PDA

View Full Version : My ISP is by-passing Firefox's address bar search

Frankthetank1
02-20-2011, 10:30 PM
My ISP is by-passing Firefox's address bar search. does anyone know how to fix this? is there an add-on on or something?

anon
02-20-2011, 10:35 PM
What do you mean with "bypassing"?

tesco
02-20-2011, 11:17 PM
You mean instead of google it's using your ISPs search engine?
Switch your DNS to another (openDNS will do the same as your ISP, but use opendns search, but you can disable that if you register with them and disable the setting).

anon
02-20-2011, 11:32 PM
(openDNS will do the same as your ISP, but use opendns search, but you can disable that if you register with them and disable the setting).

At least they only do it when the site you want to visit isn't loading. But if you don't like that (and I don't, but I use them anyway), I've heard Level3's servers are the next best thing:

Frankthetank1
02-21-2011, 02:36 AM
how do i change my dns or to open DNS. also will i get banned by torrent sits if i change my dns?

anon
02-21-2011, 04:33 PM
how do i change my dns or to open DNS.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/tools/opendsn-what-is-opendns-why-required-2/2587/ :)

also will i get banned by torrent sits if i change my dns?

No, you will not. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using an alternative DNS service. I've done that for years. I don't think trackers can even tell you're doing it.

Frankthetank1
02-25-2011, 12:56 AM
i tried open dns and it made me lag really bad so i switched to googles

anon
02-25-2011, 01:02 AM
You can use Namebench to check which servers are the fastest for you. I did the test and it said OpenDNS was the fastest of them all, but as you can see that varies from computer to computer.

Sporkk
02-25-2011, 01:12 AM
I wasn't aware such a service was available. thank you!! Blocking phishing sites sounds like a huge advantage as well but is it any better than the filters already on firefox?

anon
02-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Blocking phishing sites sounds like a huge advantage as well but is it any better than the filters already on firefox?

OpenDNS runs Phishtank. If that's the service you've been using in Firefox, then it should be the same, just done at the DNS level.

zot
02-25-2011, 01:31 AM
My biggest complaint with most DNS servers is webpage forwarding. There's nothing more aggravating than having to type in a really long address -- missing it by a single letter -- and then getting forwarded to an "oops" page, and then having to re-type the entire address all over again from the beginning. It seems that more and more ISPs are now set up this way, as was Open DNS when I tried it.

With the "old" way of getting a 404 error page when a wrong address is typed, I could just look up at the address bar and see what I had just typed, and correct a letter or two. Much, much less work.

Does anyone know of a DNS service that will NOT forward mis-typed addresses?

anon
02-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Does anyone know of a DNS service that will NOT forward mis-typed addresses?

Level3's are supposed not to do that. Check post #4 in this thread. :)