PDA

View Full Version : [Request] PassThePopcorn

hulabula
01-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Hi. I have been looking up people's opinions on the current best movie trackers and the general consensus seems to be directed towards PTP and PTN. I had used ptn in the past but didn't like it because of its slow speeds and lack of seeders. At the moment I'm using torrentleech for newer titles and btjunkie/ipt and often TL as well for the older ones.

As for my movie interests, I watch mainstream movies only- both old and new, preferably in 2-3gb 720p encodes. Last couple of movies I downloaded are Rear Window, Dinner With Shmucks, Devil, Never Let me go, and one flew over the cuckoo's nest. Anyway, I'll be pretty happy if someone can invite me to the site. Thanks.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1101487084.png

Ratio proofs:
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3179/ratioproofd.jpg

megabyteme
01-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi, hulabula. I have read through your posts here, and don't see any reason why I shouldn't help you out. PM me your email (gmail, please), and the invite is yours. Please include a link to this thread as a reminder.

Waddafocky
01-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Hey man if your thing with megabyteme falls through I'm going to have to bula on your hula! Naw just kidding I don't even know what that means.

Just keep in mind, PTP is a great site, great community, but really, if you watch mainstream movies, unless you're aiming for security, your main places to go would be indexers like btjunkie or kickasstorrents. If you want DVDRs of Criterion, yes, PTP would be good. But if you wanted the latest 720p of Red from Sinners, you would be better off at IPT or getting it off of public. Also, especially if you're not looking for 4-6 gig transparent 720p, PTPs not going to be for you. They mostly have 4-6 gig with an emphasis on quality. Of course, they're not uptight about it and you will find the occasional kingdom or waf or hdlite, but for the most part, no. IPT + Public is always my first resource for mainstream movies.

I guess you'll learn that on your own.

Bionic
01-08-2011, 02:04 AM
Did you know:

PTN - Invited only through STAFF!

#hello!

Waddafocky
01-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Did you know:

#hello!
Urrm, you've got your acronyms confrused. N != P, not even in science.

Bionic
01-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Did you know:

#hello!
Urrm, you've got your acronyms confrused. N != P, not even in science.

Re-wooops-tard.

hulabula
01-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Hi, hulabula. I have read through your posts here, and don't see any reason why I shouldn't help you out. PM me your email (gmail, please), and the invite is yours. Please include a link to this thread as a reminder.

Really kind of you. Thanks a lot!! But I just talked to a PTP staff who offered to invite me in as long as I achieved a certain goal, which I'm hoping will take a week at most. So you can save your invite. :D

Just keep in mind, PTP is a great site, great community, but really, if you watch mainstream movies, unless you're aiming for security, your main places to go would be indexers like btjunkie or kickasstorrents. If you want DVDRs of Criterion, yes, PTP would be good. But if you wanted the latest 720p of Red from Sinners, you would be better off at IPT or getting it off of public. Also, especially if you're not looking for 4-6 gig transparent 720p, PTPs not going to be for you. They mostly have 4-6 gig with an emphasis on quality. Of course, they're not uptight about it and you will find the occasional kingdom or waf or hdlite, but for the most part, no. IPT + Public is always my first resource for mainstream movies.

Your confusing mainstream for recent titles only. I enjoy watching popular films from 50s-90s too, but don't dare to start downloading them unless there are at least 20 seeders. In fact on IPT/TL, if you find more than 40 seeds on any movie torrent released before 2009 consider yourself lucky. This is why I decided to go with a movie-only tracker. It sucks when you have to let the peer details decide what movie you'll watch next lol. Oh and I asked on ptp's irc and found out that most of their 720p encodes are indeed 4-6gb's. So I'll just have to save the big gigs for the better films and watch other flicks 10 feet away from my monitor lol. BTW, how well does a 4.4gb DVDR generally compare to a say...2.5gb BDRip XviD avi? I've never watched an untouched DVD.

PTP- To be invited only through staff! (sort of) :D

megabyteme
01-08-2011, 05:02 AM
My offer still stands, h.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with the "staff only" invites... if it's a prestige thing, it's silly- just get invited by honest, reputable members and you won't have to worry about invite trees getting banned. As for PTN, they frequently bring in new members through interview. Maybe that's it. As for PtP they have given out a fair amount of invites to members in the past couple months- there shouldn't be any difficulty.

