PDA

View Full Version : Full Windows 7 Customization

snap3r
11-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Just found this awesome piece of software to change my windows 7 theme.
Its called custopack.
Here is a demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jbwcavsZxo

Easy to install and to use.You can even create your own theme to fit you :D
http://www.custopack.com/

Cabalo
11-29-2010, 03:42 PM
How much of a resource hog is it?
What's the additional toll its process takes on the CPU and RAM ?

whatcdfan
11-29-2010, 06:41 PM
How much of a resource hog is it?
What's the additional toll its process takes on the CPU and RAM ?

exactly the first question came to my mind.................any idea?
looks very good indeed

snap3r
11-29-2010, 11:34 PM
After installing and getting a refresh on my dll's windows ran faster than before.Dont confuse it with windowblinds where the software stays on for the theme to work or some other software that consumes resources.This will change your windows look and thats it.The software included is used to restore your original theme and create others.Yes u can create your own theme with it and submit it to they site.Its not very popular yet so no that manny themes to chose from but its stable and easy to use.
Theres a review here ...
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/CustoPack-Tools-Review-162990.shtml

Cabalo
11-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the explanation. So this doesn't run additional processes on the background then.
If it's like that, I'll give it a try.

snap3r
11-30-2010, 02:05 AM
Only if your theme comes with rocketdock but u can chose not to install it.

byrnesc1
11-30-2010, 03:45 AM
just checking this out now, very cool. Kind of off topic but, which dock program, if any, do you guys prefer and why? I'm currently running rocketdock and don't mind it but wouldn't mind switching if there were a different program that used less resources or something.

EDIT:theres seriously only 6 packs available so far?

whatcdfan
11-30-2010, 06:32 AM
there arent many themes avail right now>i will wait for some more to show up

snap3r
12-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Yes thats why im trying to get more ppl to use it.Maybe some have talent for creating themes.

bozx
12-04-2010, 06:00 PM
i have enough resource to blow...... i7 930.... doesn't mater how much it sucks juice....

Cabalo
12-04-2010, 06:20 PM
i have enough resource to blow...... i7 930.... doesn't mater how much it sucks juice....

Who cares? Did it contribute with anything to this thread?

Joecamelme
12-15-2010, 01:25 AM
I have programs that do most of this, but this seems to integrate them all into one program. Very cool!
I'll be checking this out. My only concern is possible registry errors. Either way, thanks for the link.

anon
12-15-2010, 02:25 AM
I got a netbook with Windows 7 some days ago, and can't format the hard disk and install MicroXP on it yet, so after some testing I'd like to recommend two tweaking apps - Yamicsoft's Windows 7 Manager, and SMART 1.2a. The former is an all-in-one suit to tweak the OS, remove useless files, customize the way things appear, and so on. It's shareware, but that's not a problem for us. :P

The latter is a tiny service tweaker. It'll let you easily disable and re-enable services, and offers different presets you can try to turn useless ones off and gain some RAM. I used the advanced one, and despite all the warnings about not doing it if I wasn't familiar with all services, I haven't had any issues.

Cabalo
12-15-2010, 02:26 AM
Why can't you format the HDD? :eyebrows:
It was the first thing I did to mine. Ubuntu since then, happy as a puppy.

anon
12-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Reasons that are beyond revelance. (I got it as part of some government plan, and reformatting will trigger the hardware-based theft deterrent, which disables the computer entirely as it starts itself before the BIOS even does...)

Cabalo
12-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Reasons that are beyond revelance. (I got it as part of some government plan, and reformatting will trigger the hardware-based theft deterrent, which disables the computer entirely as it starts itself before the BIOS even does...)

It's the first time I ever heard about that. :mellow:
No workarounds yet? As in flashing that chip or some modded bios ?

anon
12-15-2010, 02:49 AM
The theft deterrent is supposed to be able to tell when people have tried to tamper with the chip, or at least so they say. If there's a modded BIOS to bypass the check, then I don't know about it yet, but they passworded the current one, so that may mean there are some interesting settings hidden there.

All I know is what I've posted, plus that certificates are somehow involved. For obvious reasons, they don't want to tell too much about the system. It does have a Windows app to control it, though - here's a screenie:
http://thumbnails20.imagebam.com/11094/81c9ab110935249.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/81c9ab110935249)

Anyway, it's not a big issue for me. In a couple of months, I'll be able to request a full unlock, and so gain the ability to do whatever I want with the machine. :)

Cabalo
12-15-2010, 03:36 AM
I suppose a CMOS reset wouldn't clear the password and give you BIOS access?

anon
12-15-2010, 03:48 AM
I've researched a bit, and CMOS resetting here is far from being as easy as in desktop PCs. You had to flash the EEPROM or something, and I don't want to risk losing the whole netbook for that. I couldn't get any CMOS password reader to work, either. :(