PDA

View Full Version : is there any way to upload for free?

jefffisher
09-23-2010, 06:04 PM
i already have basic usenet access through my isp it's not the best but does get the job done when i need something, however i don't have any uploading rights whatsoever.

is there anything out there that will help me or for the moment am i just stuck not uploading?

Monaco
09-23-2010, 07:07 PM
You should buy a very cheap block account at Astraweb or Blocknews. Usually uploading is unlimited on such accounts.

hdjunky
09-23-2010, 07:37 PM
You should buy a very cheap block account at Astraweb or Blocknews. Usually uploading is unlimited on such accounts.

This. All blocknews accounts have free posting and there lowest price account is like 3 or 5 bucks.

jefffisher
09-23-2010, 07:50 PM
thanks for the replies i did find a cheap account that i might consider.
$2.75 isn't all that much but paying to share is still not something i want to have to do unless there are absolutely no other choices.

JustDOSE
09-23-2010, 11:17 PM
thanks for the replies i did find a cheap account that i might consider.
$2.75 isn't all that much but paying to share is still not something i want to have to do unless there are absolutely no other choices.

seriously... :blink::blink: WTF... the reason you have to buy an account is so when you post spam you get banned from that particular newshost/resellers servers forever. If posting for free were possible usenet would be a wasteland just like p2p

jefffisher
09-24-2010, 12:09 AM
spammers might have $3, i do not.

JustDOSE
09-24-2010, 12:15 AM
You can get a $25 gift CC that works online from almost every store in the world these days. If not i guess your SOL.

You can post on some text servers for free

mjmacky
09-24-2010, 04:11 AM
spammers might have $3, i do not.

Wtf, how do you have the internet? It's $3 one time only, that's it (unless you actually start downloading and use up all your DL credit). A homeless man could bankroll your operation.

zot
09-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Every ISP that offers usenet should allow posting (but will disable it if they get a complaint). At least text posting, at a minimum. Have you talked to them, and what exactly did they say? (I'll assume you didn't reach that conclusion after trying to post to a group they don't carry) A little more explanation would be welcome.

I know that on a few usenet providers such as Newshosting, users had to specifically request posting priviliges, as this was not automatic. An ISP could possibly be set up the same way, but that would be weird.

Also, if you live in the USA, it could be risky to post copyrighted files through your ISP. For one thing, many ISPs inject your IP address in the header info field, and even if they don't, just being identified with an American ISP makes you stand out as an easy target. (and many ISPs in the US have been known to rat people out without even a court order) For comparison, a post made on Astraweb, for all anyone knows, could have been made by someone living in some far-off country like Pakistan or Turkey, putting that poster (even if identified) well out of the reach of the Hollywood copyright cops.

Regarding Blocknews, it seems that it might not allow posting on a very new account. I could read messages and download files immediately after getting a Blocknews account, but all posts (both text and binary) would fail. But then the next day, everything worked fine, and has ever since.

jefffisher
09-24-2010, 06:32 AM
school pays for the internet i am dead broke.

i do live in the USA, guess it's not a big deal i don't really need to share.

Disme
09-24-2010, 08:34 AM
If posting for free were possible usenet would be a wasteland just like p2p

That's a rather stupid statement since it is extremely vague and incorrect ...
What is P2P exactly ... e-mule, dc++, kazaa, limewire, Soulseek, torrents; private trackers or public trackers, etc ...

I'm in no way a P2P-fanboi since I also use newsgroups and DDL's next to torrents.

Every filesharing method has it's pro's and con's and just dismissing every P2P-method as crap and saying one method (USenet) is the one and only 'holy grail' is not very smart imo.

Monaco
09-24-2010, 03:21 PM
If you're really that broke and have something you believe is worth posting, I'm willing to help you out. I have a dormant Blocknews account you can use to upload. I would PM you the details, but I don't have the privilege yet. Perhaps you could post an anonymous email that I could send the info to, or maybe a mod will be willing to act as a messenger between us.

JustDOSE
09-24-2010, 05:32 PM
If posting for free were possible usenet would be a wasteland just like p2p

That's a rather stupid statement since it is extremely vague and incorrect ...
What is P2P exactly ... e-mule, dc++, kazaa, limewire, Soulseek, torrents; private trackers or public trackers, etc ...

I'm in no way a P2P-fanboi since I also use newsgroups and DDL's next to torrents.

