PDA

View Full Version : Good Encryption Software?

jallen100
11-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Hey guys, i am wondering what your opinions are on the best software for encrypting folders or entire hard drives. I am currently using TrueCrypt and it seems to be ok. But is it the safest? I wan't to make sure my personal information is secure.

Thanks for your help

greatseeder
11-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Why so scared? CP is forbidden and you know it. Just set a bios password, that'll do.

jallen100
11-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Are there any non-assholes who actually know wtf they are talking about? Would appreciate it.

NeoTheOne
11-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Hey Jallen, Trucrypt is a really good encryption program, if you want something more professional you can also try PGP Whole Disk Encryption. I use this on my Mac, and its pretty good.

However If you find trucrypt is easy to use then stick with it, there isnt much difference in security in both products.

The main thing is having a long password , try to use something with mixed case and number and atleast 12 characters long.

mR.d@hLa!
11-22-2010, 07:26 PM
You should be pretty safe with Truecrypt. As far as I know it hasnīt been cracked yet, except for that firewire exploit, which however is not that much of an issue in my opinion

jallen100
11-23-2010, 03:09 AM
Ok thanks for the comments guys. Yeah i looked into that firewire memory exploit out of curiousity. The only way that would work is if a volume has already been mounted and they have a firewire connected to the back of your computer. Not very likely. Another way is to take the ram out and freeze it within seconds. Well i am not working for the government, or a CEO of a major corperation so i don't think i have to worry about that lol. I am glad i chose this program it is great so far!

Thanks again,

Jallen

Expeto
11-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Truecrypt is a very strong solution, it will protect you info. Give more information about who you are trying to hide data from, for better advice

darkstate01
12-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Yes Truecrypt is the daddy
The good thing about Truecrypt is you can encrypt an OS-partition while you are using it,takes about 8hrs, then do a reboot and your whole OS-partition is encrypted.
You can make usb drives encrypted,files, keyfiles pretty much anything on a pc.
you made a good choice.

xsofts
05-20-2011, 09:57 PM
You can see this topic http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/429339-Does-anyone-here-know-about-or-use-encryption-software

coldito
05-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Truecrypt is the best

Martinsmith
09-25-2017, 10:23 AM
TrueCrypt is the good encryption software..

anon
09-25-2017, 02:54 PM
VeraCrypt if you need container support, DiskCryptor if you don't (it's much faster).

wolfy20
10-11-2017, 05:42 PM
VeraCrypt if you need container support, DiskCryptor if you don't (it's much faster).

Agree, I was using Truecrypt until few months, but the TrueCrypt version wasn't compatible with Mac OsX latest version, so I migrated to VeraCrypt which is very similar and maybe more powerfull... A really need to get.

anon
10-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Mac OsX latest version

I forgot to mention, DiskCryptor is Windows only, so those running a different system should disregard my suggestion :P

We'll never know what really happened with TrueCrypt, thankfully there were people willing to pick up where it left off.