PDA

View Full Version : Usenet or BT?

freddy-8
02-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Hello can someone please explain to me the difference in terms of when releases come out?
I know Usenet costs money but is it really worth it compared to the top private trackers?

nothere7
02-21-2011, 04:32 AM
BT has much more rare content. Zero cost.

Usenet is secure, fast speeds & no upload but you have to pay monthly.

anon
02-21-2011, 04:47 PM
There are free providers (although you obviously don't get the same results), and the paid ones don't cost that much, either, but that depends on where you live - where I come from, the exchange rate for the euro is ridiculously lop-sided. I don't know what the "difference in terms of when releases come out" is, because I frankly couldn't care less about such things - if the file's available, I'll grab it, and if it isn't, I'll just wait until it is.

As with everything, each method has its advantages and disadvantages, but it you just want to get new releases at fast speeds with no ratio worries or shit (and are willing to pay, of course), Usenet's probably the way to go. For everything else, there's niche trackers. :D

Personally, I use one-click hosters. I'm too lazy to learn the ins and outs of newsgroups, so they're the perfect interpunct between that and BT's ease of use. You may want to check this thread, there's a pretty long discussion there, with very detailed posts:
http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/428243-BT-vs-Usenet

bijoy
02-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Simply, if you have connection with high upload speed, then go for bt, and you will understand pro & cons of it in some days ;)
Otherwise, stick with usenet & 2-3 torrent sites(trackers) like bcg, what.cd/waffles. :)

zot
02-21-2011, 06:39 PM
To me it's not an "either/or" situation. I use both probably about equally.

They are both valuable resources that supplement each other. Often something gets posted to Usenet that is not available on Bittorrent, and vice-versa. Also, I've found that Bittorrent can sometimes work better than NNTP under very poor connections, such as when using a distant wi-fi signal with a lot of dropouts.

anon
02-21-2011, 06:47 PM
To me it's not an "either/or" situation. I use both probably about equally.

They are both valuable resources that supplement each other. Often something gets posted to Usenet that is not available on Bittorrent, and vice-versa.

Same here. I've sometimes had to resort to torrents to get stuff that wasn't on any of my warez forums/search engines. Sadly, there's no way of downloading that has everything and no drawbacks. And the bigger trackers (RuTracker, Demonoid, TPB) are more likely to have that old release that's gone from hosters or never got uploaded there in the first place.

Vorx
02-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Money is much better spent on a Seedbox than a Usenet Subscription.

IdolEyes787
02-22-2011, 03:06 AM

OK to me that is silly talk . Bt was never intended to be something that you had to pay to use . It was suppose to be about sharing files that interested you ,hopefully to the best of your ability and not about 'building ratio " so that (presumably ) later you can hit and run to your hearts content.At least that is what is implied in your statement.

At least usenet is very upfront about being a business and any incurred expense comes with the territory. That I can respect ,the other I cannot.

Vorx
02-22-2011, 03:11 AM

OK to me that is silly talk . Bt was never intended to be something that you had to pay to use . It was suppose to be about sharing files that interested you ,hopefully to the best of your ability and not about 'building ratio " so that (presumably ) later you can hit and run to your hearts content.At least that is what is implied in your statement.

At least usenet is very upfront about being a business and any incurred expense comes with the territory. That I can respect ,the other I cannot.

The main reason i buy a seedbox is 2 things. One, is so that i can download large, old content without being banned (by building up a buffer beforhand), and 2, is so that once the box expires, im still able to use ratio websites which are hard to maintain without a seedbox, I.E. BMTV.

Funkin'
02-22-2011, 04:04 AM

Great suggestion...

IdolEyes787
02-22-2011, 01:50 PM

The main reason i buy a seedbox is 2 things. One, is so that i can download large, old content without being banned (by building up a buffer beforhand), and 2, is so that once the box expires, im still able to use ratio websites which are hard to maintain without a seedbox, I.E. BMTV.

So that's basically what I already said .:unsure:

anon
02-22-2011, 04:05 PM

In Usenet, both concerns don't exist to begin with. You can download as much as you want, and the files go directly to your home computer, instead of having to be FTPed from a box. And your home PC is where you'll want to have the stuff you grab, unless you're leeching just to keep a good ratio, which once again doesn't happen with newsgroups because they're an all-you-can-east for warez :P

Vorx
02-22-2011, 10:46 PM

In Usenet, both concerns don't exist to begin with. You can download as much as you want, and the files go directly to your home computer, instead of having to be FTPed from a box. And your home PC is where you'll want to have the stuff you grab, unless you're leeching just to keep a good ratio, which once again doesn't happen with newsgroups because they're an all-you-can-east for warez :P

What i meant, was that if i build a huge buffer one month with a seedbox. and the next month i can afford it (under the assumption that a seedbox costs teh same a a usenet acc) then i can still leech without the fear of being banned for have a shit ratio. Also, you find me a NZB site with the same amount of music as What.CD or Waffles.FM

anon
02-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Also, you find me a NZB site with the same amount of music as What.CD or Waffles.FM

I never said there's one. I even wrote there's niche trackers for the sort of stuff you don't find in Usenet, back in post #3. You won't find any way of downloading that has absolutely everything...

