PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else a member of DOP?

mjmacky
09-13-2010, 10:41 AM
The depths of perversion site has been down for over a week, 2nd time recently. It was a small cool community, I loved it there. But since it's gone down twice recently, I feel like it's lost a lot of steam. Is anyone @ fst also a member there? If so, come say hello and let the comforting begin (me... comfort me)

anon
09-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Is anyone @ fst also a member there? If so, come say hello and let the comforting begin (me... comfort me)

I know superjojo and ringhunter are members there, if that's what you're wondering. :P

mjmacky
09-14-2010, 12:30 AM
What I was trying to do is create a thread outside of the site for times like these when it goes down, because it feels so lonely... was hoping for my woodwork exiting. Ever since I started getting all my stuff from usenet, torrents have been, well a moot point. DOP however made it worthwhile. I wouldn't have even started watching This Is Not My Life, which is now one of my favorite shows!

Quarterquack
09-14-2010, 04:31 PM
According to a thread on HDB, it's down and probably won't be back up. There's the usual jokes flying around about how CP is the reason it got taken down, so I don't have a real reason for you. However, I'd advise you to rely on usenet, for now.

Off-topic: I remember you from on there. You were always a level-headed/nice guy. If you need help/tips with anything, don't hesitate to shoot a pm my way.

mjmacky
09-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Oh that's just the saddest news possible, I think I feel a sudden void inside. You know, if it was going down like this, Captain Planet should have made some sort of appearance, but alas he was not to be seen. It also seemed to me like it won't be coming back, when I try the url, I get an OpenDNS search page instead of the other error page.

Yeah usenet is my goto service, but I really like to contribute and have an HD obsessed community at my fingertips. Well I'd like to find another place to go. If I remember, HDB is a 'do not try to get in here' site, so I don't know if you'd be able to recommend another DOP-like community.

Quarterquack
09-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Well, if you're looking for a tracker constituting both quality content and an incredibly satirical community (especially on controversial topics) then I think the only place that is similar is the "do not try to get in here" site that you know of.

If you're looking for the quality material, CHDBits and HDChina are both great resources. I'd personally pick the former, simply because of their great encodes. Don't bother with other HD sites; I've given all their groups a try, and it's sad to say but they are pathetic. Unfortunately, both the aforementioned trackers are non-English.

If anyone wants to chime in with their opinion, you're welcome to do so. I'm not a member of many HD trackers (one at the moment) so I have no idea what's considered a "good" place (I've heard multiple name-drops for HD-Torrents and AwesomeHD) and what's not. I just know what's quality and what's not.

IdolEyes787
09-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Well, if you're looking for a tracker constituting both quality content and an incredibly satirical community (especially on controversial topics) then I think the only place that is similar is the "do not try to get in here" site that you know of.

By satirical did you mean full of contempt ?

gamesover
09-15-2010, 02:01 AM

If you're looking for the quality material, CHDBits and HDChina are both great resources. I'd personally pick the former, simply because of their great encodes. Don't bother with other HD sites; I've given all their groups a try, and it's sad to say but they are pathetic. Unfortunately, both the aforementioned trackers are non-English.

If anyone wants to chime in with their opinion, you're welcome to do so. I'm not a member of many HD trackers (one at the moment) so I have no idea what's considered a "good" place (I've heard multiple name-drops for HD-Torrents and AwesomeHD) and what's not. I just know what's quality and what's not.

What about bit-hdtv, hdcorea, or scenehd? chdbits is my second favorite tracker after hdbits, the language barrier doesn't matter much to me.

Quarterquack
09-15-2010, 02:53 AM
By satirical did you mean full of contempt ?

You should see the anti-america/theology debates. Dime a dozen, each one goes on for dozens of pages and is usually a collection of the most eloquent ways one can say "fuck the other guy".

What about bit-hdtv, hdcorea, or scenehd? chdbits is my second favorite tracker after hdbits, the language barrier doesn't matter much to me.

I was a member at bit-hdtv before the whole password database getting leaked fiasco. From what I hear about it nowadays it lost encoders/staff/members etc. and isn't doing too well. I'm sure members know way more than I, but I'd be warded off given their track record. HDCorea is one of those easy-to-join websites, that also shares/races a lot of content from other places. They host open sign-ups every March, I think, so if you're looking for an "in" you just have to be patient. I've heard it's a fantastic place to join for content etc.

