PDA

View Full Version : Why does Christian Bale get lead roles?

iLOVENZB
03-17-2011, 12:43 PM
:unsure:

He's a terrible actor. I forgave him in Batman because it was evident he had to disguise his voice the public but what in the name of Christopher Nolan was his excuse in The Prestige? :blink:

mjmacky
03-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Thank you, I fucking hate his stoic expressions being passed off as acting.

IdolEyes787
03-17-2011, 01:34 PM
I could state the obvious that his movies make a lot of money and until they cease to do so irritating to you as it is he will still be offered leading roles but I won't.

As for his l acting skill I think you are confusing lack of range with lack of talent. Some actors can convey a great deal without outwardly expressing a lot .
Suggest for (maybe ) better appreciation of what he has to offer you watch The Machinist or Harsh Times or American Psycho or The Fighter.

megabyteme
03-17-2011, 03:39 PM
I believe his Batman role has been overrated, but for the movies listed by Idol (I could look up some others, but am on my way to bed), I have considered him talented, and enjoyable. His role in The Fighter (where he plays a washed-up, crack addicted failure) showed me that he is still willing to take good roles (and make them shine) even if they are not glamorous, look at me, I'm either too good for this role and phoning it in, or sticking to typecast, comfortable roles.

Bale has shown his talent and range, IMO. He seems to enjoy variety and works hard in his roles.

Edit- compare him to Tom Cruise, or Nicholas Cage to clarify above. He's not a pretty-boy "superspy", nor cartoonish take every role and make it mediocre actor.

KFlint
03-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Having just watched The Fighter I have problems seeing the lack of range expressed, his performance was impressive.

mjmacky
03-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I'll give some leeway on the Fighter, but I could have done without his role in it. Batman films, Equilibrium, Public Enemies, have all caused me to have an irritated reaction to him. Others could have done more amazing things with those roles... instead it's given to him. Mark Wahlberg, as predictable as he can be in some roles, does amazing work in others (I <3 Huckabees, 4 Brothers, 3 kings).
Harsh Times is a film I have yet to see.
You know I also had the same disgust with Tom Cruise and I was told over and over again he was so great in Tropic Thunder. I finally watched the movie, it sucked, and his performance was a bit low brow and juvenile. So I'm not really receptive to people trying to sell me someone's acting (temporally, as this was recent).

megabyteme
03-17-2011, 09:33 PM
So I'm not really receptive to people trying to sell me someone's acting.

That's fair enough. I've had people attempt to justify Travolta's continued employment (since Welcome Back Cotter was canceled), and they have failed to do so. Bale is FAR better than Travolta, so I am saying that CB is well above the sludge line, and doesn't really belong in a "he sucks" thread like this one.

There are a lot of "movie stars" out there who continually get roles for that notoriety. Bale has earned his work, IMO.

What standards are you setting? Are you looking for Shakespearean actors? Bale wouldn't be too good in that sort of role, granted. However, playing emotionally troubled, angst-driven, modern characters he does pretty good. Who would be better in his roles? (The Batman franchise can be left out since there are at least two others who have stank up the role FAR worse.)

mjmacky
03-17-2011, 09:42 PM
That's fair enough. I've had people attempt to justify Travolta's continued employment (since Welcome Back Cotter was canceled), and they have failed to do so. Bale is FAR better than Travolta, so I am saying that CB is well above the sludge line, and doesn't really belong in a "he sucks" thread like this one.

There are a lot of "movie stars" out there who continually get roles for that notoriety. Bale has earned his work, IMO.

What standards are you setting? Are you looking for Shakespearean actors? Bale wouldn't be too good in that sort of role, granted. However, playing emotionally troubled, angst-driven, modern characters he does pretty good. Who would be better in his roles? (The Batman franchise can be left out since there are at least two others who have stank up the role FAR worse.)
If I knew that, I could really make it as a casting director. I would at least try a response, but I'm running out of time and have to head into the lab so... to be continued

megabyteme
03-17-2011, 09:48 PM
If I knew that, I could really make it as a casting director. I would at least try a response, but I'm running out of time and have to head into the lab so... to be continued

I'm hoping your "superior intellect" can come up with something more than, "I think he sucks". I'll wait for that "overly analytical" response.

