PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablets.

JPaul
11-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Any good, or something else.

Something Else
11-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Robots have no need for medication. Fact.

JPaul
11-22-2010, 11:48 PM

I never thought that through.

Mr. Mulder
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
i've gotten my grubby hands on a couple at work, some of our developers are making apps for Android.

Think i had it in my hands a good 15minutes before getting bored with it (it was some sort of Philips model) and then started to feel like one of those students/non IT businessmen who buy iPads and use them on the train to maximize and minimize the same apps over and over again.

Tablets have a long way to go and a long way to fall in terms of price before they're "any good" which is just my opinion, which is right about everything. ever.

Something Else
11-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Think i had it in my hands a good 15minutes before getting bored with it (it was some sort of Philips model) and then started to feel like one of those students/non IT businessmen who buy iPads and use them on the train to maximize and minimize the same apps over and over again.

mrs.parkbenchi has an ipod touch. I use it to stream stuff over the wifi, so I can watch in the garden while I smoke. A bigger screen would be nice.

The best use i've seen for an iPad, is using TeamViewer to remote connect to your home/office PC/laptop. That way you have the full computer power, and nothing to carry.

I agree that it's probably a bit early for them. There are some cheap deals on 7'' screen Android devices about. About 95 squids. They run Android OS 1.6, which is shite, by all accounts. I think they're up to 2.2 or something else.

If the ability to remote login to your proper computer, and stream video / audio appeals, then FFS. Let mrs JP buy you one. It'll only end up in the phial with the rest of the unloved equipment anyways.

JPaul
11-23-2010, 10:24 PM
i've gotten my grubby hands on a couple at work, some of our developers are making apps for Android.

Tablets have a long way to go and a long way to fall in terms of price before they're "any good" which is just my opinion, which is right about everything. ever.

Cheers mate, always glad to get the opinion.

Not like that cunt Second Edition, never a serious answer from him.

JPaul
11-23-2010, 10:29 PM

mrs.parkbenchi has an ipod touch. I use it to stream stuff over the wifi, so I can watch in the garden while I smoke. A bigger screen would be nice.

The best use i've seen for an iPad, is using TeamViewer to remote connect to your home/office PC/laptop. That way you have the full computer power, and nothing to carry.

I agree that it's probably a bit early for them. There are some cheap deals on 7'' screen Android devices about. About 95 squids. They run Android OS 1.6, which is shite, by all accounts. I think they're up to 2.2 or something else.

If the ability to remote login to your proper computer, and stream video / audio appeals, then FFS. Let mrs JP buy you one. It'll only end up in the phial with the rest of the unloved equipment anyways.

I have no unloved equipment. Fact.

Actually it's more to watch internet puntsphere over the wireless, which I do on occasion. I just don't fancy paying over 400 of your English pounds to do it.

The android thing with the SD and USB and stuffs looked a better buy to me then the IPOSE.

Different from the willowy Mrs B obviously. If I was a wisp of a lassie it would be the coolest thing in the World to the macs.

JPaul
11-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Wait am I thinking of the iPad rather then the iPod.

Same applies though. The wee screen would be no use, I am 83 now.

Something Else
11-23-2010, 11:29 PM
If the Android thingy could do the streaming of puntsphere over wireless, then i'd already have one. Obviousment.

If it can, then I'm a frayed knot.

Something Else
11-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Different from the willowy Mrs B obviously. If I was a wisp of a lassie it would be the coolest thing in the World to the macs.

:lol:

Genius. She'll really appreciate that. Quite a mind on her. Especially these days.

JPaul
11-24-2010, 12:08 AM

:lol:

Genius. She'll really appreciate that. Quite a mind on her. Especially these days.

Is she thinking 4-2 like.

Cross thread reference = win.

brotherdoobie
11-24-2010, 03:29 AM

:huh:

What about robot aids, eh?

-doobs

Mr. Mulder
11-24-2010, 11:45 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/nov/23/novatech-ntablet-review

incase you're thinking of going down the Windows path :pinch:

Mr. Mulder
11-24-2010, 11:54 AM
There's also the problem that the Atom processor has keeping up with orientation: though the nTablet is sensitive to orientation, and will adjust the screen display to portrait or display as required, there's a brief period of darkness while it turns the screen off and on again when you turn it through 90 degrees. I've not come across that on any other tablet I've tried, whether iPad or Android. It's disconcerting, at best.

probably because its down to the chipset to render it and not the atom CPU, it'll more than likely be some GMA900 bullshit. I have an Atom mini-itx desktop with a more current chipset and it copes with Win7 orientation just fine :dabs: Charles Arthur talks a lot of pish, I listen to the Guardian Tech Podcasts on the way to work when they're released and he is always trying to have opinions about things. I believe this is where he is going wrong lyke.