SceneHD is... well, self-explanatory. I don't sign-up to P2P trackers that make a stand against scene standards just so I can turn around and conform to the exact same releases on two different protocols.

mjmacky
09-15-2010, 03:11 AM
So by language barrier, are we saying they don't have active English-based discussions @ CHDBits and HDChina? I don't know if it's enough of a reason to brush up my Chinese beyond "Nǐ hǎo ma" (你好吗) and "cào nǐ mā" (肏你妈), man it gets awkward when I confuse those two phrases. I would love to hear people chime in about different HD communities. I'm too ADD to think of joining more than one site. I also have to think about which sites I can realistically get into, I'm sure I'd be a great new member but usenet is the only thing that can vouch for me at the moment. I'm also looking to learn more tricks of the trade about encoding, I actually started posting here on FST when DOP went down, just bunking until I can find a new place to stay (but I'll still visit sometimes)

Thanks for the insight on content quality at each of those sites, which is by and far the most important. I'm just trying to tune my choice to what the people are like there, since I can still get a plethora of stuff off usenet, I love grabbing some of those caps to do my own encodes.

Quarterquack
09-15-2010, 03:21 AM
Realistically speaking, how much encoding do you think you'll be doing? Do you have any samples of your work that people can take a look at?

mjmacky
09-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Realistically speaking, how much encoding do you think you'll be doing? Do you have any samples of your work that people can take a look at?

I'll always be encoding, but how much is really a question of good source vs. available release encoding quality if you know what I mean. I do have stuff out there, I'll send a PM your way, and you can take a look at it if you're curious.

IdolEyes787
09-15-2010, 12:41 PM
You should see the anti-america/theology debates. Dime a dozen, each one goes on for dozens of pages and is usually a collection of the most eloquent ways one can say "fuck the other guy".

Easy targets, both figuratively and literally . True wit finds ways to transcend the obvious.

Btw considering their present policies about wanting to keep the nest of traders/sellers safely tucked away in their site , "you should see" is an unfortunate choice of words.:mellow:

Also I meant contemptuous in the purest sense of the word since some people aligned with said tracker that I have had the misfortune to come into contact with show varying degrees of contempt towards "lesser" :ermm: formats as well as the people who (still) appreciate them.
But that's stating the obvious isn't it?

I'm only mentioning this (again) because there is an elemental difference between appreciating something and denouncing everything else.

minevoid
09-15-2010, 10:26 PM
:inlove:

mjmacky
09-16-2010, 04:47 AM
some people aligned with said tracker that I have had the misfortune to come into contact with show varying degrees of contempt towards "lesser" :ermm: formats as well as the people who (still) appreciate them.

I have on one or two occasions removed certain people from my life based on the fact that they only download xvids. I had other suspicions about said people, but that final note sealed it. It's not exactly the same thing you're talking about, but rather the irritation I feel around people that refuse to learn about something new. I don't have contempt for people that have a knowledgeable appreciation for xvid, but quite frankly most people couldn't tell you exactly what it is, yet it's still the most prevalent format out there... and that is something I can contemptify. Things seem to have moved forward in the anime community though.

Disme
09-16-2010, 08:14 AM
I have on one or two occasions removed certain people from my life based on the fact that they only download xvids.

Gratz mister :hooray:... this is by far the most anal statement I've read here at FST in quite a while :slap:

mjmacky
09-16-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm an ANALytical chemist, go figure

To put it into perspective, I've removed lots of people from my life, I'm rather intolerant of those who are satisfied with only knowing what they already believe they know. In many cases it was on religious fanaticism from my past, or political fanaticism from my recent past, but there's been a few on technological grounds. I don't even talk to my brother over a computer issue, but there's a lot more baggage in that. Basically I'm oversimplifying the statement, but why should I delve any further than that on a filesharing forum?

Quarterquack
09-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Also I meant contemptuous in the purest sense of the word since some people aligned with said tracker that I have had the misfortune to come into contact with show varying degrees of contempt towards "lesser" :ermm: formats as well as the people who (still) appreciate them.
But that's stating the obvious isn't it?

I'm only mentioning this (again) because there is an elemental difference between appreciating something and denouncing everything else.

Doesn't that one chalk up to the human spirit, though? Owning a color TV and denouncing black and white. Owning an FM tuner and denouncing AM. Owning FLAC rips and denouncing 320kbps mp3's. I honestly think this one falls into the "If you have the best possible of something, and are content, you usually make fun of everything else" range. I won't even attempt at hiding the fact that I laugh at people still using a 3.1 speaker setup. I usually even offer to improve their system just because of the fact that I don't want them stuck in the stone age.

It's classic improvement vs. retrospection.

Also, while a majority of the members do enjoy a very specific kind of releases, that may seem unreasonable to you since you're of the stance that the quality of the movie lies in the movie, I know quite a few that still enjoy "normal" releases by IMAGiNE, FLAWL3SS etc. It's a small minority, though.

