PDA

View Full Version : New Pg Blocklist For Zonealarm, I Did All The Work

james_bond_rulez
11-09-2003, 08:20 PM
DIY: http://home.comcast.net/~zaupdate/ Please note: i am not the author of this program. I am just using this program to produce the xml files for those of you who dont wanna install a program that might potentially be a program that could contain a Trojan horse program or viruses. If you wanna install this program, use it at your own risk!!!

I have decided not to do further updates in the future as this is by no means an effective RIAA/MAPP countermeasure. It slowed down my internet/computer speed quite significantly and used too much resources. I have removed all blocklist from my firewall.

For a more complete solution please visit www.anonx.com

supersonic
11-09-2003, 09:11 PM
:beerchug: good, but unfortunately I&#39;m using Sygate, b/c ZA sux. <_<

DVD PIRATE III
11-09-2003, 09:26 PM
not as much as ya girl&#33; :<--------- Town Bike

james_bond_rulez
11-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by supersonic@9 November 2003 - 21:11
:beerchug: good, but unfortunately I&#39;m using Sygate, b/c ZA sux. <_<
za pwns sygate imho :lol:

specially recommanded and highly praised by steve and computer security experts...

www.grc.com :lol:

syxx
11-10-2003, 02:01 AM
i have zone alarm 4, how do i put the ip thingy in?

james_bond_rulez
11-10-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by syxx@10 November 2003 - 02:01
go to overview->preference->restore then select the file

u r done ;)

Jay
11-10-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+9 November 2003 - 21:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 9 November 2003 - 21:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-syxx@10 November 2003 - 02:01

u r done ;) [/b][/quote]
do i have to copy paste and make a text file or somthing

ZaZu
11-10-2003, 04:22 AM
here is the finished file u dont wanna bother

http://picview.250free.com/zapro4blocklist.xml

The link is not working :o

muchspl2
11-10-2003, 04:25 AM
yes it does :rolleyes:

in fact both links work if you just click them, but in order to import it you have to right click and save as the second link

thanks for doing that BTW

james_bond_rulez
11-10-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Jay+10 November 2003 - 02:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jay @ 10 November 2003 - 02:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@9 November 2003 - 21:15
<!--QuoteBegin-syxx@10 November 2003 - 02:01

u r done ;)
do i have to copy paste and make a text file or somthing [/b][/quote]
Jay you didn&#39;t get it

save it as a xml file and import it to zonealarm

if you import a txt file za wont regonize it

@muchspl2: yw :P

DVD PIRATE III
11-10-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@10 November 2003 - 10:36
specially recommanded and highly praised by steve and computer security experts...

www.grc.com :lol:
that Steve Gibson knows his stuff...Ive been visiting his site for a few years now...

SniperInTheShadows
11-12-2003, 12:16 AM
This has amazing potential, but one thing about it still bothers me i&#39;m soz to say.

Surely once the list is imported into ZA then &#33;NO&#33; connection&#39;s from the IP&#39;s within the list should be able to get through, which is the main reason for the program and adding the list to ZA?

Any connection&#39;s getting through would mean that there&#39;s something wrong with the conversion and addition to the ZA xml file and importing it into ZA wouldn&#39;t it?

I&#39;ve been testing it and so far have still had a few connection&#39;s getting through (i&#39;ve had PeerGuardian running as backup just to be sure during testing and it&#39;s still blocking a few connection&#39;s that have gotten through ZA despite the list being imported) :-(

I really hope that this is just a minor bug either in ZA itself or your program that will be fixed soon as so far what you&#39;ve done is brilliant work and well worth thanking you for, so...

Thank&#39;s james_bond_rulez for making this program and sharing it with everyone :-) Great job so far :-)

Sniper.

