PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good ebook reader, eink, pirate friendly

Expeto
12-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I have been leeching the ebook reader of my roommate for a while, recently I decided to buy one for myself, but I'm not sure which one to buy. I'm willing do converting to get my stuff to work with the device if necessary.
Are the last generation kindles are any good?

Quarterquack
12-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I'd advise you to hold off for now. Color E-Ink technology is right around the corner, I'd say Q1/2 2011, not to mention other technologies like PixelQI aim to provide a fuller experience on tablets (like the NotionInk Adam). If you are adamant on buying one right now, I'd recommend the Sony Reader Touch Edition. It's small/portable, and is extremely pirate friendly. No Kindle book deleting schemes or any problems of the sort, it has a ton more features and is even cheaper.

VictorRudenko
12-12-2010, 09:03 PM
I disagree on holding off on buying an ereader. Now is a GREAT TIME to buy one. ringhunter is right that color ebook readers are next and around the corner but these will be 1st generation products. I doubt they will have vibrant colors, fast refresh rates, and excellent battery cycles.

I would suggest any latest generation black and white reader. The current Kindle is only $139 new no tax and it has the updated Pearl e-ink display. No matter what brand you buy you can download the free software Calibre to manage and best of all convert any ebook format to any format you need. I assume it works on the Kindle. The Sony Touch series is very expensive compared to the Kindle/Nook. The Nook (refurb) was on sale from B&N on ebay for $99 for some time. It may pop up again.

If you want color now then you could look into the Nook Color which actually has an LCD screen and not e-ink technology.

Good luck.

IdolEyes787
12-12-2010, 09:19 PM
I'd advise you to hold off for now. Color E-Ink technology is right around the corner, I'd say Q1/2 2011, not to mention other technologies like PixelQI aim to provide a fuller experience on tablets (like the NotionInk Adam). If you are adamant on buying one right now, I'd recommend the Sony Reader Touch Edition. It's small/portable, and is extremely pirate friendly. No Kindle book deleting schemes or any problems of the sort, it has a ton more features and is even cheaper.

I just went through all the trouble of getting on which one to get my sister for Christmas .What ringhunter said about holding off is somewhat true except for the part about the colour screen .unless you as planning on using it to read a lot of books with illustrations there really isn't any point.
Other than that nothing is perfect what which propriety shit on kindle and such. Things to consider kindle is well built , so's the sony being metal but the sony's more over-priced . With the kindle if you are the least bit saavy you just use calibre to get around the DRM or whatever it's called. Even if you don't get kindle with it's current free 3G network ( you're I'm assuming not going to be buying much off Amazon) install calibre since it's the most fantastic progress to sort , upload to your e-reader, convert and relabel stuff.
You can even change covers to whatever you like.

Anyway everyone seems to have a different opinion on what's best , lots of people favour the nook , just avoid back-lighting like on an iPad because it's not what you want for reading especially in sunlight.

Btw living in Canada I got my sister a Kobo .Generally a piece of junk but she doesn't pirate and wants to use the library ( even though the waiting lists are as bad as for regular books) which unless you want to go to a bunch of trouble with you can't with the kindle .
Anyway I've just spent 2 days putting the entire New Times best seller list ( Hard and soft cover , fiction and non-fiction plus kids) plus the 100 top books of the year off of Amazon for her so she won't need to worry about anything in the near future .

Detale
12-12-2010, 11:07 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this but if it fits the budget go for an iPad. It's very pirate friendly once jailbroken and it really works out well as an E-reader amongst other toys :)

Expeto
12-14-2010, 06:15 PM
@Detale I can't believe you are saying that too...

I'm not very interested in color content, I will probably go ahead and buy one. Kindle sounds great, yet I still have my doubts about buying a reader from a company who earn money by charging ebook. Amazon might add security against the pirated content in future. Yet still its pretty cheap and its linux based just like any ebook readers. I'm pretty sure there is at least millions way to get it work with my files.

Thanks for all for , specially the IdolEyes' post was very helpful.

I'm not in hurry so I would like to hear more about what other people think about kindle
I'm thinking about buying this one => http://www.amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-3G-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002LVUWFE/ref=amb_link_158589747_1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1CVXDMJGBRYSVDTAYREV&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=222157347&pf_rd_i=B002Y27P46)

Detale
12-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I know I know, but seriously the thing is great. I'm still against most apple products especially their computers, but the iPad and iPod touch 4g I have are both amazing products once jailbroken. I have had some minor experience with the nook and from what I have read you can install the android OS on it fairly easily and get apps and such. You don't think you'll want color until you have it man. Also don't worry so much about format of book. Their is an AMAZING free program called Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) that will convert anything to anything. It also keeps your books organized and again it's free!