PDA

View Full Version : Is this build worth it?

MagicNakor
09-17-2010, 05:49 AM
For ~$1000+tax:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB SATA hard drive
22X DVD±RW drive dual layer
ATI HD5670 1GB GDDR5

For roughly $50 more:

Intel Core i5-750
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB SATA hard drive
24X DVD±RW drive dual layer
ATI HD5670 1GB DDR5

OR

Intel Core i7-860
8 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM
1TB SATA hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5

Unfortunately buying the pieces online and building myself isn't possible (hooray for rural areas), so prebuilt is my only option.

:shuriken:

Quarterquack
09-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Third one is your best option.

LubTheStaringCat
09-19-2010, 11:39 PM
If building yourself Isn't possible, then I'd go with the third option.

tiko
09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB SATA hard drive
22X DVD±RW drive dual layer
ATI HD5670 1GB GDDR5

cableguy25
09-21-2010, 04:05 PM
I'd say the third option is the best. I just built a computer with similar specs.

dracore999
09-21-2010, 06:33 PM
i agree third option will be best!

fatima
10-22-2010, 02:37 PM
follow third option

lea88
10-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Third option for sure. Avoid AMD at all costs. Its obsolete now.

The_Wire
10-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Though i've liked AMD for so many years, and most if not all of my setups were based on AMD, on my last setup i had to switch on an Intel, those latest cpus of theirs are really good. i got an 870 and it's pretty amazing.
So yeah i will have to suggest your third option as well, that 860 is pretty good.
As a side note, if you can go for some extra cost, then consider also the HD5850 instead of the 5670. There's a substancial difference in price, but if you can afford it, by all means go for it.
Good luck, i hope you enjoy your new rig pretty soon!

bijoy
10-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Intel Core i7-860
8 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM
1TB SATA hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5

go for this..

crazzyjoe31
10-30-2010, 04:26 AM
Of the choices you provided I have to agree that the third option is the best.

agronom
11-05-2010, 01:58 PM
only third

Detale
11-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Well I am bit disappointed in my fellow HW guys above. Before we get into "which is better" no one asked the first, most important question. What are you going to use the PC for? This will determine what is better for YOU. We all want the fastest CPU the most ram and the most kick ass Vid card but quite often we don't need all that. Don't get me wrong, those who know me know I'm one of the biggest PC part whores out there. There is no way that all 3 of those systems are the same price bud. None of those systems are worth $1000 IMO man. Even if you want a pre-built system let us know where you live and I'm sure we can find someone to ship to you man.

Also why is building it yourself not an option. You will save yourself quite a bit.

MagicNakor
11-09-2010, 06:07 PM
I use it for a combination of gaming and research. My current computer is quite a few years old now (Intel P4 Cedar Mill, nVidia 9400GT) but I've been able to just barely squeak by for games like Assassin's Creed or Fallout, some computations take a bit longer than I'd like. Sad to say they're all priced the same ("worth" is a different value entirely). The only shop that did custom jobs contracted it out to some overpriced place in Vancouver. I don't get shipping because most online places won't ship to a rural route address, and the one that will ship to the area (their depot, no delivery) tends to charge $$$$. However, I do live near enough to the border that I can hit the American post-Christmas sales and with the current dollar it's worth a thought.... Downside is that I don't know what the electronics stores are in the US (and I'd end up either in Omak or Oroville anyway which probably means a Best Buy or something). Building it myself would be an option.... if there were a store to buy parts from or an online place that would deliver. I have difficulty finding an internal harddrive in my area.

clocker
11-10-2010, 04:02 AM
Well I am bit disappointed in my fellow HW guys above. Before we get into "which is better" no one asked the first, most important question. What are you going to use the PC for?
Excellent point.

those who know me know I'm one of the biggest PC part whores out there.
"One" of?

Detale
11-11-2010, 09:53 PM
LOL Clock. I miss ya man, how you been? Sorry I've been an absentee forum guy for a while.

So Magic how do you get your mail then bud. Have you no friends that you could send the stuff to? Are you a hermit man!? Dude there are ways around this. Do yourself a favor go to newegg and pick some parts out for a build you would do. You will save yourself HUNDREDS of dollars or be able to get a much finer rig. Hell it may even be worth it to rent the canook equivalent of a P.O. box for a month.

MagicNakor
11-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Hah, I know it sounds backwards but it's the truth. I live in a small village (rarely on a map) and any reasonable parcels have to be shipped via Greyhound. Purolator and Canada Post can be pricy. They'll serve a pick-up notice as the packages are held at their respective depots. Newegg.ca will ship but according to their website I'd put out ~$465. As such, I don't do a lot of online ordering, despite wishing I could because my local options are not very good at all. With electronics are far cheaper in the USA and the dollar at parity I think I will do some weekend border-hopping. I vaguely recall Busyman talking about super-sales on some holiday named "Black (Dayoftheweek)" but other than a recollection of it being in November I don't know much about it.

OTOH I see a lot of bears.

Detale
11-12-2010, 11:37 PM
lol. black Friday bud. The day after Thanksgiving for us. Glad to hear it. What stores do you plan on visiting? May I suggest a Micro Center (http://www.microcenter.com/) if you can get close to one they will be your best bet.

Xbox_360
11-20-2010, 09:04 AM
So much hate for AMD, I see nothing wrong with AMD they offer great cpus for a very good price what's wrong with that? What is the best cpu is going to depend on what you plan to use your pc for. If you are going to be doing video encoding etc where more cores are better, then AMD's 6 core cpu may be the best for you. If you are just going to use the computer for everyday tasks like web browsing email etc you are likely not to see a difference between the i5/i7 or AMD. All the cpus listed will have no problem doing games at all.

Edit: I seen your post above and seen you said you live in Canada. Try NCIX.com it's a great site to buy computer parts from it's where almost all of mine came from. The store(s) are in Canada so no boarder fees or currency exchange. They offer price matching so if you find it cheaper somewhere else they will give it to you for that I use www.shopbot.ca. I also find that NewEgg.ca has high shipping charges as well.

lando
07-10-2011, 03:19 PM
i agree that the third one is your best option.