View Full Version : Deleting write protected files

senegal
09-06-2010, 08:31 PM
How can I delete those files?
I tried with Pocket KillBox, but no result so far! :mellow:
Any ideas? :unsure:

anon
09-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Well, that's pretty weird. Usually Windows should merely confirm whether you want to delete the files despite them being read-only, when deleting them the "normal" way.

What file do you want to delete and which options did you try in Killbox?

Expeto
09-07-2010, 05:07 PM
pretty weird indeed, try starting PC in safe mode to delete it. You can try the software called "eraser", but its not intended for such stuff, probably wont work. If you are willing to take a dare, you can use a linux live CD to wipe the file for sure.
What file is this ? It might be a virus or trojan.

anon
09-07-2010, 05:47 PM
If you are willing to take a dare, you can use a linux live CD to wipe the file for sure.

Someone I know had the same issue as senegal recently, coincidentally. The file was called ipsec.sys: (yes, with a colon at the end!), located in the "drivers" folder, and Windows even said it was actually a folder! This person tried pretty much all the tricks, including booting off a live XP CD, but the thing just wouldn't be deleted.

Killing it using CIA Commander 1.0 did the trick :)

Tv Controls you
09-08-2010, 12:07 PM
You actually have multiple options when it comes to this issue.

1st, I would try to boot your current operating system in safe mode, and attempt to delete it under the administrator account.

If that doesnt work:
1) take the harddrive off your computer and hook it up as a secondary on another computer...

OR.....

2) boot a live linux cd, hirens boot disk, live xp. OR any file explorer that allows you to delete files, without loading from your hard drive.

*If you know simple cmd commands.... you could even make a bootable dos flopy... and it would take about 30 seconds to make..

Cabalo
09-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Install GPartEd on a USB drive and erase them all.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

senegal
09-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, that's pretty weird. Usually Windows should merely confirm whether you want to delete the files despite them being read-only, when deleting them the "normal" way.

What file do you want to delete and which options did you try in Killbox?

MPEG Audio Layer3 (MP3) File
I tried Standard File Kill.
Should I try Delete on reboot?

PS: The files are in my phone memory card.

Install GPartEd on a USB drive and erase them all.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

ok, I'll try this.

Tv Controls you
09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Phone memory card?

lol, I thought you were talking about your computer...
If its just your phone memory card, I would just backup everything I wanted to keep on my main computer and format the thing...
Then re transfer over all the files I wanted.

senegal
09-08-2010, 02:13 PM
HAHA!
that worked

Tv Controls you
09-09-2010, 01:43 AM
You talking about my method?

I had this one shitty camera that would always corrupt jpeg pictures, and I was stuck constantly formatting and backing up lol.

senegal
09-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Yes, ur method rulzzz.
If it happens to the photo camera, I'll proceed the same way.
thanks.