PDA

View Full Version : Movie Sequels

SelfMadeMMAn
10-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I know there are more, a friend of mine asked what movies had sequels had different main [or semi main] characters. He just got around to watching Lost Boys: The Tribe. The first and third had both Frog brothers, while the second only has Edgar Frog. Neither the third does not even have a cameo from Sam [Feldman].
The Punisher series did it too. The first has Thomas Jane as Frank Castle, and the second has Ray Stevenson as Frank Castle. Don't even get me started on the fast and furious series. What others showcase different main [and no cameos] of the characters that shaped the firrst.

IdolEyes787
10-16-2010, 10:24 PM
The Crow.One I just watched 30 Days of Night ,Terminator 3 with the grown up John Connor, Jack Ryan series Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford , Ben Affleck .Pink Panther - Peter Sellers and Steve Martin.Dumb and Dumber.
DumbleDore first played by the late Richard Harris now Michael Gabon.

chalice
10-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Robocop 2. Fact.

3 was wank, granted, but 2 was utterly fantastic. I re-watched it recently and while the effects stutter somewhat, overall it enriches the universe to the max.

Also, Godfather 2 beats the fuck outta the original.

IdolEyes787
10-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Robocop 2. Fact.

3 was wank, granted, but 2 was utterly fantastic. I re-watched it recently and while the effects stutter somewhat, overall it enriches the universe to the max.

It was no Buckaroo Banzai .:no:

chalice
10-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Robocop 2. Fact.

It was no Buckaroo Banzai .:no:

I'll buy that for a dawler.

It had a ten year old megalomaniac kid whose last words were 'life sucks'.

What more do you want? Apart from plot, character development, resolution and all that pish?

And robots, ffs.

IdolEyes787
10-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Back in 1990 Robocop 2 came out. It wasn’t a very good movie, and it was all the more disappointing for the fact that the credited screenwriter was comic book legend Frank Miller. Miller complained that his script hadn’t actually been used, and it was pretty obvious if you saw the movie that he was telling the truth. Other than a 10-year-old drug kingpin and a line about how all that was left of the real Murphy was a couple of chunks on the coroner’s table, the movie didn’t resemble Miller’s writing at all. Miller also got a credit on Robocop 3 (1993), though I don’t think he did any active work on that movie at all.

http://www.stomptokyo.com/scott/blog/C4482399/E20060427223748/Media/FreeSnap003.jpg

We finally got an idea of what Frank Miller intended Robocop 2 to be last year when Avatar Press released the first issue of Frank Miller’s Robocop, an adaptation of Miller’s script by Steven Grant and Juan Jose Ryp. It’s safe to assume that this 9 issue series is close to what Miller intended both by the style and that Miller endorsed the series enough to provide alternate covers.

In outline the plot is almost identical as Robocop 2. When OCP decides Robocop is becoming a liability because of an overdeveloped sense of social justice the company cripples the cyborg by adding a gazillion new directives to his programming. Meanwhile a new Robocop is prepared, this one with more weaponry and what is intended to be a more obedient personality.

Perhaps the single biggest addition to the comic book is an entire subplot about the police being on strike and OCP bringing in a force of military mercenaries to provide security for the Delta City project. Mostly this gives Lewis (Nancy Allen’s character) something to do, because things get violent and Lewis leads the fight against the mercenaries. These scenes are probably also responsible for Miller’s credit on Robocop 3, because there are some similar scenes in that movie.

http://www.stomptokyo.com/scott/blog/C4482399/E20060427223748/Media/FreeSnap004.jpg

Another difference between the movie and the comic book is the identity of Robocop 2. In the movie it was a drug dealer who it was theorized could be controlled through his addiction to the new drug “Nuke.” His being chosen for the job was mostly the decision of an OCP psychologist, who it was implied was in love with the drug kingpin in some sick way. In the comic book it’s one of the mercenaries who becomes Robocop 2 (at least for a while), while the equivalent psychologist character is a pop psychologist who is never given any motive for why she hates Robocop. She hates him so much, in fact, that she transfers her personality into Robocop 2. That, plus the fact that she dresses like a high class hooker but pointedly spurns male attention, makes her one of the most flamboyantly misogynist characters I’ve seen in fiction recently. I’m not sure if that’s the way she came across in the original script, or just the comic. Without Miller’s original script in front of me it is hard to say which is more likely. On one hand Miller’s Angel/Whore complex is well documented, mostly by Miller himself. On the other hand Avatar Press isn’t generally known for its positive portrayals of women, in much the same way that Saudi Arabia isn’t generally known for its delicious pork products.I actually remember very little of either Robocop 1 or 2 other than the first one had more humanity to it in a weird Paul Verhoeven sort of way and consequently more pathos.It, also being the first ,was a lot less predictable.

Anyway now you've piqued my curiosity so I'm going to download the first 2 movies and the comics as well so that I'm not just talking out of my ass.

chalice
10-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Good man. You knows it makes sense.

Also, Frank Miller is a fucking sell-out cunt. But we knew this already.

How dare he yap about scripts that've been danced on repeatedly forever.

From my memory, going on the somewhat limited success of Watchmen and The Dark Knight to a lesser extent, Miller was offered script-writing duties for a large number of Hollywood ventures.

Very little have worked, with the notable exception of Sin City, of course.

I'm kinda glad about that, to be honest. I never really rated him as a comic artist, Dark Knight Returns included, and I always thought there were more pertinent things going on within comics that he didn't have anything to do with. He was visceral and potent, but that's about the extent of it. He re-envisaged characters that might've been done better had better writers been given the opportunity, like.

Plus, he's got the bad aids.

Apart from all that, he rocks.

IdolEyes787
10-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Good man. You knows it makes sense.

Also, Frank Miller is a fucking sell-out cunt. But we knew this already.

How dare he yap about scripts that've been danced on repeatedly forever.

From my memory, going on the somewhat limited success of Watchmen and The Dark Knight to a lesser extent, Miller was offered script-writing duties for a large number of Hollywood ventures.

Very little have worked, with the notable exception of Sin City, of course.

I'm kinda glad about that, to be honest. I never really rated him as a comic artist, Dark Knight Returns included, and I always thought there were more pertinent things going on within comics that he didn't have anything to do with. He was visceral and potent, but that's about the extent of it. He re-envisaged characters that might've been done better had better writers been given the opportunity, like.

Plus, he's got the bad aids.

Apart from all that, he rocks.

I'd consider Frank Miller to be over-rated if I thought anyone actually rated him highly.

Anyway I trudged through the comics ( not to be confused with an apparent DC series ) and as far as I can tell, except for a lot of overtly sexist images of women , the comics play out pretty much the same as the movies.Right down to the fake commercials.

Not that I'm knocking the books Frank Frazetta -esque females btw . Would that Nancy Allen looked so good.

I've also managed to view,
Robocop 2

I found it to be more in style similar to John Carpenter's ( or more rightly Nick Castle's contributions to ) Escape from New York than Verhoeven's ( or Miller's) mock seriousness.
That's obviously not entirely a bad thing depending on exactly where your head is at (hated Starship Troopers).

Anyway I still have to get through the original Robocop again which I will just as soon as I feel like wasting another 2 hours of my life .