I'm an ANALytical chemist, go figure

I still want you to make those buffers for me. :love:

IdolEyes787
09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
some people aligned with said tracker that I have had the misfortune to come into contact with show varying degrees of contempt towards "lesser" :ermm: formats as well as the people who (still) appreciate them.

I have on one or two occasions removed certain people from my life based on the fact that they only download xvids. I had other suspicions about said people, but that final note sealed it. It's not exactly the same thing you're talking about, but rather the irritation I feel around people that refuse to learn about something new. I don't have contempt for people that have a knowledgeable appreciation for xvid, but quite frankly most people couldn't tell you exactly what it is, yet it's still the most prevalent format out there... and that is something I can contemptify. Things seem to have moved forward in the anime community though.
You seem to confuse the concepts of not knowing enough to care and not caring enough to know.:mellow:

Does viewing in non-HD detract from the enjoyment of a movie ? No more than watching in B&W does .
Film is an art form not an exercise in technology, therefore good movies will remain that regardless of the format ( as so bad ones will remain bad) a concept often totally lost on certain HD proponents who in their quest to always be on the cutting edge only speak about the whether something is clear enough.
Technology is transient,art on the other hand is timeless.Therefore you are an idiot.

As to your infantile final judgments on things and people .

During his tenure as a professor, Albert Einstein was visited by a student. "The questions on this year's exam are the same as last year's!" the young man exclaimed.
"Yes," Einstein answered, "but this year all the answers are different."

Doesn't that one chalk up to the human spirit, though? Owning a color TV and denouncing black and white. Owning an FM tuner and denouncing AM. Owning FLAC rips and denouncing 320kbps mp3's. I honestly think this one falls into the "If you have the best possible of something, and are content, you usually make fun of everything else" range. I won't even attempt at hiding the fact that I laugh at people still using a 3.1 speaker setup. I usually even offer to improve their system just because of the fact that I don't want them stuck in the stone age.

It's classic improvement vs. retrospection.

Also, while a majority of the members do enjoy a very specific kind of releases, that may seem unreasonable to you since you're of the stance that the quality of the movie lies in the movie, I know quite a few that still enjoy "normal" releases by IMAGiNE, FLAWL3SS etc. It's a small minority, though.

Another sad attempt by people who really don't care but only pretend to in an effort to be more excepted by a bunch of wanks that if you met them in real life and if you had any sense at all you would turn and run the other way.

As for your efforts to stay "out of the stone-age" ; newer doesn't always necessarily always equate to better . Sometimes quite the opposite and what you are confusing with "human spirit":dabs: is nothing more than what is termed "our consumer society " and if your life decisions what to be based totally on something that an Ad agency somewhere tells you to do and you deludedly then think are your own thoughts then go for it I say.

Of course you probably talk into a cell-phone all day to stay "connected " to people as nothing but people pass you by so .....

And that post is probably long enough to officially kill this thread.

Quarterquack
09-16-2010, 12:40 PM
But then, Idol, wouldn't you say that people who enjoy HD content pay the respect due to the art/work put forth by the producer, so as to see it as/is intended? No one can deny that from the first CAM source out, to the final BD source there is a huge quality/audio/experiential difference, and surely enough it's a fair point to say people want to appreciate the movie as the director wanted it to be viewed.

Good art is only good because of the amount of introspection it sparks, the amount of empathy one feels when experience it; because it touches the senses in ways other art/fantasies cannot. However, you still wouldn't buy a Monet if it were made out of cheetos, no matter how much of a perfect replica it is. You aren't paying the due respect to the artistic integrity of the work.

IdolEyes787
09-16-2010, 12:49 PM
But then, Idol, wouldn't you say that people who enjoy HD content pay the respect due to the art/work put forth by the producer, so as to see it as/is intended? No one can deny that from the first CAM source out, to the final BD source there is a huge quality/audio/experiential difference, and surely enough it's a fair point to say people want to appreciate the movie as the director wanted it to be viewed.

Good art is only good because of the amount of introspection it sparks, the amount of empathy one feels when experience it; because it touches the senses in ways other art/fantasies cannot. However, you still wouldn't buy a Monet if it were made out of cheetos, no matter how much of a perfect replica it is. You aren't paying the due respect to the artistic integrity of the work.

Umm the Cheetos Momet is also art.Maybe not as much as a Cheetos Botticelli but art nonetheless .:lol:
The fact that you fail to see that ( or that you used an Impressionist as an example in a debate about realism :unsure:) sort of defeats your point.

