PDA

View Full Version : Linux What's your opinion about the recently released gnome 3?

OlegL
04-22-2011, 04:25 PM
What's your opinion about the recently released gnome 3? It was released in early April. I compiled it from freebsd ports (though it's not officially yet in the ports tree). I know that no Linux distro currently ships gnome 3, but it's possible to use gnome 3 if you boot from a live cd or simply compile it from source. I know that Ubuntu will use Unity instead of Gnome for its default desktop. So, I am asking those people who were introduced to gnome3 by booting a live cd or compiling it from source, how do you like it? It's a pretty revolutionary change from gnome2, isn't it? It's more revolutionary than kde4 (and before installing gnome3, I used kde 4.6.2 as my primary desktop environment). I like gnome3's mentality that people shouldn't be distracted by other windows when one window is maximized. It looks like the fastest way to switch between windows in gnome3 is by using the alt+tab combination. But xchat doesn't behave without problems in gnome3. So far, I didn't notice any problems with the way other apps behave in gnome3. Now I am trying to use empathy for irc; I am not sure yet how good empathy is in comparison with xchat when it comes to irc.
So, in conclusion, there is a good chance that now I will use gnome more often than kde. And how do you feel about gnome3?

Cabalo
04-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Do you know of a way to install it on Ubuntu 10.10 ?

OlegL
04-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Nope, but I heard that ubuntu uses ppa repository for recently released software. Maybe it contains gnome 3? But you can always compile gnome from source if you want to.

Cabalo
04-22-2011, 08:43 PM
I hate manually compiling shit... :(

bijoy
04-23-2011, 05:06 PM
I hate manually compiling shit... :(

But manunally compiling is the safest way to go.

OlegL
04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
I know that Ubuntu will feature the Unity shell instead of the gnome shell in its upcoming release, but I also read that it will be possible to install the gnome shell from ubuntu ppa. Since I don't use Ubuntu, I am only familiar with gnome-shell, so don't know which one of those shells is better than the other.