EDIT : Just another little piece of feed-back, I run Window&#39;s XP and have had no problem installing it and no problem running the program :-) Just thought you might like to know that it seem&#39;s to be fully compatible with XP :-)

muchspl2
11-12-2003, 12:23 AM
its because your running both, just run za, when both try to deny the connections they bind and conflict, you can test it by going to riaa.com or mpaa.com ect
and yes again thanks for this, but to be safe you should update the list every week, so maybe every week or so you could update the xml for all the n00b&#39;s and lazy folks like me
I did it awhile ago on my main pc, but I got the list on all my pc&#39;s now :)

RealitY
11-12-2003, 12:57 AM
I do not suggest that people swap their xml files since that file contains what programs you allow to access along with all your other personal settings. It would be much better to set up the file for yourself so that you are only adding the IP&#39;s to your current ZA profile and do not find a series of programs that are allowed and some that are not from someone elses preferences...

james_bond_rulez
11-12-2003, 01:31 AM
thx for the feedback everybody

i had the program installed on winxp (although i am running win2k pro and had winxp installed through virtual machine) so it should be compatible with za run on winxp.

i&#39;ve run the program again yesterday and the zaupdate added a few more ip ranges and fixed redudent addresses and fixed wrong characters.

i&#39;ll update it again so noob can download.

PS: if you import MY file all your za settings would be lost, just a lil warning for those who use my file. I&#39;ll keep the file as default as possible.

and yes i&#39;ll update it as regularly as possible :lol:

SniperInTheShadows
11-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Thank&#39;s for the concern REALITY :-) However, I double checked all my program and security settings after updating the xml file and there&#39;s no extra program&#39;s listed and my setting where the same except for the blocklist being added.

I believe that the program mearly searches for the right section to add the list into within the xml file and just updates that section, making no changes to anything else from what I can see when comparing the before and after files :-)

Sniper.

james_bond_rulez
11-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by REALITY@12 November 2003 - 00:57
I do not suggest that people swap their xml files since that file contains what programs you allow to access along with all your other personal settings. It would be much better to set up the file for yourself so that you are only adding the IP&#39;s to your current ZA profile and do not find a series of programs that are allowed and some that are not from someone elses preferences...
that&#39;s why i&#39;ll keep the settings "as default as possible", that means stripping all the program access, expert rules except the banning list

:P

james_bond_rulez
11-12-2003, 01:41 AM
i just updated again

blocklist effective Nov 11, 2003 with default settings ;)

RealitY
11-12-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by SniperInTheShadows@11 November 2003 - 17:32
Thank&#39;s for the concern REALITY :-) However, I double checked all my program and security settings after updating the xml file and there&#39;s no extra program&#39;s listed and my setting where the same except for the blocklist being added.

I believe that the program mearly searches for the right section to add the list into within the xml file and just updates that section, making no changes to anything else from what I can see when comparing the before and after files :-)
Yes that is exactly what it does, I was reffering to using jbr personal xml, or mine for that matter. I loaded jbr xml in my ZA and I can see all the programs he allows access to on the "program control" tab, also now when I want to reuse Shareaza for example it will reask me since all my old settings would be lost, though this is not a neccessarily a major issue and this be still a good idea for lazy nOObs I imagine. Though don&#39;t forget if all you use KL++ you really don&#39;t need this at all since these ranges are built into the IP blocker as well...

james_bond_rulez
11-12-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by REALITY+12 November 2003 - 06:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (REALITY @ 12 November 2003 - 06:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SniperInTheShadows@11 November 2003 - 17:32

Yes that is exactly what it does, I was reffering to using jbr personal xml, or mine for that matter. I loaded jbr xml in my ZA and I can see all the programs he allows access to on the "program control" tab, also now when I want to reuse Shareaza for example it will reask me since all my old settings would be lost... [/b][/quote]
that&#39;s exactly what i posted in my first post ;)

RealitY
11-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@11 November 2003 - 22:27
that&#39;s exactly what i posted in my first post ;)
Well that post appears to have changed since I first read it...
:P :P

This post has been edited by james_bond_rulez on 11 November 2003 - 20:48

james_bond_rulez
11-12-2003, 06:55 AM
:-" :-" :lol:

RealitY
11-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@11 November 2003 - 22:55
:-" :-" :lol:
Silly Canuck...

SniperInTheShadows
11-12-2003, 02:51 PM
I see what you ment now REALITY :-)

Maybe you could make a slightly modified version of the program james_bond_rulez for when you update the default xml file where it excludes the program&#39;s and settings that you use so when people load it into ZA it&#39;s like a new install of ZA with no program&#39;s and setting&#39;s (other than the block list) selected? :-) Just an idea, not sure if it&#39;s workable :-)

Sniper.

james_bond_rulez
11-12-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by SniperInTheShadows@12 November 2003 - 14:51
I see what you ment now REALITY :-)

