PDA

View Full Version : Headphone amplifier question

blurayripper
08-28-2010, 07:55 PM
My question is would an amplifier improve the sound of my headphones. I got a barely used pair of Sony MDR-F1's and they never sounded loud, lacked bass and may be underpowered. Now is that because they could use the help of an amplifier when used on the pc's dedicated sound card or via iphone/ipod. I lost the larger jack so i haven't tested it on my home receiver. If so can anyone recommend one under $100. A portable one would be nicer but it can be standalone unit as well. Thanks.

Quarterquack
08-28-2010, 09:56 PM
You won't find a decent portable headphone amp that makes the bass tighter/more boomy for under 100$. If you want, take my recommendation up on this: Portable systems don't really require absolute fidelity, so what you do is, buy a SCHIIT amplifier for a home system, and enjoy that instead.

Any headphones when driven properly with an amplifier can be improved, but the Sonys aren't really a picky bunch like say Sennheisers/Ultrasones. That said, if you were looking for boomy base, you picked a rather bland headphone, I'd say Eq it for cheaper, but don't expect it to be any better. They are open headphones after all.

blurayripper
08-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Interesting ringhunter, then i'm going to go get a jack and just use it on the Onkyo receiver i got. At some point will visit my music producer friend and test the Sonys there. Sounds like I'm better of being content with the receiver route or just get a new pair of headphones with better bass. Thanks for showing me the light.

Quarterquack
08-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Sorry for missing this thread after your reply. I'll try to be more active so you don't have to reach to me with self deprecative methods. I'm okay with you asking questions. :)

blurayripper
09-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Just leaving a note to thank you on your pm recommendations. I picked up a pair of Sony MDR-V6's and they pack solid bass with excellent mids and highs. It was the open ear design of the previous Sony's i had that inherently lacked bass and an upgrade was the only solution and buying an amp would of been a waste. Thanks for saving me money ringhunter.

cableguy25
09-29-2010, 11:56 PM
There is a do-it-yourself headphone amp http://blog.reallyrocketscience.com/node/994. For the price it does a decent job of improving the sound and it fits in an altoids tin.