PDA

View Full Version : Opera 7.22 Is Out

sharedholder
11-05-2003, 10:01 PM
" Opera is known as the fastest and smallest full-featured browser, a first choice for people using older PCs and Windows 95 and a brilliant alternative to the default IE from Microsoft.

This new version has a chance to actually beat IE hands-down because it has a truckload of new and exciting features. It complies to all the current web-page standards, it has a completely new interface (you can choose from single window and multi-window view), built-in search, a download manager, an ICQ client (!!!!!), an advanced mail/news reader, print preview, a huge bookmark collection and much more in a 2Mb free package!

Well, the free package also includes banner ads, but Opera is believed to be completely free of spyware, unlike some of its competitors. It’s lightning fast as well as stable and it looks gorgeous. It’s simply perfect! For a complete list of features check out the official website, there’s vastly more to discover."

Opera for Windows with Java 7.22 (http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/10/1/10-1-3.shtml)

Opera for Windows without Java 7.22 (http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/10/1/10-1-2.shtml)

zacspeed
11-05-2003, 10:41 PM
I :wub: Opera!
I could NEVER go back to IE now!
Just the fact you can skin it is such a bonus, considering you spend sooooo much time looking @ it! & the mouse gestures are a nice touch too.
Z

LTJBukem
11-05-2003, 10:52 PM
I prefer Mozilla Firebird to Opera by far. I advise everyone to try it out, it's great.

ps. Sorry sharedholder for interrupting your Opera thread. :) I often appreciate your tech article 'heads up'; on this occasion though i wanted to spread the word about Mozilla. ;)

SniperInTheShadows
11-05-2003, 10:55 PM
Hi shareholder :-)

Thank's for the info on this, but do you know if this is a beta build as it's not on the official Opera website yet.

Also, any idea if they've sorted the Java problem out that's returned since version 7.20? (every other version there's a problem with the Java installer for some, me included, people using XP where it install's so far then stop's and won't finish)

Sniper.

sharedholder
11-05-2003, 10:57 PM
Strange shit ,is not on Opera site yet.Wtf :blink: :blink:

http://www.uploadit.org/files2/051103-operashred.jpg

Icebound
11-05-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@5 November 2003 - 16:52
I prefer Mozilla Firebird to Opera by far. I advise everyone to try it out, it's great.

ps. Sorry sharedholder for interrupting your Opera thread. :) I often appreciate your tech article 'heads up'; on this occasion though i wanted to spread the word about Mozilla. ;)
u r a minority

the-ninja69
11-06-2003, 12:00 AM
MyIE2 kicks all there asses B) .

asmithz
11-06-2003, 04:29 AM
Thanks again always SH.

I think its not on the web site becuase it is a beta. :blink:

Schuler
11-06-2003, 04:52 AM
MyIE2 is built off of IE's engine if I'm not mistaken. I like Opera the best, and only stray from it if a page doesn't like loading on it. In that case I have IE, but I also have Avant, which is similar to MyIE2. Props to opera!

Supernatural
11-06-2003, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the heads up sharedholder.

Firebird is fast, but not very stable. Opera is rock solid. Plus the tabbed browsing is sketchy at best with Firebird. Nothing comes close to Opera's tabbed browsing. It's just so much more productive than any other browser out there.

dingoBaby
11-06-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by sharedholder@5 November 2003 - 17:57
Strange shit ,is not on Opera site yet.Wtf :blink: :blink:

Its not official yet. Opera Forum (http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=35956)

LTJBukem
11-06-2003, 09:31 AM
I disagree strongly that Firebird is not stable. Personally, i have not had any problems with it at all, and it has been very well received by the media and tech sites. While it is of course a matter of opinion which is best, i do recommend that people at least try Firebird out.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/why/

:)

MUSLEMAN
11-06-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@6 November 2003 - 05:31
I disagree strongly that Firebird is not stable. Personally, i have not had any problems with it at all, and it has been very well received by the media and tech sites. While it is of course a matter of opinion which is best, i do recommend that people at least try Firebird out.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/why/

firebird is very good also but i like opera imo they are both very good and its a matter of choise, myie2 was great also but not stable at all

thx sh :lol:

add to the list operaholder :lol:

Wizzandabe
11-06-2003, 09:36 AM
IE6 is my one :D

Illuminati
11-06-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Icebound+5 November 2003 - 23:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Icebound @ 5 November 2003 - 23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LTJBukem@5 November 2003 - 16:52
I prefer Mozilla Firebird to Opera by far. I advise everyone to try it out, it&#39;s great.

