PDA

View Full Version : Christopher "moot" poole – 4chan

Mr. Mulder
11-29-2010, 09:45 AM

Created the site 4chan (http://www.4chan.org/) in his New York City bedroom at the age of 15 in 2003, subsequently posting on the site using the pseudonym "moot". He intended the site to be a place to discuss Japanese comics and anime, but it soon morphed into something far bigger. The Wall Street Journal revealed moot's real-world identity in 2008.

What is 4chan?
4chan is an image-centric bulletin board. It's based on a Japanese site called Futaba. Their code was publicly available so I downloaded a copy of their source code and translated the text from Japanese to English from an online resource. It's me, a handful of volunteer moderators and a part-time developer. For a site that has more than 10 million users and 700 million page impressions, most people are shocked to discover that it's not a company, it's not an operation, it's our hobby.

How has it evolved?
All of its growth has been organic. We've never advertised the site; it's been word-of-mouth. Now our traffic is about 12 million unique visitors per month. Part of the way it spread is because the images that are posted lend themselves naturally to be shared via IM [instant messaging], chat or email. People see a funny or provocative image, send it to their friends, and their friends come to 4chan. The community has a very distinct culture and language, and it's responsible for creating and propagating internet memes like lolcats [amusing pictures of cats] and Rickrolling (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK2tWVj6lXw) [a prank involving the video for the 1987 Rick Astley song "Never Gonna Give You Up"]. As that started to trickle out into the mainstream… all of a sudden, it's not just something spread as word-of-mouth by 18- to 25-year-old video game nerds; it's hit mainstream consciousness.

The site is distinctive because users can post material anonymously, and some users have also organised themselves as a collective, using the name "Anonymous". What does that actually mean?
As recently as six years ago, people were used to forums where you could lurk, you could view, but in order to post and participate, you had to register. Because you didn't need to register on 4chan, people started to appreciate it, and realise how radically different it was. We began to see anonymity not just as an aspect or feature, but as a thing, as a principle, as an idea that we are one, we are a collective, we are Anonymous. People then came to the site who not only saw Anonymous as a principle, but started to exploit anonymity as a new platform where they could be rebellious and no one knew who they were.
"Anonymous" started a protest movement against the practices of the Church of Scientology two years ago. Were you complicit in their activities?
I didn't start 4chan as an outlet for dissenting voices and freedom of speech. At first the community was so tame. But as it became less tame, I felt there was something there worth protecting. The rise of social networking is an assault on the free, the open, the anonymous web. I started to appreciate that 4chan is one of the last bastions of freedom online. Anonymity – including anonymous posting – is something to be protected. 4chan is very privileged to be one of the last places for this type of discourse, for this type of interaction. That's important. That's why I've decided to be hands-off and to protect it as a place, and to deliver a platform.

Why?
Anonymity allows you to express and view opinions, images you wouldn't necessarily be comfortable with elsewhere. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to be negative. It's not about, "You can't say fuck on Facebook but you can on 4chan." Services where you have a persistent, registered identity such as Twitter and Facebook – in many cases it's your real identity – limit what users want to say and read. But you can on 4chan. It is an outlet. I was invited to speak at Facebook to provide an alternative and opposite perspective to theirs. Mark Zuckerberg's point of view is that anonymity and monikers and pseudo-identity represents cowardice. He said that if you have nothing to hide, what's the big deal? Why would you be concerned about putting all this stuff on your profile? Well, I'm not a zealot and people like what Facebook is doing. But there is a place for both. They both offer powerful utilities for different needs. The world still needs a Google, and Facebook. But it also needs the anonymous, ephemeral, open 4chan.

Are there any rules?
There is a set of codified rules and we do enforce them: don't break the law or post anything illegal. Past that, the users are left to their own devices.

Mr. Mulder
11-29-2010, 09:47 AM
i used to frequent it but got tired of looking at images of people shitting on cocks :blink:

ziggyjuarez
11-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Was on it for 3 days straight years ago and have stayed away since.I hear its dead now.

iLOVENZB
11-29-2010, 10:37 AM
/b/ <-- I don't get it.

Barbarossa
11-29-2010, 03:36 PM
I thought images of underage girls sticking pens and shit in their cunts was illegal :dabs:

cinephilia
12-01-2010, 08:14 PM
http://imgur.com/9ixuM.jpg

Mr. Mulder
12-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Another member of m00p...

Computer expert jailed after hacking victims' webcams

Matthew Anderson accessed personal data and photographs after sending out millions of virus-infected emails

Anderson, 33, was a key member of the 'm00p' international hacker gang. Photograph: Dominic Lipinski/PA A computer hacker who took control of his victims' webcams was jailed for 18 months today.
Matthew Anderson, 33, was a key member of an international gang who abused his skills as a computer security expert to target businesses and individuals with spam containing hidden viruses.
He accessed highly personal data and photographs in a sophisticated email (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/email) scam from his mother's front room, taking control of some victim's webcams remotely to see inside their homes, at one point boasting to a friend that he made a teenage girl cry by doing so.

