PDA

View Full Version : [Request] New To Entertaining Kids- Need Cartoons!

megabyteme
02-01-2011, 07:53 AM
I am the stay-at-home father of 11 month old twins (1B/1G). I usually do a pretty good job of keeping them occupied, but recognize the value of having easy-to-access cartoons at my disposal. Yes, I have found various packs on other sites, but would like to grab collections of cartoons from my long ago (I'm 38) childhood. Heck, I probably missed some good ones over the years, too. Regardless, when there is a bored, cranky kid around sometimes one cannot find a suitable cartoon fast enough to appease while searching multiple sites...

From what I've stumbled across (brief search) Cartoon Chaos seems to be "the best". Neptoons sounds like it has potential, but "is tough to seed". Please let me know if either of these descriptions is inaccurate.

I appreciate any help- either in the form of site suggestions, or invites. Even some well-flung spam will break the day up and serve as a much needed distraction from writing my :censored: thesis.

Thanks,

MBM

anon
02-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Hey MBM,

ILT has a kids category for this sort of stuff, too. :) And it's open for signups so if it's not what you're looking for you can simply log out and let the account die. :P

Cheers!

megabyteme
02-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Just checked ILT signup page, and it said user limit was reached. So much for the plan to H&R the entire kid's section... :(

anon
02-01-2011, 07:46 PM
That's weird. They're open the vast majority of the time...

IdolEyes787
02-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Hire a clown. If you are willing to take the chance they aren't a serial killer then you can probably find one willing to work for food or a bottle of cheap wine.

Quarterquack
02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Hey Idol, I have a jug full of maple syrup. Want some?

IdolEyes787
02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes ,yes I do.
I'd also be willing to trade a magic trick for it.

I need it for this actually http://www.detox.net.au/articles/cayenne-maple-lemon-cleanse.htm

megabyteme
02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Hire a clown. If you are willing to take the chance they aren't a serial killer then you can probably find one willing to work for food or a bottle of cheap wine.

Any chance you've got big long feets, and a bulbous red nose?

EDIT- no traders in my thread! :angry:

Quarterquack
02-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Yes ,yes I do.

So what you're essentially saying is, if we got bijoy to code a tracker for us, CHEEKY to run it, and perhaps j-dye to kick start the forums, a tracker dedicated to maple syrup would be more in-demand than a magic one?

IdolEyes787
02-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Yes ,yes I do.

So what you're essentially saying is, if we got bijoy to code a tracker for us, CHEEKY to run it, and perhaps j-dye to kick start the forums, a tracker dedicated to maple syrup would be more in-demand than a magic one?

Yes but I'm afraid the Mounties might be down on it like beavers to a maple tree or moose to whatever it is that moose like.

Quarterquack
02-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I thought the point of having j-dye on the forums was to make the mounties think it's a tracker made for americunts. We can also name it something obscure that will make it a deterrent to most Canadians. How does winninghockey.com sound?

For the record - and to be on-topic, IdolEyes and I do children's parties, MBM. Don't be shy, we accept cake as payment, but we're very particular about portion size. PM me for the dimensions.

megabyteme
02-01-2011, 08:36 PM
PM sent.

IdolEyes787
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Isn't J-dye British ?:unsure:

Btw we are supposedly going to get the biggest winter storm in the last two years here tonight/tomorrow so I'm not in the mood for levity.

Quarterquack
02-01-2011, 08:48 PM
It doesn't help that I have to be in University between 8:30 am and 10pm for midterms (with an s).

megabyteme
02-01-2011, 08:55 PM
It doesn't help that I have to be in University between 8:30 am and 10pm for midterms (with an s).

It would look silly to write "Univerity".

anon
02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
if we got bijoy to code a tracker for us, CHEEKY to run it, and perhaps j-dye to kick start the forums ...

You'd create a black hole.

ScottK
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
if we got bijoy to code a tracker for us, CHEEKY to run it, and perhaps j-dye to kick start the forums ...