Good luck with that batch of Meth!

shipwreck
03-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Christian Bale is a good, solid actor. In today's ocean of turd, that's quite something.

iLOVENZB
03-18-2011, 09:30 AM
I'll take a look at The Fighter tomorrow when I got to the video store.

KFlint
03-18-2011, 03:07 PM
...to the video store.

Is there such thing? :whistling

mjmacky
03-18-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm hoping your "superior intellect" can come up with something more than, "I think he sucks". I'll wait for that "overly analytical" response.
That's assuming I'm trying to troll here, but I feel such an irritation when watching him play a role. It just makes we want to scream out, "do something that makes you seem like an interesting character!"
So I FINALLY checked out American Psycho, I've had too many people recommend it. It was a huge fucking waste of time. Not only was the movie bad, this supposed solid actor did nothing to sell the role to me. It was at about 42 minutes that I started to skip ahead and see the "twist" or "payoff" wasn't worth the 0.75 hours I put into this crap.

Christian Bale is a good, solid actor. In today's ocean of turd, that's quite something.
Disagree, as I am pretty picky about identifying talented actors, there are still plenty of canoes swatting there oars at a floating Bale. If I can think of some of my favorite male actors right now, it would be Neeson, Giamatti, DeFoe, Downey Jr., Bridges, Damon.

IdolEyes787
03-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Umm first did you understand that the whole thing was meant to be a comedy or the that the character of Patrick Bateman was basically suppose to be nothing more that a pretty mask hiding emptiness underneath?

Bateman doesn't kill because he's evil ,he kills to combat that nothingness . I won't see how anyone is suppose to be both "nothing" and interesting.:unsure:

mjmacky
03-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Umm first did you understand that the whole thing was meant to be a comedy
Do you mean the scene where he does a Jim Carrey impression?
The movie on a whole had a feeling of being spoof genre, but none of it was funny or interesting. I didn't have enough evidence to even consider classifying it as a comedy.

I won't see how anyone is suppose to be both "nothing" and interesting.:unsure:
I don't know, Dexter did a pretty good job at it

megabyteme
03-18-2011, 07:41 PM
It wasn't necessarily a comedy, but more of a disgusted look at the culture of the 1980's. This from the author:

[Bateman] was crazy the same way [I was]. He did not come out of me sitting down and wanting to write a grand sweeping indictment of yuppie culture. It initiated because my own isolation and alienation at a point in my life. I was living like Patrick Bateman. I was slipping into a consumerist kind of void that was supposed to give me confidence and make me feel good about myself but just made me feel worse and worse and worse about myself. That is where the tension of "American Psycho" came from. It wasn't that I was going to make up this serial killer on Wall Street. High concept. Fantastic. It came from a much more personal place, and that's something that I've only been admitting in the last year or so. I was so on the defensive because of the reaction to that book that I wasn't able to talk about it on that level.

The very short concept quite literally examines the "killing" that was taking place on Wall Street during the Reagan years, and the fact that no one was willing to admit that any of it was happening. If you were on Wall Street, you could do anything you wanted.

Once again, macky, you fail to prove yourself to be anything but mediocre-at best. Stick around long enough, and you may just find that the whispers of "greatness" in your head were simply fairy tales spoken by a delusional/denial-based mother.

You can't even analyze a popular movie. Do you have any demonstrable talents you'd like to share with the class? :unsure:

*EDIT- BTW, I'm still waiting for your "highly analytical" views on who would have given better performances in Bale's roles...