People, the majority at least , want HD because of the marketing or in the case of tracker id i ots in a futile attempt to fit in with the "cool" crowd. Cool being ironically used here seeing that this is the internet.
No wait you are right people want HD so that they can properly respect the auteur behind G.I. Joe .:mellow::mellow:

Quarterquack
09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Another sad attempt by people who really don't care but only pretend to in an effort to be more excepted by a bunch of wanks that if you met them in real life and if you had any sense at all you would turn and run the other way.

As for your efforts to stay "out of the stone-age" ; newer doesn't always necessarily always equate to better . Sometimes quite the opposite and what you are confusing with "human spirit":dabs: is nothing more than what is termed "our consumer society " and if your life decisions what to be based totally on something that an Ad agency somewhere tells you to do and you deludedly then think are your own thoughts then go for it I say.

Of course you probably talk into a cell-phone all day to stay "connected " to people as nothing but people pass you by so .....

I don't understand how pirating movies quite equates to wishing to be accepted. The two are largely unrelated, and the fact is, I probably end up watching the movie by myself, or by at most one friend with me, who wouldn't mind my company while watching a crappy movie, in lieu of my company otherwise. Torrenting/piracy/HD was a fashion statement at one point. There used to be a point in time where moving to HD meant you weren't trying to stay ahead of the curve, more than you were simply following it. I would say you're making a false assumption that just because someone can appreciate quality, they must be fooling themselves and others into believing that that is truly their intent. To put it in a different way: There was to be a reason that the Metropolis re-release had a blu-ray release scheduled, as well as an HD broadcast. It's not because the broadcasters wanted to appeal to sheep.

Arguing that just because you saw a few retarded people defending the opposing case to yours, then by all means every single one of said defense is retarded, is just that.

IdolEyes787
09-16-2010, 01:10 PM
There was to be a reason that the Metropolis re-release had a blu-ray release scheduled, as well as an HD broadcast. It's not because the broadcasters wanted to appeal to sheep.No it's because that it's already been released in every other form and this was deemed, quality aside, the best way to attempt to bleed more money from the stone.http://filesharingtalk.vb3/images/smilies/mellow.gif:mellow:

Arguing that just because you saw a few retarded people defending the opposing case to yours, then by all means every single one of said defense is retarded, is just that.
I accept that I'm retarded but to paraphrase the original Rollerball ,even a plant knows when the light is shining on it.:idunno:

mjmacky
09-16-2010, 10:50 PM
You seem to confuse the concepts of not knowing enough to care and not caring enough to know.:mellow:

I think I must not have elaborated correctly if that's what you took away. I'm solely anti "not caring enough to know". Not knowing enough to care is a stage of development for every person, thus it would be a fruitless exercise to be occupied with that concern. To better capture the spirit of my contempt, the conversation between myself and a former acquaintance will be dramatized by 2 bears, I will be #1.

#1: Oh yeah I have a good copy, I can drop by and transfer it to you
#2: Nevermind that, I can put it on my USB
#1: What size do you have?
#2: I think 1 Gig
#1: It won't fit, I'll just stop by, it's already on my external
#2: It'll fit cause it has nothing on it
#1: Yeah but it's like 4 gigs
#2: Why is it so big?
#1: That's pretty normal for a 720p H.264
#2: What does that mean?
#1: It's a hi-def file, you know, usually MKV
#2: All the movies I get are around 700 megs
#1: You probably download XVIDs
#2: Oh yeah, those, they have the best quality
#1: Dude, let me put my copy on your laptop, and we'll hook it up to your TV, and play both this movie and your XVID, and then I'll let you state which has the best quality
#2: Isn't it still XVID
#1: No it's x264
#2: Oh nevermind I don't want it
#1: I can even set your system up to play them just fine, wouldn't take me more time than it does to transfer the file over USB
#2: I don't care, if it's not XVID, why would I want it
#1: Because I'd assume you like it in the best quality possible
#2: Yeah that's why I'll wait for the XVID
#1: Both versions are already out
#2: Then I'm gonna download the XVID
#1: But I could transfer the file to you in less time than it would take you to download
#2: Yeah but you don't have the XVID
#1: That's what I'm telling you, x264 is way better than XVID at the same bitrate and mine probably has 5 times the bit rate of an XVID
#2: I don't care
#1: And for stuff you play when hooked up to your TV is going to look a hell of a lot better
#1: It fucking prints money
#1: It can grant up to 3 wishes, even if one of those wishes is the XVID copy
#2: I don't care...

