 15MB/s or so upload.

The reason they stated they run esxi is: (from their website)
Servers are managed by a vSphere system that controls bandwidth split between racks and will guarantee each server has a minimum of 200Mbps at all times, burstable upto 1Gbps - this system will also control the manager mentioned above - all resources (cpu, ram & hdd's are dedicated - nothing is shared with any other users).

not that i'm saying its related to any of the speed discussions though... :)

Thelen
09-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Not sure where that is, I've searched their whole site at time of writing and can't see that. Is it on the forums perhaps?

I don't understand the reason they use/think they need to use ESXI on the servers, any managed switch 10 years old can manage bandwidth allocation no problem....

Rilly
09-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Not sure where that is, I've searched their whole site at time of writing and can't see that. Is it on the forums perhaps?

I don't understand the reason they use/think they need to use ESXI on the servers, any managed switch 10 years old can manage bandwidth allocation no problem....

https://rapidspeeds.com/dedicatedservers.html

Just below the plans offered

lmn8r
09-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Brb, imma go get a wicker basket and some rope and use Thelen's ego as a hot air balloon.

Thelen
09-06-2010, 04:35 PM
NP, I'll use your idiocy as an anchor when SS. DickWeed comes into port.

Seriously though, those things weren't on the page about 6 weeks ago when I ordered, so I'm not really sure what they are doing, it certainly wasn't clear back then.

Irregardless, I still have not seen anything more than 100Mbit speed, at most 200Mbit, so at this stage I would have to say they have failed miserably. I'd recommend a plain OVH eg best of for the same price over these. vSphere has it's uses but when they are offering 'dedicated' servers, using that is just a complete lie.

If speeds don't improve I'll be recommending cancellation and refunds, certainly it will be easy enough to get money back due to non-deliverance of their service. What is sad is that they could actually offer all they have promised, clearly they have become greedy and decided to make amazing profit rather than providing a good service.

TLwhore
09-08-2010, 09:50 AM
I think the problem is, they have targeted these new servers at the seedbox users. As thelen said before, they will be getting raped, maybe once people have begun to fill up there drives and slow down with downloading everything that comes out then the average speeds for users will be better.
If they had just targeted them as site servers and other lower bandwidth stuff things would be fine.
Shame about the miss advertising about the esxi thing, seems they have gone the way of OVH with changing stuff without notice. But they did start out as OVH resellers so its prolly rubbed off on them

loz_black
09-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Why are you two treating me like a noob? This isn't a help thread, it is a review/discussion thread. I know perfectly well why it is maxing out there, and I have a ticket open and they are working on it as it is a general problem.

Yet you use an encrypted protocol to benchmark the connection?

Thelen
09-08-2010, 11:55 PM
I think the problem is, they have targeted these new servers at the seedbox users. As thelen said before, they will be getting raped, maybe once people have begun to fill up there drives and slow down with downloading everything that comes out then the average speeds for users will be better.
If they had just targeted them as site servers and other lower bandwidth stuff things would be fine.
Shame about the miss advertising about the esxi thing, seems they have gone the way of OVH with changing stuff without notice. But they did start out as OVH resellers so its prolly rubbed off on them

Yup, I am really quite disappointed as I expected their offering to decimate everything! I don't understand why they are doing as they are, all our calculations and quotes from LW have been roughly similar price, and we would make it work, but we have not the 30,000GBP capital to get it going. They have admit in ticket that the problem is both with vSphere and the BW sharing stuff they are doing, so probably will be a while until it is solved. As I said before, doing 100Mbps roughly out for the past week is not BAD for 100GBP, but it certainly isn't Gbit and the limit is definitely network in this instance.

Yet you use an encrypted protocol to benchmark the connection?

Learn to read, I used FTP SCP HTTP HTTPS and even an rsync and ssh-fs mount.

heiska
09-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Hello

The D1000 Server Orders are closed due to some issues we need to fix before anyone else buys them.

This is being thoroughly investigated by our tech professionals and we shall have updates on this very soon.

Please stay tuned to find out more.

On a good note the Q2000 Servers are selling well and we have had excellent performance feedback.

More updates to come.

Regards

Craig M

Anyone here has a Q2000?

RapidSpeeds
09-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Hello,

Ok, so let me explain what is happening.

We have not even been getting 1/4th of the bandwidth available from trunk -> switch -> server because of our vSphere system - we wanted to make it easy for users to install a torrent client, or a ftp, or do a reinstall with just one click - but it's been one problem after another.

We have had enough - we guaranteed every customer 200Mbps minimum and so far we have only delivered around 100Mbps speeds, with high cpu loads & bad disk write speeds which in turn affected the upstream/downstream links to reaching their potential speed.

Also, as everyone is only getting half the service, they are only being charged half the price - we can't be any more fair than that.

We are doing two things which will solve all problems:

1) Completely removing the vSphere system - so every server will be properly dedicated.

2) We are replacing single 1TB disks with 2 x 500GB (this was requested by over 75% of users) which will increase the performance as it's split between two hdds.

Once you see our advertisement on here, that's when you know everything is working perfectly - and perfection is an understatement.

Thelen
09-12-2010, 09:31 AM
That must suck, you'll have to spend what, another 12,000GBP+ on those 500GBs, or will you just trade/swap them from the 1TB ?

TBH, I'd rather have the TB kept, 2x500GB will mean even more BW used, and for the price you already provide enough. I don't think the 2x500GB will be sustainable, but we'll see I guess.

RapidSpeeds
09-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, this has not been updated in a while.

The advert placed on the FST site speaks volumes for the new range :)

Not a single complaint yet.

Craig
09-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Yea it has been a bumpy ride and we did make some mistakes by using the whole vSphere program but everything is great now, reduced the prices of the Q2000's and just stopped the D1000's altogether, seems to have done the trick hehe.

More ranges to come ofcourse in the near future.

Regards

Craig M

Thelen
09-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Well I'm still waiting for my replacement server, having been 3 days now since you scraped more money out of me :P

TBH can't see how everything is working great if there are orders outstanding ;)

Craig
09-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Orders being outstanding means alot of orders to go through. Which means the product is popular. Sorry for your wait, we will get it to you asap. Don't worry about your bill obviously it will not start until you get your server.

Regards

Craig M

Thelen
09-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Well I specifically asked whether it was going to be weeks like the last one, you were a little vague but indicated it would be soon, ie the next few days. :P

RapidSpeeds
09-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Well I specifically asked whether it was going to be weeks like the last one, you were a little vague but indicated it would be soon, ie the next few days. :P

Got your new the day you posted ^

enjoy bud :)

Thelen
09-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Yep TY. Though unfortunately it doesn't seem to be much/any better.

From the DRAC it still seems to say it is using ESXi? Can I just get a plain install (or do I have to do that myself, if so no problems).

RapidSpeeds
09-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Thelen, not performing any better? we are sold out then? wheres the compaints from other users on any forum? everyone says how fantastic they are.

I've posted speed results, so have customers... so i'm not even going to bother answering that - if you have a problem contact me via usual routes (Live Chat, Ticket System, IRC, E-Mail, MSN, Skype or Telephone) and have traceroutes/screenshots ready so I can check the peering/transit provider used and change it if necessary.

If it was ESXi would I really give you DRAC? That's an issue with iDRAC6 when a vmware product is installed first - install it yourself if you like, that's why you have it - costs £180 first month with ovh and £40 a month thereafter - so make good use :)

Thelen
09-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Well I don't actually know didn't look much just from logging in:
System Model PowerEdge R210
System Host Name rs205.rapidspeeds.net
Operating System VMware ESXi 4.0.0 build-261974

Not saying it is, maybe its just a mistake? Anyway, download seems marginally better, but upload out of the server is pretty terrible. To compare to a OVH box (with actually worse specs, 2x750GB instead), the OVH hits the 200Mbit outgoing while this one still has trouble above 150Mbit or so. Perhaps I should do my own install (kindof assumed yours were fast but maybe not). At least unlike last time, wget/scp'ing files seems faster, so maybe it is just deluge.

RapidSpeeds
09-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Hi Thelen,

The Dell R210 is a driver issue, you can download the drivers and update it - takes a few minutes.

KVM over IP access is 100% control of your server - you cant change your bios settings on your ovh server, or install ANY iso you like very easily? or give your server a cold reboot (without doing it from the manager).

Anyways, we are going to make some video tutorials to show you exactly how everything works - although documentation can be found on dell's website.

I honestly don't see how considering how much bandwidth is available - I don't see any other complaints Thelen. If you are talking about JUST TORRENTS of course OVH boxes will be faster considering it's all internal bandwidth....

We are talking about peering/transit to the rest of the world that is faster Thelen - and if you had some users on this box, all punishing it, you would see it shine.

I want you to download a file from an OVH 1Gbps - and then a Rapid 1Gbps ... More than likely the OVH will beat the Rapid box as it's all internal bandwidth (both upload/download) for the first 10/15minutes.