Cool......... :O

Quarterquack
02-01-2011, 10:54 PM

It would look silly to write "Univerity".

dawg imma just letcha no dat i cn type a lawt worse den i do.

panaeolus
02-02-2011, 03:28 AM
megabyteme for cartoon caos
try the irc channel they have,im sure they help u
chears

megabyteme
02-02-2011, 03:34 AM
Thanks, panaeolus, but I don't use IRC.

Quarterquack
02-02-2011, 04:36 AM
To follow up on your PM MBM: I'm not quite sure what you understood my icing comment as, but I just wanted to say that icing is always a good thing. Always. A good thing.

megabyteme
02-02-2011, 05:28 AM
I believe it will be easier to just wait patiently for someone with a Cartoon Chaos invite that to try to smuggle two illegal aliens without work permits, or green cards, across the Canadian border to entertain my kids. First you want cake, now icing...what next...candles?!!!

CleverMan
02-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Regarding CartoonChaos, i believe only staff can invite atm (i remember there was a giveaway on waffles). Or you gotta wait till they hand out next portion of invites to members, which probably won't be so soon
Also, i have 1 TorrentKids invite if you are interested

ScottK
02-02-2011, 03:48 PM
http://www.cartoonchaos.org/index.php?page=inviterequest

idk if its work tomorrow. you can try btw

Funkin'
02-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Why not just use TvT.com? The site is great for cartoons.

megabyteme
02-02-2011, 08:37 PM
CleverMan, what can you tell me about TorrentKids? I found this review on filenetworks, but it doesn't tell me much about ease of seeding, content worth grabbing, etc. I would be interested in learning more. Thanks!

Funkin, I grabbed Duck Tales from them just the other day. It is a good suggestion since I am up over 300GB there. They appear to be down at the moment. I will look at them a bit closer. Thanks, buddy!

C'mon people, how could you deny my family cartoons?

http://nitinrohidas.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/white-women-black-kid.jpg

Speedo
02-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Have you tried being nice to people?

megabyteme
02-02-2011, 11:58 PM
That could work. Know any?

Actually, it is a shame the site only keeps the last 1000 posts. I was very helpful (and am when I see promise in new members), and have had a lot to say about the potential of this site and the BT community. Sadly, most come here to act like greedy fools- so I treat them accordingly.

Green Goblin
02-03-2011, 06:38 AM
you have seen the kids section at IPT right?

Disme
02-03-2011, 07:20 AM
PM me your home adress and I'll send you one of my 2 TB HDD's filled with childrens movies and shows.

Been entertaining them for over 10 years now :)

megabyteme
02-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks, Goblin. Looks to be a great section. I found Danger Mouse while giving it a once over! :w00t::w00t::w00t: I like that they have an easy to search "kids section". That is one area that TVT seems to be lacking. I don't know what shows I want until I see them...

That's one heck of a collection, Disme! Any particular sites that have been gold mines for you? The amount of data involved does bring up some interesting questions regarding the most efficient/secure way to transfer that many files without risk of damage/loss/cost. Mail seems like a good way to do it- excluding the possibility of damage while traveling internationally twice. Even with my better-than-some monthly cap of 250GB- that's still 8 full months of downloading :O. FTP might be good for picking and choosing.

You've obviously got some lucky kids who has a dad willing/able to find them so much fun stuff to watch. :)

ScottK
02-03-2011, 02:37 PM
i just checked, those apps closed & not going to open soon :(
so forget it if you intend to keep checking.

anon
02-03-2011, 04:44 PM

MBM is one of the coolest members this forum has.

megabyteme
02-03-2011, 06:14 PM
There's a signature quote if I've ever seen one. Thanks, anon! :happy:

anon
02-03-2011, 06:25 PM
You're welcome :)

IdolEyes787
02-03-2011, 07:39 PM

You mean like all the insincere people here and on other sites that continue to contribute only as much and as long as they think there still might be some appreciable ( beyond friendship or actual interest) benefit to them ?

