PDA

View Full Version : FST was good while it lasted, 'Senate Committee Passes Bill To Quash Pirate Websites'

JustDOSE
11-19-2010, 06:29 AM
the U.S. Senate’s Judicial Committee unanimously passed the controversial ‘Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act’ today, a bill that could be used to crack down on many BitTorrent sites and other file-sharing platforms. The bill would give the Department of Justice the unprecedented power to take over domain names of websites that are deemed to facilitate copyright infringement. As was demonstrated (http://torrentfreak.com/fed-busted-movie-site-informed-of-investigation-months-ago-100701/) earlier this year, taking the domains of suspected sites has proven to be a highly effective tool to shut down sites that are considered illegal. In September, a group of U.S. senators proposed (http://torrentfreak.com/us-lawmakers-want-to-quash-pirate-websites-100920/) legislation to make this a standard procedure, and today the Senate’s Judicial Committee unanimously supported the bill.
Before it becomes law the bill will have to be approved by the Senate and Congress, which has to happen quickly because a new Congress will be seated in January.
If signed into law, the ‘Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act’ (COICA) would allow the Department of Justice to file a civil lawsuit against the domain owners. If the courts then decide that a site is indeed promoting copyright infringement, the DOJ can order the domain registrar to take the domain offline. The bill is not limited to domestics offenders, but also allows the DOJ to target foreign domain owners.
The targets of the bill could possibly include many BitTorrent sites. Last week both the MPAA (http://torrentfreak.com/mpaa-lists-major-torrent-usenet-and-hosting-sites-in-submission-to-u-s-government-101107/) and RIAA (http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-reports-torrent-sites-rapidshare-and-rlslog-to-us-government-101111/) submitted their wishlists of “rogue websites” that should be taken care of, and these included The Pirate Bay, isoHunt, Demonoid and other popular torrent sites.
Although none of the operators of these sites will be happy with the new legislation, Demonoid has been opposing COICA in public, asking its members to take action.
“If passed, this law will allow the government, under the command of the media companies, to censor the internet as they see fit, like China and Iran do, with the difference that the sites they decide to censor will be completely removed from the internet and not just in the US,” a message on the Demonoid homepage (http://www.demonoid.com/) reads.
Aside from classic ‘pirate’ websites, the bill also conveniently provides an effective backdoor to take the whistleblower site Wikileaks offline, or its domain at least. After all, Wikileaks has posted thousands of files that are owned by the United States.
If the bill is accepted it will change the Internet and how domain names are controlled for good. Thus far, no central government has the power to take over domains. This power belongs exclusively to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
Over the last weeks, several digital rights groups including the EFF have voiced their concerns over the new legislation, calling it (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/11/case-against-coica) an “unconstitutional restriction on freedom of speech and a threat to innovation” and claiming it “would break the Internet.”
The protests and opposition are expected to continue during the next weeks, but meanwhile the RIAA (http://www.riaa.com/news_room.php) and MPAA (http://mpaa.org/news/pr) are applauding the Government’s actions.

http://torrentfreak.com/senate-passes-bill-to-quash-pirate-websites-101118/

fst was good while it lasted

Cabalo
11-19-2010, 06:43 AM
FST isn't going anywhere. You should be more alarmed that your government is stealing you from some constitutionally acquired rights.

Disme
11-19-2010, 07:28 AM
The 'American' Dream :rolleyes:

JustDOSE
11-19-2010, 07:54 AM
FST isn't going anywhere. You should be more alarmed that your government is stealing you from some constitutionally acquired rights.

dude, wtf am i gonna do... go all che garvra on them?!?.... this nation is nothing but zombies living in a fantasy who will do whatever tv tells them.... personally if this passed an no action was taken by the masses then that's a green light that government cant start imprinting bar-codes on ever-ones forehead.... yea dude fuck the USA and I am saving money and getting my experience so i can leave this shit hole

you think our government will respond to talk or protests? NO they wont, look at our police, every cop that works in every city in America does not live in the city they work in so they wont feel bad about beating the shit of us.... our jails are controlled by people who out to be in psychiatry wards, and cali voted in the terminator for governor which he has fucked everyone so bad that most state workers took a pay cut and work at least 4 days a month for free...... i asked one why dont they protest this legal slavery and she gave me that attitude that she couldn't do nothing about it................. thats how everyone feels here they are FUCKIN STUPID.

IF jesus were to come to earth people in america would prob give him a TV show.... :yup:

you know usa locks up drug addicts with murders, and were does most of the legal opium gets made into drugs for??? USA.... everyone here is a legal fuckin junkie but doesn't have the mental capacity to understand why its wrong to lock up someone for having a bag of weed.... fat lazy worthlessly smug f*gg*t muther fuckers.... i live here and i still hate everyone, i dont blame the world for talking shit out america.

ziggyjuarez
11-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Is that the weed talking JustDose?It is ok.Just drink some milk and all will be normal again.And stop listening to alex jones's radio show.

anon
11-19-2010, 12:40 PM

And it will remain good, since just talking about filesharing doesn't make it a "pirate Web site".