It's after this, when you notice the OVH server slowing right down, the Leaseweb box is still sending at decent speeds - because of this, you will get a much better ratio as you will have less hops to your destination.

^ That's how a Rapid server beats an OVH server in the long run - try it, test with both servers, and look at the ratio after a few hours.

If you use these servers are made for hotfile/fileserve/megashare/turbobit upload servers, streaming server, gaming servers, powerful web hosting, and things like that, you will notice the speeds are fantastic.

Do you need me to login to your box and show you it doing some fantastic speeds to various places?

Also, Thelen - don't you find it strange out of all those servers we've sold, we are not seeing more complaints?

Thelen
09-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Answering last question first, actually I haven't seen anyone say how great they are, nor how bad (except for 1) so can't really judge either way. And judging from your forum (which has neither either) I'd say people are just 'happy' with them. I didn't mean to imply they were bad per se, just not as good as I thought they would be (being non-OVH). To be fair to you, you seen to have done an OK job, but you by no means have had a trouble-free ride and this perhaps might lead you to feel yourself some of my comments justified? (and hell, you aren't alone. all the major torrent/seedbox providers have serious issues, from Feral and RAID, to Xirvik and their lack of a billing/manager interface)

As for performance, at the moment I'm doing 28MB/s with 0 HDD WA, however that is because it is a 2GB torrent so fits into RAM. I'm downloading a 44GB torrent so we'll see how that performs as well.

Insofar as the previous speed complaints, the pure bandwidth (tested by wget -O /dev/null) seems to have increased to at least the same level as internal OVH (ie 70MB/s or so given HW bottleneck), and torrent performance is greatly improved as well but I'd put that primarily down to 2 disks and no vSphere.

I will shortly (when I can be bothered) setup SCC autoDL script, then we will see how it performs for real (and I have VERY precise benchmark stats from that, from 100Mbit all the way up to 10Gbit servers).

For international stuff obviously LW bandwidth is much better, so indeed hotfile etc people will love these. And pure bandwidth places will love it as well (being able to do say 200TB, though compared to a 100tb.com server I'd suspect it wouldn't be quite as good).

Also, I can't seem to find anyone who has one of your boxes, so not sure where you got your 300+ sales from, clearly none from any of the common (both high and low level) torrent trackers. I'd be interested to know who is using it, whether it is just a bunch of ultra-secret torrentors, or hotfile providers, or what :S

Trunk wise, what is the current issue that apparently will provide more BW once it is resolved? (might be from 3 weeks ago).

Craig
09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
There is no issue with the speed or performance, tbh £120 for that kind of server with unlimited bandwidth is a great deal.

People who use this server are from all over and do all sorts with them from gaming servers to website hosting or data streaming. We also never said these servers were directed at torrent users, sure you can use it for that but thats not purely what we want to be aiming for.

Anyway yes alot of happy customers indeed.

Thelen
09-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Well for 120GBP (141 euro) yea its good, the same server straight from LW with 50Mbit 95th costs 200 euro for 3 mo, though it costs the same with 24 mo (140) but who wants to be locked in for that long :D The only benefit there though is for only 17 euro more, you can get 16GB RAM and 2x2TB, but by the same token you could just get a plain OVH with 10TB for 100 euro, so I guess there is a market in between :D

As for being aimed at torrent users vs other stuff, that is quite strange, since I don't know of a single website that needs a Quad core with 8GB RAM and 2TB storage with Gbit bandwidth, but maybe there are :S I guess that is how you are aiming for unmetered, since you aren't that worried about people doing much bandwidth overall, even a hard core streaming site would be hard pressed to do more than 50TB on that hardware.

Craig
09-28-2010, 10:00 AM
People who use these Servers for websites etc don't only use them for 1 website, there could be hundreds of websites on this server. Just 2 days ago we had someone move to us from another company. This user was going to use the server for a website and would need 2 more server the month after. The website is such a website like megavideo.

So all well is well :P

We now have a few more servers up for grabs on our site with a bit more hard drive and upgradable ram :) . Gives people a bit more selection. We are also looking at introducing more servers near the beginning of January to catter for people not wanting to pay £120 for a server. We will see how it goes ;).

Thelen
09-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Interesting new offers, the main problem is there is very little difference in HDD speed between those, though with 32GB RAM that might help with sites etc.

Are you ever going to get into 4 disk setups, or is that too much risk of someone doing too much BW? :D

RapidSpeeds
09-29-2010, 12:34 AM
Hi Thelen,

Well, more cache on the hdd when the size increases.

