PDA

View Full Version : Damaged computer!

senegal
12-23-2010, 06:11 PM
It's my computer at work.
Today I copied 2 files(1 GB) onto the hard disk and after ~7 hours my computer has crashed. I restarted the PC but it wasn't able to access Windows.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/metro2525/DSC00576.jpg

What might be the problem?

I mean, is there any connection between this failure and copying files?

tesco
12-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Probably a coincidence.
What happens? It just sits on that loading screen or does the loading bar stop too?
You could try safe mode, hit F8 after the BIOS screen but before the windows logo pops up. If that works, system restore might bail you out.

anon
12-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Maybe you filled the HDD. :lol:

Does safe mode work?

tesco was faster. :happy:

senegal
12-23-2010, 06:35 PM
It just sits on that loading screen.
Safe mode doesn't work.

Maybe you filled the HDD. :lol:

:lol:

anon
12-23-2010, 06:43 PM
It just sits on that loading screen.
Safe mode doesn't work.

Maybe boot from a live CD and run a chkdsk from there, in case something happened to the disk?

Got any registry backups from before this problem you can revert to?

senegal
12-23-2010, 06:54 PM
i don't know. :(

Knightowl
12-24-2010, 01:48 AM
If you don't know if you have any backups then chances are that you don't.

I would recommend booting from the XP CD and do the same thing as you would to install Windows XP. Only, it should ask you to Repair your Windows XP installation instead of delete the Windows directory. Don't be afraid.. As long as there is not an option to delete/replace your Windows directory, then it will repair your XP installation.. Keeping all of your settings etc..

LubTheStaringCat
12-24-2010, 01:56 AM
How many hard drives do you have with your computer?
What type of data do you have on your drives...Is It Important.
To solve your problem, you may have to reinstall Windows again.

Expeto
12-24-2010, 11:34 AM
tried f8 and restore last working state?

anon
12-24-2010, 04:41 PM
tried f8 and restore last working state?

That may work, though it never did for me. :(

Then I learned to make an automatic registry backup every day using ERUNT. :D

Expeto
12-24-2010, 07:27 PM
it also never worked for me,

then I learned to use linux liveCD to restore my system manually from "windows/systemvolumeinfo/_restore{...}/.../snapeshot", that very same liveCD obsoleted windows for me :)

senegal, you should also use a live linux cd, and try to find that folder. Inside that folder, copy ;

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE(or USER)_DEFAULT(i guess)

to system32/config/ than you rename them by deleting prefixes. EG: rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to "software"
than do ntfsfix, which will big problems and tell windows to fix smaller ones after reboot. You might get a one or two bluescreens at next boots, just reboot again.

You might need to install NTFS3G and NTFSutils to you live cd, which will be done from a working internet connection. Installing network driver for linux is very hard and tricky, its a nice thing that linux does all the driver installs automatically at the boot :)

anon
12-24-2010, 07:36 PM
then I learned to use linux liveCD to restore my system manually from "windows/systemvolumeinfo/_restore{...}/.../snapeshot"

That will only work is system restore was enabled, right?

Appzalien
12-26-2010, 04:05 PM
I hope you didn't copy the files from a USB flash drive. USB drive infections are the newest thing, on the rise, and the experts are recommending you disable autostart so you can drag and drop what you want out of them without the flash drive kicking in and infecting your PC.

Be careful with the XP repair, there are two of them. The first one is the recovery console and can delete your data. If you skip it and go on like your going to install from scratch, a second repair option shows right after the F8 accept license when its scans and sees an OS already on the drive. That's the non-destructive repair option, and is mostly available on retail disks. It does replace your system though, and all critical updates not integrated onto a SP3 XP Disk will be removed and you have to redownload. For thst reason those who use this option oftem create their own XP SP3 with the latests criticals integrated with nlite from their original retail disk. Just don't go overboard with nlite. I integrated sata drivers on one and the second repair option disappeared. The same original disk with only criticals worked fine.

Expeto
12-27-2010, 09:30 AM
then I learned to use linux liveCD to restore my system manually from "windows/systemvolumeinfo/_restore{...}/.../snapeshot"

That will only work is system restore was enabled, right?

Technically yes. But windows XP isn't very skilled at managing system restore, at least my copy wasn't. Even with the backups and restore stuff disable I sometimes found such a restore files.

anon
12-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Technically yes. But windows XP isn't very skilled at managing system restore, at least my copy wasn't.

That's true. Even when you disable SR, the restore points' data remains there. :happy:

I prefer daily ERUNT backups, however. senegal may have to learn this the hard way.

Expeto
12-27-2010, 08:36 PM
senegal may have to learn this the hard way.
Didn't we all learned that way? ;)

Is there even another way of learning value of the backups?

anon
12-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Didn't we all learned that way? ;)

Is there even another way of learning value of the backups?

So true :yup:

clocker
12-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Two questions for senegal:

If this is a work computer, why is it up to you to fix it?

If it IS up to you to fix it, can you demand a new monitor and hardware that will support Win 7?

senegal
12-28-2010, 09:56 PM
The problem was solved.
Next day when I showed up at work, I turned on the computer and everything was just fine like nothing happened.
It might be the PC's temperature.

anon
12-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Or maybe someone was sent to clean your mess up. :lol:

If you think it's the temperature, there are countless programs to monitor it and warn you if it goes too high.

senegal
12-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Or maybe someone was sent to clean your mess up. :lol:

no, no, no!
nobody has access to my computer.

Expeto
12-29-2010, 04:39 PM
nobody has access to my computer.
So you are the guy that keeps the company secrets :)

A haxxor had broken into you office last night. He fixed you PC, just before he stole all your files.

Detale
01-02-2011, 09:42 PM
:whistling

Quarterquack
01-11-2011, 05:34 PM
ITT: Still no solution for a broken user. :(