When I first saw that YouTube video, I was reminded of having a conversation, which was so similar in nature, with someone on a video codec subject. I started to describe in more detail about xvid/divx/avi/h.264/x264, and it literally ended with him telling me to shut up because xvid is better than whatever shit I'm talking about because he's seen xvid. It just got really ridiculous, and I never bothered to talk or hang out with him again. Naturally you should assume it wasn't the first time I had an argument with th8is particular individual. So now that I've elaborated, I'll stop with that point.

Does viewing in non-HD detract from the enjoyment of a movie ? No more than watching in B&W does.

Can I just interject to say that personally it does bother me quite a bit, being a videophile, if there is such a thing. I could place on exhibit... cams, but I'd rather stick to material that I've sat through. XVID artifacts that appear mostly because the bit rates are still being impractically restricted, really do irritate me to the point I just start cussing at the screen and beg for one of these fairytale Armageddon scenarios claim the population of life. And at the same time, a bunch of people pop up on and comment, "hey great quality, 10/V 10/A" from when I used to grab stuff in public just flip my switch a whole new level. It shouldn't irritate me as much as it does... but ohhhh it does. It's not their fault, it's the situation of the fsing community out there.

Technology is transient,art on the other hand is timeless.Therefore you are an idiot.

As to your infantile final judgments on things and people...

First of all, either something resonated really poorly with you, or you've majorly erred in judgment. I am in my own way venting, but I haven't taken anything out on anyone else in here, so it's a bit uncalled for, and I can't really pinpoint why you'd have the urge to throw that in. It just doesn't fit with the flow of your post.

Art, among its many services, provides entertainment. Technology is more than a delivery mechanism for art, it enhances it as well. A phonograph may have its charm to some, but wouldn't you prefer to hear Bolero's Revel @ 320 kbits/s on a home theatre system? Let's extend this analogy outside of art to comment on human taste. I know some people who, with deepest conviction, do not care what car they drive as long as it gets them from point A to point B. I am not one of those people, I have preferences tailored to type, color, styling, fuel efficiency, comfort, power. I'm very picky, and I understand that I'm more critical than most people. Ok I'm not actually going to finish my point because this is long-winded and I'm not sure if anyone's even going to read it. If you made it this far, use your imagination, I still have to read the rest of these posts.

I don't understand how pirating movies quite equates to wishing to be accepted. The two are largely unrelated, and the fact is, I probably end up watching the movie by myself, or by at most one friend with me

This made me think. The only time I watch xvids nowadays is when these 2 conditions are met:

1) I absolutely cannot find whatsoever a 1080i mpeg2 cap, DVD source or 720p x264/vc-1/etc
2) I have someone to watch it with...

To me this means I can only ignore the quality potential gap if I have someone there to share the content with.

example...
Avatar: the Last Airbender, a series which I paid no attention to until I heard about it enough times on The Totally Rad Show, which lead to watching the first season on Netflix, and downloading the 2nd and 3rd seasons as xvids. Right now, it's the only thing in my library with xvid. I wouldn't mind so much if most people actually bothered to optimize their encodes, but most of it is scene, which holds onto this archaic system of having the exact same file size to the MB and race to release. I may have just shown how little I know about scene, but that's how I've understood it thus far.

IdolEyes787
09-16-2010, 11:40 PM
First I want to say that I had no problem finishing your post however long it might be as I'd rather put in the effort to read something well thought out with clear points made and substantiated ,even if I don't happen to agree with them , than all the short vacuous posts in the world.:)

That said Art( the capital T kind at least ) I suppose in a very general sense "entertains " as in entertains the senses ( yes that is a strange sentence) but that is hardly it's chief goal.
Art ( the capital T kind) enlightens and elevates .It give voice to truths otherwise often too fundamental or alternately complex for words . It never romanticizes but always dignifies.
That whether you find it in pristine blu-ray, faded old canvas ,scratched vinyl or even a perfect run down a half-pipe that is how it is and how it will always remain.

On the other hand the fact that artifacts bother you is understandable though .The fact that you think it somehow lessens Art is not.

Btw it bothers me as well the stupid numerical comments that people make as if they supposedly mean anything.

Anyway you've made your point and as much as I've said that I don't agree with it I respect it enough not to bother you again about it.

The youtube quote though ..... it's like an impassioned conversation between two accountants.I'm sure that they find it fascinating but no one else does.For my money at least ,not being an account ...I mean technophile Bill Hicks it ain't.
Hey but what the hell do I know? I have never ,ever concerned myself about encodes or bitrates and on the rare occasion that I watch youtube I browse old David Bowie and parkour videos or look for hot women in various states of undress .:mellow:

Btw sorry about the stupid laughing smiley to open the post.I didn't put it there and as it's somehow strangely showing outside the general text in the edit screen I can't remove it.:pinch:

mjmacky
09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah in case the reference may have been lost, since I left it out somewhere, I was parodying the iPhone4 vs HTC Evo bears. I don't care about either phone, but the ifanboy mentality is something of a commercialized thought.

