PDA

View Full Version : Fileserve And Hotfile Are They Safe To Use

mike160
01-22-2011, 04:50 AM
hi does anyone here know anything about theses filehosting sites are they safe to use to upload to them like music and movies theses are the ones am talking about

http://www.fileserve.com/

http://hotfile.com/

GreenTea
01-22-2011, 10:23 AM
I download stuff from these sites; generally safe.
Although once in a while, some files get deleted because of copyright issues (usually because the legal owners/creators reported them, etc).

I normally use jDownloader to queue my files, it does all the waiting for you.
All I need to do is input the captcha each time a file is being downloaded.

cherio
01-22-2011, 03:16 PM
No

Hotfile, 1000 Users and PayPal Named In Piracy Lawsuit
Liberty Media, the company involved in achieving the largest headline settlement against a BitTorrent user last month, has widened its net to include cyberlocker-based infringement. The movie studio has now filed suit against file-hosting site Hotfile and 1000 of its users.

anon
01-22-2011, 05:41 PM
No way of downloading is 100% safe, but HF and FS are definitely much safer than torrents, specially public ones, since you don't have to upload and get the files from a single server.

mike160
01-22-2011, 06:44 PM
this has me a little worry now

Originally Posted by Torrentfreak

Hotfile, 1000 Users and PayPal Named In Piracy Lawsuit
Liberty Media, the company involved in achieving the largest headline settlement against a BitTorrent user last month, has widened its net to include cyberlocker-based infringement. The movie studio has now filed suit against file-hosting site Hotfile and 1000 of its users.
:(

so is it safer then torrent sites and all other p2p programs that ppl use to download and upload caues this does not look good (Hotfile, 1000 Users and PayPal Named In Piracy Lawsuit) :( dont want this to happen to me

anon
01-22-2011, 07:00 PM
so is it safer then torrent sites and all other p2p programs that ppl use to download and upload caues this does not look good (Hotfile, 1000 Users and PayPal Named In Piracy Lawsuit) :( dont want this to happen to me

You're much safer using file hosters than with torrents. That's for sure.

mike160
01-22-2011, 07:38 PM
ok thanks anon-sbi

johhny
01-22-2011, 08:36 PM
hotfile keep it strong......:) and win the process

Speedo
01-31-2011, 09:15 PM
The only problem with these servers is that they have your banking information. That includes vpn, fileservers, newsgroups and others. I would not recommend the service to far from my home in that regard. I pay my isp to keep me online and I know where they are. I would have big doubts with routing my traffic through another service run by people I can not meet in person if I tried to. The security that I will supposedly find in them, is not to be hold personally accountable if any of your information leaks. My isp, will since we're in the same country and they don't want me mad, do their best to hold on to my traffic data as long as they can. And if I'm lucky, they delete it all before ant government officials or hackers get them.

But, by all means, give another shout out to opendns, and googledns. Let them know every address of every webpage you ever visit. Who is google? we know that already. Who is opendns?

anon
02-01-2011, 01:28 AM
But, by all means, give another shout out to opendns, and googledns. Let them know every address of every webpage you ever visit. Who is google? we know that already. Who is opendns?

This is what OpenDNS's privacy policy says about logs:
For its DNS services, OpenDNS temporarily stores logs to monitor and improve our quality of service, and to collect high-level aggregate Statistics. For customers without an account, OpenDNS generally removes the IP address from its logs within 2 business days, except for backup or archival copies which are not generally accessed in the normal course of business.

And this is what Google's says about their service:
Google Public DNS stores two sets of logs: temporary and permanent. The temporary logs store the full IP address of the machine you're using. We have to do this so that we can spot potentially bad things like DDoS attacks and so we can fix problems, such as particular domains not showing up for specific users.

We delete these temporary logs within 24 to 48 hours.

In the permanent logs, we don't keep personally identifiable information or IP information. We do keep some location information (at the city/metro level) so that we can conduct debugging, analyze abuse phenomena and improve the Google Public DNS prefetching feature. After keeping this data for two weeks, we randomly sample a small subset for permanent storage.

We don't correlate or combine your information from the temporary or permanent logs with any other data that Google might have about your use of other services, such as data from Web Search and data from advertising on the Google content network.

Finally, if you're interested in knowing what else we log when you use Google Public DNS, here is the full list of items that are included in our permanent logs:
Request domain name, e.g. www.google.com
Request type, e.g. A (which stands for IPv4 record), AAAA (IPv6 record), NS, MX, TXT, etc.
Transport protocol on which the request arrived, i.e. TCP or UDP
Client's AS (autonomous system or ISP), e.g. AS15169
User's geolocation information: i.e. geocode, region ID, city ID, and metro code
Response code sent, e.g. SUCCESS, SERVFAIL, NXDOMAIN, etc.
Whether the request hit our frontend cache
Whether the request hit a cache elsewhere in the system (but not in the frontend)
Absolute arrival time in seconds
Total time taken to process the request end-to-end, in seconds
Name of the Google machine that processed this request, e.g. machine101
Google target IP to which this request was addressed, e.g. one of our anycast IP addresses (no relation to the user's IP)

I don't think OpenDNS is an angel while Google is not, but it's about choosing the lesser of two evils. And maybe there's another great service that doesn't keep any logs whatsoever, but I don't know about it, while I do know about OpenDNS, and it's the fastest and most reliable one I've tried.

Also, I've found a program called Acrylic DNS Cache which reduces the amount of data they can mine from you that way. It's a local DNS server that caches entries across restarts.

bijoy
02-01-2011, 01:33 PM
it depends on which country you live and what is the rule of that particular country on filesharing...
For example, in my country one of the ISP included the name of a local torrent site in their ad to increase their publicity.. Hope you can understand the situation. :P

cibu
02-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Hotfile is a lot safer . I've been using it for some time and I recommend it . Never got any viruses or stuff like that .

anon
02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Never got any viruses or stuff like that .

I don't think that was what the thread starter was talking about.

Utopian
02-06-2011, 07:16 AM
I guess hotfile is pretty safe