PDA

View Full Version : Opera 11's out

anon
12-16-2010, 08:46 PM
And it has extensions. :O

Get it here (http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?id=33345&thanks=true&sub=true), read the changelog here (http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/), and/or get your extensions here (https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/).

These are my picks so far:

Download Helper - makes the process of downloading from certain OCHs somewhat easier
FastestTube - I find built-in video downloading functionality better
NotScripts - much better than the BlockIt user script
Popup Statusbar - a good screen space saver for my netbook
Redirect Bypasser - to avoid dereferers (given I have disabled HTTP referers entirely) and do things faster
Turn Off The Lights

Slickerey
12-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Too bad no browser other than Google Chrome has a process separation feature.

anon
12-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Too bad no browser other than Google Chrome has a process separation feature.

Imageshack seems to have a great capacity to crash and close all your Chrome tabs, regardless of that feature. At least, in Chromium beta builds. :blink:

Quarterquack
12-16-2010, 10:05 PM
^ The same with adobe reader. Shit software.

Slickerey
12-16-2010, 11:17 PM
I don't use Chromium. I just disable everything Google-related in Chrome.

I went on ImageShack using Chrome while browsing several other sites at the same time. I did it for five minutes and nothing happened.

Proof: http://lookpic.com/c1/i2/3623/F73Odxx6.png

anon
12-16-2010, 11:19 PM
I went on ImageShack using Chrome while browsing several other sites at the same time. I did it for five minutes and nothing happened.

Proof: http://lookpic.com/c1/i2/3623/F73Odxx6.png

Must be an issue with the Chromium beta versions, then. I used those because I heard it's a bit decrapified compared with the official Chrome. :)

Cabalo
12-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Here: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome

They are basically the same. No extra crap on chrome. On Ubuntu I do use Chromium due to a too-geeky-to-bother-explaining documented bug, which affects me on Chrome.

anon
12-17-2010, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the link. According that page, they're pretty much the same, when it comes to tracking and such. Since I use Chrome sometimes, I was looking for an alternative to Iron (which hadn't been updated in a long while), and someone proposed Chromium. :idunno:

bijoy
12-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Well, looks like I've to look at opera.. Ignored it for many years, and its right time for me to test it.

snap3r
12-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Installed it ... tested it and its much better than before.They copied allot from chome but thats not a bad thing.Still it doesnt have regular bookmark bar like firefox or even chrome although for firefox i use smart bookmark bar :) so i dont think im gonna change my browser soon and with firefox 4 almost here maybe never :D

anon
12-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Well, looks like I've to look at opera.. Ignored it for many years, and its right time for me to test it.

If you need any help setting it up, just tell me :)

Still it doesnt have regular bookmark bar like firefox or even chrome

What do you mean with "regular bookmark bar"? Opera does have a bookmark bar where you can drop your most visited sites.

manijhon
12-18-2010, 06:43 AM
I Installed It & It,s Very Good

anon
12-18-2010, 04:48 PM
I Installed It

Yeah, I'm sure you did.

Slickerey
12-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I'm sure you did.

:lol:

I haven't tried Opera in a long time... What's so special about it?

anon
12-18-2010, 10:22 PM
I haven't tried Opera in a long time... What's so special about it?

Well, it has just about every feature you'd ever want, it's easy to use, stable, and fast. Back when I first installed it in 2006 it was significantly faster than IE and Firefox, and nowadays it's still head-to-head with Chrome. At least that's my experience. :)

anon
12-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I think I found a glitch in the new Opera. Pin a tab, save its page as a single file and hover your cursor over that tab. It'll have unpinned itself. :P

Cabalo
12-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Maybe it's a feature! :lol:

bijoy
12-19-2010, 07:44 PM
If you need any help setting it up, just tell me :)

thanks.. but installed and workign fine for me at the present moment.

anon
12-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Maybe it's a feature! :lol:

Maybe. "Automatically unpin saved tabs so that you can easily close them". Should be made toggleable. :happy:

thanks.. but installed and workign fine for me at the present moment.

Sure, but Opera is like a torrent client in this regard - it may work out of the box, but there are numerous tweaks you can do to speed things up somewhat... anyway, let me know if you're interested.

karachidude
12-19-2010, 08:22 PM
^ The same with adobe reader. Shit software.

try Foxit Reader in its place,smaller and faster and free

Funkin'
12-20-2010, 08:44 AM
I can't believe it has extensions now. Never thought they would go that route.

elbuitre
12-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Real extensions? no widget garbage? osunds good. how's the stability with extensions? and... what's your OS.

anon
12-23-2010, 12:39 AM
how's the stability with extensions?

As good as always, apparently - tested on Windows XP SP3 and 7. :)

fox92
12-23-2010, 07:00 AM
has the facebook issue been resolved? Every Opera version was not compatible with fb, atleast for me it wasn't.

anon
12-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Every Opera version was not compatible with fb, atleast for me it wasn't.