Regardless of who invites you, h, I believe you will enjoy the site and its content. A lot of work has gone into it, and I believe it is one of the better movie sites available.

Waddafocky
01-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Bionic: Does that look like a fucking typo to you? Look at your keyboard. You made a ginuwine mistake, I didn't. Sorry. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, in which case I apologize, I say let the damn thing lie.

hulabula: If you find 40 seeds on any movie that's been out for more than a year on PTP, consider yourself lucky. No difference here. It's just that PTP is more tailored to delivering movies than TL/IPT are. The functions are better, the knowledge is better, the quality is better (usually). That doesn't mean that speeds will necessarily be faster. It may be true that you'll probably find more movies on PTP than TL/IPT and public, but that doesn't mean you'll find more mainstream stuff. Mainstream is just that, mainstream. It's everywhere.

Also, as to untouched DVD vs. 2.5 gig XVid Avi (Why get XVid by the way? Even at 2.5 gigs, x264 encoders usually encode better), it really depends. Are you watching on a laptop? Do you burn to DVD and play it in an upscaling DVD player? Keep in mind that SD != HD even when upscaled. A 2.5G BDRip will have a lot more details than a DVD (if encoded properly) but will have a lot more artifacts. It really depends on your preference - if you like to be anal, then go untouched DVD-R or bump up to 4-6 gigs HDRip, the size at which an encode has the possibility to be transparent. Otherwise, get 2-2.5G BDRips.

IdolEyes787
01-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Your confusing mainstream for recent titles only. I enjoy watching popular films from 50s-90s too, but don't dare to start downloading them unless there are at least 20 seeders. In fact on IPT/TL, if you find more than 40 seeds on any movie torrent released before 2009 consider yourself lucky. This is why I decided to go with a movie-only tracker. It sucks when you have to let the peer details decide what movie you'll watch next lol. Oh and I asked on ptp's irc and found out that most of their 720p encodes are indeed 4-6gb's. So I'll just have to save the big gigs for the better films and watch other flicks 10 feet away from my monitor lol.

My suggestion if this is any indication is to seek out only unpopular movies and watch them.

http://www.peopleschoice.com/pca/awards/nominees/

(http://www.peopleschoice.com/pca/awards/nominees/)
BTW, how well does a 4.4gb DVDR generally compare to a say...2.5gb BDRip XviD avi? I've never watched an untouched DVD.

I find that the plot is usually better in a 4.4 GB DVDR but the superior acting in the BD rips tips the scales in their favour.

Btw don't a lot of you twits watch movies on your iPhones/Ipods/Ipads or something so I think suddenly demanding "quality " after happily viewing Saving Private Ryan on a 3" screen makes actual motivation kinda suspect. :unsure:

hulabula
01-08-2011, 04:41 PM
My offer still stands, h.

Regardless of who invites you, h, I believe you will enjoy the site and its content. A lot of work has gone into it, and I believe it is one of the better movie sites available.

Thanks a lot man, but I think I'll go with the staff thing. My first preferences when trying to get into a site are always open signups and irc channels. Anyway, I do hope it is as good as people say it is. :)

Also, as to untouched DVD vs. 2.5 gig XVid Avi (Why get XVid by the way? Even at 2.5 gigs, x264 encoders usually encode better), it really depends.

The problem is that x264 encodes on IPT and TL are almost always 4GB+. And I never burn the movies on DVDs; I watch them on the same desktop computer I download them on. From what you said, I think I'll be better off with BDRips, since block artifacts on the 2GB+ bdrips I've watched so far haven't bothered me too much.

And the reason I thought PTP has a lot of seeds on older movies was I had a friend on a different forum check out the peer stats for some of the older movies I was looking to download, and found all of them fairly well-seeded. After using category-dedicated trackers like what (not a PU) and tvt, I just sort of assumed that the model held for all such trackers. I also thought ptp had a good number of seedbox peers since people say it's hard to maintain a good ratio there. :unsure:

I find that the plot is usually better in a 4.4 GB DVDR but the superior acting in the BD rips tips the scales in their favour.

Naturally, that goes without saying. I don't know why you even bothered to bring it up.

