PDA

View Full Version : IPT and Demonoid being "watched?"

NinjaDMP
08-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Someone (who may know about this kind of thing) told me to stay away from IPT and Demonoid. Problem is those are the only 2 trackers i use :( . Is there any truth to this and is it any cause for concern?

Thanks for the input.

Burnsy
08-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Not heard a thing about it... maybe another member can shed some light on it?

I wouldn't worry too much unless you hear something concrete though, as there are loads of people on the net who 'claim to know things' no-one else seems to :lol:

anon
08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Is there any truth to this and is it any cause for concern?

Both trackers have massive userbases. And the more users a tracker has, the higher the chance some of them are bad apples, i.e. working for anti-P2P companies and such.

Whether you should worry about this depends on where you live in - if that kind of agencies can't do you any harm in your country, then I guess it's OK. If that isn't the case, make sure you're using some sort of IP filtering, and consider switching to less-populated trackers.

1000possibleclaws
08-31-2010, 09:53 PM
You can use the demonoid tracker without a membership, so of course some torrents will be watched

NinjaDMP
08-31-2010, 10:04 PM
If that isn't the case, make sure you're using some sort of IP filtering, and consider switching to less-populated trackers.

Any recommendations on a tracker I could go after that would fit that bill and offer a similar selection as IPT? I don't even really know what's out there currently. Thanks for any info.

anon
08-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Any recommendations on a tracker I could go after that would fit that bill and offer a similar selection as IPT?

So anti-P2P agencies actually mean trouble for you? Then SCC and Linkomanija are the only not-so-big ones that I'm a member of. Generally, I prefer large trackers, due to the fact seeding is quite easy on those. I'm pretty sure there are other similar sites whose names escape me.

elbuitre
09-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Pretty much, a user on TPS confirmed getting a cease and desist letter from a media company from a torrent downloaded on IPT.

gamesover
09-01-2010, 02:07 AM
If that isn't the case, make sure you're using some sort of IP filtering, and consider switching to less-populated trackers.

Any recommendations on a tracker I could go after that would fit that bill and offer a similar selection as IPT? I don't even really know what's out there currently. Thanks for any info.

My recommendation would be to stop being so paranoid. IPtorrents and demonoid are the same as ever despite what your expert friend says.

Funkin'
09-01-2010, 09:16 AM
My recommendation would be to stop being so paranoid. IPtorrents and demonoid are the same as ever despite what your expert friend says.

^ Definitely.

If you're too paranoid about it then you should just move on to a different method of file sharing.

NinjaDMP
09-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, i was just curious if there were simple steps I could take that would keep myself relatively safer, I'm not too paranoid or losing any sleep about it.

Whatup Funkin' I think you're the one who originally hooked me up the IPT invite a couple years back, thanks again and good to see ya.

anon
09-01-2010, 04:47 PM
^ Definitely.

If you're too paranoid about it then you should just move on to a different method of file sharing.

Hey, what happened to your avatar? :(

Downloader
09-01-2010, 06:09 PM
You'll probably be safe with Demonoid (at least their own torrents) or just use private trackers

anon
09-01-2010, 06:31 PM
You'll probably be safe with Demonoid (at least their own torrents)

How would sticking to Demonoid-tracked torrents really improve your security?

Funkin'
09-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, i was just curious if there were simple steps I could take that would keep myself relatively safer, I'm not too paranoid or losing any sleep about it.

Whatup Funkin' I think you're the one who originally hooked me up the IPT invite a couple years back, thanks again and good to see ya.

Yep, that was me. No problem and good to see you too. I enjoy passing out invites to people that will actually use the site(as you obviously have).

And yeah, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either. Like you said, you've been there over a couple years so far. And you if you haven't ran into any problems by now then I wouldn't worry about it by now. Yes, IPT is a huge site. And yes, there is no doubt in my mind that the site is being watched(probably like every other bittorrent site out there). But as for simple steps, I would just do what has been mentioned here quite a few times. Stay away from really hot brand new releases for a while, along with cam'd movies. I don't worry about it at all since I don't use the site for new material, just the older stuff that is hard to find.

But like I said, if it really starts to get to you, then definitely check out one-click hosters or Usenet. I'm in love with these methods of file sharing. They cost a few dollars a month, but I don't have to worry at all about what I'm grabbing or where I'm grabbing it from.

Hey, what happened to your avatar? :(

Hmm...I wasn't aware that it was gone. I turned off viewing avatars and sigs in my profile to speedy up the site some(plus I really don't care about seeing people's avatars/sigs), maybe that had something to do with it?

lol87
09-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I think that Demonoid is the most risky one to use. I noticed that they have open registration constantly.

IPT is more safe. I use IPT rarely, but I like IPT. Torrentday is risky as well, since they have open registration constantly. By the way Torrentday is actually a nice tracker.

Tutela
09-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I got a cease-and-desist letter for using TL, so there ya go. I know it's common on the forums (and they deny everything ofc.) demonoid all the way baby!

anon
09-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I got a cease-and-desist letter for using TL ... demonoid all the way baby!

So you got a letter for downloading from TL, but not for doing the same on Demonoid? :blink:

blurayripper
09-02-2010, 07:18 PM
If IPT is mentally tainted then you should move on and try filelist.ro instead. You will feel at home rather quickly. Other alternatives are REVTT and TL of course but those are minor safety upgrades. Good luck.

optimuscrime
09-03-2010, 01:04 AM
If you really want to feel safe I would look into a vps.

mrnobody
09-03-2010, 02:29 AM
if you really really want to feel safe, i would stop downloading illegally.

gamesover
09-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Or if you want to feel safe just join the most secure high level tracker because level 10 trackers never get shut down :rolleyes:

Tutela
09-03-2010, 10:05 AM
yaeh, I got one for downloading some game, I can't remember what it was, and they specified the tracker as torrentleech.org Aparently it's not the first time it's happened. IO don't get much from demonoid these days though, only if I ca't find it elsewhere

jwkwhud
09-03-2010, 11:50 PM

ELearner
09-04-2010, 06:48 AM
One should assume most trackers are being monitored at least a little bit. Of course Demonoid is a given, and it wouldn't be surprising if IPT is being watched somehow as well. Obviously copyright agencies can and do go after smaller sites, but why waste a lot of time on those when looking for people on Demonoid or some other large site is much easier. I know smaller sites have been busted, so they're definitely not 100% safe either.

Sound advice in this thread posted already. And yeah if you're super paranoid do what chinchi11as said. :P

Agree.