Maybe you could make a slightly modified version of the program james_bond_rulez for when you update the default xml file where it excludes the program&#39;s and settings that you use so when people load it into ZA it&#39;s like a new install of ZA with no program&#39;s and setting&#39;s (other than the block list) selected? :-) Just an idea, not sure if it&#39;s workable :-)

Sniper.
first of all i can&#39;t take credit for the program since it isn&#39;t my work...

second i already said that i&#39;ll make a default xml whenever i post, that means i&#39;ll delete all my program settings, firewall rulez except the banned list

:lol:

tracydani
11-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Thanks for this james_bond_rulez

But I have a question I am a bit confused on. Why are you updating an ip block list in the first post if this is what the program is for? Doesn&#39;t it do everything for us straight through the pg database online? Or am I missing something?

Thanks, TD

james_bond_rulez
11-13-2003, 12:09 PM
i am doing this for all the lazy ppl who doesn&#39;t wanna install the program and go through all the process.

so i am doing it for them.

when i first came across this lil proggie I didn&#39;t trust it, call me crazy but i actually set up a virtual machine loaded with winxp and installed the program in it.

:lol: :lol:

so there ya go

damn it i got too much free time on my hands :P

muchspl2
11-13-2003, 12:22 PM
do you know what a firewall does tracydani ?

A firewall is like a personal bodyguard for the Internet. You talk to your firewall, and your firewall talks to the Internet for you. That way, you don&#39;t have to talk to the Internet directly, and any bad people on the Internet can&#39;t bug you

works alot better with the bad ip list imported into your firewall, it gives the best protection from prying eyes of riaa/mpaa plus one lees program to use, no need for PG if you have the list imported and 100% better as it works on udp level = win win

james_bond_rulez
11-13-2003, 12:24 PM
yeah that would be my answer too

i like everything integrated...compatible, efficient

why run 2 programs when 1 can do the job? :lol:

tracydani
11-13-2003, 12:38 PM
LOL, I like the quote muchspl2.

I understand the firewall and why I would add the PG ip ranges. What I didn&#39;t understand was why james_bond_rulez makes an updated list to add to ZA when the program he posted does it all automaticly.

So obviously you have found the program to be trustworthy?

I am going to give it a try.

TD

RealitY
11-13-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@13 November 2003 - 04:24

So I take it that means you use Shareaza...

james_bond_rulez
11-14-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by REALITY+13 November 2003 - 22:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (REALITY @ 13 November 2003 - 22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-james_bond_rulez@13 November 2003 - 04:24

:P :P [/b][/quote]
no :lol:

RealitY
11-14-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+13 November 2003 - 16:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 13 November 2003 - 16:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by REALITY@13 November 2003 - 22:09
<!--QuoteBegin-james_bond_rulez@13 November 2003 - 04:24

no :lol: [/b][/quote]
You said it, not me. Besides Shareaza rolls up allthe crap I hardly use into one GUI, simple. Why have eMule and Shadow, when Shareaza has both and that silly Gnut network as well...

james_bond_rulez
11-14-2003, 07:16 AM
this is a different matter, you r talking about p2p apps i am talking about firewall and security issues.

shareaza is slow for me and can&#39;t find any resources. :unsure:

RealitY
11-14-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@13 November 2003 - 23:16
this is a different matter, you r talking about p2p apps i am talking about firewall and security issues.
Stop complaining ur a Canuk, tell me ajokeor something...

james_bond_rulez
11-14-2003, 08:27 AM
lol what u bored or something? :lol:

muchspl2
11-23-2003, 06:17 AM
TTT

bump for update :P

james_bond_rulez
11-23-2003, 10:00 AM
oh shit i completely forgot :lol:

there ya go...

updated as of nov 23, 2003

muchspl2
11-23-2003, 10:42 AM
who&#39;s da man, you da man, who&#39;s da man you da man

W00T x Pi

don&#39;t hate me if I keep reminding you :P

james_bond_rulez
11-23-2003, 11:57 AM
yeah i need reminders... ;)

Jay
11-26-2003, 02:31 AM
i&#39;m having trouble getting zonealarm 4.5.53, right now i have 4.5.517, will the file work in it

muchspl2
11-26-2003, 02:36 AM
yes, 4 and above can import the bad ip list

11-26-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@9 November 2003 - 20:20
DIY: http://home.comcast.net/~zaupdate/

here is the finished file u dont wanna bother

Blocklist as of Nov 23 2003 (http://server4.uploadit.org/files/231103-zablocklistnov23.xml.jpg)

I changed my host so everybody can download, just remove the .jpg after download.

