PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter vs Twilight!

redfaction
11-26-2010, 08:52 AM
What do you like?

MagicNakor
11-27-2010, 03:19 AM
Admittedly I was expecting something like this:

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID15166/images/twilight-blade-twilight-series-7218972-400-267.jpg

:shuriken:

Expeto
11-27-2010, 06:58 AM
I think that picture is way more entertaining than the whole saga

edit:forgot to add this ;
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/back-in-my-day-vampires-sucked-blood-not-cock.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu6ShmbGOns)

iLOVENZB
11-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Twilight is really no comparison to Harry Potter.

Can't believe how many people actually still see the Twilight saga. Isn't it obvious after 3 different directors for 3 parts means there is something wrong? Hopefully Tim Burton gets his hands on the the screenplay of Breaking Dawn and really turns the franchise around.

They saga really had potential but the screenplay and Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson stale acting performance throughout them spoilt the saga considerable.

IdolEyes787
11-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Whatever you might think of it Harry Potter is this generations equivalent of Lord of the Rings ,an epic tale that deepens and grows as it progresses. Twilight on the other hand is the literary equivalent of Tiger Beat magazine .
As for the Twilight movies how good can they really be if a frickin' TV show that being (The Vampire Diaries:mellow:) on , of all places , the CW network is even better than them.

kbcurtis
12-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Harry Potter is much better, I dont like Twilight at all!!!

mr. nails
12-03-2010, 06:14 AM
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID15166/images/twilight-blade-twilight-series-7218972-400-267.jpg

lol, that's awesome.

GreenScorpioN
12-04-2010, 06:50 AM
me 2 ...harry Potter is better then that group of Emo :((

Loloaca
12-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Harry Potter , of course is better, the storyline is more complex, not a day-walker vampire in love....

speedtouch
12-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Harry Potter is N.1 for me.

Humbucker
12-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Harry Potter ftw....opinions may differ drastically if you are a teenage girl

theriddler342
12-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Harry Potter is amazing! I'll take that any day over Twilight.

Sushi007
12-16-2010, 08:35 PM
I hate Twilight and I can't say Harry Potter is much better but HP is much more reasonable when it comes to story.................

fox92
12-23-2010, 07:01 AM
harry potter hands down! I was hooked to all the books, finished reading them in a week or so. Don't judge me :D

anon
12-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Don't judge me :D

I liked the HP books, also. :unsure:

IceFrog
12-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I like Harry-Potter ,is more better then Twilight :D

CSS
12-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Harry Potter is better :-)

tuque1
12-28-2010, 08:31 AM
twilight ftw

gionman
12-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Potter fo sho

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

infwb970
05-27-2011, 03:15 AM
Harry Potter is better. the storyline is more interesting

superpagla
06-21-2011, 06:17 AM
I read and watched both Books and Movies (R - HP more than 10 times; Twillight 5+ times). And Harry Potter wins in both category. Both series is good. But HP is better.

And as for the movies don't ask..... Harry Rocks ; Twilight SU*KS!!!

logii
08-17-2011, 10:17 PM
1. twilight ''

anon
08-17-2011, 10:55 PM
1. twilight ''

Bon Jovi (:

logii
08-18-2011, 02:37 PM
imma different

IdolEyes787
08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=83421&d=1313621687&thumb=1

Startear
10-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Harry Potter is better, The story is a bit more complex, and has better twist than Twilight.

Glod
10-13-2011, 11:31 PM
I haven't read Twilight or watched the film adaptation, so I can't comment on that, but as for Harry Potter, I'm not much of a fan. The setting is imaginative and charmingly peculiar, but the story was a major disappointment, as it is wholly derivative of previous literature and sticks to the usual tropes of the teenage fantasy genre. Bright, kind boy unappreciated by world, discovers he is special, acquires friends, acquires rivals, suddenly part of an epic battle between good and evil, must face dilemmas that test his courage and morality, inevitably triumphs. As with many similar works, I believe the world that was created, Hogwarts, will live on and continue to be appreciated after the story of Harry Potter has faded into distant memory. Others will rise up to tell their own tales within the framework that Rowling has laid out.

Quarterquack
10-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Glod, Rowling herself is making "Pottermore" to expand the Universe for that very reason. And you're not wrong. There's a small underground cult brewing up Hogwarts Universe stories. Harry's sons caught in another epic good vs. evil battle. A guy who sat in Harry's classrooms and played a massive roll in all the unanswered questions. I could go on. I read most of the fan fiction, and some of it is surprisingly amazing. I even read Rowling's first drafts of the books (some of them were leaked), and boy does she put effort into her work. She basically re-wrote the books from first draft to final version. Almost reminded me of "The Master & Margarita."

