PDA

View Full Version : "100% Completion" - You've got some nerve, Giganews!

Hypatia
01-20-2011, 12:39 AM
100% Completion my arse.
Its more like 80% or less with numerous DMCA take downs.

Instead of doing something to save the company from bad fame and
embarrassment, leading to a decrease in a user base, perhaps moving servers
to DMCA free zone as well as their office, they introduce one of the worst
newsreaders out there just to increase or to keep high the price and change completion from 99% to 100%
Pathetic

It WILL be worse in the near future considering dmca mafia actions.
..and people wouldnt want to pay for false advertising and articles they
cant get. No use for that kind of retention if the articles are not there.

The crippled father's bastards:

SuperNews

PowerUsenet

II
II
II
V

AVOID

Waddafocky
01-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Make that GigaNERVE.

sandman_1
01-20-2011, 04:27 AM
Giganews bad mkay.

Skiz
01-20-2011, 04:30 AM
100% Completion my arse.

newsreaders out there just to increase or to keep high the price and change completion from 99% to 100%
Pathetic

[B][CENTER]

:blink:

WTF are you going on about? I've used GN for around 4 years and have never had problems. My completion rate essentially 100% on everything I download. Every time. What are you unable to download?

Hypatia
01-20-2011, 08:50 AM
SKiz, if you dont happen to download stuff they take down that doesnt mean they dont take it down. Mostly its TV series, movies that are considered to be popular, xbox360 games.

Ive been with them for years and i clearly see the difference . Mostly DMCA take downs affect files in a way that from all of them 1 block is removed. Sometimes you can repair them, but sometimes not.Especially if there are 2 blocks removed. Several times i couldnt download some games totally. xbox360 game, 2 disc. What left of 2 DVD was 28 mb each.
And dont even talk about reposting. Stuff dont always get reposted. Besides i didnt subscribe to pay that kind of money for constant repairing and looking for reposted stuff
.No, thank you very much.

Make that GigaNERVE.

GigABUSE.

Abusing my nerves, my time, my patience, my customer's loyalty and bending over to ABUSE leters.

PS just a few examples. i dont have time to check everything out.
http://thumbnails32.imagebam.com/11592/0b4ac1115910941.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/0b4ac1115910941) http://thumbnails29.imagebam.com/11592/6d0ce3115910948.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/6d0ce3115910948) http://thumbnails19.imagebam.com/11592/be4f33115910956.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/be4f33115910956) http://thumbnails9.imagebam.com/11592/8dcb73115910966.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/8dcb73115910966) http://thumbnails32.imagebam.com/11592/cb9edc115910970.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/cb9edc115910970) http://thumbnails7.imagebam.com/11592/621da2115910975.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/621da2115910975) http://thumbnails19.imagebam.com/11592/85c603115910984.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/85c603115910984) http://thumbnails7.imagebam.com/11592/5ed1c6115910990.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/5ed1c6115910990)

Malcontent
01-20-2011, 12:37 PM
100% Completion my arse.

Pathetic

[B][CENTER]

WTF are you going on about? I've used GN for around 4 years and have never had problems. My completion rate essentially 100% on everything I download. Every time. What are you unable to download?

Try downloading HBO shows over 100 days old. Try the first episode of "Boardwalk Empire" which is a little over 100 days.

nntpjunkie
01-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Seldom have an issue with Usenetserver, which is really interesting because they are a third of the price of Giganews - Oh well, thank goodness for cheap usenet...

krackt
01-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Seldom have an issue with Usenetserver, which is really interesting because they are a third of the price of Giganews - Oh well, thank goodness for cheap usenet...

Same experience with Thundernews. Have only been with them since November last year and so far haven't had a post that wouldn't complete ...touch wood. Easily the best 5 bucks a month I spend.

tesco
01-20-2011, 11:40 PM

Try downloading HBO shows over 100 days old. Try the first episode of "Boardwalk Empire" which is a little over 100 days.
Actually it can happen after just a few days, I don't think it has to be as old as 100 days.
And yes it definitely happens. Some nerve they have claiming 100%. :lol:

Beck38
01-21-2011, 06:18 AM
A couple of things:

I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about the possibility of some usenet server 'service' doing this several years ago, and there are several ways it really doesn't work (to prevent the d/l and extraction of the data).

First, usenet is an electronic bucket brigade. The only real way to 'stop' something is if it's being posted to your specific server (the origin), and it is 'caught' right at the time it's posted. Otherwise, in a few seconds, out it goes to your peers and anyone with a secondary 'fills' account will get a (near) perfect copy. Secondly, if you do any other 'nasty' things to the files, and if the poster provided authenticity information to the RAR archive, the RAR archive s/w will toss what you've attempted to mess with into mr. bit bucket.

In all the years I used Giganews, I had (and used) at least one if not two fills accounts, where if I got any bad transmissions, the newsreader s/w would automatically try and get a 'perfect' copy from one of the other servers.

I'm sure that any 'takedown notices' aren't counted in that '100%' figure...!