Files he saved on his own computer included webcam images of a girl in school uniform, a family photograph of a mother and her newborn baby in hospital and intimate pictures of a sexual nature.
Anderson, who admitted an offence under the Computer Misuse Act, appeared at Southwark crown court in central London.
Sentencing, Judge Geoffrey Rivlin QC said Anderson's offending was on an "almost unimaginable scale".
"Whilst you may not have been engaged in fraud, it is fair to say that in an age in which computers play such an important part in the lives of so many people and businesses, an offence of this nature inevitably raises great concern and consternation," he said.

He added: "Conduct of this kind must be deterred. Plainly only a custodial sentence is justified for an offence of this nature."
Anderson, from Keith, Banffshire, Scotland, also saved CVs, wills and confidential medical reportsRivlin said Anderson would have faced a jail sentence twice as long had he committed the offences under the most recent law, the Police and Justice Act 2006.

Anderson, who told another friend his scam would "hit the news big time", was caught after an investigation by Scotland Yard and authorities in Finland into a gang writing computer viruses to order.
Investigators discovered that the so-called m00p group was infecting computers using viruses attached to unsolicited commercial emails.
Davies said they were "at the cutting edge of international viral emails of this sort", describing Anderson as being "part of the top-end international hacking (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/hacking) community".
Simon Ward, defending, said in court that Anderson joined online chatrooms after being left housebound by panic attacks in his early 20s.
He said he had been motivated by "the feeling of power that comes from the knowledge that you have control over something that others don't know you have the control of".
He said Anderson had been a "foolish young man" but had now matured and had the support of his partner, who sat in the public gallery for the hearing.
Anderson was told he would serve half of his 18-month sentence, and was ordered to pay £5,000 costs.

The judge commended the "major" police investigation in court, saying it was "conducted to the highest standard".

In October, Anderson pleaded guilty to one charge of causing unauthorised modifications to the contents of computers between September 2005 and June 2006.
The offence was committed when Anderson was on bail for attacking the computer systems of the British National Party and the Countryside Alliance.

ziggyjuarez
12-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I was thinking about taking a picture with my web cam showing my butt cheeks saying "Look he even voyeur'd this picture of my big brown ass" but i cant find the cam:dabs:

Cabalo
12-02-2010, 01:30 PM

Matthew Anderson accessed personal data and photographs after sending out millions of virus-infected emails

Sexy haircut... :sleep:

IdolEyes787
12-02-2010, 02:02 PM

Anderson, 33, was a key member of the 'm00p' international hacker gang. Photograph: Dominic Lipinski/PA A computer hacker who took control of his victims' webcams was jailed for 18 months today.
Matthew Anderson, 33, was a key member of an international gang who abused his skills as a computer security expert to target businesses and individuals with spam containing hidden viruses.
He accessed highly personal data and photographs in a sophisticated email (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/email) scam from his mother's front room, taking control of some victim's webcams remotely to see inside their homes, at one point boasting to a friend that he made a teenage girl cry by doing so.

Files he saved on his own computer included webcam images of a girl in school uniform, a family photograph of a mother and her newborn baby in hospital and intimate pictures of a sexual nature.
Anderson, who admitted an offence under the Computer Misuse Act, appeared at Southwark crown court in central London.
Sentencing, Judge Geoffrey Rivlin QC said Anderson's offending was on an "almost unimaginable scale".
"Whilst you may not have been engaged in fraud, it is fair to say that in an age in which computers play such an important part in the lives of so many people and businesses, an offence of this nature inevitably raises great concern and consternation," he said.

He added: "Conduct of this kind must be deterred. Plainly only a custodial sentence is justified for an offence of this nature."
Anderson, from Keith, Banffshire, Scotland, also saved CVs, wills and confidential medical reportsRivlin said Anderson would have faced a jail sentence twice as long had he committed the offences under the most recent law, the Police and Justice Act 2006.

Anderson, who told another friend his scam would "hit the news big time", was caught after an investigation by Scotland Yard and authorities in Finland into a gang writing computer viruses to order.
Investigators discovered that the so-called m00p group was infecting computers using viruses attached to unsolicited commercial emails.
Davies said they were "at the cutting edge of international viral emails of this sort", describing Anderson as being "part of the top-end international hacking (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/hacking) community".
Simon Ward, defending, said in court that Anderson joined online chatrooms after being left housebound by panic attacks in his early 20s.
He said he had been motivated by "the feeling of power that comes from the knowledge that you have control over something that others don't know you have the control of".
He said Anderson had been a "foolish young man" but had now matured and had the support of his partner, who sat in the public gallery for the hearing.
Anderson was told he would serve half of his 18-month sentence, and was ordered to pay £5,000 costs.

The judge commended the "major" police investigation in court, saying it was "conducted to the highest standard".

In October, Anderson pleaded guilty to one charge of causing unauthorised modifications to the contents of computers between September 2005 and June 2006.
The offence was committed when Anderson was on bail for attacking the computer systems of the British National Party and the Countryside Alliance.

Not doing the right thing and using your hacking skills to steal money is the true offense here.
Btw just guessing but I'd hazard that anything the authorities do to him can't possibly make his life any worse than it already is.

megabyteme
12-02-2010, 09:43 PM
They could make him serve his sentence with ziggy...

ziggyjuarez
12-03-2010, 03:48 PM
As i remember manker used to hack peoples web cams all the time.Along with other things of course.Maybe thats where he went.