ps. Sorry sharedholder for interrupting your Opera thread. :)&nbsp; I often appreciate your tech article &#39;heads up&#39;; on this occasion though i wanted to spread the word about Mozilla.&nbsp; ;)
u r a minority [/b][/quote]
No he isn&#39;t - I use Firebird myself. Mozilla Foundation&#39;s eMail client (Thunderbird) is a bit sketchy but Firebird is great for pure browsing (bit of a problem when it comes to some dynamic forms and web UIs, but I think that&#39;s mainly because they&#39;re built for IE <_<)

Maybe we should have a poll for what browser K-Lite members use? :lol:

Supernatural
11-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Illuminati+6 November 2003 - 04:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Illuminati @ 6 November 2003 - 04:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Icebound@5 November 2003 - 23:57
<!--QuoteBegin-LTJBukem@5 November 2003 - 16:52
I prefer Mozilla Firebird to Opera by far. I advise everyone to try it out, it&#39;s great.

ps. Sorry sharedholder for interrupting your Opera thread. :) I often appreciate your tech article &#39;heads up&#39;; on this occasion though i wanted to spread the word about Mozilla.&nbsp; ;)
u r a minority
No he isn&#39;t... [/b][/quote]
Yes he is&#33; IE is the most widely used web browser by far. It&#39;s a well known fact that no one can deny. I myself use Opera the most, but I also use Firebird sometimes. IE6 comes in handy as well. Everyone has their own preference. Why try to force that on others?

LTJBukem
11-06-2003, 01:01 PM
:lol:

Erm..... Who&#39;s forcing anyone to do anything? Show me a quote.:blink:

Are you having a bad day today?:(

Originally posted by mr+ngry --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mr &#064; ngry )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Yes he is&#33; IE is the most widely used web browser by far[/b]
Clearly, the comparison is between Opera and Mozilla:-
<!--QuoteBegin-me@yesterday
I prefer Mozilla Firebird to Opera by far[/quote]
Nobody mentioned IE. Yeah sure, something like 90% of people use IE, but that doesn&#39;t make IE the best browser. There may well be more Opera users than Mozilla, or vice versa, i don&#39;t know. Again, that fact alone doesn&#39;t make one better than the other, now does it?

All i was trying to do was make a recommendation. All Illuminati was saying is that you cannot state that there are more Opera users than Firebird; how could you know?

Now, please, chill out. :P

As MUSLEMAN said. "its a matter of choise" (sic :P)

Marius24
11-06-2003, 04:36 PM
i agree LTJBukem. IE is the used to most purely because it comes as part of the windows package and many homeuser have never even heard of these other browesers. Over the years i have tried all of the popular browsers but seeing as how i have used IE browser since i have had my pc it has become easy for me to use and it is difficult for me to switch because im so use to the IE brwser. which one is best depends on your needs, i dont need any of that fancy crap so i stick with IE :P

Just my opinion though :D

LTJBukem
11-06-2003, 04:58 PM
@Marius24

I totally know what you&#39;re saying, but would you do me a favour and try Firebird. It doesn&#39;t suffer with all the clutter of Opera and regular Mozilla&#39;s browser, rather it is just a browser, and a very good one at that. If you were to want want other features, you can download them from their site.

Once Firebird is installed (which is simply a case of unzipping a file), you really won&#39;t notice any difference, apart from a slight increase in browsing speed and, best of all, you&#39;ll not be vulnerable to the security issues associated with IE.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

If you don&#39;t like it, you can just delete the installation folder as no registry entries are created.

Kunal
11-06-2003, 05:05 PM
Firebird rules...

LTJBukem
11-06-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Kunal@6 November 2003 - 17:05
Firebird rules...
Right on brother&#33; :lol:

I was starting to feel quite lonely :(

:lol:

Kunal
11-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem+6 November 2003 - 17:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LTJBukem @ 6 November 2003 - 17:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kunal@6 November 2003 - 17:05
Firebird rules...
Right on brother&#33; :lol:

I was starting to feel quite lonely :(

:lol: [/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol:

seems we like much of the same stuff, im rather scared :unsure: :lol:

Marius24
11-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@6 November 2003 - 15:58
@Marius24

I totally know what you&#39;re saying, but would you do me a favour and try Firebird. It doesn&#39;t suffer with all the clutter of Opera and regular Mozilla&#39;s browser, rather it is just a browser, and a very good one at that. If you were to want want other features, you can download them from their site.

