PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend me a PSU?

Elvenmunky
02-13-2011, 12:30 PM
My current PSU is failing. It is waay past its warranty so I need a new one. I don't want to fork out loads of money on a new one but I want one that will last me for a few years. I don't want to spend money on unnecessary wattage so which PSU shall I buy? Here are my specs -

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5WDH Deluxe Mobo
6GB PC6400 DDRII RAM
500GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Asus Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
OCZ 700W PSU (faulty)
Linksys Wireless adapter
Creative Xtreme Gamer soundcard
Creative T7900 (7.1 Speakers)
Asus mw221u (22 inch monitor)
Microsoft wireless mouse
Microsoft wireless keyboard
Asus P5W-DH Deluxe Mobo

clocker
02-13-2011, 12:59 PM
I've been using Corsair power supplies for several years and been very happy.
I'd say anything over 600w would be sufficient and leave a bit of headroom for your hardware.

Elvenmunky
02-13-2011, 05:09 PM
I've been using Corsair power supplies for several years and been very happy.
I'd say anything over 600w would be sufficient and leave a bit of headroom for your hardware.

Thanx!

jamankhan
02-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Many OEM computer makers have power supplies 'made to order' from PSU manufacturers. They do this to make it fit into the space available in their case design layout. The byproduct of this is that off the shelf power supplies will not physically fit into the space available. The first thing I would check is the physical dimensions of the old power supply, then try to replace it with one that fits.

Seattle Town Car (http://www.towncarseattle.com/)

Snee
02-27-2011, 12:02 PM
It's fairly certain it isn't a factory built computer just going by his specs, meaning it's more or less certain that it won't be a proprietary format on the psu.

You can't fit that mobo into a shuttle, and it's damned sure it's not an apple, or dell, or any other manufacturer I've seen using proprietary psus like you describe.

Detale
02-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Well I wouldn't say "many" OEM builders do this. Honestly I've only seen much older Dell machines this way. For the most part how would it be cost effective to have custom PSU's made up? OK I'll just say it. You're wrong Jamankhan.

clocker
02-28-2011, 01:21 AM
Yes, he is.