PDA

View Full Version : Scratched Cd's

idontbelieveit
11-05-2003, 10:22 PM
I'm trying to rip my Cd's using EAC / Lame method at alt preset insane (I dont mind the waste). My problem is that I have access to other CD's, which sometimes are in poor condition. Because of this, and having the software set to high quality for all settings, I'm getting too many aborted tracks. How do I get over this problem when ripping thede CD's, change the settings, to what?

Adster
11-05-2003, 10:58 PM
take it too a place to get it de scratch with a laser I guess :huh:

happens to me sometimes too even when the disk looks ok

Evil Gemini
11-05-2003, 11:06 PM
I read in a pc magazine that the best way to rip scratched music cd's was with Nero 5.5. at a very low speed.

I havent tried it though.

sparsely
11-06-2003, 12:29 AM
get one of those Disc Dr.'s.
They're like 30$. They can repair damn near anything.

Adster
11-06-2003, 07:08 AM
WTD since when does nero rip CDs :huh:

Jayhawk
11-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@5 November 2003 - 18:29
get one of those Disc Dr.'s.
They're like 30$. They can repair damn near anything.
they work nicely

Spider_dude
11-06-2003, 03:38 PM
use toothpaste to fix it.

Jayhawk
11-06-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@6 November 2003 - 09:38
:huh: :unsure:

Damnatory
11-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@6 November 2003 - 16:38
NO WAY&#33; <_< <_< <_<

Toothpaste has small crystals of stuff (not sure what) but tends to scratch the CD moreso.

If you really want to remove any scratches, I have actually had quite a bit of luck with Turtle Wax, and those Skip Dr.&#39;s work well.

Though the best way I have found to remove scratches, is to make a copy of the CD using Nero. It doesn&#39;t even matter what speed you use, I suppose the slower the better, but I have "repaired" completly destroyed CD&#39;s in this fashion.

I the end I
11-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@6 November 2003 - 15:38
He&#39;s actually got the idea. Works everytime for me. Changes an unplayble cd into one that doesn&#39;t skip once. No joke.

soma
11-06-2003, 11:16 PM
toothpaste my @ss, i just tried and it made it worse :angry: ...how do u use nero to rip a cd...oh nevermind u said to make a copy, my bad...

sparsely
11-07-2003, 12:26 AM
I&#39;d like to know exactly how making a copy of the disc fixes the original. or how you would make a copy of a disc too scratched to read.

MediaSlayer
11-07-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by soma@6 November 2003 - 23:16
toothpaste my @ss, i just tried and it made it worse :angry:
hehe poor soma that&#39;ll teach him to listen to advice from strangers :lol:

Jayhawk
11-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by MediaSlayer+6 November 2003 - 20:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MediaSlayer @ 6 November 2003 - 20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-soma@6 November 2003 - 23:16
toothpaste my @ss, i just tried and it made it worse&nbsp; :angry:
hehe poor soma that&#39;ll teach him to listen to advice from strangers :lol: [/b][/quote]
:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

Damnatory
11-07-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@7 November 2003 - 01:26
I&#39;d like to know exactly how making a copy of the disc fixes the original. or how you would make a copy of a disc too scratched to read.
Maybe not the Insanly scratched ones, but lets face it, if you knife your CD&#39;s your fucked anyway... :lol:

The fact of the matter is, most CD-Roms and DVD-roms tend to read CD&#39;s alot better than a piece of crap walkman. Since the CD-Rom is able to read the data more clearly, the end result is a new, less scratched CD.