Sites are already awash with such assholes and God knows more will surface here and elsewhere without you assisting the process.
If MBM wishes to remain his incredibly annoying , unlikable but genuine self , then please don't dissuade him.

megabyteme
02-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Just doing my part to make the world a bitter better place. :D

Disme
02-04-2011, 08:46 AM
That's one heck of a collection, Disme! Any particular sites that have been gold mines for you? The amount of data involved does bring up some interesting questions regarding the most efficient/secure way to transfer that many files without risk of damage/loss/cost. Mail seems like a good way to do it- excluding the possibility of damage while traveling internationally twice. Even with my better-than-some monthly cap of 250GB- that's still 8 full months of downloading :O. FTP might be good for picking and choosing.

You've obviously got some lucky kids who has a dad willing/able to find them so much fun stuff to watch. :)

The problem with me and the children's content I need(ed) to find is that English isn't my kids mothertongue. Since they weren't able to read subtitles, that wasn't an option either and I needed to have my Disney/Pixar etc movies with Dutch/Flemish audio until very recently.

That's why I can't really advise you on places where to find decent English childrens content. I know tons of places with Dutch content where I can find any childrens movie or TV-show in Dutch/Flemish. The main/popular movies are found everywhere I think, and for the non-English tv-shows, there's little that beats Usenet imo.

Recently I've been able to download English movies with Dutch subtitles since their reading is well enough now for them to read those Dutch subtitles.

My kids have everything they want when it comes to movies/tv-shows/games/apps, etc ... if it's digital I can get it for them.
Only problem is that after some time they expect me to get them movies/tvshows/music/games, etc ... and don't appreciate it like when I was little and getting a movie/games/music-cd was quite a big happening.

brightsid
02-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Probably you've heard that before but your kids are too young to watch tv.
http://childrenshospitalblog.org/is-it-okay-to-use-cartoons-to-keep-my-baby-busy-while-i-clean-the-house/

or

I'm just offtopic

megabyteme
02-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I grew up in a small town in the 1980's. I remember hurrying to get to the video store and back on my allotted 30 minute lunch breaks at school. Of course, the VHS tapes had to be returned the following day. Total distance walked for each movie ~1.5 to 1.75 miles.

Not to worry, brightsid. My kids are 20 days from their first birthday. We won't be watching television heavily until after they turn 1. :P

They actually have a lot of interactive toys and get attention constantly. We do everything mentioned in your link, just need some time out when I drink heavily, or mainline hard drugs. :P

BTW, there is no such thing as off-topic in this thread. :noes:

A
02-04-2011, 10:45 AM
My kids have everything they want when it comes to movies/tv-shows/games/apps, etc ... if it's digital I can get it for them.
Only problem is that after some time they expect me to get them movies/tvshows/music/games, etc ... and don't appreciate it like when I was little and getting a movie/games/music-cd was quite a big happening.
You can't blame them. They have been getting stuff for free without any effort their entire life :P

Disme
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
You can't blame them. They have been getting stuff for free without any effort their entire life :P

Oh, but I don't blame 'em. I blame myself :slap: I got them used to getting all they wanted in that area.
One of my collegues at work has adopted a different approach. He downloads a movie and than gives it to his children as a present with their birthday/New-Year or other holliday.

That's exactly why I wanted to let MBM know to be carefull what approach to take when it comes to providing your kids with 'free goods'.

