PDA

View Full Version : 1GBit seedbox for 9 euros? Possible?

Prio
10-26-2010, 05:59 PM
http://store.seedbox.cc/en/seedbox/classic-1/classic-seedbox-100g-1gbps-15-transfers.html?SID=58d79f90b650c34de06aca9dbb298397

For only 9 euros.. 1 GBit speeds, 100 GB HDD. Is it possible or this is some kind of way "stealing" money? :D

seedhost-net
10-26-2010, 09:29 PM
It is possible that the Switch port will be 1gbit, however by putting 9euro slots they need to put ~15 people to make a little profit and then your speeds will be more like 20-30mbit, however still not a bad deal for 9euro.

mamado
10-27-2010, 07:57 PM
by putting many peaoples, they can...
seedbox.cc is the some seedbox.fr ?

seedhost-net
10-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Putting 12 people per disk is suicide mission, good luck with that :)

you can research seedbox.cc being dodgy, either this forum or google.

but, it is possible, however yea there would be more like 40 people. having said that, we will soon perhaps release our own, with 12 people per disk (roughly 80GB space probably), for the same price, but it will no doubt perform much better than this, since the server used is really kick ass.

iBulldozer
10-27-2010, 10:43 PM
This is shared server. If you have your own server, you'll be able to download 10-100 times more within the same time frame.

Thelen
10-27-2010, 11:20 PM
seedbox.cc is seedbox.fr yea.

seedhost-net, yea I know 12 per disk, but for 9 euro it will be better than this or others, it all comes down to managing it properly. For one thing, 4 disks is a lot faster than 2, you can easily support more than double the users (I won't say why or how, business secret :P). But yes, it will be made clear people can't and won't get 50MB/s for themselves. But, they will get probably 10MB/s down and 5 up, which is comparable to a 100mbit shared with only a couple people, but far cheaper (less disk space obviously). Anyway we'll see how it goes :D

executioner
10-28-2010, 11:02 AM
seedbox.cc is seedbox.fr yea.

seedhost-net, yea I know 12 per disk, but for 9 euro it will be better than this or others, it all comes down to managing it properly. For one thing, 4 disks is a lot faster than 2, you can easily support more than double the users (I won't say why or how, business secret :P). But yes, it will be made clear people can't and won't get 50MB/s for themselves. But, they will get probably 10MB/s down and 5 up, which is comparable to a 100mbit shared with only a couple people, but far cheaper (less disk space obviously). Anyway we'll see how it goes :D

Hey, if you ever get this up and running and need some testers let me know I will be up for a spot.

MiNiMAL
10-28-2010, 11:05 AM
edited....

Timmydoo
11-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Well from my experience with seedboxes, If they dont mention the number of users per server, then its not worth it. If the server configuration doesnt have enough memory and cpu power, then i assume a 100% load on it. Then again if you only need a seedbox to share a few torrents for months...then it may be a good deal. Dont get your hopes up to buffer your ratio in the short term with such a configuration.

The 1GB network: its not the speed of the box, but of the network that could host 10-100 boxes..

Also a 1GB network, doesnt mean each user can get equal share. From personal experience i had a dedicated 1GB box, and yet i was getting all alone, 40MB down and only 10-15MB up.

Thelen
11-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Yes, very good points, and we will certainly make sure to mention exactly what specs, what number of users, and the expected speed.

One thing to be aware of though, is there ARE differences in providers. Yes, OVH "Gbit" is really just 200Mbit up, and same with rapidspeeds and others like netdirekt who are extremely contended. Some providers are better though, IE leaseweb, swiftway, softlayer, singlehop, etc, and you really do have a direct Gbit connection from your server to the border routers. Anyway, regardless of such a host and plans and specs, I think it is more important for a user to ask himself "how do I get ratio?" rather than "what is the cheapest" or whatever. At the end of the day a 9 euro seedbox might give him as much ratio as a 90 euro box.

seeder22
11-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I pay 26$ a mo for my gig 80GB with rapidpeer. its really fast and i like it, but i think that is their lowest package.

one time i signed up with seedunlimited for gig and it took forever to get the server, when i finally did it was very very slow so they refunded me. but i think that one was cheaper than my current RP one, Im always looking for the max speed and use several providers currently. gigabit NEVER IS TRUE 1000MBIT know that.. you MAY see the 90-100MB/sec but ive never seen it sustain anything near that, on ANY seedbox provider ive used / have.

Thelen
11-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Well the issue is 2-fold.

1. OVH netdirekt leaseweb (volume network) and rapidspeeds (reseller of volume network) are not connected to a dedicated Gbit port, they have a shared bandwidth pool which results in 200-400Mbps average per server. So already indeed it is starting out low.
2. Even sharing with 3 users, clearly you will rarely if ever see 90/100MB/s unless the other people are doing nothing.

So then, the main reason Gbit plans exist is because on occasion they are faster than 100Mbit, through simple maths. If 10 people share 100MBit, and 15 people share 200-400Mbit, the average is much higher.