PDA

View Full Version : Trying to coonect 4 halogen spots

100%
02-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Hi Tech Image
http://i.imgur.com/pirwq.jpg

Trying to connect 4 halogens 10w with 12V adapter. Is it correct to do the upper version? Tried it but the lights are really dim. If i do the lower version will it be correct?

The wires i am using to connect them all are thicker than the thin ones it came with. So i am worried that, the thickness might be the problem...

Thank you in advance.

(n)

callum
02-23-2011, 10:49 PM
The bottom one is correct. The thicker wire won't cause any problems apart from maybe making it more difficult to fit in to the terminals.

callum
02-23-2011, 10:57 PM
The top one is wired in series and the bottom is wired in parallel.
This explains why your lights are dim.

As an example, consider a very simple circuit consisting of four light bulbs and one 6 V battery. If a wire joins the battery to one bulb, to the next bulb, to the next bulb, to the next bulb, then back to the battery, in one continuous loop, the bulbs are said to be in series. If each bulb is wired to the battery in a separate loop, the bulbs are said to be in parallel. If the four light bulbs are connected in series, there is same current through all of them, and the voltage drop is 1.5 V across each bulb, which may not be sufficient to make them glow. If the light bulbs are connected in parallel, the currents through the light bulbs combine to form the current in the battery, while the voltage drop is 6.0 V across each bulb and they all glow.

100%
02-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks Callum, especially for the explanation. I thought i found a short cut.

Just needed confirmation.

Pity, now i go an cut twist cut pull, connect repeat.

4 halogens behind semi sexually transparent blinds will be worth it.

Merci Callum

tesco
02-23-2011, 11:20 PM
The bottom one (parallel) is correct.
What is the wattage of the adapter these are plugging into? Make sure it's rated for the 40watts. If it doesn't say watts, then it should be at least 3.5 amps (40watts divided by 12 volts = 3.333amps)

Barbarossa
02-25-2011, 01:28 AM
I can only see three in those pictures :dabs:

There's your problem :smilie4:

chalice
02-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Zed, I seriously hope you die of elocutionary poisoning.

True story.

100%
02-27-2011, 10:36 PM
I reconnected it all. Now they shine.
Thank you.