PDA

View Full Version : Aussies can now drool (Pics inside)

iLOVENZB
09-28-2010, 03:44 AM
New NBN setup (FTTH):

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/skylinebob/NBN%20Tas%20Midway%20Point/

Not my setup.

krackt
02-20-2011, 01:46 AM
New NBN setup (FTTH):

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/skylinebob/NBN%20Tas%20Midway%20Point/

Not my setup.Here's some of the fiber infrastructure being rolled out in Melbourne now. Interesting and exciting... :drool:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59110820@N08/

Skiz
02-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Underground fiber cable doesn't mean anything unfortunately.

All of Austin is wired with fiber optic cable underground. The problem is, no one has fiber in their house. Even if they did, they would have to pay $300/month+ to get a connection that would make use of it.

Maybe your situation is different down there in Rooville. :idunno:

krackt
02-21-2011, 03:43 AM
The problem is, no one has fiber in their house.Fiber-to-the-premises is being rolled out here.:yup: The figures being quoting are 93% fiber coverage to all premises with the remaining 7% in regional and outback areas covered with wireless and satellite.

iLOVENZB
02-21-2011, 04:18 AM
I bet you're excited krakt?

All the ISP that are offering fibre still have outrageously low quotas. Hopefully competition will kick in soon.

Let's see if it gets rolled out here first ;).

tesco
02-21-2011, 06:46 PM
The problem is, no one has fiber in their house.Fiber-to-the-premises is being rolled out here.:yup: The figures being quoting are 93% fiber coverage to all premises with the remaining 7% in regional and outback areas covered with wireless and satellite.
When are they expected to be finished covering that 93%?

iLOVENZB
02-21-2011, 10:54 PM
It's going to take a while tesco, like a couple of decades. Knowing the current governments planning strategies more than a life time is a reality.

Vorx
02-22-2011, 01:59 AM
Im drooling right now...

krackt
02-22-2011, 04:57 AM
Fiber-to-the-premises is being rolled out here.:yup: The figures being quoting are 93% fiber coverage to all premises with the remaining 7% in regional and outback areas covered with wireless and satellite.
When are they expected to be finished covering that 93%?8 years (2010 - 2018) is the expected completion time. The map on this website (http://www.computerworld.com.au/nbn/) gives a good indication of progress to date. $120M of satellite spectrum has already been purchased, so things seem to be moving along.

We also have opposition politicians who would rather spend this money in their electorates and are hellbent on scrapping the project. Hopefully it's too late for them, but who knows?

Cabalo
02-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Luckily, here, our ISPs bring the Fiber cable right up to your gateway inside home. I have Fiber optics cabling around my house all the way to my living room where the main gateway is placed.
And here I was thinking my country didn't make anything good.

iLOVENZB
02-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Still no plans of installation here judging from that map. Funny because 30 minutes up the road is Australia's biggest tourist destination.

Looks like Government departments and surrounding areas get first pick then they work towards other areas. Funny, because the whole point of this scheme was to give residents in remote communities communication for better living standards.

I remember one point the stuck up bitch of a Government suggesting was "it will improve video conferencing for GP's so patients won't have to leave their home". What a stupid idea - what if the patient has a rectum disease, what's the patient supposed to do - tease apart his anus so the GP can have a good look on his 1080p HD 3D enabled monitor?

I had to go to a court case where there was a video conference between a client in jail and the court, I'm sure he's going to be very happy with his face being clearer and there's no stuttering between the feed.

There's so many flaws in the Government proposal it's just hilarious. It's pretty obvious the current Government and the opposition know nothing and are just told what to say but at least the opposition admits it. You should of heard her on QnA a while back, she couldn't pronounce any of the terminology and it was pretty obvious the whole thing was a setup.

Why anyone would even attempt to bring the topic up about a fibre network (costing x amount of billion of dollars) during a recession is beyond me.

How the fuck did Gillard and Stephen Conroy get back into politics :blink:.

krackt
02-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Still no plans of installation here judging from that map. Funny because 30 minutes up the road is Australia's biggest tourist destination.

Looks like Government departments and surrounding areas get first pick then they work towards other areas. Funny, because the whole point of this scheme was to give residents in remote communities communication for better living standards.

There's so many flaws in the Government proposal it's just hilarious. It's pretty obvious the current Government and the opposition know nothing and are just told what to say but at least the opposition admits it. You should of heard her on QnA a while back, she couldn't pronounce any of the terminology and it was pretty obvious the whole thing was a setup.

Why anyone would even attempt to bring the topic up about a fibre network (costing x amount of billion of dollars) during a recession is beyond me.

How the fuck did Gillard and Stephen Conroy get back into politics :blink:.You must be near Ayers Rock or the Barrier Reef :) and I agree it's hard to understand how the rollout locations were determined.

To be fair Gillard shouldn't need to know the nitty gritty tech speak; that's up to her minister imo. And we're not in recession, we've had only one quarter of negative GDP since the GFC began. The experts reckon our economy is performing reasonably well.

So you'd prefer Abbott and Smith? fair enough, but we'll remain a broadband backwater if left up to them. I like the idea of investment in "future proofing" our technology.

iLOVENZB
02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
As I said I live 30 minutes away from Australia's largest tourist destination (Byron Bay).

Australian politics is a joke; after you own or manage a business, especially a small one, you really start to develop a strong distaste for ALP. Some of their proposals are just outrageous, they either bend over backwards for the Unions or just throw money at people.

The NBN project was announced (http://www.nbnco.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/main/site-base/resources/about-nbn-co/history-of-nbnco/) very well near when the great minds in Wall Street fucked up. I don't need an expert to try and convince me that Australia's economy is back on track. At work (bakery) we used to do well near 50 bags a day now we do about 20-30 a day.

Abbott? Yeah right. The trouble with him is he's too honest. Maybe I'm just bitter because we always get left behind compared to the residents in Sydney/Canberra area.

Does the Gillard government even take into consideration about the future? Broadband would be considered when we were on dial up now fibre is being considered while where on broadband. Once this gets rolled out and is (hopefully) fully operational I bet Japan would of invented a new technology where Gigabit speeds is a reality.

I find it scary how people knock Abott's proposal on wireless when we'll probably get lumped with this service here.

At the moment we need higher quotas not speeds. All we're doing is using our quotas faster. What about the average family who uses 1gb a month, are they going to want to finance their home connection? - Probably not. People really shouldn't take advice on filesharers or hosters who will probably use 1tb/mo of quota if they were offered it.

I'm not taking a jab at your views. Just find it frustrating that there are more important issues at the moment. How exactly is this going to help retail stores who are suffering due to competition from stores overseas who can offer goods well under RRP here? That's the governments fault right there; wages have gone up and we're now working less for more and complain when we do a hard days work.

You really think that Australian businesses can manufacture a product and still offer it cheaper than goods manufactured overseas? Looks at countries like China, Hong Kong, Taiwan. They get paid peanuts and can still survive because goods/services are cheap.

Import duty tax is another great money grab that raises prices - Look at prices for Mac in the US compared to here.

tesco
02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Luckily, here, our ISPs bring the Fiber cable right up to your gateway inside home. I have Fiber optics cabling around my house all the way to my living room where the main gateway is placed.
And here I am stuck with a 95gb cap, which they are trying to bump down to 80gb which all the new customers gets. :no:

Vorx
02-25-2011, 11:49 AM

no need for a seedbox theen...