PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here cook?

tesco
12-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Pizza.

The cheese burns, but the dough seems like it could have been cooked for about 5 minutes longer. Is the oven temp. too high, or too low? Or oven rack too high or low?

Proper Bo
12-31-2010, 07:22 PM
both.

tesco
12-31-2010, 08:01 PM
:whoosh:

bigboab
12-31-2010, 08:38 PM
High temperature and high rack - very quick but great risk of burning.

High temperature and lower rack - quicker but risky.

Lower temperature and higher rack - safer and less costly.

p.s. Bo is right. You just looked at it differently.:blink:

tesco
12-31-2010, 10:35 PM
p.s. Bo is right. You just looked at it differently.:blink:Not really. I didn't ask if one or both were wrong, I asked how they were wrong.

Thanks for your info, I will try high rack and lower temp next time.

chalice
12-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Ever thunk of getting a woman, Tesco?

enoughfakefiles
12-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Just order a ready made one :smilie4:

sm00nie
12-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Just order a ready made one :smilie4:
Woman or pizza?... Both?

Proper Bo
01-01-2011, 02:48 AM

wimmin are for gheys.
they make ewe feel emotions and stuff:ghey:

:emo:

chalice
01-01-2011, 10:25 AM

wimmin are for gheys.
they make ewe feel emotions and stuff:ghey:

Happy new year, sadsack.

brotherdoobie
01-02-2011, 06:19 PM
p.s. Bo is right. You just looked at it differently.:blink:Not really. I didn't ask if one or both were wrong, I asked how they way were they wrong.

Thanks for your info, I will try high rack and lower temp next time.

:eyebrows:

-doobs

tesco
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
oops.

Today's pizza came out much better. :happy:

iLOVENZB
01-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Glad my flat mate works at Eagle Boys, free unlimited pizza nights. I'm tempted to open a Dominoes store right next to them.

brotherdoobie
01-04-2011, 05:38 AM
Pizza is profitable.

It taste good too.

True story.

-doobs

Barbarossa
01-04-2011, 01:43 PM
WTF, can't you just order pizzas on the phone in Canaidia? :blink:

Something Else
01-04-2011, 02:01 PM
They're only allowed to smoke drugs and breed Elks or something else.

Barbarossa
01-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Moose logging was very popular, I seem to remember.

Something Else
01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
That and lumberjizzing I hear.

ScottK
01-06-2011, 05:45 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/images/smilies/eyebrows.gif

Thatsgreat
01-06-2011, 06:26 PM
I've got one word for you tesco, oregano. Makes a whole lot of difference.
The "drug-like" ingredient. You'll get better at not messing the cheese up fast, but somethings just don't come that easy.
Eventually you'll get the hang of the technique required to make that five star pizza. Keep on fighting that paste!

iLOVENZB
01-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Cinnamon <3. For some reason I'm in love with spice, I put it in everything!

tesco
01-07-2011, 10:13 PM
The "drug-like" ingredient. You'll get better at not messing the cheese up fast, but somethings just don't come that easy.
Eventually you'll get the hang of the technique required to make that five star pizza. Keep on fighting that paste!
I don't like really like oregano, I guess I should use small amounts.
Are you saying to put it on the pizza or in the dough?

Snee
01-07-2011, 10:15 PM
I'd put it in the tomato sauce. But not if I didn't like it.

tesco
01-07-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm sick of most of them. Dominoes is disgusting. Pizza Pizza is inconsistent, either undercooked or burnt. Gino's is owned by assholes. The rest are crap as well. I live in a small town...

iLOVENZB
01-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Eagle Boys (R) Bigger. Better. (TM)

clocker
01-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Cinnamon <3. For some reason I'm in love with spice, I put it in everything!
Cinnamon belongs in anything with tomato sauce/paste.
Doesn't take much and adds a lot of depth...I think it's called umami.

iLOVENZB
01-08-2011, 01:01 AM
clocker, I think you're right.

clocker
01-09-2011, 02:12 AM
BTW Ross, are you using a pizza stone?

tesco
01-09-2011, 02:35 AM
BTW Ross, are you using a pizza stone?
:lol: no, I'm not that pro...

tesco
01-09-2011, 02:39 AM
I should have asked for one for christmas. :unsure:

Do they work in the oven or are they for using in the barbeque?

clocker
01-09-2011, 04:53 AM
In the oven.
What's your dough recipe?

iLOVENZB
01-09-2011, 07:04 AM
You'll actually be surprised that there's hardly anything to pizza dough. The important factor is percentage of yeast and prooving. Flour, deepening on how much iron is in it, absorbs different ratios of water, meaning that you'll never have a constant formula for your dough.

I was talking to a CEO for a flour mill the other day about why there was a huge increase in flour before New Years. He said it's because they didn't have a good crop this year because of the floods so they had to mix 2 part good grain to 1 part shit grain. Other mills are either charging more for their flour or giving shit quality flour to their customers.

I usually get the extra dough left over after work for pizza. By the time I get it home it's rested/proved perfectly and I just need to stretch it to a tray and add my toppings.