Opera has always been compatible with Facebook here, or at least back when I had an account there. Some of my friends have been using Opera on Facebook all this year with no issues.

Slickerey
12-23-2010, 07:34 PM
As good as always, apparently - tested on Windows XP SP3 and 7. :)

I've tried 7 many times in the past but never got used to it. I customized the living hell out of it to try and make it faster and once got about twenty processes on idle.

anon
12-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I customized the living hell out of it to try and make it faster and once got about twenty processes on idle.

That's awesome - my Windows 7 install is in my netbook and even after heavy tweaking I can't get it to run less than 35 processes when idle... :blink:

That's why I plan to format and install MicroXP on it as soon as I can. That's what I use in my desktop PC (where I'm typing this from), and it's running just 22 processes with all my stuff open.

Slickerey
12-23-2010, 08:43 PM
...And that's why I love Windows XP. :P

My desktop PC uses only 16 processes on idle (without uTorrent or IDM open). :happy:

Cabalo
12-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Again this talk about running processes. You should check a standard Ubuntu instalation for running processes and then you'd see.
As since Vista the services aren't invoked via svchost, which would cause kernel crashes on Windows XP, this does not happen on windows 7.
FYI, on my Asus EEEPC 901, single core, a Windows 7 default install is much faster than a Windows XP one. All those who still defend such a flawed and outdated OS like XP should really pay more attention to what's going on around them. Not even the excuse "Windows Vista is too much of a resource hog on my old computer" is valid any more. Windows 7 blows away XP on performance, paging, kernel, memory management, and so much more it would need an entire board just to get through all of that.

anon
12-24-2010, 03:44 AM
For me, less processes equals more memory available to the rest of the system, which I think we'll agree is good. I can't comment on kernel crashes and the like, but I've never had any major issues with XP. Maybe I'm a bit of a stubborn "what the hell, it works for me" user. :idunno: Your points are valid, however.

After reading your post, I do kind of feel like giving Tiny7 a second chance, though. Maybe I'll like it this time. :lol: Jokes aside, I've seen a lot of things on Windows 7 (in the netbook), that I do like.

Slickerey
12-25-2010, 01:45 AM
*cough* Super bar *cough*

Cabalo
12-25-2010, 05:43 AM
For me, less processes equals more memory available to the rest of the system, which I think we'll agree is good. I can't comment on kernel crashes and the like, but I've never had any major issues with XP. Maybe I'm a bit of a stubborn "what the hell, it works for me" user. :idunno: Your points are valid, however.

After reading your post, I do kind of feel like giving Tiny7 a second chance, though. Maybe I'll like it this time. :lol: Jokes aside, I've seen a lot of things on Windows 7 (in the netbook), that I do like.

Stay the fuck away from Tiny7. It's a major piece of shit. Try to install .NET framework (which many apps require) and other plugins. It's completely broken, its network and sharing center isn't able to do many otherwise simple tasks, and there's more. It was a nightmare.

anon
12-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the tip-off. Do you know any other "lite" Windows 7 editions that work fine, or should I grab vLite/RT7Lite and make my own?

Cabalo
12-25-2010, 06:00 AM
No, and I've looked. If you want to tweak a W7 installation, I suggest to focus on the services.msc and the filesystem. Leave the components there.

Windows XP performance sucks, with it refusing to use the available RAM and instead increasing disk access (which is the major bottleneck in any system, unless you are on SSD).
Seriously, what's the point of having RAM, if it just sits there idle? RAM is supposed to be used, not the frigging HDD.
So, I've gone the easy way and installed Ubuntu 10.10 Meerkat.

Much faster than XP and even Windows 7, doesn't lack a single feature I need. As I don't use my netbook for gaming, I don't miss DX. Besides, if I need some particular application that can't be replaced, there's always good old Wine, which has gone a long way to become a serious must-have component on any UNIX system. It has FF, Chrome/Chromium and Opera.

anon
12-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Okies, thank you once again for the help. :) I have already tweaked those two in the installation that came with my netbook, but I feel it wouldn't hurt to reinstall while preventing the components I don't use from being copied to the disk to begin with. I'm grabbing an untouched Windows 7 Ultimate ISO as we speak, and I plan to look on how to modify it to suit my needs tomorrow (or more exactly, later today).

Never really had the issue you mention with XP in my PC, most likely due to the fact I have 1.5GB of RAM and disabled the paging file altogether. I have seen it happen in other computers, though.

I've also heard a lot of good things about Ubuntu, such as the ones you stated, but I don't know shit about Linux, or at least I'm not as familiar with it as with Windows. Maybe one day... :D

Slickerey
12-25-2010, 06:58 PM
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-Utilities-*
http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

Those links contain helpful tutorials. I used them to tweak my last Windows 7 install. I didn't need things like Print Spooler or Home Groups. :P

Cabalo
12-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I have used that black viper's reference for my individual installations over and over. I almost recognize them all by name now.

karachidude
12-25-2010, 09:54 PM
havnt ever used opera,but i wll check it out in the future prolly,heard good things bout it