PDA

View Full Version : Files on private tracker safer?

obaletan
08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
I was looking to download adobe CS5 is it likely that I would find the same torrent on a public tracker as i would on torrentleach or demonoid or some other private tracker?

Would it be a scene release or something better, would it be safe?

I ask because I'm not member on any private software tracker... Thanks!

Sorry can a mod move this to bittorrent i thought i was in that section!

anon
08-31-2010, 07:03 PM

Safe in terms of not having any malware on it? If so, the answer is yes.

obaletan
08-31-2010, 07:16 PM

Safe in terms of not having any malware on it? If so, the answer is yes.

Yea in the terms of viruses and malware....

I should rephrase my original question as well....
Are the software torrents available on private trackers, cracked better, or better releases or can you usually find the same stuff on btjunkie? This is obviously regarding large sought after releases... like CS5, Windows 7, etc.

anon
08-31-2010, 07:19 PM
I should rephrase my original question as well....
Are the software torrents available on private trackers, cracked better, or better releases or can you usually find the same stuff on btjunkie?

Assuming they haven't been altered by the uploader, Scene releases are the same on TPB or TL. And important ones will always make their way to public sites, it just may take them longer than a private site with a solid Scene connection.

obaletan
08-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Cool thats what I thought. Thanks!

Do private trackers sometimes have special (not scene) torrents? Like would a private tracker have something that couldn't be found on a public. once again this is about major software not specialty or little known...

anon
08-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Do private trackers sometimes have special (not scene) torrents? Like would a private tracker have something that couldn't be found on a public.

Some private trackers have exclusive groups/releases on them, yes - but I'm not sure this applies to software, though. Even if an application isn't packaged and labeled as a Scene release, the bundled crack will come from that.

Tutela
09-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Just download it and scan with your AV, if you're not comfortabel the doon't downlaod at at all. It's as secure as any "safe" site you;'ll ever dl from/.

Speedo
09-04-2010, 08:16 AM
I don't think it's safer and my believe is that anti-filesharing lawyer-investigators already is members of the most popular trackers. You should not care about filesharing. you should care about the laws preventing and protecting opponents of a free world. Or put it easliy. Know the laws of your land, you stupid dick.

talkboy
09-04-2010, 11:13 PM
On trackers where you have to register through invites etc i think yes it is safer. People are careful what they post and a lot of trusted posters inside these trackers.

proforma
09-05-2010, 04:17 PM
It's a little bit safer. Much more safer would be to get the files from a One-Klick-Hoster like Rapidshare since you don't do any upload and not everyone in the same cloud knows your IP.

The safest of course would be to get the software in ebay or just use CS4 which is new under €100.

JCity
09-07-2010, 11:57 PM
it has been safer for me.

gamesover
09-09-2010, 03:16 AM
It is safer because you know the other members better at a private tracker. That doesn't mean I would be afraid of using a public tracker because the odds are so slim against you they will actually go after you. How many people are they suing nowadays, even private trackers have stayed up longer and longer. The act of inviting someone takes the anonymity out of it and staff at smaller trackers can see smell out problem members quicker. That makes me feel a little safer.

risys
09-09-2010, 03:30 AM
i think it's safer relative to public tracker
but it's not 100%

Disme
09-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Why do the last 10 posters didn't bother to read the entire thread???

That way they would have known the OP ain't talking about security in terms of authorities, but in terms of 'better cracks', less virii.

Bunch of wankers :rolleyes:

crazydogman
09-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Safer since hackers can't just go there without getting an invite and tend to use public sites because of more people.

anon
09-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Safer since hackers can't just go there without getting an invite

Are you kidding? If kids with keyboards can get on those "top" trackers, then there's something very wrong if paid employees can't.

nye
09-11-2010, 02:55 AM
I certainly hope so because that's pretty much the only reason I stick to private trackers.

gamesover
09-11-2010, 05:41 AM
Why do the last 10 posters didn't bother to read the entire thread???

That way they would have known the OP ain't talking about security in terms of authorities, but in terms of 'better cracks', less virii.

Bunch of wankers :rolleyes:

How about I feel more secure because the authorities spread less (actually none) 'virii' on my private trackers. Guarantee you there's a lot of fakes, 'virii', and badly cracked shit on public torrent sites.

Safer since hackers can't just go there without getting an invite

Are you kidding? If kids with keyboards can get on those "top" trackers, then there's something very wrong if paid employees can't.

