PDA

View Full Version : Any Photographers Around Here?

megabyteme
09-20-2010, 10:04 PM
My wife has been into photography for the past 10 years, or so. My interest has been primarily just supportive of her. I have also kept up with most of the software end (Photoshop and plug-ins) during that time.

My wife has started getting a few for-pay shoots. We did a corporate Christmas party this year, and she has shot about 5 senior year portraits. Between the two of us, we have made everyone happy.

I am now starting to think it might be a viable source of income. I've got a bad back that limits me from doing much else.

Anyone here fall in the same spectrum- from enthusiast to semi-pro to pro? What are your thoughts? Have you made any money? Are you still in the process of learning? Maybe just buying pieces of equipment... I'd like to hear from you.

iLOVENZB
09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
I did a photography class in my senior years of high school and I enjoyed it - manly enjoyed developing the images the dark room and capturing scenic shots. I would pursue it but couldn't be fucked paying for for the equipment.

Would you mind sharing some shots your wife has done?, non personal if you're uncomfortable.

megabyteme
09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
The cost of the equipment is brutal. At least with digital, there are no chemicals, or darkrooms. Lots of lenses/filters can be edited in- that saves money, too. Even some of the studio lighting (strobes) can be replaced with daylight-compact fluorescent lighting. We have been picking up some low-cost studio items from Amazon lately. We'll get more expensive stuff later- if this starts to pay for itself... If not, at least we can get some good shots of the twins as they grow up. gfxnews.ru and bitme have had a lot of books and videos on lighting. Just watching a few of them has taught me enough to spot my wife's "trouble spots" in this last shoot.

She has gotten all of her work from word of mouth. We are still doing a lot of color correcting (I've been up all night fixing underexposed shots in Photoshop :ermm: ), but the sessions themselves have been about $50 per hour. I know what she has to do to make things better for next time, so I think we can eliminate some of the touch-ups. Hopefully.

I will see what we can post. The pay jobs have all been portraits and a party, so that might be difficult. I should be able to find some in the next couple of days.

Zorg
09-26-2010, 09:24 AM
I have been shooting golf tournaments for 11 years now, was doing up to 8/year but since the economy took a crap all but 1 had to cancel their tournaments.
Photography is just one of the things I do for income, the other things I do are automotive repair, build and repair computers, and video production, as well as working with a local photographer doing onsite portrait printing. He shoots and I process and print the orders.

My equipment consists of the following:
Canon 40D with grip
Canon 28-70 f/2.8 L Lens
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 Lens

And since my brother and another friend of mine are into photography we all share equipment.
so between the 3 of us we have the following stuff to use for shoots.
2x 40D's with grips
Canon 5D
Canon 5DmkII
Canon 17-40 f/4 L Lens
Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L Lens
Canon 28-70 f/2.8 L Lens
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS L Lens
Canon 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 Lens
Canon 580EX and 580EX II
Alien Bee Strobe kit, 2x AB400 and an AB800, softbox, stands, and umbrellas

Zorg
09-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Here are a few more shots that I forgot to add to the previous post.

megabyteme
09-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks, zorg. Sorry to hear so many of your clients have canceled out on you.

It's fantastic that you have so many shared resources amongst you! Most of the items at your disposal are on my "sad face pressed against the store window" list. :) Some of the ~$350 Canon lenses for portraits, and the Alien Bees strobe kit are on my "near future" list.

Since my health has taken such a hit over the past 2-3 years, I have not been able to ride my 2005 Kawasaki ZZR-1200 motorcycle. Recent conversations with the wife have really started me thinking about selling it, and buying pro camera equipment. I would also be looking at building a 20X12X12' high dedicated portrait "studio" under my deck. I believe we could bring in some income shooting senior pics, babies, pets, etc. along with some on-location (non-wedding :no:) shoots. We have realized the potential at this point...

brightsid
09-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Have you tried micro stock agencies? I discovered them a few years back and if you manage to create a well organized gallery you can earn a few $$$.

For me it was the best way to finance the buying of new equipment every year. But I'm talking about my amateur needs

megabyteme
09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
That idea came to me just a couple days ago. I do plan to look into it, and already have some ideas. Unless this goes the way most of my other plans have, this could work! :P

iLOVENZB
09-30-2010, 02:37 AM
I don't see how you could make an regular stable income from photography. Unless you worked for a company like Pixie Photos.

I doubt you'd make much from those royalty free sites either.

megabyteme
09-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Geesh, I won't come to you for inspiration, NZB. :(

brightsid
09-30-2010, 08:34 AM
You wrong NZB. You can really make a lot of money if you are good. Yuri Arcurs, Cyril, Loreen, Bicher, Misha, Earlpiggot, szphoto and many more are photographers who are makin a few hundred $$$ per day.
When I was checking about these agencies they were talking about drop of their daily downloads. The numbers were from 1500 to 1000 download per day, per agency

Of cource they are paying for equipment, models etc. And you have to build and organize a portfolio and wait cause you're not going to have 1000 downloads from day 1. But still we are talking about something much more than a stable income.
Check this for example http://www.istockphoto.com/participate/contributor-lounge/trends and the links to the artists

Unfortunately I'm not that good :P

megabyteme
09-30-2010, 09:04 AM
We have already found the niche for senior pics. We undercharge, but the shooting time has been about $50 per hour. That's more that I know how to make elsewhere. I'm not even that good at sex, so gigolo gets ruled out, too. :P

I have said it here many times before- Do something that you enjoy, without the expectation of any other reward, and good things will come. This is one of those things that I won't regret "failing" in, if I sold my motorcycle and built a mini-studio that never returned a profit. My wife would enjoy it, too. How is that a loss?

iLOVENZB
09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
What I don't understand is how can you not be good at sex? Do you not know which hole to put it in? Even that doesn't matter since the Greeks invented anal :P.

Moving on, megabyteme I agree with your philosophy. Some of us don't have the cash to chase our dreams with the risk of it not being successful. My dream is to create a operating system and buy out the competition - no monopoly (sarcasm).

For the record megabyte me, some network admins charge in the hundreds for their services: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1536111

megabyteme
09-30-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm almost 39. I certainly understand not having ANY money. I've had a lot of tough years. Luckily, as you start to get older, some of the stuff that has been accumulated over the years can be sold. That is where I am now. And, since I am injured, I have limited options. I'm just "tough" enough to point and shoot a camera, then spruce it up a bit with Photoshop. :01:

As for dreams, I've had to give up on many of those along the way. I know now that I will never be able to run my own restaurant- way too physically demanding. :(