PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to upgrade?

brilman
01-23-2011, 03:00 PM
I think I have enough "yes dear" points to up grade my main system. Heres the basic specs:

--------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 4200+
motherboard Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 v2
4G ram ddr2
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)
--------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking of just a new video card and 8G ram
but not sure if it'll be worth it or just start over and build another box.

any ideas would be great (but keep in mind I'm tired of sucking up to my wife) :ermm:

thanks everyone

Snee
01-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Start off with a new card. That way you can stop there if you're happy. Having said that, I've no idea what your PSU is like, you may need a beefier one, for a high-end card. But then again, with a really high-end card, your processor may be a bottleneck as well.

Personally, I'd start over, though. One or two ssds for the os, one or two 6900-series (ATi) or 500-series (NVidia) graphics cards, new wife and etc.

clocker
01-23-2011, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't invest in DDR2 RAM as it wouldn't carry over to any (future) new build.
A vid card would continue to be usable, so if you really want one, go ahead.

Snee's idea about the SSD(s) is a good one, they're an instant- and quite noticeable- performance enhancement.

I would only upgrade the core package (CPU & motherboard) if you know it's a bottleneck.

Detale
01-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Ok I'll ask the obvious. Do you "need" a vid card? Do you game alot? Secondly what's your budget like? 8800 still isn't the worst card you can have.

clocker
01-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Yes, I find that my 8800GT renders the browser very crisply and with little/no lag.

Cabalo
01-24-2011, 01:59 AM
Honestly, your setup is more than enough for most day to day tasks.
I'd only consider upgrading if you are going to play some of the newest games, encode video or heavy photoshop/CAD use.
Otherwise, I think you're wasting money.

tesco
01-25-2011, 12:15 AM
I agree about it wasting your money.
The biggest increase you can get for your day-to-day stuff is an SSD, that alone gave me a bigger increase in speed than my last whole-computer upgrade.

mjmacky
01-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Here's a question for anyone recommending SSD. I have a 250 GB SATA HD, and between the OS, programs/settings & Virtual Console, I'm using up about 60 GB. The SSD disks are quite expensive once you get above 64 GB, like $200 for an 80-90 GB. So here's the question...
What is the recommended way of transferring my 60/250 GB SATA HD setup to an 80 GB SSD, so that I can boot up and have everything work the same as it did before? Does software come with the SSD? I had an experience when I had to switch the contents of a soon to be dead HD and moved it over to my new WD, but a lot was working incorrectly after the move (e.g. Microsoft Office had nothing but errors, I had to remove every trace of it and reinstall). I know there are guides out there, but I want to hear your personal experiences about it, and see if it's going to be worth the hassle.

clocker
01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
I've always done a fresh install when swapping drives, it's much more reliable.
Installing Win7 from a flash drive onto a SSD takes under ten minutes.
I keep no data on the OS drive, so after the OS is in it's just a matter of reinstalling the programs (executables also stored on a separate drive) and it's done.

From start to finish, it's easily done in under two hours (including all Windows updates) and is well worth the "hassle" to get the SSD speed.

Gripper
01-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Ok xcuse ones ignorance but what is the SSD you speak of?

clocker
01-25-2011, 05:51 PM
SSD= solid state drive, a flash based storage device.

Gripper
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Cheers clocker knew you'd be on the ball will check em out,I think I remember you talking about them whenthey first came out...Ta very much

mjmacky
01-25-2011, 06:01 PM
From start to finish, it's easily done in under two hours (including all Windows updates) and is well worth the "hassle" to get the SSD speed.

I'm not worried about installation time, it's the tinkering time to get everything just the way I want it that bugs me. Not all of my programs are standard in using Appdata directory, a lot of stuff to keep track of that I've set up over time. 2 hours from a fresh install would be a major underestimation for my scenario. It really took me an entire day to recreate the environment I had in XP to Win7, and I'm not talking about OS differences either (it's just the only scenario in which I bit the bullet for fresh install).

clocker
01-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Even if it did take an entire day, I'd still think it's worth doing.

I'd also see what I could do in future to streamline the process.
24 hours to set up a PC is absurd.

tesco
01-25-2011, 11:11 PM

I'm not worried about installation time, it's the tinkering time to get everything just the way I want it that bugs me. Not all of my programs are standard in using Appdata directory, a lot of stuff to keep track of that I've set up over time. 2 hours from a fresh install would be a major underestimation for my scenario. It really took me an entire day to recreate the environment I had in XP to Win7, and I'm not talking about OS differences either (it's just the only scenario in which I bit the bullet for fresh install).
Some programs do exist to copy an image of one hard drive to another (ssd in this case).
I'm not sure of any names so nothing to recommend, but I'm sure a little googling will turn up results then you can compare what you find to see what would work best for you.

