PDA

View Full Version : ROGERS restriction on uploading Torrents - Solution?

DanglingChap
01-10-2011, 03:03 PM
I just got the ROGERS connection in my place but i just realized taht it has restrictions on torrents (specially uploading). I was wondering how can i by pass this restriction?

someone suggested my to get a SeedBox and someone are saying to use different methods like encryption etc. I tried encryption but its not working. what you guys suggest

Cabalo
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Which client are you using for encryption?
Where I live, one of our ISPs used to have such an aggressive traffic shaping, and depending on the torrent client some managed to bypass their sniffers.
I suggest you to try Vuze and Deluge's encryptions.

TONiC
01-10-2011, 04:00 PM
You're gunna have to pay to get passed throttling.

As you mentioned, encrypt your traffic. The best way to do this is through a VPN - about $15/m for an unmetered and static IP, but you can get for much cheaper.

A seedbox merely avoids the use of BitTorrent from home. You get a server to do all your work, whilst you merely download using the old FTP protocol.

IMO go with a VPN. Seedboxes = Located in eu = poor speeds for yanks.

Cabalo
01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Or you can ditch torrenting altogether and move to the usenet, where you won't be needing any upload, and it's cheaper than renting a VPN or seedbox.

anon
01-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Well, before saying encryption doesn't work, make sure you've tried forcing it with no fallbacks. But nowadays encryption doesn't get past most shapers as they've already adapted themselves to see through it, my ISP's included.

Vuze supports RC4 which encrypts the whole data stream, but it has two disadvantages: higher CPU usage and you can only connect to other clients that support RC4.

You mentioned restrictions on uploading, can you elaborate? Because there's a Sandvine fix around the network that's, at worst, worth a try.

DanglingChap
01-10-2011, 07:40 PM
thanks guys .. .. here are my questions and answers

- could someone suggest a decent tutorial for encryption?

- I am using uTorrent and would not mind using Vuze, the problem is that i am not sure if Vuze is being supported at the private tracker i am on (BwTorrent)

- Could someone tell me some free VPN links so that i may try before making a decision

- Uploading limit means that when i download, i get speed of 400-500kbps over my connection with 2-3 seeders .. .. but when i am uploading the same torrent, I can't get pass 2kbps even though there are 11+ leechers. though at my old place, using some other ISP for the specific tracker, I was getting 2-300kbps upload speed .. :S

anon
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
- could someone suggest a decent tutorial for encryption?

You don't need a tutorial. In uTorrent, just go to Preferences -> BitTorrent -> Protocol Encryption, select "Forced" in the drop-down box, and untick the "allow legacy..." checkbox.

- I am using uTorrent and would not mind using Vuze, the problem is that i am not sure if Vuze is being supported at the private tracker i am on (BwTorrent)

Check their rules, FAQ and/or forums to find out.

- Could someone tell me some free VPN links so that i may try before making a decision

http://scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=Free+VPN&n=2

- Uploading limit means that when i download, i get speed of 400-500kbps over my connection with 2-3 seeders .. .. but when i am uploading the same torrent, I can't get pass 2kbps even though there are 11+ leechers.

I see. Looks like the fuckers are insanely shaping your upload, turning you into a leech. :dabs:

Expeto
01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
could someone suggest a decent tutorial for encryption?

Here is a nice tutorial (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/406755-VPN-Guide-for-n00bs), he heard the guy who wrote this was very smart :P

faithless13
01-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Get a seed box try xirvik uploads about 5-10 mbs about £11.30 a month also gives you full simple instructions on how to do it all and encrypting your browsing.

ca_aok
01-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Rogers throttles all encrypted traffic if I recall correctly. Since internet infrastructure in Canada is essentially a Duopoly between two companies (Rogers/Cogeco and Bell), they can do whatever the fuck they want and get away with it. The logic is that encryption for "legitimate" means is normally stuff like email that doesn't require a ton of bandwidth, whereas filesharing programs increasingly use encryption to avoid throttling.

To be honest, Bell isn't much better. On a supposed 1Mbps up connection I get maybe 30-50kB/s during non-peak hours, and it gets throttled down further during peak hours.

Honestly, your options are either usenet or a seedbox. Unless you find a cheap VPN with unlimited data and good speeds (harder to find than you might think), it's just going to be a fair chunk of money on top of what you already pay for internet.

Usenet is cheaper and doesn't require you to upload back, which is handy. It's especially useful if you primarily download scene content.

Seedboxes are generally more expensive. You'll have good enough speeds that you'll essentially never have ratio issues on sites again. You can range anywhere from the cheaper slices with minimal services for $10-20/month, to a fully fledged dedicated server or VPS with root access, which allows you to install and do whatever you want with it.

Personally I have a dedicated server that I use part time as a seedbox, but it basically comes down to whether you prefer BT or usenet, and your budget.

tl;dr, fuck you Canadian telecom.

Racehorse
01-15-2011, 01:01 AM
if Usenet is not what you want - I switched months ago don't know why I torrented so long ; was on the torrent bandwagon from beginning ; usenet download 350 MB tv show 3 1/2 minutes vs torrent @ fastest DL speed = 1/2 hr.

a possibility is switching to a business connection which includes basic TV ,i.e. Shaw cable currently offering extreme speed 15/1MBps for $49.95 not enforcing bandwidth limits or aggressively shaping traffic. (residential ExtremeSpeed is $56 + mo) ; maybe Rogers has similar Policies with Business connections

otherwise a torrent friendly VPN with no logging is your most economical and secure solution