PDA

View Full Version : Separation of Powers

03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't want to get into the controversial nature of the D.O.M.A. law, but rather the President's response to it. He said that he believed it was an unconstitutional law and therefore he instructed his justice department to no longer defend it. Essentially, ending any court appeals and allowing lower court rulings to stand against it.

When did he become the Supreme Court?

Where does it say in the Constitution that he gets to decide which laws are unconstitutional? Where does it say that he gets to decide which laws he will enforce and which ones he won't enforce?

He's the executive branch of government, he should do his job, and leave the constitutional questions up to the judicial branch of government-- the Supreme Court.

He has set a very dangerous precedent here.

In February 2013, President Donald Trump could say that Obamacare is unconstitutional and order the justice department to stop defending it in court, making the law worthless.

devilsadvocate
03-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Yet again you appear oblivious to history.

I suggest you research the career of chief justice John Roberts.

mjmacky
03-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Not having the Justice Department defend the law based on constitutionality is not the same as making the law "worthless". Obama isn't setting a precedent either, this has happened several times before, you just have no idea what you're talking about before you make a point. The justice department would typically be the ones defending the law in front of the supreme court. Just because you don't have the justice department playing that role, doesn't mean it will never have a party defending it.

When did he become the Supreme Court?
This would be the stupidest thing you said. It demonstrates you have absolutely no idea what actually happened. We're not here to educate you about historical and current events, but consider this a courtesy when I point out that you are completely clueless thus far. Instead of attempting to discuss your baseless opinions, try to understand the story first.

03-11-2011, 04:37 PM
So, just to be clear...

You'll be okay with President Trump declaring Obamacare to be unconstitutional in 2013, and instructing his justice department to stop defending any lawsuits against it?

You'll be okay with President Trump deciding he doesn't like a particular law passed by a previous congress and previous administration, and deciding that he will simply do nothing to enforce it? It will be okay for him to ignore the laws passed by a previous legislature? It will fine for him to decide whether a law is Constitutional or not, without waiting to hear what the Supreme Court has to say about it?

devilsadvocate
03-11-2011, 07:56 PM
So, just to be clear...

You'll be okay with President Trump declaring Obamacare to be unconstitutional in 2013, and instructing his justice department to stop defending any lawsuits against it?

You'll be okay with President Trump deciding he doesn't like a particular law passed by a previous congress and previous administration, and deciding that he will simply do nothing to enforce it? It will be okay for him to ignore the laws passed by a previous legislature? It will fine for him to decide whether a law is Constitutional or not, without waiting to hear what the Supreme Court has to say about it?
You've got quite a hardon for rugman haven't you. Who said DOMA isn't going to be enforced?

If you'd like to retry making your initial point have at it. But as it stands your point is about President Obama setting a "dangerous precedent". All I've done so far is point out your lacking knowledge of history on this particular subject, which I did because this isn't a new thing. I even suggested you check out the career of the current chief justice of the SCOTUS.

mjmacky
03-11-2011, 11:25 PM
President Trump
So you're still asking questions... when you're clearly screaming not to be taken seriously. You must be trolling. I considered your attempts to be trolling before, but I've seen the inherited conservative ideology being spouted by privileged kids before, so it does exist in reality. But with that statement, this is obvious deliberate trolling. If you want to do it correctly, you need to understand the facts a little better, you're making as much sense as Sheen.

03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
http://shouldtrumprun.com/

It's a longshot, I know, and it is wishful thinking on my part, but I would love to see him run for President.

For one thing, what a cool slogan for bumper stickers: "Obama, You're Fired!"

clocker
03-15-2011, 11:17 PM
http://shouldtrumprun.com/

It's a longshot, I know, and it is wishful thinking on my part, but I would love to see him run for President.

For one thing, what a cool slogan for bumper stickers: "Obama, You're Fired!"
Not nearly as good as Newt's..."I'm NOT black!".