To answer your question though, we have two ranges of servers:

Dell PowerEdge R210 -> Quad Core Xeon X3430 - Upto 32GB DDR3 - 2 hdd slots (1000GB, 1500GB & 2000GB hdds available)
HP DL120 G6 (new) -> Quad Core Xeon X3430 - Upto 16GB DDR3 - 4 hdd slots (1000GB or 1500GB hdds available).

We wouldn't offer 4 x 2TB for power consumption reasons and also we know exactly what people would be upto, hammering alot of bandwidth thats for sure - Although, the 6TB server, that will be priced a little higher as the switches for that rack would probably need another 1 or 2GigE added to it so the trunks could feed the rest of the bandwidth to other racks and not all to that one - if you however just wanted the reliability of RAID 5 and 4 x 1TB this won't be priced that high :)

Thelen
09-29-2010, 07:51 AM
4x1TB or 1.5TB is ok, but 4x2TB suddenly uses more power? LOL? Last time I checked the power usage difference between those 3 is about 5 watts, during spinup, and about 2 watt while idle. But whatever, the end result is to prevent someone using Gbit for a whole month (something that costs you around 1200 euro) while only paying a couple hundred euro for the server :D

Out of curiosity, where are you buying all the gear from? I notice they are the same that LW offers, do you buy them from LW or whoever supplies LW or just open market? (ask because I've not been able to find a reliable supplier, at least not one that directly sells from Dell = EXPENSIVE)

heiska
09-29-2010, 05:24 PM
4x1TB or 1.5TB is ok, but 4x2TB suddenly uses more power? LOL? Last time I checked the power usage difference between those 3 is about 5 watts, during spinup, and about 2 watt while idle. But whatever, the end result is to prevent someone using Gbit for a whole month (something that costs you around 1200 euro) while only paying a couple hundred euro for the server :D

Meh, as if you could possibly waste shitloads more BW with 4 x 2TB HDDs versus 4 x 1.5TB HDDs.

solaris
09-29-2010, 05:49 PM
@Thelen

Are you mentally challenged disabled person ..? :unsure:

a Google search about your name "Joshua D'Alton " says you are :whistling

KnowinServers
09-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Indeed solaris
Look here what i found

http://www.paradox.com.au/~jcdalton/2005_Dec_4_GrandChildrenSMALL03.jpg

lmn8r
09-29-2010, 07:58 PM
hahaha. MATT DAMON

RapidSpeeds
09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
hahaha. MATT DAMON

lol

Craig
10-01-2010, 06:39 AM
lol ;)

Thelen
10-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Meh, as if you could possibly waste shitloads more BW with 4 x 2TB HDDs versus 4 x 1.5TB HDDs.

You can't? Their reasoning was it uses more power, neither WD nor Seagate specs indicate a more than 1% increase. Even if it was/wasn't the case, the 2TB perform 10% or so better IO wise, but my main comment about using more BW was 2 vs 4 (or more) disks..

@Thelen

No? (And/or, that relates to this thread how exactly?) How did you get that from googling me :S Please do tell...

KnowinServers
10-01-2010, 09:38 AM
@Thelen

No? (And/or, that relates to this thread how exactly?) How did you get that from googling me :S Please do tell...[/QUOTE]

Even i tried to google, but i didnt find anything as such.
But if you look at the pic, then indeed you look Retard..

Thelen
10-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Riiiiight...

How is it the retard can type better than you then?

Anyhoo, still trying to get better performance out of this than an OVH EG best of, it looks like whatever Debian install you guys use is a little different than OVH.

RapidSpeeds
10-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Thelen,

Honestly... KnowinServers is right - you are an idiot.

I think you would be better to stick with OVH then Thelen - we are getting sick of you bad mouthing our company trying to say a problem is there that doesn't exist - if you can't tell the difference between OVH's custom hardened kernel and a plain raw install any other company uses, including all home users, you shouldn't be running a 'website selling seedboxes' - if Leaseweb are so bad why is it Feral & Xirvik who are 100x bigger than you selling them? Superseedbox are about to as well.. NO ONE ELSE is complaining Thelen - why don't you come on IRC channel and speak to some people who have it?

When something is done right, people won't realise you have done anything at all.

Anyways Thelen, we won't be replying to you in this thread again - if you want to contact us, use one of the methods we told you about before.