But from a practical standpoint, no matter how diligent any 'organization' is in sending out DMCA letters, by the time the 'send' key it hit on the email, it's all over with. The peering will have that file across the planet every which way from sunday, across more international borders that one can count, that it's an exercise in futility.

Rart
01-21-2011, 06:40 AM
I think the real question is why anyone would pay 25-30 dollars (and potentially even $35 soon) for the same service that can be had elsewhere at a third of the cost. Even if Giganews had completion rates well above and beyond that of other providers (which it doesn't), an Astraweb account + Blocknews backup would function far better at a fraction of the price.

And claiming to have a 100% completion rate is just absurd. Its as if a soap company claimed that their product removed 100% of harmful pathogens, or if a display manufacturer claimed that their monitor had 180 degree viewing angles. It just doesn't happen, and to claim otherwise is clearly false advertising.

ericab
01-21-2011, 06:50 AM
i assume beck38 tried to set you folks straight with his reply.

i didn't read it, nor did i read the majority of the posts in this thread. (no offense)

no need.

read this:

"100% Completion Unlike low-end Usenet providers, Giganews features multiple copies of every article and full speed across all retention."

this seems to be a case of word-play...the marketing dept. gone wild.

notice they *don't* say " Unlike low-end Usenet providers, Giganews features multiple copies of every article {{{ON OUR SERVERS}}} and full speed across all retention."

of course they have 100% completion.......... of what they have.

they just fail to mention what they don't.

har har har

iLOVENZB
01-21-2011, 07:59 AM
More or less clever marketing. 100% of posts that the communist (Giganews) approve.

It's like Coles marketing slogan No added beef hormones. The farmer adds the hormones when the cattle are bred. I know for a fact that Chickens grown in Australia don't have growth hormones, they banned that a long time ago. Just the hillbilly, tree-hugging hippies regurgitating old facts; propaganda.

Skiz
01-21-2011, 08:22 PM

I just downloaded Boardwalk Empire S01E01 720p HDTV x264-IMMERSE. It was missing one part but with the PAR2 files being there, Newsleecher doesn't skip a beat. It downloads, repairs, and extracts automatically. Unless you're using an ultra-basic client like sabznzb which doesn't auto-repair (i think), then what's the problem? :huh:

Cabalo
01-21-2011, 08:44 PM

I just downloaded Boardwalk Empire S01E01 720p HDTV x264-IMMERSE. It was missing one part but with the PAR2 files being there, Newsleecher doesn't skip a beat. It downloads, repairs, and extracts automatically. Unless you're using an ultra-basic client like sabznzb which doesn't auto-repair (i think), then what's the problem? :huh:

LOL @ ultra-basic and re-LOL and the lack of knowledge about it. sabnzbd has been repairing NZB sets for as far as I can remember.

Hypatia
01-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Cabalo
yeah...hear,hear *speechless* well, it speaks for itself lol

Did you notice how the screenshots posted by me that show the real deal you get with giganews & K are ignored ? :D

The truth hurts :)

It was missing one part

dude, lol

The files were posted 124 day(s) ago.
Parts checked: 6803
Undownloadable parts: 108
1,59% of the data can't be downloaded!
and u got lucky that it hasnt been completely removed and u had enough par2.
Sometimes its not enough

Newsleecher doesn't skip a beat. It downloads, repairs, and extracts automatically
newsleecher or any other newsclient cant repair this one automatically lol. because they usually pause all par2 sets except for the very small one which is used to monitor download. In this case NL(unless you have enabled in the options to download all par2 files which i doubt ) couldnt start automatically repairing since there wasnt really anything in the repair and extract window to begin with(the small par2 file is completely "killed")
ps ive just checked it out

but i guess that is what u get for paying 30+ bucks a month.
Premium service doomed to constant repairing until it fails one day or cant repair anything because there is literally nothing to repair.

Skiz
01-21-2011, 10:19 PM
sabnzbd has been repairing NZB sets for as far as I can remember.

Well, I did say, "I think", and it was only created something like 4 years ago so I guess your memory doesn't go back that far.

@hypatia - Yes, I do have the option enabled to download PARs if any parts are missing, so yes, it does extract.

Hypatia
01-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Skiz
I see,i didnt think about it, my bad.. yet still

ive just downloaded this s01e01 immerse release with all the PAR2 files via news-europe.giganews.com

And guess what? It CANT be repaired.

Proof:

http://thumbnails35.imagebam.com/11615/c69728116147007.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/c69728116147007)

so i have no idea how u managed to get it repaired,really

iLOVENZB
01-22-2011, 02:03 AM
If it means anything I get some incomplete posts with Astraweb.

Beck38
01-22-2011, 04:00 AM

Incomplete posts (things you posted to Astraweb show up as incomplete on Astraweb), or retrievals/downloads show up incomplete on Astraweb.