Once Firebird is installed (which is simply a case of unzipping a file), you really won&#39;t notice any difference, apart from a slight increase in browsing speed and, best of all, you&#39;ll not be vulnerable to the security issues associated with IE.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

If you don&#39;t like it, you can just delete the installation folder as no registry entries are created.

i actually tried firebird b4 my pc screwed up (wasnt due to firebird) and i like it ALOT the only thing i didnt like was i couldnt get shockwave to work with it so i went i started using IE again, i might try firebird soon cos i was and is a very good program

also im not sure if u can use iFrame with firebird (could be wrong) :huh:

Icebound
11-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Maybe we should have a poll for what browser K-Lite members use? :lol:
i think that&#39;s great. i&#39;ve always loved opera the most, but mozilla is still way better than ie :x

dingoBaby
11-06-2003, 07:24 PM
I am trying out Firebird right now. I am a big Opera fan but this seems pretty good. I didn&#39;t like that fact that I had to install a plugin for mouse gestures.

LTJBukem
11-06-2003, 08:31 PM
@Marius24
Shockwave is working fine for me, don&#39;t know about iFrame though.

@dingobaby.
I&#39;m glad you&#39;re liking Firebird so far. :)

Only the &#39;barebones&#39; browser is included by default, with various additional plug ins available from the website. I think this is a good idea, allowing the user to decide what to download and install, and what not to bother with. Me personally, i just want a basic browser, but everyone&#39;s different.

Kunal
11-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@6 November 2003 - 20:31
Me personally, i just want a basic browser
me to&#33; (we like way to much of the same things ) :o

LTJBukem
11-06-2003, 09:10 PM
:o

Stop now please. You&#39;re scaring me.... :o

:P :lol:

Kunal
11-06-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@6 November 2003 - 21:10
:o

Stop now please. You&#39;re scaring me.... :o

:P :lol:
you scared me first, so i had to share the scariness :lol: :lol: :lol:

Illuminati
11-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by dingoBaby@6 November 2003 - 20:24
I am trying out Firebird right now. I am a big Opera fan but this seems pretty good. I didn&#39;t like that fact that I had to install a plugin for mouse gestures.

Only the &#39;barebones&#39; browser is included by default, with various additional plug ins available from the website. I think this is a good idea, allowing the user to decide what to download and install, and what not to bother with. Me personally, i just want a basic browser, but everyone&#39;s different.

Pretty much what I was going to say :)

With IE and Opera, you get features included whether you want them or not. With Firebird, you originally get the bare basics - A no-frills web browser. You get what you want then later from the components page.

It&#39;s a nice idea IMO; you don&#39;t get stuff you don&#39;t want in the first place and you don&#39;t download said stuff either. Only problem I could see is for those who can&#39;t keep a connection up long to download all that&#39;s wanted; it&#39;s a problem but I don&#39;t know any distribution method that can satisfy all of the above anyway :( (Though Firebird goes as close as I want anyway :D)

Supernatural
11-06-2003, 09:59 PM
Look at the download Size of Opera vs. Firebird. 2MB vs. 6MB. What exactly is all the "extra crap" that you are talking about? Opera is certainly full featured, but I wouldn&#39;t call it cluttured. The ENTIRE interface is drag and drop. You can have 2 buttons or 20 buttons... No toolbars or 15 toolbars. Plus you dont have to reinstall all the extensions after updating. They are included, and ready for use when you want it.

Don&#39;t think I dislike Firebird, because I LOVE Firebird. It&#39;s very quick. But Opera is just a better all around browser for me.

LTJBukem
11-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Supernatural@6 November 2003 - 21:59
Look at the download Size of Opera vs. Firebird. 2MB vs. 6MB. What exactly is all the "extra crap" that you are talking about? Opera is certainly full featured, but I wouldn&#39;t call it cluttured. The ENTIRE interface is drag and drop. You can have 2 buttons or 20 buttons... No toolbars or 15 toolbars. Plus you dont have to reinstall all the extensions after updating. They are included, and ready for use when you want it.

Don&#39;t think I dislike Firebird, because I LOVE Firebird. It&#39;s very quick. But Opera is just a better all around browser for me.
There you go again, who said "extra crap" was included in Opera? You&#39;re misquoting again.:P

Seriously though my friend, i do agree that Opera is a great browser; never said it wasn&#39;t. All i wanted to do is pass on my recommendation. Each to their own i say.

Supernatural
11-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@6 November 2003 - 11:58
...all the clutter of Opera...
<_<

LTJBukem
11-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Oh grow up you prat. <_<

Yes, i do find Opera cluttered, but i never labelled it the "extra crap" you had previously quoted me as saying.

You seriously need to lighten up.

Icebound
11-07-2003, 02:24 PM
i found a link for it&#33;

this link is ok as u have to have a serial for it or it won&#39;t be registered. pls don&#39;t delete my posts anymore. this is the same thing opera would have on their site if they would, u know, just put it on their site.

http://mirrors.pmmf.hu/mirror/opera/win/72...ow32enen722.exe (http://mirrors.pmmf.hu/mirror/opera/win/722/en/std/ow32enen722.exe)

enjoy :D