PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Ford

megabyteme
11-09-2010, 06:58 AM
His career has slowed. I actually had to look on IMDB to see what, if anything he has been working on in the past few years. The Indy series should have ended with Last Crusade- the latest one was a huge disappointment. :angry:

I still enjoy quite a few of HF's movies. Mosquito Coast is among my favorites, BTW.

I'm wondering what others are thinking of him and his career. Should he call it quits while he is still respectable, or do as soooo many of Holly's once-good/greats have done- continue on, hope to knock one more out of the park (or simply suck up as much cash as possible while people still remember his name), but usually only embarrass themselves? ...

Would you prefer to see Holly's greats simply retire while they are great? It's nice to see our favorite actors working, but we can only take so much disappointment before it starts to diminish their previously loved work. HF is on that edge if you ask me.

IdolEyes787
11-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Think of actors like athletes .They come to success at a very specific time for a very specific non-sustainable reason . With athletes it's (usually) more nature than ego (sports being particularly unforgiving to diminishing skill .Not to mention even for those that enjoy training at some point dimishing reward doesn't equate to the necessity to give up on everything else in life ).Whereas in acting/entertainment the converse is true .
There is no cold, emotionless finely drawn line that states you no longer might have what it takes( think again that an actor achieved fame at a specific moment for a specific reason and that reason is likely not really tied to their raw acting ability and they long ago stopped being that catch the public's fancy person). They only being surrounded by paid enablers and the echoes of past applause probably don't see it that way though. Hence until the well of jobs totally dries up ego ( and the studio wishing to rather risk it's money on a known if diminished factor) will unfortunately reign.

Obviously this only applies to leading men /women .Character actors never dependent on looks or "star power" age gracefully.

Btw this is just a long way of me saying that yes people should know when to leave.

MagicNakor
11-09-2010, 06:40 PM
His career may have slowed, but he's still averaging one movie a year... not bad for a 68 year-old man, and pretty close to what he's always done. Also Indy 5 (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/11/09/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-5-george-lucas/) is in the works. Financially the last one was a success; script-wise, well, I think that's in George Lucas' court. Role-wise, he's always been more of an action hero than a dramatic one, which is a tough spot to fill once senior status hits. The aging process isn't suited for fast-living fast-talking men.

If he's still enjoying making movies, why shouldn't he? Countless bad movies are produced each year and quickly forgotten; Han Solo and "Why did it have to be snakes?!"-era Indiana Jones have become icons and won't so easily fade.

:shuriken:

megabyteme
11-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I hear you, Magic. I'm currently torn on the industry right now. One side says, "movies should be an art that puts the best people together with the best scripts, and make something of value". The other side of me defends movies like The Expendables for "being exactly what it was meant to be".

HF was one of those "best people", but he has fallen victim to poor scripts/roles. He's not the only one, either. The audiences get duped all the time hoping that once-greats will do them right once again. This is where I get disgusted with the movie industry- they treat us like suckers 65% of the time, yet we are supposed to keep supporting them.

MagicNakor
11-12-2010, 09:47 PM
One of the major problems with Hollywood movies today (as I see it) is "sequelitis". Rather than take a chance on a unique story, studios would much rather make a 5th, 6th, 7th of a "proven franchise" to get those big opening numbers. Granted this isn't a new problem (Rocky...) but seems to be becoming greater. Previous "unique stories" are now becoming franchises. What's worse to me are the seemingly endless remakes as they really appear as a cash grab. The most baffling of these would be the decision to give the American-remake treatment to the Swedish Millennium Trilogy; I'm not sure what is hoped to be gained by it, as the originals are powerful stuff.

Harrison Ford does have a new one out called Morning Glory (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101109/REVIEWS/101109973) which sounds sort of fun.

:shuriken:

megabyteme
11-12-2010, 10:50 PM
The most baffling of these would be the decision to give the American-remake treatment to the Swedish Millennium Trilogy; I'm not sure what is hoped to be gained by it, as the originals are powerful stuff.

Harrison Ford does have a new one out called Morning Glory (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101109/REVIEWS/101109973) which sounds sort of fun.

My wife and I greatly enjoyed the Millennium trio, and both share your dismay. The same goes for Let The Right One In- which, from the preview, appears to be a shot-for-shot remake. :frusty: I'm certain they will make money off the ventures, but would prefer to see them take a bloody lip for their plagiarism.

I'll proceed cautiously with Morning Glory, but a quick skim of your link (I try my hardest to not know anything about movies going in as I've had too many single-note movies turn to a complete waste of time by even glancing at a review, catching a preview, or even checking the quality of a 15 second sample before downloading), does make it look promising. Thanks for the heads-up!