Every filesharing method has it's pro's and con's and just dismissing every P2P-method as crap and saying one method (USenet) is the one and only 'holy grail' is not very smart imo.

dont troll, it makes you look stupid.:yup:

jefffisher
09-24-2010, 06:20 PM
If you're really that broke and have something you believe is worth posting, I'm willing to help you out. I have a dormant Blocknews account you can use to upload. I would PM you the details, but I don't have the privilege yet. Perhaps you could post an anonymous email that I could send the info to, or maybe a mod will be willing to act as a messenger between us.
thanks, i don't really have anything that special it's just that usenet is my preferred download method in most scenarios. it's not often but it does happen that i'll search for something to find it's not on usenet i just went from a few second search and a fast download. to really having to look who knows how long with slow speeds.

when that happens i'd like to be able to share the files on usenet so if anyone else wants it with a quick and easy download it wont be a problem.

so it's not that i really have anything important but i really would like the ability to share back. if i had something great i'd gladly borrow your account but i really just want to be able to upload what i have when it's not available.
unless it has like under a gig download left and you're sure you'll never use it again that is then i'd love to have it.

mjmacky
09-27-2010, 06:10 AM
I mean $3, I really can't avoid being an ass, but how is this not bothering anybody?!

Is this a lost Monty Python skit?

Rilly
10-03-2010, 04:28 AM
here... 2$.. i just saved you 33%!

http://usenet-news.net/index1.php?url=get

One time block - i've had mine since March /2009... one time fee of 2$ .. as long as you never use it to download or collect headers

jefffisher
10-03-2010, 04:44 AM
do they have any completion problems like anything you posted ever not uploaded properly?

zot
10-03-2010, 11:48 AM
I've used Usenet-news block accounts since 2005, and I think for most people it is probably about as good as any other provider for uploading.

These are a few factors that for me seem to increase the likelihood of getting incompletes:

Using a lot of connections
Using a wireless router
Using SSL
Using a particular non-compatible client (even though it might work fine on another server)

You might want to try posting a few samples to alt.binaries.test to make sure everything is working OK before you commit to a big release. I'd suggest waiting about 10 or 15 minutes to allow all the articles to show up as headers, before assuming that something is missing.

jefffisher
10-06-2010, 03:58 PM
i managed to get a $1 account at blocknews, uploaded about 10GB so far all perfectly i did notice something strange though "You Have Used 0.00113 GBs Of Your 1 GBs Purchased" the account has only ever been used with powerpost so i don't think i could have possibly used .00113 GBs as that program is upload only

JustDOSE
10-07-2010, 11:19 PM
so you can upload 100TB for 1$ is what you mean... try changing your firewall to allow only outgoing connections for that program you use to upload but i dont know if that will work, worth a try

pip99
10-09-2010, 04:39 AM
i managed to get a $1 account at blocknews, uploaded about 10GB so far all perfectly i did notice something strange though "You Have Used 0.00113 GBs Of Your 1 GBs Purchased" the account has only ever been used with powerpost so i don't think i could have possibly used .00113 GBs as that program is upload only

that's perfectly fine and to be expected , plus pretty simple to get your head around.

namely Usenet uses the NNTP protocol , and that uses TCP:IP ,to do its transfer, and so you ARE always Using some upload when you download , and you ARE always using some download bandwidth when you Upload data, generic TCP:IP sends so called ACK's to say acknowledge good transmission in the other direction as you send your data content.

for the record , the original P2p IS Usenet ;)
the P2p you think of today is just a modification of that client/server model with a DHT ( Distributed Hash Table) that came later, OC theres also been fully working open source P2p/DHT web servers made using generic apache2 server code and a few PHP P2p/DHT scripting bit's etc...

in effect everyone installs and run's this self contained web server package app locally somewhere ,and the internal P2p/DHT scripts and code makes the hashes for any changed/added local web page. message board or other generic server entries you might run inside that web server's entry's then send's that re-hashed data to the other web servers in the P2p/DHT cloud.

so all users to that site get all the updates in near real-time (while online and connected), but thats old school as there seems to be very little thought put into most web apps and how you might move data securely and anonymously these days without using payed for commercial services for Everything, and thats a shame.

remember and never forget classic Usenet used to be Free for all end users, you just run your own small Usenet server directly from your ISP given web side IP address or more likely today , through some anonymous tunnels.

such an old school local Usenet server app is the almost forgotten Classic Hamster news server http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Servers/E-mail-Servers/Classic-Hamster.shtml .

so the answer to the question above, what is P2p...., anything you want it to be as regards getting some form of data flow between two or more places as long as you write the supporting scripts and code to support its use.

jefffisher
10-09-2010, 05:12 AM
thanks pip i appreciate the actual response that makes a lot of sense everything all better now :)

JustDOSE
10-09-2010, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=jefffisher;3516497]
for the record , the original P2p IS Usenet ;)

BLASPHEMY!