MediaSlayer
11-07-2003, 06:51 AM
why not use eac to rip wav&#39;s and then make an audio cd from that? for very badly scratched cd&#39;s that is probably the best way :ph34r:

idontbelieveit
11-07-2003, 04:46 PM
We&#39;re back to where we started. As I said I am trying to rip some badly worn (borrowed) CD&#39;s using EAC. The trouble is unlike ripping them straight into Media Player (which is the easier option) I have been trying the much publisised quality method ie. EAC / Lame. On these scratched CD&#39;s the ripping aborts on certain tracks, leaving me to rip them using less critical software (XP MP for example). My question originally was can I configure EAC to be less critical if I can see the CD may prove a problem.
I have taken on board suggestions you guys have made - toothpaste, emery paper and wire wool (I made that one up) but would prefer the software method if possible.
I must say these forums can give you a laugh (I refer to the poor sap who tried the toothpaste. Still rather him than me, after all I&#39;ve got to hand these CD&#39;s back in one piece. Any suggestions on config for EAC?

Mad Cat
11-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@6 November 2003 - 15:38
It does work, also works for gameboy screens.

nicelydone101
11-07-2003, 08:46 PM
There is even a rumor that Mayonaise works (not salad dressing), But I use EAC and never had an abortion...lol. EAC I believe is designed to read a particular spot on any cd upto 84 times if I am not mistaken, so it may take a maximum of 84 times the length of a song if the whole thing is damaged. My error recovery quality is set on low, and I have ripped some pretty damaged disc&#39;s. That option is under EAC~~>EAC Options~~>Extraction. Also if you want it to stop aborting make sure none of the "skip track"options are checked. It&#39;s possible none of that helps, if not sorry...

*Edit - Also if unchecking the "skip track" it might be a good idea to check the "After each (60) mins of extraction, cool down the drive for (15) mins" box, as it may cause the cd/rom to get over bearingly hot.

sparsely
11-08-2003, 12:20 AM
yes. in EAC you can turn off the Secure Mode features for your scratched CDs.
At the Menu bar, go to EAC > Drive Options and chage the Extraction Method from Secure Mode to Synchronized Mode.

You can also adjust the level of Error Correction on the EAC > EAC Options > Extraction tab (Error Recover Quality).

darkewolf
11-09-2003, 09:50 AM
www.webattack.com has some file recovery progs that are supposed to be good at ripping files that are badly compromised by scratches, from CD&#39;s. Don&#39;t ask me if they work or not, cause I keep my disks in good shape :P
Some of the used music stores out there, can also do doctoring on a disk, not sure what they charge to do it tho

MediaSlayer
11-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by idontbelieveit@7 November 2003 - 16:46
We&#39;re back to where we started. As I said I am trying to rip some badly worn (borrowed) CD&#39;s using EAC. The trouble is unlike ripping them straight into Media Player (which is the easier option) I have been trying the much publisised quality method ie. EAC / Lame. On these scratched CD&#39;s the ripping aborts on certain tracks, leaving me to rip them using less critical software (XP MP for example). My question originally was can I configure EAC to be less critical if I can see the CD may prove a problem.
I have taken on board suggestions you guys have made - toothpaste, emery paper and wire wool (I made that one up) but would prefer the software method if possible.
I must say these forums can give you a laugh (I refer to the poor sap who tried the toothpaste. Still rather him than me, after all I&#39;ve got to hand these CD&#39;s back in one piece. Any suggestions on config for EAC?
something is wrong if another program besides EAC is doing a better job of ripping than EAC. There are lots of options you can set up. Slow down the overall speed of the drive, and also you can rip all the non-scratched sections first, then go back and try for the other sections that are harder to rip. Here is how you skip a track>EAC>EAC Options>Extraction>Skip track extraction...... Anyway I haven&#39;t had to use this program yet, as I&#39;ve not had the problems you&#39;re having even with scratched cd&#39;s. Maybe someone else can review and add some more advice? Hope it helps.

Spider_dude
11-09-2003, 06:50 PM
my advice is to download the album, if the cd is too fucked. i mean if you bought the origional it&#39;d be legal as you are allowed to own a back up copy of any legally purchased cd.

darkewolf
11-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@9 November 2003 - 18:50
my advice is to download the album, if the cd is too fucked. i mean if you bought the origional it&#39;d be legal as you are allowed to own a back up copy of any legally purchased cd.
good point *thumbs up*