As someone who has read intensively into both universes, Rowling is a much better writer, and is (no pun intended) a settings wizard. I was amazed by how portrayals of settings in the two final movies adhered so well to how I imagined them out of the book, as was my girlfriend who had the exact same images running about her mind during her readings. However, Meyer clearly comes out on top with general knowledge. Rowling uses her imagination to brew the story. Meyer uses theology, contemporary deontology, and psychological grips to add a few layers of interest to what on the surface appears as a joke of a novel. There's an entire world of woven messages in the latter series.

I'd still pick Terry Pratchett's Discworld over either series.

IdolEyes787
10-14-2011, 03:30 AM
I haven't read Twilight or watched the film adaptation, so I can't comment on that, but as for Harry Potter, I'm not much of a fan. The setting is imaginative and charmingly peculiar, but the story was a major disappointment, as it is wholly derivative of previous literature and sticks to the usual tropes of the teenage fantasy genre. Bright, kind boy unappreciated by world, discovers he is special, acquires friends, acquires rivals, suddenly part of an epic battle between good and evil, must face dilemmas that test his courage and morality, inevitably triumphs. As with many similar works, I believe the world that was created, Hogwarts, will live on and continue to be appreciated after the story of Harry Potter has faded into distant memory. Others will rise up to tell their own tales within the framework that Rowling has laid out.Again you seem oblivious to the fact that all stories are derivative to some extent. The only thing that marks one as memorable and one as forgettable is the execution.
The old Menandrian plot,boy meets girl, boy loses girl,boy gets girl back. Except somethings the boy is a girl and the girl is a great white whale.

Harry Potter succeeds because it successfully creates and maintains a unique and complex universe filled with characters that people can cheer for or root against.The "derivative story" is almost incidental to that fact.

Glod
10-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Glod, Rowling herself is making "Pottermore" to expand the Universe for that very reason. And you're not wrong. There's a small underground cult brewing up Hogwarts Universe stories. Harry's sons caught in another epic good vs. evil battle. A guy who sat in Harry's classrooms and played a massive roll in all the unanswered questions. I could go on. I read most of the fan fiction, and some of it is surprisingly amazing. I even read Rowling's first drafts of the books (some of them were leaked), and boy does she put effort into her work. She basically re-wrote the books from first draft to final version. Almost reminded me of "The Master & Margarita."

The relative abundance of fan fiction is a useful indicator for the appeal of an author's world, and I'm not surprised in the least that Rowling has decided to further flesh out the setting. I have no knowledge of The Master & Margarita.

As someone who has read intensively into both universes, Rowling is a much better writer, and is (no pun intended) a settings wizard. I was amazed by how portrayals of settings in the two final movies adhered so well to how I imagined them out of the book, as was my girlfriend who had the exact same images running about her mind during her readings. However, Meyer clearly comes out on top with general knowledge. Rowling uses her imagination to brew the story. Meyer uses theology, contemporary deontology, and psychological grips to add a few layers of interest to what on the surface appears as a joke of a novel. There's an entire world of woven messages in the latter series.

I'd still pick Terry Pratchett's Discworld over either series.

I've watched the first two Harry Potter films and was impressed by them. They brought to life the world that had previously existed only in imagination and did so without sacrificing the story. Some details were glossed over, but that is inevitable with any adaptation from a novel.

Again you seem oblivious to the fact that all stories are derivative to some extent. The only thing that marks one as memorable and one as forgettable is the execution.
The old Menandrian plot,boy meets girl, boy loses girl,boy gets girl back. Except somethings the boy is a girl and the girl is a great white whale.

Harry Potter succeeds because it successfully creates and maintains a unique and complex universe filled with characters that people can cheer for or root against.The "derivative story" is almost incidental to that fact.

Discussing anything with you is unpleasant, due to your insulting, confrontational style. I want to make that very clear, in case I seem to skip over your future posts.