This file is for zonealarm pro 4.5.530 (most up-to-date)

happy file sharing&#33;&#33; :lol:

WARNING: By using this file you are risking your zonealarm settings, plz back up ur current setting before you apply this one. I will NOT be held responsible for any damages to your computers if you use my file.
wait what do i do here. i went 2 the link its just 1 long as link&#33;

RealitY
11-26-2003, 08:03 AM
It appears importing with ZAUpdate might not be effective...
http://www.peerguardian.net/forums/index.p...st=0&#entry9605 (http://www.peerguardian.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2060&st=0&#entry9605)
I think you may need to be a member to view.

james_bond_rulez
11-26-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by REALITY@26 November 2003 - 08:03
It appears importing with ZAUpdate might not be effective...
http://www.peerguardian.net/forums/index.p...st=0&#entry9605 (http://www.peerguardian.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2060&st=0&#entry9605)
I think you may need to be a member to view.
why dont u post the content here so everybody can read?

dingdongding
11-26-2003, 09:47 PM
y&#39;all may want to check the thread linked below as it talks about a peerguardian forum test to see if zapro can block various anti p2p urls- we&#39;ve been getting mixed results with those using zaupdate (disclaimer: the info is only as good as those posting it so beware)
http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?act=ST&f=13&t=84246

please post there as i don&#39;t want to be accused of hijacking this thread

thanks,

ddd

dingdongding
11-29-2003, 04:11 AM
also i was under the impression that james_bond_rulez was the creator/developer of zaupdate but that is not the case (maybe i was the only one thinking that)

we have a forum mod at the pg forum, forcedfx, who is behind the zaupdate prog and his faq is at http://home.comcast.net/~zaupdate/ which is listed at the beginning of this thread

just fyi

ddd

forcedfx
11-29-2003, 04:20 AM
Ok, I&#39;m the one who developed the program ZAUpdate so I&#39;m the one who should take the beating.

Some people may be using versions of 1.6 and lower which have a fatal flaw once the ban list grows to be more than 900 IP ranges. 1.7 and up are able to compensate for this. Understandably, people who were using 1.6 and lower are now afraid to try again. In fact, most poeple probably don&#39;t realize 1.6 and lower versions are no good these days and I&#39;ve been trying to get the word out.

The technique of using ZoneAlarm with ZAUpdate works but I&#39;m finding some problems that are confusing people.

1. Running ZoneAlarm and PeerGuardian at the same time you will ALWAYS see the connection log in BOTH programs. PeerGuardian is quicker to block the connection, whereas, ZoneAlarm seems to think about it longer before sending a "no packet for you" message to Windows. People see the log in PG and automatically think the connection got by. But if they were to go into their ZA alert log (Alerts & Logs > Log Viewer) they&#39;ll see the website&#39;s URL pop up under the "Destination DNS" column. Looking for the log in PG and seeing the regected connection but then not checking the ZA log freaks people out.

2. People are testing website URLs that do not always have the same IP address. I can&#39;t remember which one it is off-hand, but there is a website in the blocklist whose IP address almost appears to flip flop from one IP to another. One of those IPs falls within the IP range in the blocklist while the other does not. For instance, CNN. They probably have about 5 different IP addresses, if one of those IP addresses is not within the range once in a while their webpage will load up in your browser. If your computer cannot connect to a Web URL at the current known IP address it will query to find out if there are any other IP addresses tied to it. Just as many URL&#39;s can be tied to one IP address, many IP addresses can be tied to one URL. In the span of this write up I was able to find that 64.236.24.48, 64.236.16.20, and 64.236.24.137 are all tied to the CNN.COM URL. Block one or two of them and "the network" will try to find you another way to get there.

3. People don&#39;t know how to use it properly, even though it can&#39;t get any simpler and the website goes into great detail.

4. People are confusing it with the process of manually importing the ranges into an XML file. There is NO cut and paste involved with ZAUpdate. All of your settings are left in tact (even your own custom rules and groups). If in the past you were using the manual update method by cutting and pasting XML data you should remove any of those settings before creating the backup XML file that ZAUpdate will edit.

