PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To....

Kunal
11-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Well no matter how stupid the topic may sound im being serious :)

I want to cut two holes in the side panel of my case and mount two 80mm fans, blowing air in and i was wondering the best way to do this and also there is a mounting for a 80mm fan at the back of my case, but the air flow is rather restricted, i was wondering how i could increase the air flow, by cutting more holes

this is probaly very cofusing, but thanks in advance!

cwctv
11-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Why cut just drill alot of small hole then 2 or 4 for the size of the screws you are going to use to hold the fan(s).

DarthInsinuate
11-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Tweak3D case cutting guide (http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/casecutting/)

Kunal
11-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by cwctv@9 November 2003 - 13:59
Why cut just drill alot of small hole then 2 or 4 for the size of the screws you are going to use to hold the fan(s).
because thats not very efficant

cwctv
11-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Great help site DarthInsinuate but minds cheaper and already have the drill bits.

Why isn't it very efficant when thats all most cases come with I have a desktop and had to do this because they ain't no space for a fan at the back and the one in the front was U/S.

globalterminator
11-09-2003, 02:16 PM
just be carefull with what your doing!

DarthInsinuate
11-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by cwctv@9 November 2003 - 14:13
Why isn't it very efficant when thats all most cases come with
i think he means its ineffiecient because you just have tiny holes for a big fan

Kunal
11-09-2003, 02:21 PM
from the site that darth pointed out (thanks)

A lot of times cases will have holes where a fan (usually an 80mm fan) was intended to be placed. See:

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/casecutting/8.jpg

These block a lot of airflow (up to 60%), and since they are very easy to cut-out with a Dremel tool (or the tool you decided to use), we cut it out.

cwctv
11-09-2003, 02:33 PM
Ok I get the point you have Dremel I don't,they are hole cutters for cars they use them for the airiel holes either way.
just be carefull with what your doing!

Virtualbody1234
11-09-2003, 02:41 PM
I use a holesaw: http://www.powertoolstore.com/Qstore/custom/largebimetalholesaw.jpg

And chrome grill: http://www.lux-design.com/images/fangrill80.jpg

clocker
11-09-2003, 02:46 PM
When I decided to really begin hacking away on my new case I bit the bullet and bought a pair of sheet metal nibblers. CompUSA stocks them now.
They were only $10.

It does take longer than trying to use a Dremel, but you can get a far more accurate hole and it's not possible to slip and mar your case.
As an added bonus they will cut square holes with nice 90 degree corners should you desire.
Also, they do not generate the dust that a Dremel or a power saw do.

Kunal
11-09-2003, 05:07 PM
i think ill buy a holesaw as vb1234 has said, looks the easiest, ive already got some lovely fan grills, thanks for your help everyone :)

clocker
11-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Show us the results.

edit: where have you decided to place the fans and how did you arrive at that location?

Kunal
11-09-2003, 05:21 PM
clocker, when my mum lets me buy a digital camara, ill show you my system.

the fans are gonna be on the side panel, as ive found these to be quite effient, they will be blowing air in also, as my case has plenty of extraction, but not much cool air input, i am also gonna mod the back of the case, remove the restricted air flow holes and put a nice 80mm hole there, this will hopefully reduce my system temp to below the magic 30 (where it seems to sit)

clocker
11-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Kunal, I applaud your audacity.
Using the advantage of hindsite may I recommend that you do a bit of experimenting first?
Make up a cardboard mock-up of your side panel and mount the fan in it and then monitor your system temps.
A few inches one way or the other could make a dramatic difference.
You may as well get the biggest bang for your buck and obviously, once you cut the hole you have to live with it.

edit:Tell your mom to quit being such a Scrooge and get that digital camera. This is important work here...

ck-uk
11-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Mate if its your personally system and your not to worried how it looks ..you may not even notice according how you've situated your pc.You could just remove the one side panel.You'll have plenty of air then.Like i said its how you like things,i dont mind myself & always leaves the one panel off.Could save you a few dollars too,you can spend on an other upgrade,like that d/camera.If anyone comes around you can always slide it back on. :D

clocker
11-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Interesting that you should mention that CK.

I've been thinking of making one whole side of my comp just a big screened panel.

ck-uk
11-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Yeah clocker,i've never thought of that...you could put somekind of thin sheeting..just to try & reduce the niose abit...but not to thin so it dosnt flap.I have to leave mine open 'atm from where i've been still tring to get my old board going i havnt got any thermal paste on the cpu...ive ran out. :D

bigdawgfoxx
11-09-2003, 06:17 PM
Clocker what exactly are you recommending? That he take his case off, put a cardboard one on, and see where the fans work best?

Kunal
11-09-2003, 06:19 PM
ive tried running my pc with the side panal off, it shaves 2c off my system and about 6 off my pc, but the noise increase is noticable.