Now, as for derivation in story telling, I agree that it is nigh impossible to prevent some level of that, but the teenage fantasy fiction genre is filled with tales about boys becoming men and saving the world in the process. I don't know about you, but I've read dozens of those and no longer find them entertaining without other aspects of the story making up for it. So, yes, execution is indeed important. Harry Potter has a brilliant setting, but that is only one component and insufficient for me to appreciate the story. Just as with Star Wars. Give me the universe, screw Skywalker. Comprende?

mjmacky
10-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Discussing anything with you is unpleasant, due to your insulting, confrontational style

He's like that because he doesn't have enough Louie in his life. I prescribe a grain of salt, perhaps a teaspoon, take with each time you ingest idly.

IdolEyes787
10-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Discussing anything with you is unpleasant, due to your insulting, confrontational style. I want to make that very clear, in case I seem to skip over your future posts.

It's only insulting because you are a bit of a twit totally unable to laugh yourself , so unwisely consider every superficially non- kind word to be "confrontational" and do not appear to aware of that fact.
I can only assume that you are either very young or pretense aside, very immature.

Btw if you grace me by deciding to read what I just wrote I'm sure you will take it as over-seriously as everything else in your life , solidify your ironically dour opinion that I am some sort of uncaring ogre and blissfully miss the entire point.
Just as you apparently did with Star Wars or Harry Potter.

Or course I probably shouldn't expect you to since to be able understand simple,unabashed fun, first you have to admit that you don't already know everything.

Lastly since we seem to sharing our various prejudices and personal dislikes here, in case I haven't made it already perfectly clear,not every thing in movies,TV,music or videogames is actually intentded to be taken so soul-suckingly seriously.
Therefore rather than marveling at the insightful brilliance of your posts I find them the literary equivalent of having to eat sand.

Glod
10-15-2011, 03:17 AM
He's like that because he doesn't have enough Louie in his life. I prescribe a grain of salt, perhaps a teaspoon, take with each time you ingest idly.

I won't speculate on the reasons for his hostile behavior, but the response below is the last he'll receive.

verbal diarrhea

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that you would rather trade insults than discuss topics of mutual interest.

mjmacky
10-15-2011, 09:21 AM
I won't speculate on the reasons for his hostile behavior, but the response below is the last he'll receive.

Well, that wasn't an actual speculation... you just happened to miss the running gag there.

If I were to actually speculate, I would say the hostility is the direct result of the amount of time spent amongst bittards. Let's say you've mostly owned Compaq equipment over the years, you'll likely develop a natural predisposition that all computer hardware is crap (no Compaq, I didn't forget about you and your shit computers). It's psychologically damaging to be exposed to this for too long (when you at least have an awareness about you). If I had to spend more than a week's company with someone who watched absorbed and talked about the Twilight series, one of us would literally be dead by the end of that week. Luckily, I'm not a pedophile so the chances of ending up in that predicament would be slim.

All of that would explain an easy instantaneous jump to hostility, the reasons harbored against you I think are a bit more specific. In your case, you portray a general naivete in your approach to treat all things sincerely, something that inevitably wears over time (rather quickly for some of us). So it all comes down to, loosen up.

IdolEyes787
10-15-2011, 11:53 AM
All other faults aside, I remain a remarkably good judge of character.
I also stand behind everything I said especially. now seeing that they've just been proven true.

You know Glod if you were in the Army you would likely be given the privilege of taking point.:mellow:

Quarterquack
10-17-2011, 02:05 AM
You know Glod if you were in the Army you would likely be given the privilege of taking point.:mellow:

Does he get to pick his own army, at the very least?
Although, I have a sneaking suspicion that he might pick Dumbledore's Army over a collection of Cullens.

daniel27lt
01-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Either of these novels have much of an intelligent story line to it. Never the less, I don't mind the Twilight stories, not the movies.

graphicsgail
01-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Twilight

elena1012
02-29-2012, 06:09 AM

lol, that's awesome.

Twilight!

musicool
03-05-2012, 10:22 AM
ofcourse harry potter

IdolEyes787
03-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Note to staff .Please confirm that the people that are responding to this thread seriously are adhering to site rules by actually being over 14.
Thanx in advance.

mjmacky
03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
With a topic like this I would say they both lose, but when examining the grand scheme, I believe we all lose.

stinkymonkey
03-05-2012, 08:38 PM
enh... not really a huge fan of twilight.. it was okay I can watch it once... but Harry potter and lord of the rings were just on a different level both the movie and novel

mjmacky
03-05-2012, 09:52 PM
We all just lost again.

Snee
03-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Twilight!

Totally.

IdolEyes787
03-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Twilight!

Totally.

OK but Team Edward or Team Jacob?

mjmacky
03-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Totally.

The one that lost.