So a few break through, it's the overall count that makes it safer. Kids with keyboards can get on sites but it takes time. How many guys do they want to hire to put through that whole process. Or they can just keep sniping people off at public trackers where are loads more snatches anyways.

anon
09-11-2010, 04:43 PM
So a few break through, it's the overall count that makes it safer. Kids with keyboards can get on sites but it takes time. How many guys do they want to hire to put through that whole process.

True, they're of course always safer than public trackers. It's just that after reading crazydogman's post I got the impression he thought private and invite-only sites were 100% secure.

gravey
09-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Nothing is 100% secure, but you definitely have less chance of viruses from private trackers. I prefer private to public, because get better releases faster.

Texas
09-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Nothing is 100% secure, but you definitely have less chance of viruses from private trackers. I prefer private to public, because get better releases faster.

I second that, was the mail reason i went private!

modles
09-22-2010, 07:29 PM
As many users already mentioned - private trackers are safer in terms of less chances of catching malware, also less chances to download a fake file, and to get nailed by copyright activists.

WindWalkerX
10-09-2010, 07:00 PM
3 pages and no one mentions that it doesn't really matter if you get malware, provided you've got the right security in place.
I never use any warez outside of a sandbox, and then Returnil is there should it somehow escape Sandboxie. I'll download things off sites that link to serials.ws, because it just doesn't matter. 9/10 of those are infected, but since it can't get out, I couldn't care less.

I don't believe there is a safe way to grab warez on Mac or Linux. However a crazy amount of paranoia could involve them. Boot to Linux or OSX, run a VM, and then stick everything in a Returnil/SB enviro :o
I'm pretty sure nothing has ever been written that could bust through that.

Ericp2p
10-09-2010, 08:53 PM
In terms of better cracks the answer is yes and no. On a private site the person posting a torrent with a virus, will get booted and be prevented from registering again. On a public site they can keep posting their virus infected junk.

In terms of cracks, yes and now, many highly skilled IT people have access to public trackers and will download and look at it for fun. They can see errors and flaws. Private sites don't have such luxury if an expert isn't on your site you're screwed. Many reverse engineers don't really care about giving you a workable torrent, the act of reverse engineering is like a hobby to them. They like the challenge. The same way some people like to do puzzles.

johhny
10-19-2010, 01:07 PM
no it;s not safer be sure you use a sandboxie at cracks etc

anon
10-19-2010, 04:14 PM
no it;s not safer be sure you use a sandboxie at cracks etc

The latest trojans and packers can evade or at least detect Sandboxie (and refuse to run), but overall I agree it's pretty safe for testing the average Internet download. I stumbled upon that program a few years back, and was amazed - trying things in a sandbox was more practical than having to run a VM or booting into a separate Windows install just to test stuff.

G_P
10-23-2010, 03:31 AM
For sure safer.

iBulldozer
10-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I prefer downloading torrents with thousands of seeders/leechers and many comments (TPB). If it has many comments - just check if anyone mentions viruses/trojans. Also, if you have several torrents, download the most old one.

anon
10-23-2010, 04:24 PM
I prefer downloading torrents with thousands of seeders/leechers and many comments (TPB).

You do know the amounts of seeders and leechers on public torrents are easily fakeable, and the "bad guys" that post fake torrents can easily manage that?

Thankfully you check the comments first...

Waddafocky
10-26-2010, 03:33 AM
I know by "safer" you meant viruses/malware/etc., but depending on where you live, "safer" might mean who's gonna be on your ass for an upload or a download.

From what I hear, Demonoid users have started getting notices from the RIAA/MPAA...

anon
10-26-2010, 05:56 PM
From what I hear, Demonoid users have started getting notices from the RIAA/MPAA...

That's not really a surprise, considering it's Demonoid.

diew
11-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Torrents are a better way to share large files, and also private trackers are safe compared to the public ones.

Sonnentier
11-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I know by "safer" you meant viruses/malware/etc., but depending on where you live, "safer" might mean who's gonna be on your ass for an upload or a download.

yeah and when you run malware they can bust you for ,,sending spam´´ / ,,committing fraud´´ etc.

Demonoid / Torrentleech are infiltrated, it's known for a long time already. BayTSP snitches seem to be very lazy and usually can't be bothered to join a 2,000 tracker. That's usually and no guarantee whatsoever.