PDA

View Full Version : What I hate about XYplorer

iLOVENZB
04-10-2011, 10:44 AM
First off I would like to say that XYplorer is great for those who want a simplistic yet advanced side by side interface without right clicking the task bar and going tile <#vertically/horizontally> (XP) or show side by side (Win Vista/7).

So far what I absolutely hate is that I can't have a second tree for the second panel. Anyone know a solution?

Still great app, well worth the look.

teflon05
04-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Hmmm...I never tried it, but it looks to be similar to Total Commander. Is it better somehow?

shipwreck
04-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I used Total Commander (former Win Commander) for more than a decade, but switched to Freecommander a few years ago because it is substantially faster at copying files over the network (often 3-4 times as fast). It doesn't have all the functions of the former, but the vast majority of them, which is good enough for me. Since I tend to move a lof of files over my LAN, speed is more important to me.

http://www.freecommander.com/

(Freeware)

anon
04-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Hey, I'm a former TC user, too! Amazing program - back in the day I spent more time using that than Windows' own Explorer. :) I don't really remember why I stopped using it, actually...

Note there's a pack called Total Commander Ultima Prime which is TC plus a truckload of plugins and goodies.

shipwreck: I didn't even have a LAN back then, so I didn't notice that. Now I do, I use a Filezilla FTP server to move files between my two computers. Maximum Fast Ethernet speed.

shipwreck
04-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Freecommander is very fast at normal file copies via SMB, I hit 70MB/s easily (so my HDDs are likely the bottleneck; don't have a SSD to test). FTP is more efficient than SMB, but at those speeds, it's not worth the fuss, at least for me.

I used TC ever since I used Windows really. Always hated Windows Explorer, and I've been used to the side by side 'commander' interface ever since the Norton Commander DOS days.

yevgeny
04-10-2011, 09:45 PM
try directory opus [gpsoftware.com.au] or the free version of xplorer2. dual vertical view in dopus gives you what you're looking for and it replaces explorer easier than tc or others.

(http://www.zabkat.com/x2lite.htm)

iLOVENZB
04-11-2011, 02:00 AM
yevgeny, where's the option to have another dir tree on the second panel?

yevgeny
04-11-2011, 06:28 AM
it gives a directory tree for each file list by clicking dual vertical/horizontal, i think i may have misread your post ...

<.>
(http://imageshack.us)

iLOVENZB
04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
yevgeny, thanks that was exactly what I was looking for :D.

Classic theme FTW!

EDIT: Are you sure Directory Opus is free? - I keep getting licensing reminders.

Main Program: Enabled, Expires on 5/11/2011.

yevgeny
04-11-2011, 10:24 AM
its not freeware unfortunately.

q-dir
xplorer2 and
servant salamander are the free windows file managers i know of .

shipwreck
04-11-2011, 11:49 AM
EDIT: Are you sure Directory Opus is free? - I keep getting licensing reminders.

Does it matter? Like....really? :)

iLOVENZB
04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Depends on my conscience and if it tells me to steal or not.