PDA

View Full Version : Question about internet speed

wbandit
09-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Why is that my internet download speed with Comcast is 12mbps but I am lucky to get up to 1.5mbps when dowloading torrents. Could I switch to the cheaper 6mbps and it not make a difference?

Tutela
09-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Throttling :) don't know if switching will do it, but try updating your settings to those of the optimisation guide, watch what your limit is set to in uTorrent.
Also, does 1.5 show up in uTorrent. Cos you pay for 12Mb, so that's equal to 1.5 MegaBytes

anon
09-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Also, does 1.5 show up in uTorrent. Cos you pay for 12Mb, so that's equal to 1.5 MegaBytes

The thread started said "12 Mbps", so I guess he knows about that marketing trick.

And yeah, the answer's probably P2P throttling/shaping, a dirty practice my ISP also engages on to avoid buying new equipment. :angry:

Thankfully, using uTorrent in uTP-only mode (bt.transp_disposition 10) solved that. Supposedly, they can't shape UDP traffic without affecting other non-P2P applications, and also can't sandvine it like they used to. Of course, they can always disconnect you if they want.

wbandit
09-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Throttling :) don't know if switching will do it, but try updating your settings to those of the optimisation guide, watch what your limit is set to in uTorrent.

Where is the optimization guide? Also, what do you mean 12mb is equal to 1.5mb? So how fast are you guys getting with utorrent? I can save a lot by going from Comcast 12mbps to ATT Dsl at 6mbps.

anon
09-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Where is the optimization guide?

Options -> Setup Guide

Also, what do you mean 12mb is equal to 1.5mb?

Connection speeds are measured in megabits, while uTorrent would show your speeds in megabytes per second. To convert bits to bytes, you must divide by eight. So 12Mbps (megabits per second) divided by 8 = 1.5MB/s (megabytes per second).

So how fast are you guys getting with utorrent?

I'm on a 3Mbit plan and can get over 350kB/s, which is very good.

Tutela
09-06-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm on 10Mbit, and get about 1.2 MegaBytes/secm, the optimisation guide is linked to in pretty much every private trcker there is, and on the uTorrent page too, quick google will get it for you.

anon
09-13-2010, 09:13 PM
i have a 10 M NGN

Let's trade my 3Mbit Cable for your connection.

I can obviously give it a usage better than yours, by not posting loads of crap just to trade as soon as I'm able to, for example.

dmkreation
09-14-2010, 12:08 AM
i am gettin a wimax

sinman
09-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Move to a more liberal country..

axa
09-18-2010, 05:30 PM
12 mb : 8 = 1,5 real mb

ItsFixed
11-29-2011, 01:34 PM
This internet-speed test tool does not ask you to install anything on your PC, and runs from the server itself. It is clean, safe, and fast enough to get you through the test without stifling a yawn of boredom. Try it out today. You won’t be disappointed.

ItsFixed
12-12-2011, 11:26 AM
The speed test measures the last-mile speed of your connection – the value promised by your service provider - using a server that is geographically closest to you. It does not measure the actual transfer speed of a file over the internet. That would introduce a host of variables into the test that are not under the service provider's control, such as the content provider's server load and bandwidth.

mjmacky
12-12-2011, 05:20 PM
The speed test measures the last-mile speed of your connection – the value promised by your service provider - using a server that is geographically closest to you. It does not measure the actual transfer speed of a file over the internet. That would introduce a host of variables into the test that are not under the service provider's control, such as the content provider's server load and bandwidth.

There isn't much to stop you from testing through other servers, including international ones.

narindersingh
03-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Sorry dear i don't have any idea about this matter.

Kenmallit
03-29-2012, 06:06 AM
If you want an high speed internet connection then why don't you switch to Ethernet internet services. Ethernet Internet Connection provide me a powerful, cost-efficient, high-quality connection that allows you to seamlessly exchange data throughout network and also allows to extend local area Network or Wide Area Network to locations inside of and between cities.

mjmacky
03-29-2012, 06:40 AM
If you want an high speed internet connection then why don't you switch to Ethernet internet services. Ethernet Internet Connection provide me a powerful, cost-efficient, high-quality connection that allows you to seamlessly exchange data throughout network and also allows to extend local area Network or Wide Area Network to locations inside of and between cities.

Oh great, a bot from the late 90s has invaded and completely wasted its time traveling on this forum.

anon
03-29-2012, 11:51 AM

Can you use the phone and browse the Internet at the same time with that? :w00t:

mjmacky
04-03-2012, 05:46 AM
Comcast is primarily known as a cable television provider, but they also provide high-speed Internet service. If you use Comcast high-speed Internet, but you are experiencing slower than normal Internet speeds, you may want to check your Comcast Internet speed to see if the actual Internet speeds match the advertised speeds...

I should probably put this in spoilers but...

Your tested speed will never, I repeat NEVER, match advertised speeds. If you show me a case where that does happen, I will sell all my belongings and offer you the proceeds while I consequently become your gimp for life.

netjuba
04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
speedtest .net most of people use they connect to server of all over isps for best result