Thelen
10-02-2010, 07:47 PM
So, basically, after admitting you did indeed have a problem, and in fact cancelled a whole server range, and had to migrate people to other servers, suddenly now there isn't a problem? Or do you mean to say you fixed the previously reported problem, and that no new problem has been reported (or acknowledged by you to be reported anyway)?

I never complained about LW, nor even you, just made observations, which you confirmed not just on here but in the ticketing system, that there seemed to be strange things happening with regards to server and bandwidth performance, which you apparently fixed even though on your forums there doesn't seem to be more than 3 people complaining about the problem. Doesn't make much sense to me. Does it make sense to you, aside from the trying to save face? I find it funny as well that my suggestion about local trunking to increase inter-server bandwidth apparently hadn't been thought about by you (or maybe you were just humouring me?) yet you claim I'm an idiot... lol.

As for Feral and Xirvik, customer number wise perhaps 10x bigger which shows clearly you don't really have a clue about me or our company... And while they and you have been dealing with LW for 6 months or so, we have had servers there (not related to seedbox) for over 6 years. Clearly there is a difference between a bunch of rented servers and a fairly large colocation with trunked bandwidth setup, which makes it all the more confusing how you managed to screw up so badly your offering from there, when all of that should be being managed by you directly.

I seem to be the only person in the thread that has any rationale, while you all think I'm an idiot. But then, you all think 2TB HDDs use shit loads more power than 1 or 1.5TB drives, even though all the rest of the internet can read a fact sheet, so perhaps you're the idiots? Or at least, maybe Rapidspeeds could admit they said it does not because it actually does, but as some weird rationale for bandwidth saving (even though as someone said a 2TB drive shouldn't make any difference in what bandwidth can be used)...

lol, but i doubt it. this thread is what you call, oops we made mistakes and trying to cover them up badly reveals logical inconsistencies left right and center.

Just calculated, the difference between 4x1TB and 4x2TB is max 4W per server, which assuming just 115W per server (the TDP of the CPU used in Q2000 + mobo usage), = ~3.5% increase in power. So, not 1%, however even allowing for 30 servers per rack, that amounts to just 120W or 0.5A difference. If we assume that somehow takes you over the 25A per rack max, makes more sense to just have 1 less server per rack if power is such a big deal. Makes more money sense as well, the difference between 4x1 and 4x2 being 30GBP or so (based on the difference between 2x1 and 2x2) means just 4 of these such servers sold to make up the difference in revenue, and in fact capital costs are less too. But whatever, clearly you've all thought about that haven't you, using the same brains that decided to use vSphere without testing it first?

Craig
10-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I can't even be bothered to read that lol, my last post on here too. Don't expect an answer, move on and enjoy your OVH. :)

NuCode
10-03-2010, 03:31 AM
2TB Caviar Green uses less power than 500Gb Barracuda btw :P

and yes that was insanely stupid idea to use virtualization "to offer" dedicated servers... Really...

I've been watching this fiasko from sidelines, and it's funny to see that the rapidspeeds servers are barely better than Digicube crap, despite DC, Network and hardware being many times better :D

RapidSpeeds
10-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm not offering 2TB simply because I know what users would be using it for, there's a reason OVH never offered 8TB servers.

I don't even think we will go for 6TB, never mind 8TB - and Yes, Green Caviar does use less power, but it's not as powerful performance wise - why would we limit our customers?

Say what you like bud, you don't have one therefore can't comment - as for us being better than Digicube? They have a 1TB transfer per week, and the only carrier they use is Cogento, and thats just ONE of leaseweb's many - so how they could beat the speed i'll never know...

Craig
10-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Your all quick to slate us when we make a mistake. We are just starting off on our own, we are going to make some mistakes and then later correct them no doubt.

I'm sure OVH and other larger organisations made mistakes when starting off.

Thelen
10-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Firstly, LOL @ you couldn't resist replying again, and again, and again!

Secondly, why would you use green power or anything low power, they do indeed suck ass performance wise, even worse than a 1TB 7200.10, but you claimed some huge power increase exists, when it doesn't.. As for "say what you like you don't have one", not sure what you mean by that, but we have GP and access to google and review sites... The people that would benefit from 4x2TB over 4x1.5TB wouldn't use that much more bandwidth (10% based on IOPS increase), and yet you could also charge more and have some customers be even more happy, rather than merely content with 6TB. It is funny you talk about some vague reason OVH decided not to have 8TB, especially since 2TB drives have only been available after their less recent price updates and they have plenty of 1.5TBs still in stock from the previous offering. What reason do you think, especially considering they have a bandwidth limit anyway? :P

Since you probably haven't even gotten more than a single server from Digicube you probably can't comment, whereas we've had 20 or so from them. We've most definitely had more than 1TB transfer per server in a week, in fact the remaining in-use server we have with them does an average of 15TB a month :D They also use more than just Cogento (Telia and others) so shows you what you know, LOL.