IdolEyes787
03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
That's from the author not the director.:unsure:

from rotten tomatoes

Mary Harron (I Shot Andy Warhol) and Guinevere Turner's (Go Fish) adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis's controversial novel distills the critically maligned book down to its ironic, satirical core. Wisely situating most of the novel's grisly action off-screen, Harron employs violence as a metaphor for the spiritually vacant materialism and corporate machismo of the Reagan '80s. Christian Bale (Velvet Goldmine) delivers a shining performance as the status-obsessed, psychotic broker Patrick Bateman--self-proclaimed expert in "murders and executions." Traveling amongst narcissistic, misogynistic, barely discernable corporate clones, Patrick spends his workdays obsessing over tasteful business cards, designer suits, and prime reservations at trendy restaurants. After hours, he dismembers prostitutes, models, transients, and literally gives a co-worker the axe in a series of increasingly surreal episodes, all prefaced by demented lectures on the virtues of Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, and Huey Lewis. Chloe Sevigny (Boys Don't Cry) and Resse Witherspoon (Election), as Patrick's secretary and fiancée, turn in strong performances, and Andrzej Sekula's stylish cinematography lends the film a stark, über-modern aesthetic reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange. While American Psycho does not venture deeply into the mind of its sick protagonist, it offers a sharp satire of the dark side of yuppie culture.

megabyteme
03-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Satire doesn't necessarily need to be comedy, or funny- just look at SNL over the past 2 decades. Does anyone even laugh anymore?

From Merriam-Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/satire)
Definition of SATIRE
: a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn
: trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

Regardless, I got the joke(s), and American Psycho is one of a handful of purchased blu-rays in my collection.

IdolEyes787
03-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah but you're ghey.

So Doctor Strangelove is classic satire and therefore a mediation on Man's foibles and not for yuks?

megabyteme
03-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Yeah but you're ghey.

:sadwalk:

So Doctor Strangelove is classic satire and therefore a mediation on Man's foibles and not for yuks?

Satire can be funny, and even be classic comedy; however, it doesn't have to be.

IdolEyes787
03-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Satire can be funny, and even be classic comedy; however, it doesn't have to be.

So sayeth the dictionaries but give me an example of any satire that didn't intend some humour connected to it.
Swift's stuff is the closest that I can think of but I figure he was still trying to be funny but was just awfully British .

megabyteme
03-18-2011, 08:53 PM
So sayeth the dictionaries but give me an example of any satire that didn't intend some humour connected to it.
Swift's stuff is the closest that I can think of but I figure he was still trying to be funny but was just awfully British .

Some humor? That sets the definition of comedy pretty low, doesn't it?

I did take a peek at Amazon's classification of American Psycho, and it is listed under Comedy>Satire

Let's look at the primary reason for the film... I do not believe it was meant to make people laugh about the '80s, nor murder. The author's original message remained intact. Granted, there were some "zany" scenes, but those were more high-budget horror-comedy (as opposed to ,say, Toxic Avenger). The vast majority of the show deals with looking at the superficial- as you said, "empty" life of the yuppie.

I believe we could watch the movie together, and both get all of the concepts in it. Is classification that important when we both "get it"- unlike our clueless thread "contributor", macky?

IdolEyes787
03-18-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm sure that I get I whole lot less than I think I do.
Anyway even though you were ( probably ) yolking film's a subjective and not a absolute medium so anyone's opinions are as valid as anyone else's.

mjmacky
03-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Inside Job <--- a much more interesting film about investment greed/power. I lack the innate interest in personal narratives of the rich, but when they as an institution are mass fucking people, I'd like to have the facts on that.
MBM, if you were someone I didn't like, I could really enjoy to hear about how much money you wasted on buying an American Psycho Bluray disc. But that not being the case, I'd just like to extend my condolences and let you know I'm here for you. Now at first, you may not want to accept my help, but I'm going to get you through this buddy.

clocker
03-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Inside Job is a documentary, American Psycho is fiction.
I caught a distinctly Batemanesque vibe from some of the heads interviewed though.

megabyteme
03-19-2011, 01:04 AM
MBM, if you were someone I didn't like, I could really enjoy to hear about how much money you wasted on buying an American Psycho Bluray disc. But that not being the case, I'd just like to extend my condolences and let you know I'm here for you. Now at first, you may not want to accept my help, but I'm going to get you through this buddy.