A
09-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Quality of the print/encode (except cams) has got nothing to do with appreciating the movie,it does when people "see" the movie not for what it is and intended for but when "seen" for how well the encode is done and to get a satisfaction from knowing that you have the best print/encode.When the movie finishes if the first thoughts that come to your mind is "What an awesome encode" instead of "What an awesome movie" then surely you are not a "cinephile" but a "videophile" as you mentioned.

I started to describe in more detail about xvid/divx/avi/h.264/x264, and it literally ended with him telling me to shut up because xvid is better than whatever shit I'm talking about because he's seen xvid.
Tthats because he enjoys the movie instead of enjoying the encode :)

mjmacky
09-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Quality of the print/encode (except cams) has got nothing to do with appreciating the movie,it does when people "see" the movie not for what it is and intended for but when "seen" for how well the encode is done and to get a satisfaction from knowing that you have the best print/encode.When the movie finishes if the first thoughts that come to your mind is "What an awesome encode" instead of "What an awesome movie" then surely you are not a "cinephile" but a "videophile" as you mentioned.

No I'm not a cinephile, I think most of the movies are just utter crap. Is anyone really saying that a poor encode makes a poor movie? Why am I seeing responses formulated this way? It's a bit of misdirection.
I don't like seeing artifacts while watching vids, which become quite obvious and obnoxious even on a big screen. When the encode is done right, you don't think about quality, but if it's done poorly, now you have a reason to think about quality. Let's make it analogous with audio, let's say you have this buzzing sound on an audio track, you can hear everything but that damn sound is just starting to irritate you, well the lower quality encoded videos distract me in the same manner when you say major blocking, weird discolorations, fuzzy edges and general blurriness, among other things.

Tthats because he enjoys the movie instead of enjoying the encode :)

Your statement doesn't fit, this kid was attempting to assert XVID superiority based on the mere fact that he recognizes the name and has watched them. He was in fact trying to make a statement about encoding, without knowing what a codec was. So when I tried to explain how all this stuff works, the potential increase in information set off a warning in his brain and he panics and denounces all codecs based on name recognition alone, this d-bag to which I refer is an advertiser's wet dream.

IdolEyes787
09-18-2010, 12:40 PM
No I'm not a cinephile, I think most of the movies are just utter crap. Is anyone really saying that a poor encode makes a poor movie? Why am I seeing responses formulated this way? It's a bit of misdirection.
I don't like seeing artifacts while watching vids, which become quite obvious and obnoxious even on a big screen. When the encode is done right, you don't think about quality, but if it's done poorly, now you have a reason to think about quality. Let's make it analogous with audio, let's say you have this buzzing sound on an audio track, you can hear everything but that damn sound is just starting to irritate you, well the lower quality encoded videos distract me in the same manner when you say major blocking, weird discolorations, fuzzy edges and general blurriness, among other things.

I would assert that it's more you ( or me) than anything. As example ,nothing is more obtrusive than subtitles and yet if the movie is involving enough after a short while you don't even notice that they are there.Alternately I've had people tell me that they simply won't watch anything subtitled because it "spoils the movie".
Now don't take this the wrong way ( if in fact there is a right way to take it) but maybe the thing lacking is with you and not the movie or the 'cretins" that are happily putting up with it.

As I've said though you are entitled to your own opinion which may be every bit as valid if not more so than mine.:idunno:
I think the whole point is that while some of us are willing to accept that there are different perspectives ,some of us apparently are not.

mjmacky
09-18-2010, 01:08 PM
I would assert that it's more you ( or me) than anything. As example ,nothing is more obtrusive than subtitles and yet if the movie is involving enough after a short while you don't even notice that they are there.Alternately I've had people tell me that they simply won't watch anything subtitled because it "spoils the movie".
Now don't take this the wrong way ( if in fact there is a right way to take it) but maybe the thing lacking is with you and not the movie or the 'cretins" that are happily putting up with it.

As I've said though you are entitled to your own opinion which may be every bit as valid if not more so than mine.:idunno:
I think the whole point is that while some of us are willing to accept that there are different perspectives ,some of us apparently are not.