After the amount of dough I use a day it's almost second nature the proving, resting and mixing. It's gotten to the point where I expect the apprentices to know what they're doing and have to remind myself that they're only new to the trade.

clocker
01-09-2011, 12:29 PM
So NZB, you're a baker?
BTW, it's called "proofing".

I've been into baking for a while now, it's especially challenging here at altitude and the very dry climate.
I've been perfecting my French bread recipe/technique, this morning I'm making yeasted pancakes (made the "sponge" last night).

Next Saturday I'm making pizza, so I've been looking into recipes for that.

MaxxRevs
01-09-2011, 04:00 PM
You should have set it to cook for longer on a lower temperature. Lol...how noob do you have to be to not know how to make pizza

tesco
01-09-2011, 05:04 PM
In the oven.
What's your dough recipe?
It's far from a great recipe, but a start at least.

I put one cup flour into a bowl, I add one package of quick rising yeast (not sure how much is in it probably about a tablespoon), add a small amount of salt, sugar, and oil, then add 1 cup warm water, mix until it's all smooth then add another cup of flour and mix that until the dough starts to seperate from the bowl.
I then dump the dough onto a floured cutting board and "kneed" it for a while, then stretch it and let that stand for 10 minutes before putting the toppings on.

MagicNakor
01-09-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm sick of most of them. Dominoes is disgusting. Pizza Pizza is inconsistent, either undercooked or burnt. Gino's is owned by assholes. The rest are crap as well. I live in a small town...

Give Papa Murphy's a go if there's one in your town. It's take-and-bake, so if you happen to get dinged provincially by the HST it's not applicable. ;)

:shuriken:

clocker
01-09-2011, 07:50 PM
I've found that dough recipes you make ahead develop more flavor.
Ditch the "instant" yeast and mix it up the night before...I forget the French word but's called a "long rise".
Store in the fridge overnight, punch it down the next morning and stretch it a bit, then let it rise the rest of the day.
Before dinner, take it out and knead into shape and you're good to go.

The dough will have a better flavor and cooked on a stone, should give you the results you're looking for.

Or get Papa Murphy's.

Snee
01-09-2011, 08:31 PM
I say do what you want, or do something else.

tesco
01-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I've found that dough recipes you make ahead develop more flavor.
Ditch the "instant" yeast and mix it up the night before...I forget the French word but's called a "long rise".
Store in the fridge overnight, punch it down the next morning and stretch it a bit, then let it rise the rest of the day.
Before dinner, take it out and knead into shape and you're good to go.

The dough will have a better flavor and cooked on a stone, should give you the results you're looking for.

Or get Papa Murphy's.
My pizza making is not premeditated. :emo:

tesco
01-09-2011, 09:23 PM

Give Papa Murphy's a go if there's one in your town. It's take-and-bake, so if you happen to get dinged provincially by the HST it's not applicable. ;)

The closest is Ohio. :lol:

clocker
01-09-2011, 11:31 PM
My pizza making is not premeditated. :emo:
If you try it, you might find it worth the slight extra effort.
I think you can freeze the dough too...I haven't tried that but it might make your hectic life easier.

Thatsgreat
01-10-2011, 01:15 AM
I don't like really like oregano, I guess I should use small amounts.
Are you saying to put it on the pizza or in the dough?

To put it on the pizza. I've never heard anyone put it in the dough though. But hell, you might be onto something here. Something big.

iLOVENZB
01-10-2011, 03:17 AM
So NZB, you're a baker?
BTW, it's called "proofing".

I've been into baking for a while now, it's especially challenging here at altitude and the very dry climate.
I've been perfecting my French bread recipe/technique, this morning I'm making yeasted pancakes (made the "sponge" last night).

Next Saturday I'm making pizza, so I've been looking into recipes for that.

Commercial baker, yes. You can also use the term prooving with regards to the fermentation process.

At home I love to muck around with pastry deserts. So far I've mastered Galaktoboureko and Baklava.

Good luck on your pizza clocker. The dough for pizza is meant to be savory and you're meant to get the flavours from the sauce/toppings.

MagicNakor
01-10-2011, 05:36 AM
It would take a special kind of crazy to like mucking with pastry on a commercial basis. :blink:

iLOVENZB
01-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Crazy things happen when you have Greek Cypriot parents and Turkish friends :shutup:.

clocker
01-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah, like hash in phyllo dough.

clocker
01-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Trying a new pizza dough recipe I found in Cook's Illustrated (Jan./Feb. 2011).
It's a make ahead dough, so I'm going to assemble it tomorrow morning and bake it Saturday night.
Should be interesting, I hope.

iLOVENZB
01-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Pics! Pics! Pics!