I&#39;ve done all the testing I can and haven&#39;t had any of the tested IPs get by while running ZA by itself. And the people who know their way around ZoneAlarm pretty well are able to use the program and have good results.

james_bond_rulez
11-29-2003, 04:30 AM
pg blocklist is quite useless, ppl seem to get notices even if they use the blocklist

but thx for the info anywayz

dingdongding
11-29-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@29 November 2003 - 00:30
pg blocklist is quite useless, ppl seem to get notices even if they use the blocklist

but thx for the info anywayz
no the pg blocklist is not completely useless

btw- how many ranges did you have imported into zapro4 when you got busted? the lists ppl are using from meth&#39;s site are behind the times/ the db there is under construction and since it hasn&#39;t been up full time the lists weren&#39;t being updated that often

also my hunch is that zapro is not able to handle all the ranges under the current xml setup - so ppl shouldn&#39;t be relying on zapro as their only defense

ddd

james_bond_rulez
11-29-2003, 05:00 AM
today is just so many fking changes i can&#39;t keep up, first the ircspy news about canadian isps, then the letter from my isp, then the pg thing...

it&#39;s too much man :lol:

james_bond_rulez
11-29-2003, 05:18 AM
ok i made another update, everybody should update theirs too :lol:

dingdongding
11-29-2003, 05:35 AM
also it&#39;s just been confirmed that using zaupdate slows down the reaction time of zapro4 and on as far as blocking web sites from loading- forcedfx will look into it

and if you have the right ip list you should have over 2100 ranges in it
http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=84759

james_bond_rulez
11-29-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by dingdongding@29 November 2003 - 04:37
also my hunch is that zapro is not able to handle all the ranges under the current xml setup - so ppl shouldn&#39;t be relying on zapro as their only defense

ddd
what else do you suggest? <_<

a sound firewall with an incorporated and updated blocklist is the best you can get....

what more do you expect?

james_bond_rulez
11-29-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by dingdongding@29 November 2003 - 05:35
also it&#39;s just been confirmed that using zaupdate slows down the reaction time of zapro4 and on as far as blocking web sites from loading- forcedfx will look into it

and if you have the right ip list you should have over 2100 ranges in it
http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=84759
yes i updated my stuff on the first page, with 2183 ips blocked, ppl should get it ;)

dingdongding
11-29-2003, 06:56 AM
well for one i definitely wouldn&#39;t rely on zaupdate with zapro4 as your only defense given that it slows down the reaction time of zapro4 in blocking web sites (and that&#39;s just a simpe test on blicking urls)

as for zapro4 in general as i said it was a hunch but i&#39;m pretty sure REALITY checked with zone labs/zone alarm and their response to importing ranges in general is that they didn&#39;t design it to handle that many

james_bond_rulez
11-29-2003, 07:35 AM
so what? it works for me and didn&#39;t even notice a slow down and wutnot

za coupled with the blocklist is the best defense you could possibly have, slow down? maybe.. noticeable? not really :lol:

dingdongding
11-29-2003, 09:17 AM
like i said draw any conclusion you want lol- letting peeps know the info as i come across it- forcedfx tried the manual option of importing and confirmed it was quicker as far as zapro4 blocking the urls

i prefer to go by tests/results instead of assuming what you do:

za coupled with the blocklist is the best defense you could possibly have

let me know when you can back up that opinion

RealitY
11-29-2003, 09:43 AM
No offense to the makers of ZAUpdate here but I&#39;m not relying on this at all. Zone Alarm tech has stated to me that the xml was not designed for this in any way.

The standard importing with something like Blocklist Manager works very well but upon much testing I did was shotty after around 300 ranges.

As for ZAUpdate it appears to have issues as well and I suspect more to come. It appears to me maybe Sysgate is a better option for now, though I didn&#39;t care for it and still use ZA.

Untill Zone Alarm chooses to support this type of xml useage I advise on not using it for this purpose unless you intend on having a smaller amout of ranges with the regular import style.

@JBR, so I take it Canadians are getting letters now, I thought you were untouchable...

james_bond_rulez
11-29-2003, 06:10 PM
heh guess again

i sleep one day and wake up the next and found myself in a puddle of poop&#33;&#33;&#33; :angry:

i&#39;ve started getting rid of all the "evidence" shredding digital files, destroying copied cds, acidify hdds... <_<

RealitY
11-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@29 November 2003 - 10:10
i sleep one day and wake up the next and found myself in a puddle of poop&#33;&#33;&#33; :angry:

i&#39;ve started getting rid of all the "evidence" shredding digital files, destroying copied cds, acidify hdds... <_<
Tell me your not serious.