There are 3 places (or more) where incompletes can happen, in the upload transmission (uploading s/w or transmission), the actual server, or in the download transmission (again, the actual transmission or the receive s/w). Up to a few months ago, when I was using either PowerPost or one of the 'variants' (either 16+ thread types or Camelsystem), I would be posting at server 'A' and watching both the reception on that sever as well as the propagation out to 2 or 3 of the major servers, figuring of course that if they got there 'okay' that the minor servers 'could' get it as well.

It was rare, but did happen, where the PowerPost would 'hiccup' a bit and generate some error or another where the receiving server would get a block error, and that error would be propagated. Maybe once per 10GB or thereabouts. Easily fixable with a few pars. This was with small file sizes (DVD5/9) and slow speeds.

When I transitioned to BD25/50+ sizes (at 10 times the speed), I did several tests with the PowerPost 'variants', and quickly came the the conclusion that although they did kinda work, that some better posting program that at least checked the upload (and self corrected) on a block level was needed; enter JBinUp.

It's got it's small problems, but in running well over 2.5TB through it (after figuring out which usenet server it worked best with, at least for me and my internet location and that server), I've had one (manually correctable) 'posting' block error. In watching the logs, the program gets a fair number of transmission or posting errors it does 'fix' automatically (around 1 per 10GB). A tweak of the JBinUp settings would probably have eliminated even that one I had to do manually, (or gotten the auto-system to do it automatically). But I've left the settings 'as is' and continue to run full bore with the standard settings.

Of course, the only way to get postings even better would be to do a bit checking system, but that would mean actually downloading at the same time one is uploading, and that may (or may not) be totally feasible; block checking seems to be okay, particularly against programs that don't do any checking (the old PowerPost's).

Now, in over three months, I've gotten one (1) block (in that 2.5TB) that failed to propagate from the posting server to the other major's. Pretty **** good.

iLOVENZB
01-22-2011, 08:56 AM
I've come across JBinUp on my Linux box and have no negative things to say about it ... except for the use of Java.

sandman_1
01-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Same here, downloaded Chronicles of Narnia and got 3 missing parts, easily repairable though.

mesaman
01-22-2011, 08:20 PM
It's about time for someone to mention the workaround strategy of using backup servers and end this thread.

Hypatia
01-22-2011, 09:16 PM
This thread needs to be on top 100% of time to prevent new users from joining gigaSHit
We must hit them hard there it hurts most- their money.
Maybe then they'll reconsider their policy.

well, im kinda joking but there's a grain of truth in every joke

As for the backup servers.. for that price they should not only get rid of this dmca shit asap but send us every time they get paid of our CC wine ,roses and a personal stripgirl to perform a lap dance lol.

Beck38
01-22-2011, 09:37 PM

or a grain of salt about the size of Lot's Wife.

I've still got lots bits on an Astraweb block account I bought from 7 years ago when I was on Giga, it's the 'gift that keeps giving'. I've also got some Blocknews that will probably last until I take the final dirt nap, now that I'm on Astra as my main squeeze.

mesaman
01-22-2011, 09:38 PM
If you have Newshosting, you are served by a comely News Hostess.

I bought a non-expiring block from a provider in 2005 and it isn't used up yet.

Cabalo
01-23-2011, 06:53 AM
This thread needs to be on top 100% of time to prevent new users from joining gigaSHit
We must hit them hard there it hurts most- their money.
Maybe then they'll reconsider their policy.

As for the backup servers.. for that price they should not only get rid of this dmca shit asap but send us every time they get paid of our CC wine ,roses and a personal stripgirl to perform a lap dance lol.

I'd settle just for the stripper. :happy:

So, does usenetserver uses the same backbone as giganews? I don't pay too much attention to who belongs/resells whom.

Hypatia
01-23-2011, 07:29 AM
does usenetserver uses the same backbone as giganews?

Looks like highwinds(same retention as newshosting)
6 37 ms 42 ms 37 ms amsix.r2.am.hwng.net [195.69.144.94]
7 41 ms 38 ms 39 ms 2-1.r3.am.hwng.net [69.16.191.102]
8 38 ms 42 ms 40 ms ve31.ar2.am2.hwng.net [69.16.191.118]
9 37 ms 38 ms 37 ms ve5.ar1.am2.hwng.net [69.16.177.130]
10 37 ms 37 ms 43 ms news.usenetserver.com [74.209.129.10]

getusenet
01-25-2011, 06:08 AM
GigaNews should NOT introduce Mino and advertise on Newzbin, for example, because it makes GigaNews another UseNeXT

Stinson
01-27-2011, 08:24 AM
I guess there are worse things that could happen to Giganews than becoming another Usenext

Hypatia
01-27-2011, 04:30 PM
GigaNews should NOT introduce Mino and advertise on Newzbin, for example, because it makes GigaNews another UseNeXT

There is nothing legally wrong with MIMO except for the fact that its a lame newsreader.
The same applies to their search service(golden frog or something like that). its not illegal to index usenet, to maintain a searh engine.
Otherwise google would have been sued thousands times.

As for newzbin im not sure what you are talking about. they dont have any referral shit there. the only thing i see is the list of so called "premium usenet providers", thats all