PDA

View Full Version : Overclocked, Paranoid Or Not

bob_the_alien
11-06-2003, 08:17 AM
Ok, here’s the deal, I've got a Athlon XP 2500, overclocked to 2.2 ghz.

At load, the bios will usually say the Temp is around 50 C, now after getting Windows loaded, I use a few programs to monitor the Temp,

Hardware Monitor keeps it around 35 C,
Sisandra will show anywhere from 17-30 C.
And when I run AIDA32, it shows it at 93 C, but I know this one is wrong, because it has never shown anything but 93 C, even before I overclocked, and my bios is set to shutdown the system at 85 C, so this has to be wrong.

Anyway, after getting all these different temps, I'm starting to get a bit concerned that my sensors on my Mobo aren't working correctly, and I'm afraid my CPU may overheat.

What do you think, Do you think this is normal, or am I right to be Paranoid?

Spock4
11-06-2003, 08:19 AM
First of all HOW DO YOU OVER CLOCK YOUR PROCESSOR? I have AMD ATHLON 2000 + XP 1.6 GHZ

bob_the_alien
11-06-2003, 08:27 AM
You can change your FSB and/or Cpu Core Voltage.
Depending on what Mobo your using, it sometimes is simple, sometime not as simple,

Just do a search, on the fourms, I'm sure there are many posts on how to overclock, or try www.overclockers.com (http://www.overclockers.com)

reignking
11-06-2003, 04:14 PM
it's pretty obvious your sensors are messed... so instead of trying to figure that out, we'll try to figure out if you have enough cooling...

what type of fans do you have?

personally i have a volcano nine hsf, five case fans, and a top blowhole and my temps are 33C idle and 41C load.

as long as you aren't running stock hsf and have a good amount of air moving through your case, you should be ok.

rk

Kunal
11-06-2003, 04:20 PM
your bios is likely to be most accurate some of these monitoring program never work, btw what motherbaord have you got and are you using a stock hsf? if so get it chaged mate ;)

bob_the_alien
11-06-2003, 05:29 PM
I'm using a cheaper Coolermaster HSF, I think its just called a cooler.
I have a chaintech 7NIF2 mobo.
I also have a fan in the front, blowing in, fan on top blowing out, fan on side blowing out, and the of course the power supply fan.

I think I've got it, though. I kept rebooting, and checking the temp in the bios, then I'd go and use Hardware Monitor, and at full load it shows 45 C.

And the bios, seems to be showing about the same, sometimes a bit more, but not much. then at idle Hardware Monitor is staying around 30-35C, so I'm thinking it's probably showing correctly.

However, I think, I'm going to buy another hsf, just to be one the safe side.
May decreace the fsb, though, until I get the new hsf.

Kunal
11-06-2003, 05:35 PM
your idle temp and your load temp shouldnt be so far apart...

lynx
11-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Kunal@6 November 2003 - 17:35
For an overclocked system, this is wrong.

In a system running at normal speeds (ie not overclocked) that may well be true, but in an overclocked system the amount of heat produced at idle will not be much more than the normal system, but at full load the heat produced will be far in excess of that of the normal system. The can be only one consequence of this - much higher temps at full load.

I would say you have a pretty stable system, but I would also recommend trying to reduce the overall temps. The only way to do this is to reduce both the load temp and the idle temp, but you will still have a much bigger idle/load temp gap than a normal system.

Kunal
11-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by lynx+6 November 2003 - 19:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 6 November 2003 - 19:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kunal@6 November 2003 - 17:35
For an overclocked system, this is wrong.

In a system running at normal speeds (ie not overclocked) that may well be true, but in an overclocked system the amount of heat produced at idle will not be much more than the normal system, but at full load the heat produced will be far in excess of that of the normal system. The can be only one consequence of this - much higher temps at full load.

I would say you have a pretty stable system, but I would also recommend trying to reduce the overall temps. The only way to do this is to reduce both the load temp and the idle temp, but you will still have a much bigger idle/load temp gap than a normal system. [/b][/quote]
oh well never mind im wrong (once agian&#33;)

johnboy27
11-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Just open hardware monitor and adjust the temps in it.Right click on the icon and then choose settings and then click on the advanced tab and there is a temp correction setting in there.

bob_the_alien
11-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all the help,
And yes the system is running pretty stable.
When its not oced, though, its running about 38c at full load. So it is running quite a bit higher, but it&#39;s not getting too hot.

But as I said before, I&#39;m going to just be on the safe side, and get a better hsf, also my wires are a tad bit messy, so I&#39;ll clean that up, so the air will flow better.
I&#39;ll work at cooling it more,

When I first posted I was worried, but after messing around with it for most the night, I’ve decided that it&#39;s not as bad as my mind was making it out to be.
Anyway, Thanks Again.

clocker
11-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by bob_the_alien@6 November 2003 - 14:20

When I first posted I was worried, but after messing around with it for most the night, I’ve decided that it&#39;s not as bad as my mind was making it out to be.
Anyway, Thanks Again.
I&#39;m glad that it is working out for you, but terribly disappointed that you couldn&#39;t explain how to get a (valid) CPU temp of 17C with just air cooling.

That would have been worth learning...

bob_the_alien
11-07-2003, 03:58 AM
The 17 C temp was coming from Sisandra,
It must not work with my mobo, cuz it gives me some really werid temps, It even gave me a 1 C temp at one point, and I don&#39;t see that happening at all.

All the rest of the temps were coming from hardware monitor, it appears to actually work.

Yeah, it would be nice if, I could get a 17c temp with just air cooling, I&#39;m actually thinking about trying water cooling though, but since I&#39;ve never even seen a system with water cooling (well, except pics), I&#39;m a little ifiy on it.

clocker
11-07-2003, 04:59 AM
I am seriously looking into water coolingand have decided that to start I might make all the hardware external to the case.
That way the only risk point is the connections at the water block.
It also simplifies the problem of getting rid of the heat.

SciManAl
11-07-2003, 12:37 PM
overclocking and watercooling really go together man, if you want any help with watercooling then just ask&#33; also what is your budget, some set ups can be very expensive, and unless you are building it from scrap i would say that if you set it up right inintally, and check on it every now and then then you won&#39;t have problems with leaking... But watercooling can be great&#33;

clocker
11-07-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by SciManAl@7 November 2003 - 05:37
overclocking and watercooling really go together man, if you want any help with watercooling then just ask&#33; also what is your budget, some set ups can be very expensive, and unless you are building it from scrap i would say that if you set it up right inintally, and check on it every now and then then you won&#39;t have problems with leaking... But watercooling can be great&#33;
Judging by several of your posts you are a big advocate of water cooling.

Is your system cooled thusly?

If so, please post some specs and pics.

I&#39;m looking for ideas.... ;)