I cannot watch something in a dubbed language, for me it has to be in its original language and subtitled if I don't understand the language. The tone, inflection, lip synchronization, etc. doesn't match what you're watching. It almost always feels like the work is a parody, even for animation. Dubbed works just don't utilize the voice talent that is out there for original production. Now that's not to say that I don't find subtitles intrusive, it's that I get an overall better experience for all my senses when the audio is in its original language. I do my best to make the subtitles as clean looking as possible when watching, but I can't say that I just don't notice them after awhile because I'm unfortunately to ADD to get lost in it (I am processing the text and the video separately in my head, but can't quite do it at the same time... i.e. my brain doesn't do multithreading).

I absorb perspectives, they eventually all become part of Master Control

mjmacky
10-27-2010, 07:52 AM
The whole point of me continuing this thread was to further my journey to find a new place to settle, I spent a month over at x264.me before I got disabled (for having a disagreeable personality), I'm 0/3 with this private tracker thing.

1. Torrentday was a joke but it catalyzed my jump into private torrent with the research and seeking
2. DoP was amazing but shut down after awhile
3. x264 just had staff that wasn't appreciative of the intellectual framework. The content was nice... but if you can't get along with inferiority complex of some staffers then it's not really worth the effort.

Still looking for a community that prefers high quality content, the x264 codec, and people willing to participate in intellectual debate. I've got one on my mind, but have no idea how it's going to pan out yet.

kingeater
10-27-2010, 08:41 AM
If I may ask a question or two:
1) Are you looking for a strictly-HD/HD-focused site, or are palatable to a site with HD and SD content, but is concerned about the quality nonetheless (be it with the xvid or x264 codec)
2)In means of "Intellectual debate", do you just mean a site where you will be able to speak without repercussions and get (mostly) on-topic and intelligent feedback?
If that's the case, I probably have a decent idea where you should go. (As long as you aren't focused on a HD-centered site :P)

A
10-27-2010, 09:10 AM
HD Site and Intellectual discussions?Good look with that.

mjmacky
10-27-2010, 06:04 PM
If I may ask a question or two:
1) Are you looking for a strictly-HD/HD-focused site, or are palatable to a site with HD and SD content, but is concerned about the quality nonetheless (be it with the xvid or x264 codec)
2)In means of "Intellectual debate", do you just mean a site where you will be able to speak without repercussions and get (mostly) on-topic and intelligent feedback?
If that's the case, I probably have a decent idea where you should go. (As long as you aren't focused on a HD-centered site :P)

Well I'm more oriented to HD focus, but I don't dismiss SD content (not everything out there is at HD res). Quality is my first concern, and a close second is getting intelligent feedback without dealing with bullshit. I have refined my encoding abilities immensely, but no one can has a potential cap on growing/improving, especially when the technology continues to change. I would love to hear your suggestion, from your description I'm getting a feeling it is tehconnection.

HD Site and Intellectual discussions?Good look with that.

I know, I'm a dreamer. I'm still exploring, but I don't have a quintessential need to be a member, therefore I have the luxury to have picky standards. I've gone it alone, but I'd prefer to be along similar minded peeps.

A
10-27-2010, 06:15 PM
from your description I'm getting a feeling it is tehconnection.
Nope,he is referring to Goem most probably.

but if you can't get along with inferiority complex of some staffers then it's not really worth the effort.
Superiority complex?

P.S:Just curious,which character is that in your avatar and from which Anime?

kingeater
10-27-2010, 07:17 PM
AbyBeats, you hit one of the two I was thinking right on the head. (BTW, are you over there? Don't remember seeing you in the forums/chats :P). Only reason I like to promote it is that its a good site, lots of HD/SD stuff, and a pretty cool crowd. In means of judging/critiquing/helping with encodes, you probably aren't going to find as much info there as some other places. While saying that, there are a couple encoders that up some releases from time to time (including me :P) that probably could help you, and you could help us. But if it is more about learning to encode/encoding suggestions, there may be better sites out there for that. BTW, if you don't mind me asking, did you get disabled from x264 with disagreements on social/random chatting with the staff, or was it more of disagreements on the directions of encodes? Because there are definitely trackers that are actively looking for encoders, but there is usually a tight framework for doing internal encodes. I kinda like the framework, while I do know some that do not. Also, are you more of a 2-pass kinda guy, CRF, or both?

Aside: Nothing wrong with TehConnection, nice little spot. (Just wasn't for me). If you are just looking for an assload of movies/encoding opportunities, TehConnection and PTP are your best bets.