A
02-04-2011, 01:44 PM
There is an anime-cartoon hybrid TV series, Wakfu, which is very entertaining, highly detailed ( since it is a background story to supplement the MMORPG they are developing ) and truly enjoyable to the likes of young and old alike, which is comparable to the TV series, Avatar : The Last Airbender. The only drawback is that, it is a french production and has to be viewed with subtitles. The complete first season can be found in Warez-BB ( with extras and stuff ). I highly recommend it :P. It was recommended to me by er4s3r, at that time, I was skeptical of it being a good show, but me and my three kid cousins are big fans of it now :D ( of course, they understand squat without my explanation, but the animation and fighting sequences are really cool to keep on watching it )

P.S : If I had an invite to CC, I would have invited you without giving a second thought, MBM, but a dedicated cartoon tracker never interested me as everything I download, its from Warez-BB

IdolEyes787
02-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I grew up in a small town in the 1980's. I remember hurrying to get to the video store and back on my allotted 30 minute lunch breaks at school. Of course, the VHS tapes had to be returned the following day. Total distance walked for each movie ~1.5 to 1.75 miles.

Not to worry, brightsid. My kids are 20 days from their first birthday. We won't be watching television heavily until after they turn 1. :P

Since you are apparently John Mellencamp can't you simply hire a nanny?
Btw nice story I can already see you regalling the offspring with heroic tales of your adventures to the vid- e- o store . " It was 10 miles there and back and uphill both ways". " During one particularly bad storm when the rain can down so hard it stripped flesh from the bone , I barely made it back alive with my precious copy of Body Rock".

Anyway since the kids are soon going to be one I think you can now just forgo the TV and safely move them on to hardcore bodybulding to pass the time.

megabyteme
02-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't mind my kids having it easy. Life is filled with kickdowns, disappointments, difficulties, and deficits. I don't see why there is a need to experience these at home. As long as you aren't a Canadian, bandwidth is cheap. Sure as heck beats that walk to the vid-e-o stooor. :P And since I am the one picking the titles, it's pretty likely to be something I want to watch, or at least can stand. No Justin Beeber, or Barney in this house!!! :angry:

Thanks for the kind words, Aby!

@Idol: If I wanted to see narcissistic men making fools of themselves, I would watch Waterworld and Battlefield Earth. More action, at least.

CleverMan
02-05-2011, 10:04 PM
CleverMan, what can you tell me about TorrentKids? I found this review on filenetworks, but it doesn't tell me much about ease of seeding, content worth grabbing, etc. I would be interested in learning more. Thanks!

That review is quite good. Here is a screenshot http://img511.imageshack.us/i/tkidsbr.jpg/
you should be able to judge about content and all.
About ease of seeding - not easy (well seeding is always easy, you just need to leave the client on running :D damn i'm so clever :lol:), considering # of leechers, but there is a bonus system, so no problems with ratio :) oh, and lots of golden-freeleech torrents

megabyteme
02-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Thank you for the screencap, CM. I believe the shows will have more value to them when they get a bit older. Right now, the babies seem to like bright colors, and quick pace. The modern animated movies, and shows like Duck Tales are working pretty good.

I truly appreciate your offer, but don't think they are ready yet.

wazza100
02-06-2011, 01:28 AM
^ i think someone had mentioned warez-bb, that has some decent toons but most links require a rshare or mupload acct.

anon
02-06-2011, 01:46 AM
They don't "require" a Premium account, although of course free user limitations are gone with one. Also, RS and MU don't have captchas, so they're pretty usable with jDownloader plus a reconnect script. :)

megabyteme
02-07-2011, 06:55 PM
BUMP.

Gief me CC, or gief me spam. :D

megabyteme
02-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for nufin', fukers. :snooty:

Maybe I should try again when the site has actually given out invites to its members. :lol:

Actually, I do appreciate several of the suggestions made. There are some sections on sites I already have that do offer enough kid's programming to keep my future felons busy for a while. :D

anon
02-11-2011, 01:48 AM
You know, megabyteme, I'm surprised ILT still hasn't opened registrations. They used to be perpetually open, making them many people's first private tracker, me being among those.

megabyteme
02-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks to everyone. I'm closing this now, and waiting for CC invites to get spread around again.

You's guys aren't really fukers, I was jus makin' that up. :D