We aren't quick to slate you for making a mistake, but when 50,000GBP worth of hardware setups racks bandwidth and whatever is involved, you'd think you would have done a little more research especially considering you have massive exposure.. :D Not to mention, delivering what was sold, and providing a kick ass alternative to OVH.

OVH are still continuing to make mistakes, it is really amazing how such huge companies are so terrible. LW as well really, you get faster service from Amazon lol.

Craig
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM
bah im tired of this thread and you Josh. I've already seen in other threads what your like lol and people have commented and they couldn't have got it more right.

Anyway Good luck with your seedbox companies. ;)

Regards

Craig

KnowinServers
10-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Darren and Craig Guys, why do you even bother to reply to his posts..

Thelen is a retard, he is stupid .. He is suffering from some kind of Phobia..
like TalkShitPhobia ..
I have been reading over here and on OVH forums as well, seems he has a habit of talking shit and ruining peoples advertising threads.. so just fucking ignore him..

And dude thelen, take some medications You are Seriously Ill..
and i warn you, there have been enough of negative comments from you in this thread, one more shitty post and your gone. I'l Make a PORN MOVIE WITH YOUR STUPID FACE and pay people to download it..

so please behave or gtfo.

PS: Sorry Mods for being rude, but i dont have anyother option as well..

Anyways, Thelen Hope you improve ... Good Luck buddy

solaris
10-03-2010, 07:39 PM
No? (And/or, that relates to this thread how exactly?) How did you get that from googling me :S Please do tell...

It says you went to school for special people....:unsure:

Your attitude is immature & language is rubbish

You don't have any idea about how much RapidSpeeds have invested.

Even if your father sells you off, he wont get that much money

KnowinServers
10-03-2010, 08:03 PM
hmmm... @solaris I think, Thelens Dad must have surely tried to sell him off..
and thts the reason he is suffering from Mental Disorders.

ahh i am Glad today, that i have finally researched some vital info..

To the World today, I present my research. A new mental disorder, which forces the victim to write long and unnecessary posts. and it shall be named THELENOPHOBIA :p

By Dr . XXXX ( will reveal my name, the day i complete my PhD )

:)

Thelen
10-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Craig funny stance to have, relying on the (incorrect) assesments of other people, perhaps this explains how you guys decided vSphere was a good idea. clearly from your lack of substantial 'factual' backing up of any of your statements you are just posting in here to .. achieve what exactly? anyone outside reading it is going to see me, the thread starter, saying how bad the service is and providing even some details, while you are just sitting there saying it ain't so, and participating in the flaming of a (apparently) retarded person? but hey, good luck running your business as well...

knowin, you do know phobia means fear of right? so talkshitphobia would actually be the fear, and avoidance, of talking shit. i think what you are after is talkshitfetish or something like that. you also recommend people to ignore me, yet apparently you can't leave this thread (or me) alone. why do you keep posting lol? you can't even follow your own advice? who is (apparently) retarded now?

also, what advertising thread did i ruin? this is a review thread for one, started by me no less, and on ovh there aren't even any review threads let alone advertising? lol, you failed pretty hard there. especially since apparently you think you have no option than to insult and belittle someone who (you think) is retarded. pretty pathetic, insulting and hating on a (so you believe) retarded person, that is very low, even for you lol...

solaris, actually i know down to about 5000GBP what rapid invested (or at least what it should have cost them, no accounting for them having another fail and paying more than they should have), cos, you know, i can add. isn't hard to research, though you and rapid seem to have failed basic maths with regard to hdd power usage, so not surprising you think it is all a big mystery?

i just can't get over how much all you guys love me, there is no other explanation for why you put so much effort into flaming or in general just posting useless drivel, either that or you truly are too bored to even lurk on 4chan. i suppose you'll turn around and say "hah, the joke is on you, you have been on "candid-flame-a(apparently)-retarded-guy-camera" or something?"

KnowinServers
10-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Well, i dont know about craig and darren
But i Love you man...
And have fun reading your posts :)
You are like , The Toy Joker, you just give it a key or press the button,
it starts to dance, same way with you , we type a line or two
and you post your senseless comments..

Also, more info added to my Theory of Thelenophobia.
And indeed Phobia means fear, the fear you have or had when your father was trying to sell you off..
Haha.... waiting for your stupid comments.

