PDA

View Full Version : Inadequate resolution!

senegal
08-27-2010, 05:42 PM
I have a problem.
I own a 17 inches monitor and optimal resolution is 1280 x 1024 pixels and screen refresh rate 75 hertz.
every time I start my PC, I see this resolution that I have to reset. Why? :unsure:

http://www.picmik.net/images/260untitled.jpg (http://www.picmik.net/view.php?filename=260untitled.jpg)

Skiz
08-27-2010, 05:52 PM
I've never heard of it but it seems pretty common. :unsure:

http://www.google.com/search?q=aspect+ratio+resets&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=MQO&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=screen+resolution+resets+on+startup&aq=0c&aqi=g-c1&aql=&oq=screen+re+resets&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=41ce5f9eb1874ff3

anon
08-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Perhaps you have some sort of monitor control or graphics card overclocking program that runs on Windows' start-up and resets the resolution to that?

Also, isn't this the wrong section for such a thread?

Skiz
08-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Perhaps you have some sort of monitor control or graphics card overclocking program that runs on Windows' start-up and resets the resolution to that?

Also, isn't this the wrong section for such a thread?

Moved.

senegal
08-28-2010, 03:16 PM

I'll fix it!

http://www.picmik.net/images/408hitting_server.gif (http://www.picmik.net/view.php?filename=408hitting_server.gif)

anon
08-28-2010, 04:32 PM
*image*

You'd do a lot of us a favor by smashing your CPU case like that.

Tutela
08-28-2010, 06:41 PM
get your GFX card drivers, and install the nvidia control wizard (which you probably have done already) and set it to the resolution you want in that. or uninstall the wizard and re-set it in windows display manager

Appzalien
08-28-2010, 10:22 PM
What shows up in Device manager under Monitors? is it the LG or does it just say generic vga? I have found that monitors work better and offer different resolution choices if you install their drivers. For some reason (probably cheapskates) Monitor Manufacturers do not include drivers in their packaging, too much money and trouble to add a floppy I suppose. So, everytime you buy a new monitor you have to go to their site to get the drivers. Its nothing more than a few kilobytes of instruction and an INF file to install. I once had a crt monitor that still was not recognized even after installing the inf, I literally had to go the "choose from a list" route and they were in there. Believe it or not, after a format and reinstall I looked in there and they were not there until after I ran the inf fileand rebooted, then they showed up and I could choose them for the drivers and the resolution choices changed for the better.

Tutela
08-30-2010, 09:14 AM
too much money and trouble to add a floppy I suppose.

What the f**k... When's the last time you ought anything eh?
I didn't even put a floppy drive in my last build..

anon
08-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I have disabled my floppy drive via the Device Manager, but didn't remove it from my case, because you never know when you're going to need it. As far as I know, the only place where the XP setup program will take SCSI/RAID drivers from is drive A:, for example.

Appzalien
08-30-2010, 01:35 PM
too much money and trouble to add a floppy I suppose.

What the f**k... When's the last time you ought anything eh?

I was talking about the manufacturer not putting a floppy in the box with your monitor so you have their drivers without connecting to the internet. You my friend are a MORON, I hope you never need my help cause I will ignore you from this point on.

Tutela
09-02-2010, 04:42 PM
I have disabled my floppy drive via the Device Manager, but didn't remove it from my case, because you never know when you're going to need it. As far as I know, the only place where the XP setup program will take SCSI/RAID drivers from is drive A:, for example.
Nope, Will boot from a USB key if you know what you're doing..

I was talking about the manufacturer not putting a floppy in the box with your monitor so you have their drivers without connecting to the internet. You my friend are a MORON, I hope you never need my help cause I will ignore you from this point on.

hey now, less of the personal insults, that's a bit harsh. Why would anyone use floppy drives now? surely to god it'd be cheaper for them to stick a USB key in there with your monitor than a floppy at this stage. CD/DVD are just as good. And also, pretty much every piece of hardware nowadays is plug and play, no drivers necessary for you to install, so your average user won't even need to install any extra drivers. and so what if they don't, is it that much hassle to connect to the internet? seeing as for pretty much all software to get full use of it you need to connect to the net, I don't see why it should be any different for hardware.

OP, did you get your problem resolved?

I'm not a moron, believe it or not, I do know what I'm talking about.

senegal
09-02-2010, 04:48 PM
OP, did you get your problem resolved?

no, it's too difficult.
I don't know where to start.