I'm on clocker's side though, fresh install is the way to go.

mjmacky
01-26-2011, 03:20 AM

I feel it is absurd as well, but it's a day of digging through my program files folders, user folders, windows environment customizations (tons of these! e.g. environment variables, start menu, folder views, background slideshow, etc.), random folders that had their roles like avatars or MB software and things like that. Setting up shares again and custom standalone programs. I prepared for a "streamlined" process before, maybe 18-24 months ago, it's far from relevant now. I will probably wait until my HD dies to move to SSD. Thanks everyone for adding input though.

Some programs do exist to copy an image of one hard drive to another (ssd in this case).
I'm not sure of any names so nothing to recommend, but I'm sure a little googling will turn up results then you can compare what you find to see what would work best for you.

The ones I know of already aren't friendly going from larger capacity to smaller.

clocker
01-26-2011, 04:57 AM
I will probably wait until my HD dies to move to SSD.
Not sure how that makes things any easier but it does cut down your response options.

mjmacky
01-26-2011, 12:11 PM
I will probably wait until my HD dies to move to SSD.
Not sure how that makes things any easier but it does cut down your response options.
It doesn't make it any easier, it's an issue of willingness to go through all that only when I have no choice but to do that. I have eliminated the possibility of replacing my system drive with another moving parts disk. So when it dies, which could be next week or in 3 years, I'll slap an SSD there and set up everything all over again.

bijoy
02-02-2011, 08:08 PM
your setup is just good, no need to upgrade that. but you should consider moving your os to ss drive.. You can understand the change in speed easily.. But that is too, is not necessary..

Detale
02-04-2011, 02:05 AM

I'm on clocker's side though, fresh install is the way to go.

Oh nothing beats that new Windows 7 smell ;) Also I use Acronis True Image, have for a while now. Just when I get all my ducks in a row I take a "snapshot" of the system and it's fantastic when it comes reinstall time. It can, but doesn't just do the whole disk image. you can pick and choose what to backup. Great program, try it

24 hours?! I could do like 10 computers in that time and probably have :P

mjmacky
02-05-2011, 12:57 AM
24 hours?! I could do like 10 computers in that time and probably have :P

I have done other people's computers that quickly as well. However, I'm talking about my personal master control station. Recreating its experience involves a day of sitting in front of my computer with a backup image loaded going... "what else did I forget". I think the missing point is I like the way I've set up everything over time, and it's difficult to preserve that, since not every program and setting is centralized (as it might be on most Win7 setups). It's like when you grill, and all your previous meat burnings have seasoned it in a way that make it just so much better, and a new grill just can't compete. I think I botched that analogy, anyways, it's apparently impossible to explain to everyone.

Oh nothing beats that new Windows 7 smell ;) Also I use Acronis True Image, have for a while now. Just when I get all my ducks in a row I take a "snapshot" of the system and it's fantastic when it comes reinstall time. It can, but doesn't just do the whole disk image. you can pick and choose what to backup. Great program, try it
I've been using Macrium Reflect, so does Acronis let you restore onto smaller drive capacity?

clocker
02-05-2011, 03:03 AM
Just what kind of "master control center" do you have and what do you do with it?

Snee
02-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Control masters?

mjmacky
02-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Just what kind of "master control center" do you have and what do you do with it?
I honestly don't know where to begin, so how about I over simplify it and simply say... my universe.

Detale
02-07-2011, 01:00 AM
I have done other people's computers that quickly as well. However, I'm talking about my personal master control station. Recreating its experience involves a day of sitting in front of my computer with a backup image loaded going... "what else did I forget". I think the missing point is I like the way I've set up everything over time, and it's difficult to preserve that, since not every program and setting is centralized (as it might be on most Win7 setups). It's like when you grill, and all your previous meat burnings have seasoned it in a way that make it just so much better, and a new grill just can't compete. I think I botched that analogy, anyways, it's apparently impossible to explain to everyone.

I've been using Macrium Reflect, so does Acronis let you restore onto smaller drive capacity?

Not sure. I don't backup the entire disk, I pick and choose what I would need backed up. Programs and such.