What Network Was The Letter On...

james_bond_rulez
11-29-2003, 10:34 PM
bittorrent...

i&#39;ve backed up all my important documents and few other of my work onto a hdd and deleted all my illegal stuff...for real...

i feel it&#39;s time for me to take a break officially....

but i&#39;ll still stick around the forum ;)

forcedfx
11-30-2003, 04:07 AM
The note about ZoneAlarm not supporting more than 300 ranges is surprising. Maybe they shouldn&#39;t market their product as "Professional" if that&#39;s the case.

I&#39;ve scrapped the current process of using groups and rules and have switched over to importing the ranges into the "Zones" area of the firewall for version 2.0 and up. While I personally didn&#39;t have any intrusions go unblocked by ZoneAlarm it&#39;s very possible that others running different systems and configurations did.

So far, using the zones method appears to be VERY effective but will try to get some people to help me test it before I release it.

RealitY
11-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@29 November 2003 - 14:34
bittorrent...
I&#39;m guessing it was a movie?

Which one...

@forcedfx, let me know if you need a hand on somple testing etc...

james_bond_rulez
11-30-2003, 06:33 PM
out of time dvd screener <_<

RealitY
12-01-2003, 11:01 AM
Whats funny is I&#39;ve been saying BT is a bust on new release movies and that Super Nova is being watched but alot of members think its bullshit. Well I can only say I don&#39;t think they will do much more than they have with that warning. Your ISP will not be watching you either as that would be considered an invasion of privacy. They basically consider that if you get too many warnings you ar more trouble than your worth as a customer and will drop you. If you have broadband use their, thats right their, newsserver, get GrabIt and download untill you puke...

james_bond_rulez
12-01-2003, 07:09 PM
problem is newsgroups dont always have what i want

granted the speed is amazing but who wants to put up with imcomplete downloads?

RealitY
12-01-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@1 December 2003 - 11:09
granted the speed is amazing but who wants to put up with imcomplete downloads?
If I can find it and see all the rars its never incomplete...

james_bond_rulez
12-01-2003, 08:05 PM
good for u and ur newsserver, apparently retention is not an issue for you ;)

tracydani
12-01-2003, 09:47 PM
I&#39;ve been using irc a lot lately. Is it just me or is it safer then bt because you only connect to 1 person?

I will try newsgroups but I gotta find the newsgroup address from my isp. I saw it one day and didn&#39;t keep track of the info thinking it would be too hard to use. Now I&#39;ve read how to use it and don&#39;t have the link:rolleyes: :lol:

TD

james_bond_rulez
12-01-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by tracydani@1 December 2003 - 21:47
I&#39;ve been using irc a lot lately. Is it just me or is it safer then bt because you only connect to 1 person?

I will try newsgroups but I gotta find the newsgroup address from my isp. I saw it one day and didn&#39;t keep track of the info thinking it would be too hard to use. Now I&#39;ve read how to use it and don&#39;t have the link:rolleyes: :lol:

TD
true, with p2p clients such as kazaa and bt you are connecting to untrusted tracker/users who want to sue u for violating copyright laws.

bullshit like this rarely happens with irc

however if you wanna post copyrighted stuff on newsgroups be sure to do it through a proxy otherwise ur ass is still on the line

RealitY
12-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+1 December 2003 - 12:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez &#064; 1 December 2003 - 12:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> good for u and ur newsserver, apparently retention is not an issue for you&nbsp; ;) [/b]
Generally the retention on my ISP is only 3 days, which is not that great, however the compleion is perfect, so I just check regularly. You could always subscribe to a Usenet server for I think around &#036;10 per month.
<!--QuoteBegin-tracydani
I will try newsgroups but I gotta find the newsgroup address from my isp. I saw it one day and didn&#39;t keep track of the info thinking it would be too hard to use. Now I&#39;ve read how to use it and don&#39;t have the link[/quote]
Here&#39;s all the links you&#39;ll need...
Slyck Guide (http://www.slyck.com/ng.php)
GrabIt (http://www.shemes.com/)
NFONews (http://www.nfonews.com/)

Any other questions feel free to PM me...

james_bond_rulez
12-02-2003, 06:06 PM
dude i know how newsgroups work... <_<

but thx anywayz

RealitY
12-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@2 December 2003 - 10:06
dude i know how newsgroups work...
Take another lOOk, that was for tracydani...