@ clocker, thanks for your advice on making a cardboard model and what does 'audacity' mean :huh: , i looked in a dictonary and coudlnt it meaning :lol:

Edit does audacity mean nerve :huh:

Kunal
11-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@9 November 2003 - 18:17
Clocker what exactly are you recommending? That he take his case off, put a cardboard one on, and see where the fans work best?
hes telling me to make a cardboard model of my side panel and cut holes into it in various locations and to see the best positions and actually if its worth it!

Kunal
11-09-2003, 06:31 PM
ive just done some more experimenting with my current fan setup ive reduced my system temp to about 26c and cpu to 41c, all ive done is moved my pci extractor from next to my graphics card to below my psu, suprised how much of a difference this has made, ive got my other fans setup up as - front input, top and back output, and coolermaster aero 7 lite cpu cooler

bigdawgfoxx
11-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Oh ok i see. Sounds fun. I wish i had a new system lol

clocker
11-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Excellent Kunal.

Now, after you make a change like that, run some sort of benchmarking program and make a note of your temps.
Then move (or eliminate) a fan and repeat.

I've found that sometimes placing a fan where you would think that it would really help doesn't make any difference at all.
Also, try varying which voltage you are supplying to the fan. The red feed wire will run the fan more slowly than the yellow.
Clearly, the faster it spins, the louder the fan will be, but you need to gather as much data as possible before you go ahead and irrevocably hack up your case.

Kunal
11-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by clocker@9 November 2003 - 18:40
Excellent Kunal.

Now, after you make a change like that, run some sort of benchmarking program and make a note of your temps.
Then move (or eliminate) a fan and repeat.

I've found that sometimes placing a fan where you would think that it would really help doesn't make any difference at all.
Also, try varying which voltage you are supplying to the fan. The red feed wire will run the fan more slowly than the yellow.
Clearly, the faster it spins, the louder the fan will be, but you need to gather as much data as possible before you go ahead and irrevocably hack up your case.
thanks clocker, which benchmark program would you reccomend (please bare in mind i have dial up :( ). i have also found that placing a fan in a logical place doesnt make much difference to the temp. about the fan speeds and voltage can you expalin that more clearly as im kinda confused, the 80mm fans im using are almost silent.

clocker
11-09-2003, 07:05 PM
BurnInTest Pro v3.2 (http://www.passmark.com)
You can get a free evaluation copy of this that lasts for 30 days.
It will only let you run the test for 15 minutes at a time.
Either run it twice back to back or search the web for a ah, attitude adjustment for it.

Your fans are probably plugged into some sort of adaptor that plugs into you PSU wiring harness...
http://www.burnoutpc.com/images/reviews/Blueledfans/MVC-027F.JPG
Right?

The connector on your wiring harness has 4 pins.2 black and a red and a yellow.
Your fan adaptor is tapping into only one set of pins, probably a red and a black.
If you could use a jumper wire and connect to the yellow and a black instead you would see that your fan spins faster.

Or you could make life real simple and just hook your fans to a fan control panel.
http://store3.yimg.com/I/casecooler_1762_4645255.jpg

Virtualbody1234
11-09-2003, 07:33 PM
There is also a "7 volt trick" to run fans at medium speed.

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/graphics/7v.gif

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/7volt.html

clocker
11-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@9 November 2003 - 12:33
There is also a "7 volt trick" to run fans at medium speed.

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/graphics/7v.gif

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/7volt.html
That's very cool.
Thanks VB.

Kunal
11-09-2003, 08:00 PM
im not gonna fiddle with the jumpers etc, coz knowing me ill blow up my pc! :lol:

clocker
11-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Kunal@9 November 2003 - 13:00
im not gonna fiddle with the jumpers etc, coz knowing me ill blow up my pc! :lol:
Make your mom try it then.

She's used to feeling guilty.

Kunal
11-09-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by clocker@9 November 2003 - 20:04
Make your mom try it then.

She's used to feeling guilty.
i could take that two ways

clocker
11-09-2003, 08:21 PM
If you worked at it, probably more.

Kunal
11-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by clocker@9 November 2003 - 20:21
If you worked at it, probably more.
true, but two is what came to my head

clocker
11-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Why are you not running tests and moving fans?

This fiddlefaddle will get you nowhere.

NOW GO!

ck-uk
11-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Kunal for benchmarking,do you have sandrapro2004..Its only 7mb

If not & you want it.i'll put it on a site for you to download ,if you like..

i just sent you the addy mate..it should be ok..but i read somewhere the board sometimes censors urls with "spam"

Kunal
11-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by clocker@9 November 2003 - 20:27
Why are you not running tests and moving fans?

This fiddlefaddle will get you nowhere.

NOW GO!
im doing my coursework, ill do it when i have some more time, next week sometime, have pateince mate :D

Edit, ck-uk hook me up please ;)

Kunal
11-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@9 November 2003 - 18:34
I wish i had a new system lol
bigdawgfoxx what are you on about, your system rules! :lol: mines about 15 months old now, but only really started messing with it recently