IdolEyes787
03-07-2012, 12:36 PM

The one that lost.

Adored by million of preteen girls and you are actually going to try and make me believe that you think either one lost?

Quarterquack
03-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Team RENESME. The closest anyone got to killing Bella.

IdolEyes787
03-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Team RENESME. The closest anyone got to killing Bella.

I appreciate the small mercy that I have absolutely no idea who that is.

mjmacky
03-07-2012, 06:47 PM
The one that lost.

Adored by million of preteen girls and you are actually going to try and make me believe that you think either one lost?

I didn't know if I was trying to force you to believe anything, I honestly have no idea what any of that even means.

IdolEyes787
03-07-2012, 11:48 PM

I didn't know if I was trying to force you to believe anything, I honestly have no idea what any of that even means.

ConverselyI didn't know that I had to make things intelligible to you brah.

mjmacky
03-08-2012, 05:30 AM

ConverselyI didn't know that I had to make things intelligible to you brah.

Conversationally, you'd have to explain the teams thing. My comment about the losing team was an off-handed remark on a subject of which I lack all knowledge. Here is what I know about the series... it has gay abstinent vampires and Deadface McDeadeyes plays the female lead.

IdolEyes787
03-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Conversationally, you'd have to explain the teams thing. My comment about the losing team was an off-handed remark on a subject of which I lack all knowledge. Here is what I know about the series... it has gay abstinent vampires and Deadface McDeadeyes plays the female lead.

Sorry I can't be of much help here. Twilight breaks three of my hard and fast rules about movies:
1. Avoid anything that is likely to win multiple Teen Choice Awards
2. Don't see anything where the majority of reviews on IMDB begin with OMG!!!!
3. Something has to appear to be funny/exciting/interesting/sexy /moving or at the minimum at least unlikely to make me want to kill myself and anyone else in unfortunate proximity before investing my time into it .

Quarterquack
03-10-2012, 03:14 AM

You're making this too easy for me.

The next movie is going to deal with a "sacred" relationship of an adult werewolf man, with a female baby (literally just born).

I already know that you're rooting for them to stay together. You don't have to watch the movie. Just accept the opinion I want you to have.

mjmacky
03-10-2012, 11:38 AM

You're making this too easy for me.

The next movie is going to deal with a "sacred" relationship of an adult werewolf man, with a female baby (literally just born).

I already know that you're rooting for them to stay together. You don't have to watch the movie. Just accept the opinion I want you to have.

What do you mean werewolf, I thought it was about vampires??

Quarterquack
03-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Have you seen a movie produced about porphyria patients in the last 10 years that has not included animosity against other porphyria classes' clans as a theme?

Twilight is no different. It has both sides of the porphyria condition.

On a more serious note, when people pick "teams" they are essentially choosing whether they want the vampires or the werewolves to have Deadface McDeadeyes part of their family. The vampires are shown to be dangerous creatures that can kill her at any second but try to practice restraint (a failed attempt at dealing with with the challenges of one's nature and facing adversity - regular themes when the story was created), and the werewolves are shown to be loving protectors of the land bent on cleansing the danger of vampires. The story then involves themes such as proof that the vampires didn't get to choose who they are, and that the judgement placed upon them should not be indicative of the history associated with them, but to reflect the resolve with which they deal with their personal turmoil.

That's why teens usually side with team vampire. Pure psychological gimmick. And that's why older viewers tend to side with team werewolf. I mean, anyone with half a fucking brain would realize nature always beats nurture.

mjmacky
03-10-2012, 06:35 PM
This has resulted in me learning of the series, which I really didn't want to do. Worst of all, I work with porphyrins, and you've fucking perverted that. I'm going to dedicate the next month to making you dead to me.

Quarterquack
03-10-2012, 08:08 PM
This has resulted in me learning of the series, which I really didn't want to do. Worst of all, I work with porphyrins, and you've fucking perverted that. I'm going to dedicate the next month to making you dead to me.

I'm printing this post and framing it.

Also, I'm getting closer to identifying you. There aren't many labs in the world that work with prophyrins. I actually did a summer job in one of them. One positive out of 300 tests. Before I worked there I really did think that doctors think of porphyrias last, right beneath lead poisoning. :shifty:

mjmacky
03-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Also, I'm getting closer to identifying you.

You can try, but I'm working on a collaborative project and haven't yet published under a primary authorship (as it is unfinished). Basically that adds infinitum back into the equation.