Tutela
09-02-2010, 04:50 PM
What did you try of the suggestions in the thread so far? Try them, post by post, and see what happens.

anon
09-02-2010, 06:13 PM

Now I need another excuse to keep my floppy drive. :cry:

Tutela
09-02-2010, 09:53 PM

Now I need another excuse to keep my floppy drive. :cry:

Haha, it's really not that hard, I saw it somewhere, think it was techrepublic, a quick google will telly a what you need to know, but a floppy is easier!

sandman_1
09-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Sounds like a similar problem I had when I had an analog RGB connection with my Viewsonic CRT 19" monitor. The graphics card kept disregarding my settings and reverting to another resolution no matter what. The fix was to set adapter type to Standard VGA, set the resolution to the video adapter's default factory resolution and default refresh rate 50Hz, and reboot to Windows again. Might have to uninstall your graphics drivers and do this and reinstall them. I believe it was some kind of Video BIOS issue and that was the only way to alleviate.

Appzalien
09-04-2010, 03:10 PM
HMM! Bios, does your machine have onboard video as well but your using a graphics card? Because there is a setting in the bios for which video first, it would be a choice something like onboard > pci > pci-e > even agp if its old enough. I had a system set to onboard, but had a pci-e graphics card installed and i didn't get good resolutions til I changed it to pci-e first. I also had an older agp machine that would not boot when set to agp first even though I had an agp card installed but if I set it to pci it was fine. Go figure, ASUS HA!

senegal
12-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Finally, I think I got rid of that problem...so annoying, it seems that the video card showed fatigue signs and eventually "gave up".
Few weeks ago, I bought a new video card

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4670, 1024MB, DDR3, 128bit, CrossfireX, HDMI, PCI-E

http://www.picmik.net/images/704img121135_010920091208.jpg (http://www.picmik.net/view.php?filename=704img121135_010920091208.jpg)

It's a beaty, isn't it? :fst:

Expeto
12-29-2010, 04:46 PM
I did the same mistake some time ago... you can't even imagine how many loop holes I went through to make windows setup see my raid partition. Do you know what was common about all the loopholes I went through? none of them worked...

senegal, she looks awesome ;)

clocker
12-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I did the same mistake some time ago... you can't even imagine how many loop holes I went through to make windows setup see my raid partition. Do you know what was common about all the loopholes I went through? none of them worked...
If you weren't using a ten year old OS, that wouldn't be a problem.
Win7 requires zero effort when installing on a RAID array...it just sees it and proceeds as normal.

I'm actually kinda surprised to see people here still struggling with XP.

Stinson
12-29-2010, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=Expeto;3544472]

I can! When XP was realesed I stuck to 2000 for several more years before I trusted the new Service Packs. When Vista was released I stuck to XP altogether, guess why. And now, though 7 might be a reasonable OS, one can't get rid of the feeling that there might some problems ahead...

clocker
12-29-2010, 11:29 PM
...one can't get rid of the feeling that there might some problems ahead...
Where do you find the courage to leave bed each morning, given the certainty that problems might arise?

Conflating "prudence" with "paralyzed" does not a virtue make.

Expeto
12-30-2010, 06:32 AM
[QUOTE=Expeto;3544472]

I was talking about past time, yet you are right win7 have done things easier. Yet, you can never know you might need a floppy

Stinson, please fix that quotation, it makes me sound little more arrogant linux user than usual...

clocker
12-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Yet, you can never know you might need a floppy

Do motherboards even come with floppy/IDE ports anymore?
Can I still connect an IBM tape drive?

Worse comes to worse, I'll use punchcards.

Expeto
12-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Yet, you can never know you might need a floppy

Do motherboards even come with floppy/IDE ports anymore?
Can I still connect an IBM tape drive?

Worse comes to worse, I'll use punchcards.

well I never had a virus with that tape drives. And I'm pretty sure punchcards users never had scratches that destroyed their data:P
http://cheezburger.com/Chooser/lolz/View/4077267200http://cheezburger.com/Chooser/lolz/View/4077267200

clocker
12-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Has anyone here had any "virus" infections lately?
Ever?

Expeto
12-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Yeah, the virus are changing too, no more dumpfuck viruses that actually break you PC. What is point of hacking if you are gonna just fuck you slave up. Now the viruses just wait and record, and few weeks later, your private data is sold just for $30. They even have refunds and bulk sales...