A
10-27-2010, 07:45 PM
(BTW, are you over there? Don't remember seeing you in the forums/chats ). Only reason I like to promote it is that its a good site, lots of HD/SD stuff, and a pretty cool crowd. In means of judging/critiquing/helping with encodes, you probably aren't going to find as much info there as some other places.
I like Goem for the above things you mentioned and in Goem I am more of a reader :P.I check out the collages and queue my downloads,enjoy reading those threads over there.People are smart and laid back,a nice community to be in.But never got around posting in forums,dunno why lol.I mainly download most of my movies from DDL sites these days so torrent wise I have little to no activity in Goem.And lemme guess the other tracker on your mind might be PTN?

mjmacky
10-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Nope,he is referring to Goem most probably.

Superiority complex?

P.S:Just curious,which character is that in your avatar and from which Anime?

Yeah aren't those complexes paradoxically the same? The avatar is Saito from Ghost in the Shell, the sniper whose cybernetic eye is linked in with satellite for his shots. He's always off on the side, featured only once, but a cool guy. I cropped him into an avatar long ago on a whim when I thought he's my best representation for the internet.

Only reason I like to promote it is that its a good site, lots of HD/SD stuff, and a pretty cool crowd. In means of judging/critiquing/helping with encodes, you probably aren't going to find as much info there as some other places. While saying that, there are a couple encoders that up some releases from time to time (including me :P) that probably could help you, and you could help us. But if it is more about learning to encode/encoding suggestions, there may be better sites out there for that. BTW, if you don't mind me asking, did you get disabled from x264 with disagreements on social/random chatting with the staff, or was it more of disagreements on the directions of encodes? Because there are definitely trackers that are actively looking for encoders, but there is usually a tight framework for doing internal encodes. I kinda like the framework, while I do know some that do not. Also, are you more of a 2-pass kinda guy, CRF, or both?

Aside: Nothing wrong with TehConnection, nice little spot. (Just wasn't for me). If you are just looking for an assload of movies/encoding opportunities, TehConnection and PTP are your best bets.

To be honest I've never heard of Goem, but I like the description you gave. As far as CRF vs 2 pass, well I think you can get away with CRF for just about anything. I like 2 pass when the movement of the film/episode is pretty consistent. I'll probably reserve CRF for movies that switch from slow pace to intense action in an uneven manner, otherwise 2-pass is a little bit more predictable in getting a transparent encode. I'm experienced with encoding and won't need tutors so to speak, but rather I like discussing the minor nuances and helping others out. I often find myself learning more when trying to answer someone else's question. So in essence yeah I'd like to be an internal encoder somewhere. You could also say I'm looking for encoding "opportunities", where I could grab some source caps to do HDTV movies and such, there's not much in the way of transport streams on usenet (that I have seen)

kingeater
10-28-2010, 05:22 AM
Yeah, I figured you were experienced and knew the ropes already. I bounce around a couple places, doing mostly CRF encodes (liked it mostly because I didn't really care for filesize restrictions, just the prettiest encode :P), and almost exclusively DVDRips. Reason being, I usually encode movies that cannot be found on Blu-Ray, random black-and-white and foreign flicks. What I meant with chatting with random encoders were about using different x264 settings and seing their effect on quality and time (me tesa vs me esa vs me umh for example). I've been slacking lately in the encoding department because of this. In means of untouched transport streams, you are probably shit out of luck at goem (not really any there), although there might be other places for that. If you want to get into goem, I'm more than happy to invite ya. You're probably better to ask around for the best site for sources (The obvious one being HDB, less obvious would be BtS or something along those lines). If you have any questions/comments/curiousities besides this stuff, feel free to shoot me a PM here or anywhere else you see my nick, I'll see how I can hook ya up :D

Aside: Just in case AbyBeats comes back in here, mind giving me a basic comparison/gist of the community of FSC compared to some other places I might be more familiar with? Applied for an invite in the recruitment thread somewhere else, heard good things and bad things (Like anywhere else :P). JUst figured I read your posts over at TPS/FST/other places, and it seems you are on the ball with this stuff, just curious of your opinion. Anyone else that's a member and wants to chime in, you're more than welcome to :P

A
10-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Aside: Just in case AbyBeats comes back in here, mind giving me a basic comparison/gist of the community of FSC compared to some other places I might be more familiar with? Applied for an invite in the recruitment thread somewhere else, heard good things and bad things (Like anywhere else ). JUst figured I read your posts over at TPS/FST/other places, and it seems you are on the ball with this stuff, just curious of your opinion. Anyone else that's a member and wants to chime in, you're more than welcome to
Click here (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/425691-FSC-talent-hunt?p=3522707&viewfull=1#post3522707)
That pretty much sums it up :P

Yeah aren't those complexes paradoxically the same?
Lets put it this way,Most trackers and staff have superiority complex and most members have inferiority complex.That's a good example to differentiate the both :yup:

mjmacky
01-28-2011, 02:18 AM
They're baaaaaack!