Vorx
02-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Also, you find me a NZB site with the same amount of music as What.CD or Waffles.FM

I never said there's one. I even wrote there's niche trackers for the sort of stuff you don't find in Usenet, back in post #3. You won't find any way of downloading that has absolutely everything...

That may be, but i would expect for BitTorrent to have the most content over all otehr forms of file sharing.

IdolEyes787
02-22-2011, 11:28 PM

What i meant, was that if i build a huge buffer one month with a seedbox. and the next month i can afford it (under the assumption that a seedbox costs teh same a a usenet acc) then i can still leech without the fear of being banned for have a shit ratio. Also, you find me a NZB site with the same amount of music as What.CD or Waffles.FM

I doubt if any of this will filter through that thick skull but see my previous posts.

Addendum : If you can't survive on any sites without a seedbox then either you shouldn't be a member there or more rightly there is probably something seriously wrong with them and you probably shouldn't want to be a member there .

Btw you are largely what is wrong with bt as it currently exists.

Vorx
02-23-2011, 01:02 AM

I doubt if any of this will filter through that thick skull but see my previous posts.

Addendum : If you can't survive on any sites without a seedbox then either you shouldn't be a member there or more rightly there is probably something seriously wrong with them and you probably shouldn't want to be a member there .

Btw you are largely what is wrong with bt as it currently exists.

I can, i just find it faster and easier to use a seedbox.

charon
02-23-2011, 08:54 AM
But it will take you way more time to build a good buffer on let's say, 2 or 3 hard to seed trackers ( by time i mean time spent when i can do something else than just choosing my downloads, preseeding, RSS errors sometime, etc... ). All this keeping in mind that we're talking about a seedbox that costs as much as a usenet account ( if i would have the money for a seedbox with 1GB connection and 1 TB hdd, i think i'll still decide it's not worth it ). For me, who i'm interested only about movies i find usenet very useful in 95 % and for the rest is TPB 3-4 % and 1-2 % for niche trackers when i want something really rare.

The only problem i see with the usenet is the retention time ( 900+ days ) but things may change in the future and you can allways try to make a request on sites like NZBsRus or just wait untill someone uploads the stuff you're interested again if expired.

This is my conclusion after years of trying to maintain a good ratio on those hard to seed trackers (for me at least) and funny, even after i got a seedbox and built a very good buffer on them now... i said it's enough. If moving from BT to Usenet was a good or wrong decision i don't know for sure yet but i'll stick with it for the moment.

One more thing about using a seedbox, if you're not an uploader or something like this i don't consider it to be file sharing.

Hypatia
02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
he only problem i see with the usenet is the retention time ( 900+ days )

lol? its more than 2,5 years(and still growing) on maximum speed 100% of time ..not many torrents live that much,and even if they are active ,download speed is awful(i had several of those on hdbits)

movies(blurays,bdrips,dvdrips),tv-series, games, soft= usenet
music,anime= private trackers

Cabalo
02-28-2011, 08:51 PM

NZBIndex.nl

vBooM
02-28-2011, 09:25 PM
I use both, both the same IMO, torrents great for new TV and Movies.... Usenet + matrix = good for albums and apps.

charon
02-28-2011, 10:34 PM
The only problem i see with the usenet is the retention time ( 900+ days )

lol? its more than 2,5 years(and still growing) on maximum speed 100% of time ..not many torrents live that much,and even if they are active ,download speed is awful(i had several of those on hdbits)

movies(blurays,bdrips,dvdrips),tv-series, games, soft= usenet
music,anime= private trackers

I was talking about that movies that you know for sure that must have been uploaded to Usenet a while ago ( i being new to Usenet ) but expired and now can only be found on niche trackers or what i said in my previous post.

I never cared so much about the speed when i was using torrent sites as long as everything was free, the content was more important. I do care now though, when i'm paying for it.

UsenetGuy
03-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Definately Usenet. While I agree that not everything is on Usenet, I could say the same about BitTorrent.

With BitTorrent it's all about keeping a ratio, something many of us don't have the time or patience to do. Not only that but you also have to deal with unpleasent tracker admins, users and making sure you don't do anything to get banned.

Plus you often have to hunt for invites to join a site, which although "private", does not actually make it secure.

To keep a ratio on many trackers, especially 0sec ones, you'd also need a seedbox.. which is more expensive than usenet in most circumstances.

With Usenet you have to pay for access, if you want decent speeds and retention at least. It is generally pretty cheap with truly unlimited plans from $10/mo.

You can have no speed limit and no download limit, meaning it's all you can eat access.

There is no need to worry about keeping a ratio, as no such thing exists.

You also don't have to waste time becoming friends with others and sucking up to admins.

256-bit SSL encryption is available and no download logs are kept. It is pretty much as secure as you can get in terms of downloading warez.

There is a learning curve to usenet, so it does take a while to get used to. The same could be said for bittorrent, however it's far less complicated.