At most, the only thing that may give this forum trouble are the NZBs.

IdolEyes787
11-19-2010, 01:30 PM

And it will remain good.

Obviously while you write you don't read a lot.:mellow:

anon
11-19-2010, 01:49 PM
My choice of words wasn't the best, true...

Shinzen
11-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Still if some thing does happen FST can be hosted from other country right ?

tesco
11-19-2010, 02:04 PM
At most, the only thing that may give this forum trouble are the NZBs.
I've put too much work into the nzb section to lose it now... :(
Maybe we can move hosting to some pirate-neutral country.

Cabalo
11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Demonoid servers are the go to guys.

nntpjunkie
11-19-2010, 06:42 PM
A great place to get the latest info on bills that are being pushed or sponsored is OpenCongress - here is a link to this horrible bill - http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s3804/show - The site is awesome and provides a great starting point to actually know who to write and protest to. I am writing my letters. Americans need to wake up and realize those suites in washington work for us....did everyone forget that...sometimes I wonder

chalice
11-19-2010, 08:53 PM

dude, wtf am i gonna do... go all che garvra on them?!?.... this nation is nothing but zombies living in a fantasy who will do whatever tv tells them.... personally if this passed an no action was taken by the masses then that's a green light that government cant start imprinting bar-codes on ever-ones forehead.... yea dude fuck the USA and I am saving money and getting my experience so i can leave this shit hole

you think our government will respond to talk or protests? NO they wont, look at our police, every cop that works in every city in America does not live in the city they work in so they wont feel bad about beating the shit of us.... our jails are controlled by people who out to be in psychiatry wards, and cali voted in the terminator for governor which he has fucked everyone so bad that most state workers took a pay cut and work at least 4 days a month for free...... i asked one why dont they protest this legal slavery and she gave me that attitude that she couldn't do nothing about it................. thats how everyone feels here they are FUCKIN STUPID.

IF jesus were to come to earth people in america would prob give him a TV show.... :yup:

you know usa locks up drug addicts with murders, and were does most of the legal opium gets made into drugs for??? USA.... everyone here is a legal fuckin junkie but doesn't have the mental capacity to understand why its wrong to lock up someone for having a bag of weed.... fat lazy worthlessly smug f*gg*t muther fuckers.... i live here and i still hate everyone, i dont blame the world for talking shit out america.

Nobody gives a festering fuck as to what you think of whichever country you happened to swerve the abortionist in.

While you're qualifying for a passport to the new world, why not try getting the fuck off the planet altogether. Shoot yourself in the face.

That'll teach them faceless bureaucrats, you fucking monkey.

chalice
11-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Speaking as a spokesman for the rest of the world, I've been given the nod to tell you that we don't want you.

chalice
11-19-2010, 09:18 PM
You personally, that is, the rest of your family are welcome.

Your mum's been coming and going for years.

Quarterquack
11-19-2010, 09:19 PM
As far as I know, no law can take down servers etc. They can be checked but they have to go back online, the content on those servers isn't safe, though.
What this law does is simply block domain names, which has happened countless times in other countries. Use IP addresses. They can't block that propogation until a few bills down the road, at least. That would involve actual blocks being placed, and I doubt too many people would be pleased that time around. This law has been passed and redacted many a times in countries reigned with almost no democracy. It just slows things down.

Don't get me wrong. It's downright disgusting that rights are being taken away, but on the opposite side of things, it is the right thing to do. The government can't sit idly and ignore the rampant piracy nowadays for good. Ten years ago "just napster it dude" was the big thing for singles, nowadays trackers have upwards of 1 million albums archived. Oh well, onto the next protocol, soon enough. :happy:

chalice
11-19-2010, 11:31 PM
As far as I know, no law can take down servers etc. They can be checked but they have to go back online, the content on those servers isn't safe, though.
What this law does is simply block domain names, which has happened countless times in other countries. Use IP addresses. They can't block that propogation until a few bills down the road, at least. That would involve actual blocks being placed, and I doubt too many people would be pleased that time around. This law has been passed and redacted many a times in countries reigned with almost no democracy. It just slows things down.

Don't get me wrong. It's downright disgusting that rights are being taken away, but on the opposite side of things, it is the right thing to do. The government can't sit idly and ignore the rampant piracy nowadays for good. Ten years ago "just napster it dude" was the big thing for singles, nowadays trackers have upwards of 1 million albums archived. Oh well, onto the next protocol, soon enough. :happy:

The minute I take the time out of my busy life to read what you just posted, I'll let you know how wank it was.

megabyteme
11-20-2010, 11:00 AM
The government can't sit idly and ignore the rampant piracy nowadays for good.

:emo:

This is about 2 or 3 industries having complete control over the internet. And these 2-3 industries are complete, lying, greedy, manipulative scumbags. Enjoy your guilt, and repaying every time you want to listen to a song, watch a movie, a tv program, or read a book. The term is "multiple revenue streams", and you are its source. How generous of you...

This is not about theft, it's about public access to library materials. Much or it, we are already paying for by watching product placements. :ermm: