PDA

View Full Version : smart uninstaller? Do you use one?

Frankthetank1
03-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Do you guys use any software to uninstall a program? if so what can you recommend?

anon
03-04-2011, 03:24 AM
I use Sandboxie to try stuff, so no need for a uninstaller.

bijoy
03-04-2011, 06:19 AM
windows default uninstaller is good. (assuming that you are talking about win platform.)

Cabalo
03-04-2011, 05:45 PM
windows default uninstaller is good. (assuming that you are talking about win platform.)

He must referring to uninstallers that completely remove registry keys plus configuration files, usually left behind by standard uninstallers.
I use this one: http://www.revouninstaller.com/ , I have only good things to say about it. If you need it, I can post it at our NZB index.

bijoy
03-04-2011, 07:32 PM

He must referring to uninstallers that completely remove registry keys plus configuration files, usually left behind by standard uninstallers.
I use this one: http://www.revouninstaller.com/ , I have only good things to say about it. If you need it, I can post it at our NZB index.

well, if you have that nzb, please go ahead & post in nzb section.
Your point sounds good. If any uninstaller can force remove registry entries then I can use any trial version again & again without using trial reseters. :w00t:

Cabalo
03-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Done, posted.

zot
03-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I should say that I've been burned before using some of those "100% complete" uninstallers. The biggest problem seems to be when the installation over-writes critical Windows system files, and backup-copies are not saved. Then uninstalling the software can result in a non-bootable PC. (The act of installing certain software can also result in an un-bootable PC, which is why using sand boxes can be a good insurance policy )

I don't know if or how Vista/7 allows this situation, but it was an issue on Microsoft systems up through XP.

Back in the days when I was trying out a lot of trial software, I used "rollback" utilities such as Powerquest Second Chance (win98 only), Farstone VirtualBack/RestoreIt and FirstDefense-ISR. The latest is Rollback Rx. Similar to Windows System Restore, but more thorough. GoBack was probably the most well known rollback utility, but also (IMHO) the worst choice of any I've used.

There are also specialized trial-extenders that are designed to defeat all the common software DRM schemes such as Armadillo. I've not followed this arms-race lately, so I can't recommend any.

Frankthetank1
03-05-2011, 03:13 AM
thanks revouninstaller (http://filesharingtalk.com/external/?http://www.revouninstaller.com/) is very well reviewed and seems like a solid program.

GreenTea
03-05-2011, 04:13 AM
CCleaner: Simple and FREE. :D
http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :)

Cleans the following:

* Internet Explorer
* Firefox
* Google Chrome
* Opera
* Safari
* Windows - Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.
* Registry cleaner
* Third-party applications
* 100% Spyware FREE

Frankthetank1
03-05-2011, 05:06 AM
it does not remove configuration files or folder left behind by standard uninstallers.

GreenTea
03-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Well, I guess the Revo Uninstaller is the better option for you then.
It allows you to scan for leftover files after uninstallation.
You will be asked to select the files it finds for deletion.

trololol
03-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I use the stock uninstaller + CCleaner.

Frankthetank1
03-06-2011, 10:51 PM
that will not get rid of left over install files and folders.
I use the stock uninstaller + CCleaner.

Expeto
03-09-2011, 07:01 PM
+1 for the Revo Uninstaller which I used a few times.

There is really no way of getting rid of unnecessary folders in windows. It works as a cluster-fuck of folders

oscare
03-10-2011, 03:10 AM
I also used it
it will show the registry entries dangerous to delete in red ,that is useful feature many times my windows messed up because of registry issues when i used other software's

cocowoo
03-22-2011, 09:49 AM
which is why using sand boxes can be a good insurance policy

XDA
03-27-2011, 04:31 AM
I use Revo Uninstaller Pro.

Krik
04-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Revo Uninstaller Pro

scrambler
04-29-2011, 05:10 PM
i use your uninstaller. Never had a problem. But i don't know how it compares to others as i haven't tried anything else.

Stabber
04-29-2011, 05:28 PM
I use revouninstaller because it's 64bit native and it works great with windows xp x64 whereas youruninstaller doesn't.

kiddoman
05-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I know one! It is a chinese software, pretty useful, but you may not like it! named 360

Piccolo
05-06-2011, 12:09 AM
I use Your Uninstaller! is the best.

swizZ8
05-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Revo Uninstaller, its working perfectly.