ELJOKER
03-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Harry Potter

nntpjunkie
03-23-2012, 06:12 PM
that is a no brainer - Harry Potter all day long, the quiddich matches are the bomb :-)

hjsq
03-23-2012, 11:54 PM
I like Harry Potter more. I think twilight is b****it

log
03-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Harry Potter

rikdegraaff
03-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Harry potter for sure.
Never read or saw anything about the twilight series.

speedcardi
03-28-2012, 05:39 PM
harry potter is way better

IdolEyes787
03-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I like Harry Potter more. I think twilight is b****it

Someone please help me out and fill in the apostrophes with the same number of letters to make an actual word so that I will know what he meant.

hatemmonir
04-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Harry Potter is better

TrObAs
04-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Harry potter was one of the movies that involved magic and had cool cpecial effects for that!!

IdolEyes787
04-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Harry potter was one of the movies that involved magic and had cool cpecial effects for that!!

Twilight was one the the movies that involved vampires and werewolves and had cool special effects for that.:unsure:

shaman0032000
04-05-2012, 01:01 PM
harry potter love magic better than vampires and werewolfs

mjmacky
04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
harry potter love magic better than vampires and werewolfs

You probably love sniffing glue more than anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9pkhp_SSr8

Exam_Papers
04-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Twilight Saga is better then Harry Potter.
Harry Potter is just for kids and who is kid will definitely enjoy this movie.

kanchan345
04-13-2012, 05:51 AM
I still like harry potter from my childhood.i cant compare harry potter with twilight.because twilight is nothing towards harry potter.

gon69
04-27-2012, 07:11 PM
HP is far better. Twilight's plot is just elemental characteristics of fictional mythological creatures blended with tacky dialogue, and a werewolf and a vamp fighting for some gash.

cliffwill88
04-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Harry Potter, preferably. Much better than twilight.

ckrit
04-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Lord of the Rings.

SelfMadeMMAn
04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
The entire storyline of Harry Potter is amazing.I love horror, but romanticizing Vampires like that is unaccteptable

IdolEyes787
04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
The entire storyline of Harry Potter is amazing.I love horror, but romanticizing Vampires like that is unaccteptable

The whole concept behind vampirism is that it's a metaphor for sex.
In terms of most of Western civilizations introduction to the vampire ,Bram Stoker's Dracula is awash with this idea.
Actually most "horror" originated as metaphor and it's a quite recent development to strip it down to just mindless killing to allow certain members of society their perverse thrills.

Artemis
04-30-2012, 06:00 PM

In terms of most of Western civilizations introduction to the vampire ,Bram Stoker's Dracula is awash with this idea.
Actually most "horror" originated as metaphor and it's a quite recent development to strip it down to just mindless killing to allow certain members of society their perverse thrills.

In this one case the fictional 'Dracula' (Son of the Dragon) had a very real historical counterpart, Vlad Die Tepes Otherwise known as Vlad the impaler. The real man was far worse than his fictional counterpart because he impaled thousands of 'traitors' (real or imagined) from his subjects and his enemies. But in many ways he was a shrewd warrior, his was an isolated military outpost, Wallachia was easily and frequently attacked, he made the cost of attack a very grave one for his enemies.

mjmacky
04-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Not originally no. I once took a semester long course on vampires, but I really don't want to get into that right now, or ever.

All I can say is that I took the course for my interest in Slavic culture. The professor designed the course to try to trick more people to sign up for what was essentially a retooled Slavic culture class. I found the vampire lens rather pointless and counterproductive, but he did manage to bring in and and bore a room full of fat girls dressed in goth.

IdolEyes787
04-30-2012, 07:00 PM

Not originally no. I once took a semester long course on vampires, but I really don't want to get into that right now, or ever.

All I can say is that I took the course for my interest in Slavic culture. The professor designed the course to try to trick more people to sign up for what was essentially a retooled Slavic culture class. I found the vampire lens rather pointless and counterproductive, but he did manage to bring in and and bore a room full of fat girls dressed in goth.

I'm impressed that you managed to write that without saying that the course sucked.

Also you're probably going to say that the origin had something to do with trying to explain some aspect of death but as I think about sex constantly and about death very little (and then mostly when it applies to you) I like my theory better.:)

mjmacky
05-01-2012, 07:01 AM
I'm impressed that you managed to write that without saying that the course sucked.

Also you're probably going to say that the origin had something to do with trying to explain some aspect of death but as I think about sex constantly and about death very little (and then mostly when it applies to you) I like my theory better.:)

But I like Slavic culture.