Actually, I got 5 free blu-rays with my PS3 purchase. I did however, choose American Psycho because the film does have substantial merit. If I could get you a movie-goers version of a white cane, I would.

clocker
03-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Blind movie goers have a special cane?
I did not know that.

stoi
03-19-2011, 06:00 AM
I thought the film of American Psycho was absolute garbage, but i did just read the book a few months before i seen the film, and the book scared the shit out of me (I can read King and Herbert etc and nothing scares me, but this bloody did) I had to put the book down for 3 months, it wasnt so much horror, it was the fact i was seeing what he was seeing, IE: I was sort of him, and seeing it in 1st person, not 3rd person, and it really did scare the crap out of me lol (only book to ever do that).

and the film missed out a hell of lot, but then it would have been far too gruesome to put it in. spoilers below of 2 things that spring to mind.

He takes a car jack, puts it in a prostitutes mouth, jacks her mouth open so her jaw breaks, reaches inside and pulls her insides out.
He captures a rat and doesnt feed it for 2 months (or so) gets another prostitute, ties her up, puts the rat on her stomach and covers it with a pan or something, well only way out is to eat her alive (this is the point i had to put the book down lol)

it has been a few years since i read the book so those may be a bit sketchy at best, but if you do like the film, and have not read the book, do so, but try to read it as you are him, and not looking at him from the outside, and it will scare the crap out of you lol

as for Christian Bale, hes not that bad, he plays an OK batman (but what do you really expect from batman, its not going to be Patrick Stewart reciting hamlet on stage is it).

another spoiler for what i think it was all about.

PS: I will have to read the book again, but this is the way i see it, he was cracking up with the pressures of his job and social life, he wanted to kill people, but he never actually did any of it, it was all in his head, as at the end the guy who he axed came back (i think or at least was seen in london or something) and his secretary found drawings and writings of what he thought he was doing in his desk.

mr. nails
03-19-2011, 06:08 AM
So I FINALLY checked out American Psycho, I've had too many people recommend it. It was a huge fucking waste of time. Not only was the movie bad...

really? i loved it. i've always thought that was one of his best roles and quite frankly imo that's what CB does best. sux that u didn't like it.

megabyteme
03-19-2011, 01:05 PM
He takes a car jack, puts it in a prostitutes mouth, jacks her mouth open so her jaw breaks, reaches inside and pulls her insides out.
He captures a rat and doesnt feed it for 2 months (or so) gets another prostitute, ties her up, puts the rat on her stomach and covers it with a pan or something, well only way out is to eat her alive (this is the point i had to put the book down lol)

it has been a few years since i read the book so those may be a bit sketchy at best, but if you do like the film, and have not read the book, do so, but try to read it as you are him, and not looking at him from the outside, and it will scare the crap out of you lol

as for Christian Bale, hes not that bad, he plays an OK batman (but what do you really expect from batman, its not going to be Patrick Stewart reciting hamlet on stage is it).

another spoiler for what i think it was all about.

PS: I will have to read the book again, but this is the way i see it, he was cracking up with the pressures of his job and social life, he wanted to kill people, but he never actually did any of it, it was all in his head, as at the end the guy who he axed came back (i think or at least was seen in london or something) and his secretary found drawings and writings of what he thought he was doing in his desk.

I do think I will give the book a shot when life settles down a bit.

As for the second spoiler, That is the case with both versions. Nothing ever gets clarified...

mjmacky
03-19-2011, 08:08 PM
i've always thought that was one of his best roles and quite frankly imo that's what CB does best. sux that u didn't like it.
I don't really like being forced to hate things and people (I like to do so on my own accord), so when I am forced to, I hate them even more than I normally would. CB's best work that I've seen so far has been in The Fighter, but it's not a saving grace performance. While I was already down watching shitty movies, I also watched The Last Airbender movie. I now hate M. Night Shyamalan for life, that fucking child rapist. I may have liked the village, or 6th sense the first time, but most of his recent stuff leading up to a complete gang rape of an amazing story, it's just unacceptable. I feel sorry if TLA was the only exposure you had to the Avatar series, but at least you didn't have to watch a great thing get skull fucked. I'm pretty sure there are similar stories.