Silly Canuk.

james_bond_rulez
12-02-2003, 07:51 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ijc_2003
12-03-2003, 03:13 PM
dude get yourself a decent router and zone alarm for backup 2,
i use supernova all the time, but you have to change the ports daily in the bittorent client 62881-62882 make them higher than what they are then go to your router settings and add the same ports either by virtual server or like my £29 router it can add them under nat config pretty cool.

Once you change ports, you then can see the companys trying to connect in your zone alarm firewall from your previous port settings and zone alarm takes care of those dudes simple.

My cousin recvied a letter from the film companys to his yahoo address saying he was some big filesharer and there coming for him, they just read his posts from a forum and all he was typing in when some1 put a movie up he would type n1 mate thats all he typed lmao. He replied to the email and told them to **** off and leave him alone and replaced hit nic card and then got the same router as me.

i been downloading of supernova 24 hours 7 days a week for the last 7 months
i aint had a any letters, mabaye thats because i dont download movies only mp3 & software & games everybody that seems to get letters is by movies.

And peer guardian is junk, it doesnt work with bittorent i never seen anything getting blocked, blocks more web pages imho.

last few days i,ve been getting more port scans on port 1214 from 213.196.226.0 -213.196.226.255 lmao and i aint even had kazzalite in this new comp, werid aint it,

so does za blocklist really work in zone alarm need the extra securtiy, if so would some1 please send it to my email i aint signing for the forum pg because iaint got time.

thx

ijc

long time no see been busy workin

james_bond_rulez
12-03-2003, 05:30 PM
thx for ur long advice but it&#39;s quite ineffective method.

I was using this method to avoid RIAA/MAPP but i still got caught. They used the bt clients itself and connect the trackers i was on and recorded my ip. so it doesn&#39;t really matter what ports you have bt running on, they will still have ur ip.

The best way to full address this issue is to use proxy servers to mask ur identity.

i suggest you have a look at this site. I am very interested in becoming a member...

www.anonx.com

RealitY
12-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by ijc_2003@3 December 2003 - 07:13
i aint had a any letters, mabaye thats because i dont download movies only mp3 & software & games everybody that seems to get letters is by movies.
That was the point, only people downloading movies have gotten letter on BT.

12-04-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by REALITY+3 December 2003 - 22:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (REALITY @ 3 December 2003 - 22:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ijc_2003@3 December 2003 - 07:13
That was the point, only people downloading movies have gotten letter on BT. [/b][/quote]
y only movies?

RealitY
12-05-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by 3223+4 December 2003 - 09:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3223 @ 4 December 2003 - 09:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by REALITY@3 December 2003 - 22:12
<!--QuoteBegin-ijc_2003@3 December 2003 - 07:13
That was the point, only people downloading movies have gotten letter on BT.
y only movies? [/b][/quote]
I guess the MPAA has lots of time to waste and their very fkin upset with people like you...
:huh: :huh:

Jay
12-08-2003, 12:03 AM
so when is the next update comin

james_bond_rulez
12-08-2003, 12:31 AM
updated today ;)

sometimes i am too lazy to update, i need you guys to remind me :lol:

thx Jay

Jay
12-08-2003, 05:04 AM
no problem :D

AnonXO
12-08-2003, 05:08 AM
For all those using block list. Good for you. Have you tried

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/convert.html

You can get update block list in many different formats. As far as I can tell it works.

Risknothin
12-16-2003, 12:28 AM
your newest version removes the expert rules and puts everything in under zones is this right?

james_bond_rulez
12-16-2003, 12:46 AM
no my file remove any settings u have and replace it with customized expert rules blocking bad ip ranges

Risknothin
12-16-2003, 12:54 AM
well i must be doing it wrong because it used to have expert rules but now there is just a bunch of blocked zones. what could i be doing wrong? is it doing the same thing?

james_bond_rulez
12-16-2003, 02:32 AM
you are doing it right but you HAVEN"T BEEN LISTENING TO ME&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

if you read my first post at the end there is a warning

too bad for u if you didn&#39;t see it <_<

Risknothin
12-16-2003, 03:10 AM
no i have it backed up im not worried about that at all. Im just wonderind why instead of the latest update puting the blocked ip&#39;s under Firewall>expert it puts them under Firewall>zones. for example the one of them says "Name: Werner Media èÿ IP/Site: 4.21.181.112 - 4.21.181.127 Entry Type: IP range Zone: Blocked"