Scene releases are posted slower than the top private trackers get them. This is due to posters needing to generate PAR2 files. However we are talking a few minutes delay in most cases, not hours or anything.

--------

I may seem biased towards one of the two, also my name is UsenetGuy so it's kind of obvious which side i'm a supporter of. However I was a long-time user of BitTorrent before I moved onto usenet. I've been on all the major trackers and helped run two of them as well. Even spent a year or two on scene ftps, ran my own prebot and scene network. The only thing I never got into was file hosters, they just never appealed to me. :)

Disme
03-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Been using them both (to be correct all three, since I also use DDL) for quite some time now and they both have their pro's and con's.

A combo of both has proven ideal for me. I can find everything I want ... if it ain't on BT than it probably is on Usenet and vice versa, and if it's not than I can still be lucky and find it on a DDL-site.

If by any chance I can't find it using all three methods I can still request it on some tracker/Usenet-board/DDL-board.

heiska
03-19-2011, 06:57 PM
What kind of releases?

Healthtourism guides, of course.

Evelyn
03-22-2011, 08:17 PM
BT all the way,...

anon
03-22-2011, 08:19 PM
BT all the way,...

Thanks for the well represented and backed-up claim. You've just enriched everyone in the FST community with that post.

IdolEyes787
03-22-2011, 08:59 PM
BT all the way,...

Thanks for the well represented and backed-up claim. You've just enriched everyone in the FST community with that post.

I was going to say "where do you think his next inspiring post will be in the invite or the trade section" but I see the question has already been answered.

http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/428757-Bit-Hdtv-IPT-SDBits-Acid-Lounge-BTN/page8

Tokeman
03-23-2011, 03:24 PM
With more and more ISPs introducing caps, I think a combo of both is the best choice. I use newsgroups whenever possible, and use BT for rare and unique items.

With BT, you have double the traffic for everything you grab. This adds up quickly. Using newsgroups to grab everyday stuff (0 day tv, music, movies) saves a lot of traffic for me, allowing me to download more then ever even with my ISPs cap. Well worth the ~$10 a month for unlimited newsgroup access if it allows me to get almost double the media.

shipwreck
03-23-2011, 04:38 PM
You people in North America are really screwed. Speeds and bandwidth are increasing everywhere around the globe, your carriers turn the clock backwards and and introduce caps. Bizarre.

anon
03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Even my, hm, developing country has no caps. :idunno:

I once had the same "question" as you, too. Asked around and was told caps are there because people are willing to pay for extra bandwidth and tiered plans, which ISPs see as a source of extra profit.

Tokeman
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Here, the cap is not for profit. If you break the cap, you have no option to pay. Once, you get a warning, twice, and you get terminated for a year. No option to pay for more traffic or pay for the extra usage. No plans to do tiered plans either with my ISP. Cap has been in place for a few years now. 250GB total for up/down per month. No roll over.

But speeds are far Superior to the competition and its much cheaper as well, so I deal with the cap :\

Cabalo
03-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Some ISP's, like mine does, have a fair usage policy.
What this really means is that after 500Gb downstreamed, they may enforce throttling on your pipe. But this only happens if you consistently go over these limits, say, for 3 months in a row.

mjmacky
03-23-2011, 08:43 PM
There's really no reason for caps, the article is on here pointing out that we're paying 20-100 times the cost of our internet or some noise like that.

Evelyn
03-24-2011, 10:53 PM
I was going to say "where do you think his next inspiring post will be in the invite or the trade section" but I see the question has already been answered.

you were wrong :P mR IdolEyes aka stalker !! my latest post is in drawing room.
OMG OMG stop following me, if you see my odd 30+ posts in this forum, all closely followed by you, are u a ghost or my shadow :P

Some ISP's, like mine does, have a fair usage policy.
What this really means is that after 500Gb downstreamed, they may enforce throttling on your pipe. But this only happens if you consistently go over these limits, say, for 3 months in a row.
indeed FUP
some places its defined as "fair usage policy" and someplaces "fuck usage policy" like mine does reduced download speed to 1/8th after crossing 100GB

anon
03-24-2011, 10:59 PM

Nope, it's the one I'm quoting. :whistling

res0r9lm
03-27-2011, 07:43 AM
If you have a cap and you have usenet through you ISP does that bandwidth count since it doesn't leave network? North America is a pretty big place not everyone has caps. I usually go thru 4TB a month just on torrents.

julius
03-28-2011, 02:15 AM
I look this old post really good thanks for this post.

Tokeman
03-29-2011, 03:11 PM
If you have a cap and you have usenet through you ISP does that bandwidth count since it doesn't leave network? North America is a pretty big place not everyone has caps. I usually go thru 4TB a month just on torrents.

My ISP counts ALL traffic, even traffic used utilizing its own backup service that you PAY them for. Go figure :P

IdolEyes787
03-29-2011, 05:44 PM
OMG OMG stop following me, if you see my odd 30+ posts in this forum, all closely followed by you, are u a ghost or my shadow :P

I'm afraid that you are giving yourself too much credit and boredom too little.:mellow:

PT8023
03-29-2011, 09:20 PM
You are right.