I'm just about sick of pizza now. A flat mate managers an Eagle Boys store so he brings home pizzas, deserts and sides every night.

clocker
01-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Pics of what, a ball of dough?
Hardly must-see TV, is it.

iLOVENZB
01-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Finshed product clocker ;).

clocker
01-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Finshed product clocker ;).
Well, we'll see.
I'm taking the dough over to a friend's and believe it or not, not everyone likes their life documented on the internet.
I'm sure they'd wonder WTF I was doing photographing dinner...as in "Hey, WTF are you doing?"
"Oh, just taking pictures to post on the interwebs because no one has ever seen a pizza before and I'm a caring type of guy!"

On the other hand, maybe I can get the hot wife to pose with it naked, thus satisfying Mulder's most cherished fantasy (hot cheese and boobs).

clocker
01-16-2011, 03:22 PM
OK, no pics but some results...
We baked off six pizzas last night, half with my prepared ahead dough and half with regular "made that day" dough.
In blind taste tests, my dough was favored by every taster (adult and kids), every time.
So the slow rise/refrigerator method is definitely worth planning ahead for, IMO.

Next up, I'm going to apply that technique to a rustic Italian bread recipe I've been eying.

cunt
01-16-2011, 03:24 PM
We baked off six pizzas last night, half with my prepared ahead dough and half with regular "made that day" dough.
In blind taste tests, my dough was favored by every taster (adult and kids), every time.
So the slow rise/refrigerator method is definitely worth planning ahead for, IMO.

Next up, I'm going to apply that technique to a rustic Italian bread recipe I've been eying.

Fancy getting married? I'd be willing to overlook your penis.

clocker
01-16-2011, 03:36 PM
That's very generous of you.

Proper Bo
01-16-2011, 03:44 PM

I thought that was standard with marriage:unsure:

cunt
01-16-2011, 03:55 PM

I thought that was standard with marriage:unsure:

Damn straight. I don't even have the titillation/consolation of proper good pizza dough.

Having said that, it was my birthday yesterday and she performed admirably. Bless her. Can't wait 'til next year, like.

Proper Bo
01-16-2011, 04:07 PM
I got dumped before my birthday:pinch:

Barbarossa
01-17-2011, 12:13 PM
I got dumped before my birthday:pinch:

At least it wasn't on your birthday :idunno:

iLOVENZB
01-17-2011, 09:51 PM
A friend said to me a while ago; If you want the perfect woman, marry your mother.

clocker
01-18-2011, 01:23 AM
I'm sure he has plenty of time in prison to come up with nuggets like that.

Stinson
01-19-2011, 09:55 AM
A friend said to me a while ago; If you want the perfect woman, marry your mother.

Or in other words: No man can ever love another woman except his mother!

iLOVENZB
01-20-2011, 05:06 AM
:dry:

I don't think I ever like my mother, probably why I left home so early :shutup:.

vincentjo
01-20-2011, 06:40 AM
how i wish i cud lear how to cook!:)

iLOVENZB
01-20-2011, 08:17 AM
how i wish i cud lear how to cook!:)

Oh, how I wish I could learn how to cook! :)

:slap:

iLOVENZB
01-20-2011, 08:18 AM
:drunk::eat::pizza::guiness::beer::cheers::coffee:

clocker
01-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Football watching food.

Rolls and bread...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/Rolls.jpg

Homemade chicken pot pie...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/Pie1.jpg

Tasted pretty good, if I do say so myself.
Which, obviously, I just did.

I tried using puff pastry instead of a standard crust in the chicken pie and it didn't work out as I'd hoped.
It shrunk down and separated and the bottom wasn't as crispy as it could have been.
Practice makes perfect.

Barbarossa
01-24-2011, 11:11 AM
That looks fuckin' delicious :w00t:

Gripper
01-25-2011, 04:42 PM
I loves to cook,made dough balls to go with my stew the other day,had no suet for dumplings,twas a merkin recipe but i decyphered it and they turned out very nice.

Speedo
01-25-2011, 09:51 PM

Yeah. I know a couple of idiots too.

I cook but I also bake. A lot of guys think it's beyond them because it's supposed to be the womans job, but I say that if you can't even feed yourself your the most useless of all humans.

In some stores you can get tandori paste and it's surprisingly good and easy. Just get some paste, mix it with some water, and then massage it on some chicken, put it in the oven and let it cook for 40-50 minutes. Cook some rise in the mean time (why is it called mean time? What did it do to me?). I don't have a sauce for this dish because I like to have a lot of drink around. Some people hate dry dishes but I don't have a sauce for it I'm afraid, make your own.

As for baking. My dad was home from work for two weeks and dead set on figuring out how the professionals make their bakery, and when us kids came home from school we where asked to test try these awful hockey pucks. I later worked as a handyman at a bakery and they are scientific about their baking. They pump in frozen nitrogen to kill the yeasting process for dough in later use. The processing systems that goes into bakeries is awesome. One of my colleagues asked for the recipe one day, and the answer was if he had a cement mixer.

MagicNakor
01-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Baking is more reliant on chemistry; cooking can be a bit more relaxed.

Gripper
01-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Like the tandori paste idea speedo,have only recently mastered cooking rice to perfection thanks to Deliah smith,as you say sauces are easy just experiment.