Btw don't a lot of you twits watch movies on your iPhones/Ipods/Ipads or something so I think suddenly demanding "quality " after happily viewing Saving Private Ryan on a 3" screen makes actual motivation kinda suspect.

Lol, okay sorry, but who rattled your cage? Are you angry at me for not watching non-mainstream films?

bigdaddydude
01-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Good luck with your request.

IdolEyes787
01-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Lol, okay sorry, but who rattled your cage? Are you angry at me for not watching non-mainstream films?

Hardly , the comment wasn't even really directed at you . You were just unfortuantely within the blast radius.
Anyway even though you can't speel schmucks " Rear Window, Dinner With Shmucks, Devil, Never Let me go, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is about the most well-balanced confabulation of movies you could have put together.
Also if cinephilia was still alive he would tell you that sometimes you have to go beyond the norm to find the real quality and Le Diner de Cons (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119038/) upon which Dinner for Schmucks is based pwns the fuck out of Paul Rudd's tepid version .
Being French it doesn't shrink away from the necessary inherent meanness which is really the failing point of the American remake.
Btw I like Paul Rudd in the right role.I thought he was good in Role Models.

hulabula
01-08-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't mean to be an ass, but I think you need help with your self esteem issues. It's not good for you to try to impose on other people what you possibly believe to be your superior taste and knowledge at every opportunity you get, because that ultimately increases your reliance on other people for your emotional wellbeing. And in case you care at all, shmuck and schmuck are synonyms, but you're right in that it is spelled schmucks in the name of the movie. I didn't like the movie by the way, and I'm pretty sure thousands of movies will "pwn the fuck" out of it.

IdolEyes787
01-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Pwned .:(
Anyway I wasn't "trying to impose" anything on anybody .I was merely attempting to be friendly by saying that the French movie was maybe a worthwhile watch . If you want to read something into it that wasn't there then fine.:unsure:
Btw for not meaning to be an ass you do a remarkably good job of it .

hulabula
01-08-2011, 06:48 PM
The movie suggestion didn't have anything to do with what I wrote. I think I misused impose. What I meant to say basically was that trying to insult people because you think you're better than them, is a self destructive behaviour. Anyway, sorry.

Bionic
01-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Awww. Group hug...

"[repeatedly singing] And we're the three best friends that anyone could have!"
-The Hangover

megabyteme
01-08-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't mean to be an ass, but I think you need help with your self esteem issues. It's not good for you to try to impose on other people what you possibly believe to be your superior taste and knowledge at every opportunity you get, because that ultimately increases your reliance on other people for your emotional wellbeing. And in case you care at all, shmuck and schmuck are synonyms, but you're right in that it is spelled schmucks in the name of the movie. I didn't like the movie by the way, and I'm pretty sure thousands of movies will "pwn the fuck" out of it.

:lol::lol::lol:

*Body*Head*Body*

:D

Waddafocky
01-08-2011, 07:19 PM
If you think Idol's out to assert superiority, you should get out a bit more - 1. It's the internet. 2. It's Idol.

But back on topic, kingdom-release and waf make a lot of 2-2.5g x264 and they're usually watchable. Not that many artifacts, sometimes screen tearing but not really. And you'll find them mostly on public indexers, or the kingdom-kvcd website. You'll find nothing like that on PTP. PTP has a lot of esir, thora, sinners, wiki, etc. groups that are about quality rather than size.

As for seedbox peers on PTP, I'm not all too sure if that's the case for the older movies. Sure they might be more well seeded, but not always. It's worth a shot though - at least the older movies will be encoded at better quality. Seedboxes aren't necessary because of the BP system they have. I haven't been there a month, don't have a seedbox, and I'm doing real fine.

Quarterquack
01-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Le Diner de Cons didn't have a scene with a parrot, though. :(

IdolEyes787
01-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Le Diner de Cons didn't have a scene with a parrot, though. :(

In that case Aladdin is also a great movie.

Quarterquack
01-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Tell me princess, when did you last let your heart decide?

IdolEyes787
01-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I did say it was a great movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_dcjn6lspk

Quarterquack
01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6KvPN_Wt8I

Alas, he's no longer with us. :(

EDIT; I actually relate to this one closely. Us originating from the same continent, and all.

hulabula
01-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Many thanks to MBM and Anarkial. I am closing the thread now. :)