IdolEyes787
03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
You liked The Village?Sorry but any thought of speaking with authority about what's worthwhile and what isn't pretty much faded right there.

mjmacky
03-20-2011, 01:29 PM
You liked The Village?Sorry but any thought of speaking with authority about what's worthwhile and what isn't pretty much faded right there.
Sure did, though I'm already used to not having a lot of people on my side about that one. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say in person that they loved the Village. I think it makes me like it even more... it's mine, my village!

megabyteme
03-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Sure did, though I'm already used to not having a lot of people on my side about that one. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say in person that they loved the Village. I think it makes me like it even more... it's mine, my village!

Every one needs a fool, right? :D

mjmacky
03-21-2011, 02:39 AM
I think you meant to say *idiot

mjmacky
03-21-2011, 04:55 AM
he is one of the best looking guys in the world ..

maybe that is why :lol:

No, apparently this is the best looking guy in the world
http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/430761-I-would-almost-turn-gay-for-this-guy

megabyteme
03-22-2011, 06:37 PM

I don't know you well enough to call you an idiot....yet. :D

he is one of the best looking guys in the world ..

maybe that is why :lol:

No, apparently this is the best looking guy in the world
http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/430761-I-would-almost-turn-gay-for-this-guy

No, staff leaves that thread since it was iLUVNZB's first of the type, but he posts about six of those a day now. It's a lot of work for staff to delete his constant outpourings of man-love. :sick:

mjmacky
03-22-2011, 10:38 PM

That sounds like a difficult process. I don't know how many years it would have taken to get to know everyone that I've called an idiot, my socializing capacity just wouldn't be able to cope. You should have just made a judgment call on it, "the village fool" just doesn't have the same ring to it. I wouldn't mind being the Village idiot, just as long as I'm not the Village policeman, or construction worker. I don't like being in a position of authority and I don't like manual labor.

megabyteme
03-23-2011, 05:05 AM
That sounds like a difficult process. I don't know how many years it would have taken to get to know everyone that I've called an idiot, my socializing capacity just wouldn't be able to cope. You should have just made a judgment call on it, "the village fool" just doesn't have the same ring to it. I wouldn't mind being the Village idiot, just as long as I'm not the Village policeman, or construction worker. I don't like being in a position of authority and I don't like manual labor.

You gain personal redemption points for such an answer. You have hope yet... :P

iLOVENZB
03-25-2011, 10:52 AM
I could state the obvious that his movies make a lot of money and until they cease to do so irritating to you as it is he will still be offered leading roles but I won't.

As for his l acting skill I think you are confusing lack of range with lack of talent. Some actors can convey a great deal without outwardly expressing a lot .
Suggest for (maybe ) better appreciation of what he has to offer you watch The Machinist or Harsh Times or American Psycho or The Fighter.

Saw "The Fighter" last night. Never knew how easily a homeless crackhead role came to him. The film itself (plot wise) was meh.

megabyteme
03-30-2011, 05:28 AM
I wouldn't mind being the Village idiot, just as long as I'm not the Village policeman, or construction worker. I don't like being in a position of authority and I don't like manual labor.

That does leave the possibilities of the biker, or Indian....

iLOVENZB
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
megabyteme, please leave the Indians alone.

mjmacky
03-30-2011, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't mind being the Village idiot, just as long as I'm not the Village policeman, or construction worker. I don't like being in a position of authority and I don't like manual labor.

That does leave the possibilities of the biker, or Indian....

The biker rides an Indian

megabyteme
03-30-2011, 07:01 PM

A bit too much info about your surfing habits, macky... :O

mjmacky
03-30-2011, 07:10 PM

A bit too much info about your surfing habits, macky... :O

Perhaps we have a different image of a "biker"
http://www.morguefile.com/data/imageData/public/files/w/wallyir/preview/fldr_2009_02_16/file1391234768633.jpg

megabyteme
03-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Whew!

I thought we were both headed down this path....

http://www.lindasog.com/pics08/02/vp2.jpg

Still not sure why you would choose a wooden figure, though?

mjmacky
03-31-2011, 02:06 AM
Still not sure why you would choose a wooden figure, though?

Cause she gives me wood