Is this doing the same thing as it would if it were under the expert rules?

james_bond_rulez
12-16-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Risknothin@15 December 2003 - 18:10
...why instead of the latest update puting the blocked ip&#39;s under Firewall>expert it puts them under Firewall>zones.
no it doesn&#39;t, it&#39;s under firewall, expert

Risknothin
12-16-2003, 04:30 AM
then why did it do it to mine? I have used all your other updates and this is the only time is has done this

http://www.pride.hofstra.edu/~bdiene1/zonealarm.bmp

And The experts area is empty

http://www.pride.hofstra.edu/~bdiene1/zonealarm2.bmp

Risknothin
12-16-2003, 04:33 AM
don&#39;t get me wrong i really like your program and your updates. but i just want to figure out how to get it to work properly. if you have any ideas tell me please.

Thanks

RN

james_bond_rulez
12-16-2003, 04:34 AM
wow mine looks like this

http://members.lycos.co.uk/xcbvxcvbx/za%20trouble%20shoot.jpg

something must&#39;ve gone wrong in ur setup, others have reported no problems with my file.

U might wanna restore ur original file then set it up again. That&#39;s the best u can hope.

r u sure u have the latest version of za? if not then my file might not work properly.

this file is for za v4.5.530

Risknothin
12-16-2003, 04:39 AM
when i download the xml file off the first post and use it to restore my settings it looks like this

http://www.pride.hofstra.edu/~bdiene1/zonealarm23.bmp

ill just have us the file instead of the ZA update.

yeah i have the latest pro version

james_bond_rulez
12-16-2003, 04:44 AM
yeah that&#39;s what it&#39;s supposed to look like

also i also said on the first post that i only use the program to generate the file so ppl dont have to install the program.

If you have used to program and generated ur own file then u should consult with the program website faq

if you used my file you should have no problem...

Risknothin
12-16-2003, 04:46 AM
then ill just use the file every time its not that big of deal redoing the settings.

thanks

RN

by the way is there a new update coming out?

james_bond_rulez
12-16-2003, 04:48 AM
i am updating right now :lol:

Risknothin
12-16-2003, 04:49 AM
sounds good thanks

james_bond_rulez
12-16-2003, 05:17 AM
ok fine boohoo i got a bunch of crap in my zone now as well :lol:

updated ;)

Risknothin
12-16-2003, 06:45 AM
yeah when i used the new update it put everything in to my zone one. Do you think that doest the same thing?

james_bond_rulez
12-16-2003, 07:00 AM
yeah didn&#39;t i say i got crap in my zone? lool

RealitY
12-16-2003, 08:16 AM
The Expert settings had alot of issues, the new ZAUpdate 2.0 seems to work well and is importing the ranges into Zones which was always more effective and quicker but used to have issues with large blocks which ZAUpdate seems to have fixed, I would suggest you all try ZAUpdate at this point as the bugs seem cleared out...

Risknothin
12-17-2003, 01:28 AM
i used zaupdate 2 last night and it put all the blocked ranges of ip&#39;s into zones rater than expert rules. and now the new xml file in the first post of this topic does the same thing. i was just wondering why and also wondering if these two different things have the same effect.

RN

forcedfx
12-17-2003, 01:40 AM
ZAUpdate version 2.0 and above use the Zones section instead of the Expert groups and rules. Some users had probelms where the expert groups and rules we&#39;re not woprking for them, so I switched methods.

You can use version 1.8 if you&#39;d like or version 2.0 I&#39;d suggest using 2.0 though.

james_bond_rulez
12-17-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by forcedfx@16 December 2003 - 16:40
ZAUpdate version 2.0 and above use the Zones section instead of the Expert groups and rules. Some users had probelms where the expert groups and rules we&#39;re not woprking for them, so I switched methods.

You can use version 1.8 if you&#39;d like or version 2.0 I&#39;d suggest using 2.0 though.
now that&#39;s the guy who wrote the proggy not me lol

just to clear up a few thing <_<

muchspl2
01-06-2004, 09:18 AM
update for da 2k4

james_bond_rulez
01-06-2004, 12:34 PM
:(