The modern vampire has really aggregated a mass of different perspectives and is mostly based on literary depictions. Of course the origins always have the component of death, but it also has heavy themes of spiritualism, superstition and the explanation of unexplained phenomenon. What was interesting about the course was reading about historical situations where people actually thought they existed, much like witches. Even more interesting was to see the notion survived into the 20th century, there was an article in the Srpski knijizevni glasnik (1923) by Čajkanović about vamps in Serbia.

The romanticization of vampires is recent, and the homosexualization of it is a very very recent thing.

IdolEyes787
05-01-2012, 10:44 AM
The romanticization of vampires is recent, and the homosexualization of it is a very very recent thing.

I blame the internet for turning young people ghey.Actually that's not my original idea ,I took a University course on it so it has to be fact.
Sort of like if I read it in a newspaper.

Artemis
05-01-2012, 10:47 AM

But I like Slavic culture.

The modern vampire has really aggregated a mass of different perspectives and is mostly based on literary depictions. Of course the origins always have the component of death, but it also has heavy themes of spiritualism, superstition and the explanation of unexplained phenomenon. What was interesting about the course was reading about historical situations where people actually thought they existed, much like witches. Even more interesting was to see the notion survived into the 20th century, there was an article in the Srpski knijizevni glasnik (1923) by Čajkanović about vamps in Serbia.

I was actually discussing this the other day, well I was discussing witches the other day, or how women who were herbalists and natural healers were a threat to the power of the church, and the churches answer to break this power was to brand them as witches. Thus virtually all of the witch trials were politically motivated, to remove a competing healing practice. The logic behind some of the interrogation techniques was unique too. Take the dunking chair: the accused was strapped in the chair and immersed in water for 5 minutes, if she drowned she was innocent, if she floated she was a witch and was burned at the stake..... bit of a Hobson's choice that one. :idunno:

IdolEyes787
05-01-2012, 11:11 AM
I know MBM likes this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

mjmacky
05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
I was actually discussing this the other day, well I was discussing witches the other day, or how women who were herbalists and natural healers were a threat to the power of the church, and the churches answer to break this power was to brand them as witches. Thus virtually all of the witch trials were politically motivated, to remove a competing healing practice. The logic behind some of the interrogation techniques was unique too. Take the dunking chair: the accused was strapped in the chair and immersed in water for 5 minutes, if she drowned she was innocent, if she floated she was a witch and was burned at the stake..... bit of a Hobson's choice that one. :idunno:

The church of course got involved with vampires as well.

IdolEyes787
05-01-2012, 12:42 PM
The church of course got involved with vampires as well.
And thank God too.I seriously don't know what we would do without the Crosses and Holy Water.

SBI-boy
05-09-2012, 02:31 AM
I don't like both but I think twilight is better

mjmacky
05-09-2012, 04:49 AM
I don't like both but I think twilight is better

Sorry, that's the wrong choice whilst disliking both.

comando
05-10-2012, 12:10 AM
harry potter own that thing of a movie any time of the day

Artemis
05-10-2012, 04:27 AM
harry potter own that thing of a movie any time of the day

Maybe I should give you my signature as a reward for such an insightful essay comparing the various pros and cons of the two franchises. You have truly opened my eyes. :blink:

megabyteme
05-10-2012, 08:13 AM
I know MBM likes this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

I use it as a standard for punishing my children. :happy:

As for the vampire topic, my wife wrote a narrative criticism about them for her master's thesis. Modern people want it all- beauty, strength, wealth, experiences, eternal life, (high school aged girls :pinch: ) and don't want to have to lose their soul, or even feed on humans. Vampires are no longer something that lives alone in a dark, dingy crypt/castle, but wanders freely and is mostly (there's always an internal struggle, right?) enviable.

stplayahtn
06-09-2012, 06:09 PM
LOL @ Comparing these 2 franchises.

Its like asking which Star Wars trilogy you prefer.

bharatholsaf
05-16-2013, 07:00 AM
LOL @ Comparing these 2 franchises.

Its like asking which Star Wars trilogy you prefer.

Exactly, its like comparing apples w/t oranges.

linos
05-28-2013, 12:33 PM
harry potter is best than twilight

olloboy
06-08-2013, 04:49 AM
both of the movie is violent but i like twilight

Vestibule
06-08-2013, 05:04 AM
...both of the movie... epitomized the decline of western civilization through the strained lens of pop culture...