Anyways, i am here for fun, i had much .. i am off now...
cya
and Love you Thelen

Thelen
10-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Thelenophobia would mean I was afraid of myself. If you wanted to say I have/had fear of being sold off, perhaps you would say slaveryphobia or sellophobia or something along those lines.

Out of curiosity as well, how many slots per server do you have on your VPS? Assuming you were delivering the 2GB on the L400 via the larger netdirekt 24GB server, does that mean 12, and like 40 for the L300? I'd love to test how much "unlimited" bandwidth can actually be used, cos even though you can buy more from them @ something insanely low as $2USD per TB, actual ability to use in either case (not assuming overloading of the server) can't be even that high due to their network which is basically worse than OVH.

RapidSpeeds
10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Craig funny stance to have, relying on the (incorrect) assesments of other people, perhaps this explains how you guys decided vSphere was a good idea. clearly from your lack of substantial 'factual' backing up of any of your statements you are just posting in here to .. achieve what exactly? anyone outside reading it is going to see me, the thread starter, saying how bad the service is and providing even some details, while you are just sitting there saying it ain't so, and participating in the flaming of a (apparently) retarded person? but hey, good luck running your business as well...

knowin, you do know phobia means fear of right? so talkshitphobia would actually be the fear, and avoidance, of talking shit. i think what you are after is talkshitfetish or something like that. you also recommend people to ignore me, yet apparently you can't leave this thread (or me) alone. why do you keep posting lol? you can't even follow your own advice? who is (apparently) retarded now?

also, what advertising thread did i ruin? this is a review thread for one, started by me no less, and on ovh there aren't even any review threads let alone advertising? lol, you failed pretty hard there. especially since apparently you think you have no option than to insult and belittle someone who (you think) is retarded. pretty pathetic, insulting and hating on a (so you believe) retarded person, that is very low, even for you lol...

solaris, actually i know down to about 5000GBP what rapid invested (or at least what it should have cost them, no accounting for them having another fail and paying more than they should have), cos, you know, i can add. isn't hard to research, though you and rapid seem to have failed basic maths with regard to hdd power usage, so not surprising you think it is all a big mystery?

i just can't get over how much all you guys love me, there is no other explanation for why you put so much effort into flaming or in general just posting useless drivel, either that or you truly are too bored to even lurk on 4chan. i suppose you'll turn around and say "hah, the joke is on you, you have been on "candid-flame-a(apparently)-retarded-guy-camera" or something?"

Thelen, I never replied to you in my last post, it was to another user who asked about the hdds - stop thinking the world revolves around you.

I didn't answer this question as it was none of your business, but i'm not going to have you thinking you are right.

We have 38 Dell R210's per rack on 25Amp (5,75KVA) power on 32Amp 1-ph No-Break A.

So yes, the power increase with 38 servers x (4 x 2TB) would actually push us over the power limit - go on Josh, tell me i'm wrong?

Yes we made a mistake on the D1000, big deal - everyone was compensated, and given a better deal in the end.

It's funny how two dedicated server companies think the exact same about you Thelen - if you don't like the server, you know what to do.

NuCode
10-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm not offering 2TB simply because I know what users would be using it for, there's a reason OVH never offered 8TB servers.

I don't even think we will go for 6TB, never mind 8TB - and Yes, Green Caviar does use less power, but it's not as powerful performance wise - why would we limit our customers?

Say what you like bud, you don't have one therefore can't comment - as for us being better than Digicube? They have a 1TB transfer per week, and the only carrier they use is Cogento, and thats just ONE of leaseweb's many - so how they could beat the speed i'll never know...

LOL! You couldn't have made my point more clearer than that!
Better network, better hardware ... Still somehow comparable to OVH XD

You use LW, yet somehow manage to be only barely better than Digicube :D

Btw, Digicube does offer "a bit" more than 1Tb a week in reality, i still have couple servers doing there 50Mbps 24/7 monthly averages ...

And yes, i do got access to test myself your offering, both the earlier and this new one.

2Tb Caviar Greens have lower performance definitely, but if the capacity is the main advantage being sought after, or power usage is a problem, they fit the bill perfectly in BOTH scenarios. Personally i'd use Caviar Blacks as mid-way solution, or if money is not problem then SAS Constellation ES (Which has ~1/10th of failure rate than OVH's used 500Gb Barracudas. We had 3 of those 500Gb barracudas fail just last weekend alone)

Tbh, i think your offering will be semi-good as you get the kinks worked out all around.

btw, OVH does offer 2Tb drives in Kimsufi FS series and HG series (SAS there) and servers with vastly more capacity than just 8Tb too.

Digi had only Cogent until recently they upgraded.

LW's support sucks nowadays even more than Digicube & OVH support. I've used LW for some 10 years now, and i'm always turned off by the lack of any support. Their definition for "ticket resolution" is ANY reply whatsoever. HDD replacement *can take* 2weeks. Unfortunately, still have to stick with them for a little while longer as i have premium hosting customers needing servers to be located in Amsterdam or nearby with <5ms latency to their workplace.

Thelen
10-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Thelen, I never replied to you in my last post, it was to another user who asked about the hdds - stop thinking the world revolves around you.

I didn't answer this question as it was none of your business, but i'm not going to have you thinking you are right.

We have 38 Dell R210's per rack on 25Amp (5,75KVA) power on 32Amp 1-ph No-Break A.

So yes, the power increase with 38 servers x (4 x 2TB) would actually push us over the power limit - go on Josh, tell me i'm wrong?

Yes we made a mistake on the D1000, big deal - everyone was compensated, and given a better deal in the end.

It's funny how two dedicated server companies think the exact same about you Thelen - if you don't like the server, you know what to do.

Oh ok, yea I suppose you technically are correct since you did say "to you", but not very clear really (seems like a lot of that around here). Either way you clearly replied to me again, so you still loose :S

The Dell R210 uses maximum 300W, so 38x300 = 11,400W = 49.6A maximum used. Presumably you talked to Dell or LW or someone and they told you what power would be actually used/required, that all makes sense. You are budgeting 50% power usage (@25A total) or 150W roughly per server from what you posted. But, clearly you wouldn't sell ALL of them with 4x2TB, and if even you DID, simply having just 1 less server online would make up the power difference, which is 4W per server X 37 servers or 148W total. Presumably you would make more money from 37 larger servers to make up for 1 less server per rack, but given they won't all be 4x2TB you'd think you'd make far more from even 5 of those sales than the potential risk of having to purchase 1A more power (I don't know what your actual usage is, but you say you have 32A available?). So I dunno, maybe you are right about it taking you over the power, but as I've shown clearly that is a narrow-minded assessment of the situation and ignoring of the other factors?

Maybe you two companies (who is the other? knowin? if so, he's a reseller not a dedicated server company... ?) both think the same way because your narrow view of life in general and servers in specific can't let you fathom that you might be wrong or that, and as annoying as I might seem, someone else might be right (maybe even for the wrong reasons?).

seeder22
10-07-2010, 06:14 AM
guys no one will beat or get lower than OVH's gigabit prices..so dont let some provider bs you. gigabit boxes MIN are 95GBP with VAT

heiska
10-07-2010, 10:21 AM
guys no one will beat or get lower than OVH's gigabit prices..so dont let some provider bs you. gigabit boxes MIN are 95GBP with VAT

Lol, newfag.

Even netdirekt is cheaper than bitch ass OVH.

Thelen
10-07-2010, 11:43 AM

Lol, newfag.

Even netdirekt is cheaper than bitch ass OVH.

lol yea <_< netdirekt won't last forever though with their prices, selling extra BW that cheap is the same as OVH and their unmetered servers.. at least OVH doesn't have any RBN connection, unlike netdirekt lol.

seeder22
10-07-2010, 04:13 PM
just looked at http://www.netdirekt.de/ will you please show me how this is cheaper than OVH??? ive been on a german seedbox before and it was slow. (but i dont knwo for sure if that was on Netdirekt or not but it was germany)

Thelen
10-07-2010, 10:35 PM
It is cheaper than OVH if you want a lot of traffic on Gbit. Also, you can get way better prices than the web prices (I hear Xirvik pay only about 60% of web prices).

KnowinServers
10-08-2010, 10:06 AM
It is cheaper than OVH if you want a lot of traffic on Gbit. Also, you can get way better prices than the web prices (I hear Xirvik pay only about 60% of web prices).

Well bandwidth is not as cheap as you say dude. Its 5 Euros per TB, but indeed cheaper than ovh.
Also xirvik gets such a high discount, because they have hundreds of servers from them,and net direkt afford to give them as such cheap prices.

Thelen
10-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Actually it is more like 2.5 euro per TB, once you order 50TB. But, obviously it is unlikely you would use that with anything less than 8 disks, but compared to OVH you can get 50TB for like 1/5th of the price it would cost at OVH.